ADVERTISEMENT

Tell me about tripping a ball carrier.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I know a defender can reach out and trip the ball carrier with his hand. But can they use their foot to do the same?

I know a defender can reach out and trip the ball carrier with his hand. But can they use their foot to do the same?
Tripping is tripping, whether it's the hand or foot. So tripping a runner with the foot is legal. Best way to think of it is tripping is just another form of tackling. Legal on the runner, illegal on anyone else.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Ok, I learned something tonight. (And believe me, there is a lot of lonely brain cells up there with nothing to do!) For whatever reason, I though deliberately reaching out with your foot to make a takle via tripping was illegal. That's why you do what you do, and I just sit in the stands and pretend I know more than you do. LOL

Thanks.

Reactions: VAOfficial
I believe tripping the ball carrier is illegal in NCAA and I'm sure it's illegal in the NFL. No problem in high school. I never see it done.

I would guess what is described here is what some would call a "shoestring tackle"?

I would guess what is described here is what some would call a "shoestring tackle"?

A shoestring tackle is one where a tackler reaches out and barely touches the foot of the ball carrier, but it's enough to cause loss of balance.

Tripping is an intentional act using the foot or lower leg, not the hand. It's illegal to trip any opponent other than the ball carrier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT