ADVERTISEMENT

The Battlefield for 2 October

ChancellorFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 20, 2001
Every team in the Battlefield is back this week except for King George. King George beat Norcom last week and is taking a breather before starting into District play. The rest of the Battlefield is using this week to get ready for what is being set up as some very competitive District games. Those will come early and often after this week.

Lets see what this week has in store.

Caroline @ King William

King William is a pretty good 2A football team and can be dangerous. They haven’t started out this year as good as in the past though. Caroline is putting things together fast. While thy have allowed way too many points this year, they have managed to rack up some of their own. This game has all the makings of being really good! And I have faith in the Cavaliers and what they have been doing in Caroline County. The Cavaliers out a check in the W box and get their first well-deserved win of the year.

Chancellor vs. James River

The Chargers continue their brutal schedule this week. James River is a 6A team that went to deep in the playoffs last year. Unfortunately, they last a lot to graduation. The Chargers are on a mission. They haven’t played a soft game yet this year and this one won’t be either. I don’t see James River being able to deal with the multiple threats that the Chargers have and the way they keep using them. Additionally, this is the Chargers Home Coming and this squad wants to give the alumni an action packed and thrilling evening. The Chargers will take the W!

Courtland vs. Liberty Bealton

Courtland is on a roll and is looking to make a good run in the playoffs. To say they are loaded is an understatement. Liberty is a really good team as well and would love nothing more than to put a wrinkle in the Cougars record. This one has the makings of a slugfest. I wouldn’t look for Courtland to be denied though. Courtland’s ground attack will rule the night. The Cougars get the W.

King George (2-3)

Bye week.

James Monroe vs. Essex

Stand by! Maury stadium is going to rock this week! Essex is absolutely no slouch! JM isn’t either and both of these teams are capable of taking it to the house on a moments notice. Look for both of these in game 11. They’ll both be there. I don’t see the Trojans raining on the Jackets parade though. They’ll be in Maury and the Jackets aren’t planning on anything other than another W. That’s what they’ll get too! JM with the win!

Spotsylvania vs. Washington & Lee

The Knights are on the verge of putting it together under the new coaching staff and offensive scheme. I know they have been working really hard and the effort is paying off. W&L is no easy task and will give Spotsy a tough night out! This is the week the Knights turn a corner though and they are up for the challenge. Might be a little messy but the Knights get the W.

There is one thing to keep in mind this week. It is the last week any of the Battlefield teams play non-District games. That also means that after this week, half of the regular season is done! Get out there and cheer your favorite team on. Their hard work deserves your attention! Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

Good luck to all the Battlefield teams and their coaching staffs!

Lets go Battlefield District!!!!!!

Last edited:
How is Essex at defending speed on the outside? And the read option and a jet sweep? That is what JM does, and does it very well. I know Essex is as good or better than the Essex teams over the last few years. So I just have to figure their defense is solid?

You are right about Maury, I hope the weather is good. I'm sure the crowd will be large. The place should rock. Essex fans better plan to stand. Visitors seating is minimal. But I loved that stadium. (I went up for our JV game). You've heard me wax nostalgic before. I love old schools and old stadiums. I'm also guessing that parking is at a premium? I had no problem at the JV game, but I didn't see an awful lot of off-street parking. And a suggestion to Essex fans. If you are reading this thread, no doubt you know where Maury is. But if you have friends that haven't been there, remind them that it is not at the high school.

No offense to my Essex friends, but I'm rooting for JM. We need the rider point.

Essex is pretty good. So is their defense. The last few times I've seen these teams play, they were some of the most exciting games I've ever seen. Lots of points, big plays and leads that go back and forth. For a team with only 20 - 25 kids on it, Essex really puts up one hell of a fight. Wish I could see this one.

How is Essex at defending speed on the outside? And the read option and a jet sweep? That is what JM does, and does it very well. I know Essex is as good or better than the Essex teams over the last few years. So I just have to figure their defense is solid?

You are right about Maury, I hope the weather is good. I'm sure the crowd will be large. The place should rock. Essex fans better plan to stand. Visitors seating is minimal. But I loved that stadium. (I went up for our JV game). You've heard me wax nostalgic before. I love old schools and old stadiums. I'm also guessing that parking is at a premium? I had no problem at the JV game, but I didn't see an awful lot of off-street parking. And a suggestion to Essex fans. If you are reading this thread, no doubt you know where Maury is. But if you have friends that haven't been there, remind them that it is not at the high school.

No offense to my Essex friends, but I'm rooting for JM. We need the rider point.

Saw them play KG earlier this year and even though they are quick they seem to be not as quick as some of the Essex teams of the past. they have the biggest o line I have seen this year! the foxes played right with them for three quarters but lost it in the fourth quarter! Essex has a couple quick short backs that hide in behind the huge lineman and shoot out behind them to run effectively! they usually throw a lot but in the KG game they didn't throw that much. should be a good one but all in all I think the jackets will pull it out.

Trust me Dinwoddie Proud if any team knows JM it's Essex. This is an old rivalry coming back to life. The Essex fans know all about Maury!

Caroline @ King William - This is a tough one. Isn't King William also the Cavaliers - so you can't go wrong by just saying the Cavaliers will win! King William usually wins when they play and it's usually not close. I'm going to agree with ChancellorFan and take Caroline this time though. They've been scoring a lot this season and this could be the week that they score enough to win. I'm not going to be surprised if King William wins though,

Chancellor vs. James River - I'm taking Chancellor. This might be the best team they've played outside of Massaponax. Should be a good game.

Courtland vs. Liberty Bealton - I'll take Courtland by a couple of scores.

James Monroe vs. Essex - Before JM moved from AA to A for a few years in the 90s (I think it was), I'm not sure they had ever played. In the short time JM was in the NND, they built a nice rivalry and I'm glad they continue to play each other. It's usually a real good game when these two play. Wasn't really close last year when they played. JM got up quickly and Essex never got back in the game. This year's JM team is different from last years; but in some respects is better than last years team. Essex looks to be better than last year too. I have JM in a good game.

Spotsylvania vs. Washington & Lee - This is a tough one too, Washington & Lee has been up and down. I'll take Spotsy.

This a week in the Battlefield where no winner should be a surprise. All contests could go either way. Of course there are favorites, but every "underdog" here is perfectly capable of winning. Should be fun.

King William
James River
Courtland (and its not close)
James Monroe
Spotsylvania

Also heard Courtland may move their game to Thursday night with the impending weather and homecoming........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT