ADVERTISEMENT

The Handley Judges James R. Wilkins Jr. Stadium ... is there anything prettier?

VerizonSportsFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 2, 2003
Dkp81avW0AAS0_d.jpg

Great for watching a track meet. For watching a football game Salem Stadium is better.

Nothing in Virginia is comparable to Handley. Their are bigger and louder, but none as scenic. Heck it is better than all the D-3 colleges in VA in my opinion.
Great for a track meet. Not so good for watching football game. Salem Stadium bigger, louder, and better to watch the game.

Reactions: OCBoy
Installing lights and having night games would make it premier
Well it is debatable , it would also probably increase attendance to games . But I don’t think Winchester politicians will allow it . I actually like the Saturday day games at Handley for a change of pace . The field is in right in the middle of some the wealthiest housing area of Winchester and I think some would think night games would intrude on the piece and quiet of the neighborhood . I like what Handley has done with the field , the new coach will possibly bring energy to the football program also.

The Judges James R. Wilkins Jr. Stadium has to be one of the best on school site facilities around the commonwealth.

Salem Stadium is owned by the City of Salem and not on the grounds of Salem High ... correct?

The steps of Handley High remind one of the ever so famous touchdown Jesus.

I would love see the talent of the Warriors of Sherando on that field every Saturday afternoon.

Handley has the talent , the coaching at Sherando is very high quality. I think Handley is on the right track, just went through a bad stage. Handley has had great teams in the past , just need to get that positive energy back.

Handley has the talent , the coaching at Sherando is very high quality. I think Handley is on the right track, just went through a bad stage. Handley has had great teams in the past , just need to get that positive energy back.
They need consistency

The Judges James R. Wilkins Jr. Stadium has to be one of the best on school site facilities around the commonwealth.

Salem Stadium is owned by the City of Salem and not on the grounds of Salem High ... correct?
Not on School grounds, but built for football only. Technically all public schools and their grounds owned by city

Been to both many times , both are nice . Didn’t know it was a competition with Salem. But if I had to pick one , I will take Handley.
I don't like football stadiums with tracks around the field. Flattens out your view. Not as enjoyable to watch, you miss stuff. At Salem you look down on the field and can see everything. Stadium has great parking allowing for short walks. Locker rooms are outstanding and both perfectly located in end zone. Also, great lights--- no shadows on the field.

Their AD has left Handley HS and is now the new AD at Highland Springs HS. I hear Mr. Lilly is very much pro football. I would love to see big improvements to HS's stadium!

Smell better than you ;) btw..Met some good dudes who graduated from Sherando this past year tonight at the VCU Rec playing basketball. We all had good laughs and trash talked. I told them that no Sherando Warrior can play on my pick up basketball team except TJ and JoJo LOL!!
Well TJ can play pretty good basketball , he will start this year most likely . now JOJo ! I am sure he can play ok but I have never seen him on the court . Would be a sight ,because he is a big boy , probably be a good rebounder. He would be kind of like the enforcer down low haha

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I don't like football stadiums with tracks around the field. Flattens out your view. Not as enjoyable to watch, you miss stuff. At Salem you look down on the field and can see everything. Stadium has great parking allowing for short walks. Locker rooms are outstanding and both perfectly located in end zone. Also, great lights--- no shadows on the field.
Salem definitely has the best stadium to watch a game. As far as best stadium on school grounds, Franklin County has that won by a mile. I’ve been to many stadiums. I liked Louisa too but it was really tight.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Salem definitely has the best stadium to watch a game. As far as best stadium on school grounds, Franklin County has that won by a mile. I’ve been to many stadiums. I liked Louisa too but it was really tight.
Comparing Handley to Salem is really a tough job. It's like apples and oranges, and I love both. The beauty and uniqueness of Handley is not duplicated in the state. Salem has a feel all to itself. A lot like a college stadium, but it has a comfortable "high school" atmosphere.

You know I like old stadiums, so I really enjoyed the field that James Monroe plays on. Isn't it call Maury?

And I've been to Merner Field in Hopewell so many times, that it actually feels like home. It's one of those old style concrete stadiums with concrete walls all the way around. Just a fun place to watch a football game.

But, if I had to pick only one, Handley would get my vote.

I like Wanner stadium where Lafayette plays in Williamsburg. That’s a nice stadium to watch a game at

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
i Would like to see Handley improve the game atmosphere before , and during the game ......it’s a beaitiful setting , but sometimes it can be a little boring listening to the announcer they have .....very low key monotone ....and also it would be great if the City of Winchester showed more support at the Handley home games . Most times Sherando plays there , we outnumber the fans on the home side overflowing on the visitors side. I reckon if Handley starts winning more games as I expect them to do , it will help the attendance

i Would like to see Handley improve the game atmosphere before , and during the game ......it’s a beaitiful setting , but sometimes it can be a little boring listening to the announcer they have .....very low key monotone ....and also it would be great if the City of Winchester showed more support at the Handley home games . Most times Sherando plays there , we outnumber the fans on the home side overflowing on the visitors side. I reckon if Handley starts winning more games as I expect them to do , it will help the attendance

Attendance will never be comparable to Sherando's because Saturday afternoon's ... you have a bunch of Handley alumn following their respective college teams.

Attendance will be good for Millbrook, Sherando and most likely James Wood games and that's it because the opponents will have a very good following.

Now if Handley ever makes the playoffs, then crowd will be larger than normal.

Bottom line ... Handley will most likely never see the glorious times like in their hay days because their demographics have changed big-time when compared to 1984 and 1994 state title teams. Nobody can dispute that!

Attendance will never be comparable to Sherando's because Saturday afternoon's ... you have a bunch of Handley alumn following their respective college teams.

Attendance will be good for Millbrook, Sherando and most likely James Wood games and that's it because the opponents will have a very good following.

Now if Handley ever makes the playoffs, then crowd will be larger than normal.

Bottom line ... Handley will most likely never see the glorious times like in their hay days because their demographics have changed big-time when compared to 1984 and 1994 state title teams. Nobody can dispute that!
Demographics have changed for everyone including Sherando , just means you have to get better at the little things . Better coaching, better offseason programs , keep kids ingaged all year long , and make it fun to be on the football team. Just my opinion.

Handley 53% white, 24% Hispanic, 11% black.
Sherando 80% white, 11% Hispanic, 6% black

Source: Greatschools.org

Salem's stadium was built for college games. Handley's has a ton of character. I have been to Salem's and not Handley's yet, but I'd take Handley's any day.
That is incorrect. Salem Stadium was built for one purpose and one purpose only, for Salem football. College games have been played there but that was an afterthought once they built such a great Stadium. The entire story of how it got built is interesting. The architect visited some Texas high school stadiums before designing this one. Also the mayor of Salem told the architect to make it nicer than Pulaski's right down to having a bigger American flag. It was never built for anything else other than Salem football. Salem has more seating, better parking, a better view of the game, nicer and more convenient locker rooms, and superior lighting. Handley has aesthetics. I'll take the functionality and atmosphere of Salem. Also I do not like any football stadium with a track around it for previously stated reasons

Last edited:
Reactions: salemfan32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT