ADVERTISEMENT

The blocked field goal problem.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
What happened at the Monacan/Lake Taylor game actually happens a lot more than you might think. There are films all over the Internet of games ending in similar fashion.

It's a problem and I'll tell you why. Extra points. The rules say that when a kick on a try (the official word for extra point attempt in the rule book) fails, the play is over. No one has to cover up the kick. Everyone has seen games end on blocked extra points and kids run off the field and celebrate, but in high school the field goal attempt probably happens only about 1/5 as often (if even that), but a place kick (or drop kick) is just like a punt in every way except that it can score points if passes through the uprights. The kick block team is used to the rules on a point after touchdown, not a field goal, and while they probably remember what to do when there's time on the clock, it's very possible to forget it when you just think you've pulled off a miracle victory with no time left on the clock.

Yes, coaches should teach the rules, but I'm sure they do and I'm sure Monacan did, but if you've ever coached you know that you can tell the kids something 900 times and practice it and practice it and then in the game, they do something different. I don't believe the rule should be changed or anything, but our first instinct is to ridicule the Chiefs, but I think we all know there is a 95% chance if we'd been out there we wouldn't have been the one lone kid remembering to cover that football.

I don't think the Lake Taylor kids immediately realized they could pick it up and advance it, either. There have been a lot of wild finishes to playoff games over the years, but this one might be remembered more than any other.

We're all proud of the Chiefs and impressed by you guys and the Titans. I'm sure you guys have a lot of respect for one another that will last forever. Monacan's coach could not have been classier after the game as I saw the post game interviews and footage of him congratulating the Lake Taylor players. He made me a fan. We need more classy men like him working with our youth.

The rule should be same for both PATs and FGs. I saw a blocked FG a few years back. No one on field knew ruling, not coaches, not refs, not players.

Matt, you and I have known each other for a long time and your last sentence could not be more true. I have known the Hendersons even longer and the entire family is that way. I have been taught by, coached with, and taught with them and can say that I am a better person because of it. The youth of Hopewell have been blessed by the Hendersons for so long and it is refreshing to see the next generation of Hendersons continuing that commitment to the youth that they are around

There are classless coaches out there, I had a post about a team taken off the board because i said one team and coach was just that after the poor sportsmanship they displayed in losing. I Have never watch them play or know anything about the program. You are exactly right, we need coaches like this. They were devastated and his actions show what kind of man he is and it teaches his kids how to act.

Lack or preparedness or knowledge is not an excuse, or a reason to change an otherwise simple rule that has been in place for something like 100 years. It's like you guys that only want to pass. You really don't understand the game of football and what it's supposed to be. I really do wish you people like this would focus more on soccer, and leave us alone.

ADVERTISEMENT