ADVERTISEMENT

This was a question posted on the 4a thread.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
NewI think someone on here seemed very rule savvy, so I have a question on leaping in HS. I have seen our players flagged for hurdling defenders and I have seen some hurdling on film not called (supposed to be 15 yd penalty). What is the rule? Is it a judgment call? I also wondered why the PH QB was not called for trying to leap over the pile at the goal line (twice). Even though he was unsuccessful, is that not the same idea? Someone had mentioned it in another thread, but man that was a heck of a goal line stand. A few penalties by both teams and it was like 9 plays long (included a few from the 5ish).

NewI think someone on here seemed very rule savvy, so I have a question on leaping in HS. I have seen our players flagged for hurdling defenders and I have seen some hurdling on film not called (supposed to be 15 yd penalty). What is the rule? Is it a judgment call? I also wondered why the PH QB was not called for trying to leap over the pile at the goal line (twice). Even though he was unsuccessful, is that not the same idea? Someone had mentioned it in another thread, but man that was a heck of a goal line stand. A few penalties by both teams and it was like 9 plays long (included a few from the 5ish).

I would say the best bet is to reference the thread from last month that NND posted. The explanation I gave then is about as good as I could come up with from a basic level. Not being facetious at all, just pointing out that I would probably copy and paste that response here.

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/hurdling.52218/#post-270950

I would also note that the post LPD just wrote up on the 4A thread is well explained and follows the rule and officiating guidelines on hurdling. I would just note that still pictures are excellent teachers, but in order to rule decisively, we need to see the entire play (i.e., video). I will admit the pictures used seem pretty clear cut though.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Interesting thread on the 4A board. I haven't loked at those boards in a looooooong time. The discussion about how stupid the rule is seems to ignore the fact that the real safety concern is for the tackler who is going to get cleats in his neck. There has been no discussion whatsoever about removing this rule. In fact, in Mike Periera's weekly video a while back he showed the Syracuse QB twice trying and failing to hurdle guys and end up kicking them in the face.He said the NCAA might put the hurdling rule back in. It was removed 20+ years ago.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT