ADVERTISEMENT

Sure quiet here about Region A.,,

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Little opinion/input on Kings Fork/Smithfield and Deep Creek/ Lafayette. Almost like the games were canceled!

I guess over over shadowed by B’s 4 11-0 teams , with 2 feeling the pain late Friday nite and the many D posters.

Little opinion/input on Kings Fork/Smithfield and Deep Creek/ Lafayette. Almost like the games were canceled!

I guess over over shadowed by B’s 4 11-0 teams , with 2 feeling the pain late Friday nite and the many D posters.
There aren’t but what maybe 5 posters from that region. It’s not being overlooked it’s just no one there to post

That's my home region, but because I live out of the area, I usually only see one or two games before the playoffs and have to rely on friends and the media for insight. To be honest, I know very little about the bay rivers district. That being said, I expect KF to win comfortably and DC to edge out Lafayette in a physical game.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Considering 90% of the content is aimed at the 757 IDK why we don’t have many posters from the Tidewater area

Reactions: OCBoy
That's my home region, but because I live out of the area, I usually only see one or two games before the playoffs and have to rely on friends and the media for insight. To be honest, I know very little about the bay rivers district. That being said, I expect KF to win comfortably and DC to edge out Lafayette in a physical game.
Come one now. Don't you know that you don't have to see these games to have an expert opinion??

I'm quiet for a couple reasons...first and foremost, my wife's health is number 1.

Secondly, I am a Smithfield Packer fan. Fan, not a fanatic. I'm enjoying our season for what it is. We are playing some good football today. We aren't perfect. I have watched a TON of high school football over my adult life. Enough to know that the best course of action for me is to hand out congratulations and compliments after the games are played. Do I think we can win this Friday? Of course! But I'm humble enough and respectful enough to keep my pre-game thoughts in check. KF IS one of the best 3 teams we've played this year.....take a look....we've already lost to Lafayette and Dinwiddie. After Friday night, they may prove to be the best team we've played all year. Everyone is 0-0 (in theory)...KF is my Route 10 neighbor, nothing but respect for that program and those hard working kids over there. They are having a heck of a season. The LT win was huge for our program last week....I was probably one of only a handful of folks on here that wasn't surprised by our W. I will say that I wasn't at the game, but I have spoken to several people that were in attendance and they have told me that the Pack should have won by 35 or more points. Mistakes and miscues...we aren't perfect. Reference the "if a bullfrog had wings" story....

The 4B crowd is hilarious, there's a ton of testosterone being thrown around for those four 11-0 teams. It's fun to read, I'm just glad I don't have a dog in that fight. I might be inclined to join the fray as well....LOL

I'm content to sit back and watch things unfold. Nothing I say or do on this message board will alter what happens come Friday night. I might be mellowing a bit in my later years or maybe I've just come to realize what's really more important to me, today.

Still holding out hope that I'll be able to attend Friday, and that my Packers can pull off a huge win this week. If not, we will give it another go next season.

I'm quiet for a couple reasons...first and foremost, my wife's health is number 1.

Secondly, I am a Smithfield Packer fan. Fan, not a fanatic. I'm enjoying our season for what it is. We are playing some good football today. We aren't perfect. I have watched a TON of high school football over my adult life. Enough to know that the best course of action for me is to hand out congratulations and compliments after the games are played. Do I think we can win this Friday? Of course! But I'm humble enough and respectful enough to keep my pre-game thoughts in check. KF IS one of the best 3 teams we've played this year.....take a look....we've already lost to Lafayette and Dinwiddie. After Friday night, they may prove to be the best team we've played all year. Everyone is 0-0 (in theory)...KF is my Route 10 neighbor, nothing but respect for that program and those hard working kids over there. They are having a heck of a season. The LT win was huge for our program last week....I was probably one of only a handful of folks on here that wasn't surprised by our W. I will say that I wasn't at the game, but I have spoken to several people that were in attendance and they have told me that the Pack should have won by 35 or more points. Mistakes and miscues...we aren't perfect. Reference the "if a bullfrog had wings" story....

The 4B crowd is hilarious, there's a ton of testosterone being thrown around for those four 11-0 teams. It's fun to read, I'm just glad I don't have a dog in that fight. I might be inclined to join the fray as well....LOL

I'm content to sit back and watch things unfold. Nothing I say or do on this message board will alter what happens come Friday night. I might be mellowing a bit in my later years or maybe I've just come to realize what's really more important to me, today.

Still holding out hope that I'll be able to attend Friday, and that my Packers can pull off a huge win this week. If not, we will give it another go next season.
As you know from my prior posting I also thought Smithfield would win against LT. I thought they would score more, so your comment on attendees indicating miscues etc makes sense. KF is heavily favored but.., Oscar Smith showed you can pass on them some and with WD and avoiding mistakes and turnovers Smithfield can pass very well. It’s KF passing that is the issue. It is dynamic. If we weren’t playing same time I’d love to see the Smithfield game.

Reactions: gwb16
As you know from my prior posting I also thought Smithfield would win against LT. I thought they would score more, so your comment on attendees indicating miscues etc makes sense. KF is heavily favored but.., Oscar Smith showed you can pass on them some and with WD and avoiding mistakes and turnovers Smithfield can pass very well. It’s KF passing that is the issue. It is dynamic. If we weren’t playing same time I’d love to see the Smithfield game.
Wonder if I could Facebook Live video feed? LOL

LT only mustered 123 yards against us. That's not the only team we've held to under 150 this year. It's been a multiple game occurrence. Our aggressiveness on defense opened up Lafayette's passing game tremendously. It's a fine balance. KF also has a tremendous running game. It's a HUGE task to say the least.

Regarding Smithfield... We all know they can play ball. I just wonder if they will be able to get enough stops against KF. I know they will do their fair share of scoring.

Regarding Smithfield... We all know they can play ball. I just wonder if they will be able to get enough stops against KF. I know they will do their fair share of scoring.
KF defense isn't a slouch either. You don't run 9-1 in that district without playing good D.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Fork's defense is 2 in the South Eastern District.

You will not run up the middle as there are two DTs who will likely play Power 5 college ball. Behind them is a young LBer who has similar potential.

The defensive ends are not joke. On one side is the kid that was the state runner up at 195 in wrestling. Short, compact, strong. If Kings Fork had to pick a kid to represent their program's mascot, it would be him. He's a bulldog. The other side is a lengthy athletic kid who has made HUGE plays this year on defense. A tipped pass that he intercepted against DC, constant pressure on the QB against Smith and a sack. He's also having a huge senior year at receiver. He's great size and has been able to go up and get the ball against anyone that's been put in front of him this year.

I will say that while two of our DBs are very good, they other two have been timid and out of place at times. That's when we have gotten beat.

That's the defense. The offense is hard to stop for 4 quarters, ask Oscar Smith. Smith had allowed ~20 points or so in their SED games. Kings Fork scored 21 in 12 minutes.

Justin German has played great and made great decisions the last few weeks. Really getting hot at the right time. The receiving core is also very dynamic. The slot receivers are dangerous. Bobby Boone (#1) is very fast. He has had issues with drops this year though. Two against DC that would have been 6 and the same story against Smith, two dropped that would have been TDs. Usually he comes back and makes up for it by scoring on the third try or taking a jet sweep in from 60 yards out. The other slot is probably the most underrated receiver in the state. Cherrod Joe (#6) is an animal. Not the fastest by any stretch but he looks for contact when he has the ball. Made the game winning grab against Smith. Catches anything around him. Jumped over a DC player. Just a great receiver. Sam Dunn, the defensive end, is also playing great. Usually gets a couple jump balls thrown his way. Comes down with most of them. Sure hands. Smart with the ball. The other outside guy has had a quiet senior year. Sure handed, hasn't dropped a pass to this point that I've seen.

Haven't even mentioned the running game. Darran Butts. SED Offensive Player of the year. 1300+ yards and 20+ TDs. Guy is a homerun threat any time he gets a touch. No one will catch him, not even with an angle. He split two safetys last week, I know it was Jamestown, but the ability to see it, attack it, and take it for 6 was impressive against anyone.

I can't wait for Friday. I don't have anything against Smithfield. I think WD is phenomenal. I just don't see them keeping it close. I don't believe they've seen the speed that KF has. I've seen Dinwidde film and Lafayette. They have good physical players and a couple guys that can run. KF has tough physical guys that can run, then they just have the other guys who can flat out fly. I think that'll be the difference, has been to this point.

Fork's defense is 2 in the South Eastern District.

You will not run up the middle as there are two DTs who will likely play Power 5 college ball. Behind them is a young LBer who has similar potential.

The defensive ends are not joke. On one side is the kid that was the state runner up at 195 in wrestling. Short, compact, strong. If Kings Fork had to pick a kid to represent their program's mascot, it would be him. He's a bulldog. The other side is a lengthy athletic kid who has made HUGE plays this year on defense. A tipped pass that he intercepted against DC, constant pressure on the QB against Smith and a sack. He's also having a huge senior year at receiver. He's great size and has been able to go up and get the ball against anyone that's been put in front of him this year.

I will say that while two of our DBs are very good, they other two have been timid and out of place at times. That's when we have gotten beat.

That's the defense. The offense is hard to stop for 4 quarters, ask Oscar Smith. Smith had allowed ~20 points or so in their SED games. Kings Fork scored 21 in 12 minutes.

Justin German has played great and made great decisions the last few weeks. Really getting hot at the right time. The receiving core is also very dynamic. The slot receivers are dangerous. Bobby Boone (#1) is very fast. He has had issues with drops this year though. Two against DC that would have been 6 and the same story against Smith, two dropped that would have been TDs. Usually he comes back and makes up for it by scoring on the third try or taking a jet sweep in from 60 yards out. The other slot is probably the most underrated receiver in the state. Cherrod Joe (#6) is an animal. Not the fastest by any stretch but he looks for contact when he has the ball. Made the game winning grab against Smith. Catches anything around him. Jumped over a DC player. Just a great receiver. Sam Dunn, the defensive end, is also playing great. Usually gets a couple jump balls thrown his way. Comes down with most of them. Sure hands. Smart with the ball. The other outside guy has had a quiet senior year. Sure handed, hasn't dropped a pass to this point that I've seen.

Haven't even mentioned the running game. Darran Butts. SED Offensive Player of the year. 1300+ yards and 20+ TDs. Guy is a homerun threat any time he gets a touch. No one will catch him, not even with an angle. He split two safetys last week, I know it was Jamestown, but the ability to see it, attack it, and take it for 6 was impressive against anyone.

I can't wait for Friday. I don't have anything against Smithfield. I think WD is phenomenal. I just don't see them keeping it close. I don't believe they've seen the speed that KF has. I've seen Dinwidde film and Lafayette. They have good physical players and a couple guys that can run. KF has tough physical guys that can run, then they just have the other guys who can flat out fly. I think that'll be the difference, has been to this point.

I definitely agree with the "speed" comment. I don't believe we have played a team with the speed that KF brings. Dinwiddie played exceptionally fast and used a power game when needed. I'm fairly confident that it'll be a good game, you won't be lining up against Jamestown. Good luck Friday....if it looks like I can make it, I'll let you know so we can meet for a quick minute.

I definitely agree with the "speed" comment. I don't believe we have played a team with the speed that KF brings. Dinwiddie played exceptionally fast and used a power game when needed. I'm fairly confident that it'll be a good game, you won't be lining up against Jamestown. Good luck Friday....if it looks like I can make it, I'll let you know so we can meet for a quick minute.

Haha, certainly won't be lining up against Jamestown. I think the VHSL needs to look at their system. Jamestown should not have made the playoffs. They didn't even want to play. That can lead to kids getting hurt, on both sides. Moreso the Jamestown side because in the game of football if you're out there and you don't want to be that's when you get hurt.

I didn't mean for it to come off like comparing y'all against Jamestown. Fork definitely respects Smithfield and what they've done this year. It was more of a confidence in how these guys are playing right now. They believe they are the best team in the state and are taking things very seriously to prove it. They feel disrespected by the folks here in the 757. All the Oscar Smith talk, the New Creek talk, couple other district teams getting more love. They have a chip on their shoulder and looking for a state title no matter who is in the way.

Reactions: 1Gensfan and gwb16
Haha, certainly won't be lining up against Jamestown. I think the VHSL needs to look at their system. Jamestown should not have made the playoffs. They didn't even want to play. That can lead to kids getting hurt, on both sides. Moreso the Jamestown side because in the game of football if you're out there and you don't want to be that's when you get hurt.

I didn't mean for it to come off like comparing y'all against Jamestown. Fork definitely respects Smithfield and what they've done this year. It was more of a confidence in how these guys are playing right now. They believe they are the best team in the state and are taking things very seriously to prove it. They feel disrespected by the folks here in the 757. All the Oscar Smith talk, the New Creek talk, couple other district teams getting more love. They have a chip on their shoulder and looking for a state title no matter who is in the way.
That video of the winning catch against OS was awesome. I don’t know if in High School I’ve seen a better leaping catch and fast sprint to the end zone. Don’t know many DB’s that stop that play. Makes me believe to forget the extra coverage and just do blitz schemes and take your chances. Prevent never works anyway.

That video of the winning catch against OS was awesome. I don’t know if in High School I’ve seen a better leaping catch and fast sprint to the end zone. Don’t know many DB’s that stop that play. Makes me believe to forget the extra coverage and just do blitz schemes and take your chances. Prevent never works anyway.

Prevent defense prevents teams from winning.

For our QB, if he's ever in doubt just throw it 6's way. Cherrod Joe has made plays like that for 2 years now in this offense. It's even more fun to watch him catch a slant and run over a linebacker.

I didn't take it that way...I was only "fueling" the excitement! LOL
Jamestown was making huge strides then they dumped...or forced out their coach, he landed at Lee-Davis. Ever since he left, they have been horrible. Crazy thing is they have had HUGE successes in other sports. I don't get it. The VHSL is in a really bad spot. I know a lot of folks will scream about it, but give 1 & 2 seeds a buy in the regionals....let the top 6 give it a go. This season in particular was a bad situation. The Eagles had no business traveling to Suffolk last week.
Kevin Knight is doing some nice work at Lakeland. NR is always full of good to great athletes. KF has been just a play or two or player or two away from being a legitimate threat each and every weekend. It's getting noticed. I wonder if Joe Jones regrets leaving KF? LOL! Maybe the tide has turned for your Bulldogs. Just keep those kids focused on the academics and out of the other distractions. I am good friends with 2 guys that used to be administrators at KF, I know the struggles.

Reactions: ForksUp
I didn't take it that way...I was only "fueling" the excitement! LOL
Jamestown was making huge strides then they dumped...or forced out their coach, he landed at Lee-Davis. Ever since he left, they have been horrible. Crazy thing is they have had HUGE successes in other sports. I don't get it. The VHSL is in a really bad spot. I know a lot of folks will scream about it, but give 1 & 2 seeds a buy in the regionals....let the top 6 give it a go. This season in particular was a bad situation. The Eagles had no business traveling to Suffolk last week.
Kevin Knight is doing some nice work at Lakeland. NR is always full of good to great athletes. KF has been just a play or two or player or two away from being a legitimate threat each and every weekend. It's getting noticed. I wonder if Joe Jones regrets leaving KF? LOL! Maybe the tide has turned for your Bulldogs. Just keep those kids focused on the academics and out of the other distractions. I am good friends with 2 guys that used to be administrators at KF, I know the struggles.

It's funny how a school forces out a coach that is having success and then struggles to win games. Pete Gale and Great Bridge come to mind. He's the defensive coordinator at KF now, Great Bridge has won like 3 game in the last two years with none this year.

I like Joe. Really nice guy, very approachable. He had good success but I don't think he was ever going to get these guys to play like this. He wanted to be a power team with a school full of cheetahs. This spread fits them much better. Plus I think coach Littles is able to relate to these kids in a way Joe couldn't. Again, nothing against Joe, Coach Littles is just young and speaks the same language.

I think that helps when it comes to the issues you are referring to. These aren't bad kids. Just kids put in bad situations and learn to act a certain way. Coach Littles and his staff will not give up on a kid. I know that first hand. He took kids to college visits to show them that there are other possibilities for their lives. They don't have to follow the same path that they've seen. It's helped. Cherrod is getting closer and closer to getting eligible to get a college scholarship. He's doing what he needs to in the classroom to get there. I personally am very proud of that young man and could sit here and go on and on about him. Just a great kid. Respectful. A leader. Works hard. Those values have always been there. Coach Littles didn't instill those in him. What Coach Littles did was help him realize those values and give him opportunities to build on them and become a better all around person, not just a phenomenal football player. Things are changing at Fork. With the continued help of the administration, because there will be times they have to take a risk on a kid to do the right thing, these young men will become leaders in the hallways as well and that will extend to other students. It's a process. Trust the process.

Reactions: gwb16
It's funny how a school forces out a coach that is having success and then struggles to win games. Pete Gale and Great Bridge come to mind. He's the defensive coordinator at KF now, Great Bridge has won like 3 game in the last two years with none this year.

I like Joe. Really nice guy, very approachable. He had good success but I don't think he was ever going to get these guys to play like this. He wanted to be a power team with a school full of cheetahs. This spread fits them much better. Plus I think coach Littles is able to relate to these kids in a way Joe couldn't. Again, nothing against Joe, Coach Littles is just young and speaks the same language.

I think that helps when it comes to the issues you are referring to. These aren't bad kids. Just kids put in bad situations and learn to act a certain way. Coach Littles and his staff will not give up on a kid. I know that first hand. He took kids to college visits to show them that there are other possibilities for their lives. They don't have to follow the same path that they've seen. It's helped. Cherrod is getting closer and closer to getting eligible to get a college scholarship. He's doing what he needs to in the classroom to get there. I personally am very proud of that young man and could sit here and go on and on about him. Just a great kid. Respectful. A leader. Works hard. Those values have always been there. Coach Littles didn't instill those in him. What Coach Littles did was help him realize those values and give him opportunities to build on them and become a better all around person, not just a phenomenal football player. Things are changing at Fork. With the continued help of the administration, because there will be times they have to take a risk on a kid to do the right thing, these young men will become leaders in the hallways as well and that will extend to other students. It's a process. Trust the process.
Trust me, I COMPLETELY understand. I've seen those kids on the "fringe", just teetering between the two choices at Smithfield. Football has kept quite a few from taking the wrong step. It's a challenge to keep some of these kids pointed in the right direction. I can't even begin to tell you how many times through the years I have personally seen a kid out and about, late at night and challenged him in front of his peers. IDGAF, I'll call 'em out if needed. LOL! Sometimes all it takes is someone other than the coach or teacher or parent to make a mark. Positive reinforcement goes a long way.

Joe is a good guy, but he's the smash mouth type and I agree with you. His style was winning games, just not the games that mattered the most. I think coach Littles and Coach Chavis are pretty much cut from the same mold. The kids at Smithfield have truly bought into his program. I'm kind of excited to see what he can sow in the years to come.

Good stuff....I could go on and on about the virtues and values of sports for our youth. Lessons that can never been learned in the classroom, but sure as hell work hand in hand with the books.

Ugh....let me stop....I'll start sounding like the preacher on Sunday morning...LMAO!

Best thing to happen at Lafayette was head coach Andy Linn after being named as New AD, recinding his acceptance and wanting to remain as head football coach. He loved the game and players too much to hand it off to some one else. Second best thing was the excellent head football coach at Grafton and one of his assistants coming over to Lafayette’s football program this year. A great group of coaches in place.

Best thing to happen at Lafayette was head coach Andy Linn after being named as New AD, recinding his acceptance and wanting to remain as head football coach. He loved the game and players too much to hand it off to some one else. Second best thing was the excellent head football coach at Grafton and one of his assistants coming over to Lafayette’s football program this year. A great group of coaches in place.
I agree with that 110%. Coach Linn's staff, which was already one of the best in the 757 made a major score this past off season.

Reactions: DivePitchKeep

Kings Fork has 3 coaches on the staff with head coaching experience. Current head coach Scottie Littles, former Great Bridge head coach Pete Gale, and former Bishop Sullivan head coach Carl Turner. Carl was the one who was fired after winning a state championship, he was beating teams by to much. Also, the current OC for KF is Casey Turner who was the OC for that Bishop Sullivan championship team and also played for Pete Gale at Great Bridge.

Reactions: Lafayette and gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT