ADVERTISEMENT

The Grafton Clippers

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Located in historic and beautiful York County, Grafton High school is a relatively new addition. Opened in 1996, the Clippers have none the less made their mark in academics as well as athletics. Having won states championships in several events, they have struggled to make progress in the football playoffs.

Typically, the Clippers post a winning season. Playing in the crowded 10 member Bay Rivers District, they seldom have the opportunity to be challenged by other teams in the region, until playoff time. I feel like this puts them at a bit of a deficit.

After being dominated by Kings Fork in the opening round of the playoffs in 2014, their season ended in 2015 with a one point loss to Heritage, (NN), 35-34.

What do we know about their chances going into this 2016 season? Looking at incomplete information on their team, it looks like size will be a problem for them. I didn't see much "beef" returning. I'm guessing 5-5, or 6-4, with no playoff appearance this year.

What do you think?

One thing that I find very surprising is the fact that their enrollment is shrinking and they are in a position to possibly drop to 3a in 2017. That is a fairly vibrant area economically. I wonder what is behind this?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT