ADVERTISEMENT

This week in the Seminole

Aug 12, 2016
Seminole/Dogwood
The out of district schedule has been completed, and the gauntlet of the Seminole schedule officially kicks off this Friday. The next seven games will lead to a lot of changes and movements amongst the eight teams. I have included the records of the out of district teams that each school has played to this point. For some teams, the current record is not indicative of how good or bad they are at this point. I have also included some key players to watch for each team, and some comments that I have heard about them.

Brookville (3-0, OOD-5-7) at Amherst (1-2, OOD 8-3)

For the Bees… Part 1 of “How did they make a great player even better?” #5 Tanner Benard was sensational last season with an electric arm. This year he has added even more ability to take off on the run. His dual threat skills have been on display, and will give defenses headaches trying to contain him. #7 Zach Thompson is proving to be a weapon on the outside, and is consistently finding ways to get open.

For the Lancers. #6 Keshon Turner is the heart and soul of this team. “He is an absolute playmaker”, they have had the most difficult out of district games and he will lead them to several victories throughout this season. #2 Frank Ross has exploded on the season as the primary running back. Expect more exciting nights ahead from this young man.

Glass (3-0, OOD 4-7) at Heritage (3-0, OOD 4-7)

Glass- #2 Thomas “TPatt” Patterson is a “monster linebacker”. His ability to always be around the ball is second to none, and his reaction skills are tremendous. Without question he is arguably the best linebacker in the area. #14 Sackett Wood the transition from quarterback to wide receiver has played out perfectly. His long frame and catch radius makes him a threat from anywhere on the field.

Heritage. Part 2 of “How did they make a great player even better?” #11 Elijah Davis is a premier running back, and this season he is finding huge holes thanks to #62 Keante Rose and #75 Eric Wyatt. Those two “are full grown men”. Once Davis finds a crease he is on his way to the house. This team has talent everywhere and will be tough to stop.

Rustburg (2-1, OOD 3-7) at LCA (1-2, OOD 6-4)

Bulldogs- They have been waiting for their chance in the district, and have a high octane offense lead by #16 Rylan Stamm. His ability to move the ball in the air will be on display this season, and expect points to come quickly from this gunslinger. #6 Eddie Ogle can make things happen from the wide receiver position. "Accurate route runner with great hands". #58 Carter Bradley will lead the way in the trenches.

Red Devils- In 2014, Rustburg had several sophomores starting with lineman Will Morris (VMI) as their premier player, and they finished 3-7. Those sophomores were seniors last season and lineman Davon Jones (Ferrum) lead them to a 10-3 record. This season is similar to the 2014 year as young players once again dot the field. #72 Logan Reusser takes the reigns of the lineman, “The best offensive guard we have seen”. #32 Tre Tucker emerged last season as a premier back, and once again he will carry the load.

JF (1-2, OOD 7-3) at Liberty (2-1, OOD 5-7)

Liberty- The Minutemen are short on numbers but high on determination. Lead by #80 Brock Lucas the 6’6 TE/DE is hard to miss. He can give teams fits with his size. “He can climb the ladder and reach the ball with his height advantage”. #4 Taylor Carson has taken over at running back, and is showing that they can move the ball effectively on the ground.

JF- Playing without their starting quarterback hurt this team in the early season. #25 Marvin Blake and #35 Keenan Cupit will make magic happen quickly from the wishbone offense. #57 Orville “OP” Peterson is another in a long list of great lineman from the school of Grove.

I have watched two of the teams and I can tell you the two lineman from Heritage are big, big dudes. Davis is simply fantastic
I said after the Rustburg game that 72 was the real deal and he will be first team all Seminole.

Since SR is off this Friday, I believe I will travel to Amherst and watch their game against Brookville. Might have to face off against them Bee's in the playoffs. Would like to get a first hand look at what we might be facing. I hope it's an entertaining game.

Doesn't #15 sophomore RB Hackworth lead the offense for JF? I could be wrong but I think he has more yards than Blake and Cupit combined

Reactions: lyhsports
Doesn't #15 sophomore RB Hackworth lead the offense for JF? I could be wrong but I think he has more yards than Blake and Cupit combined
I meant no disrespect. The cavs are loaded with talent. #12 Brad O Donnell and #15 Jacob Hackworth are both very good. Hackworth had a tremendous game down in Danville

Last edited:
Reactions: aimhighveteran
You may be right. Do you think it will be a bigger crowd than Heritage-Glass or just a more competitive game?
I think the crowds will be fairly high at all 4 games because each one has a story line to them. The city game, the Bedford County rivalry, the beautiful Williams Stadium hosting the 1st district game, as well as the Bees and Lancers rivalry. I just believe the game in Amherst will be the most competitive.

Last edited:
Im really interested in the Rustburg at LCA game. LCA is putting out the big spread with homecoming and all. Rustburg may surprise them and give them a nice welcome to the Seminole Hoping for a Red Devils victory
I don't think that was the welcome to the Seminole that rustburg was hoping for. Rustburg was just overwhelmed from the beginning. It was 7-7 and in a blink of an eye it was 28-7. LCA played well and hopefully care it into JF next week and the rest of the schedule

I don't think that was the welcome to the Seminole that rustburg was hoping for. Rustburg was just overwhelmed from the beginning. It was 7-7 and in a blink of an eye it was 28-7. LCA played well and hopefully care it into JF next week and the rest of the schedule
Hopefully JF has some fifth year seniors and recruits to match up really well.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I think the crowds will be fairly high at all 4 games because each one has a story line to them. The city game, the Bedford County rivalry, the beautiful Williams Stadium hosting the 1st district game, as well as the Bees and Lancers rivalry. I just believe the game in Amherst will be the most competitive.
Amherst and Brookville wasn't as competitive as people thought.

Reactions: Chucksteel72
Guess congrats you beat probably #7 or 8 this year in district. Come back an pound your chest when you beat JF, Heritage, Amherst, Glass, Brookville. Then you might be able to talk.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
Bulldog to flame...you guys recruit players and will still finish 5th 6th place. You guys need to step up your recruiting efforts. Lol

Reactions: Gunz41
Well people didn't think we had a chance against rustburg and JF is next but just wait, your turn is coming
I think you are getting the terms want and believe mixed up. Many people wanted Rustburg to win. Much like many people want to win the powerball. Very few really believe that is very likely. I've been wrong before but I think this weeks game with JF will be similar to the Cavs game with GW. A whole lot of offense. Should be a solid matchup for both squads

I love how everyone keeps saying LCA recruits but can never show concrete evidence. All I hear is I saw a letter from a parent or my sisters husbands aunt told me that LCA came and talked to her son. If you have any evidence that LCA recruited a kid since 2015 when they joined the vhsl, I would love to see it. If it happened when they were in the private school league just drop it bc private schools can do that and most private schools in the country do that. But if it makes you feel better after a lose to LCA to say that they recruit or have 19 year olds then that fine, what ever makes you sleep better at night

I'm pulling for LCA to make a lot of noise. It will give the Seminole much needed depth lol. Just kidding Seminole district guys and gals. But seriously a consistently solid new team in the district should make every one else better.

Well people didn't think we had a chance against rustburg and JF is next but just wait, your turn is coming
Once again congrats you beat a team you shoulda beat call me when you start beating teams that you shouldn't or should be close game. An yes where waitingwith bell's on come see what it's like to play a real game an not a scrimmage.

I love how everyone keeps saying LCA recruits but can never show concrete evidence. All I hear is I saw a letter from a parent or my sisters husbands aunt told me that LCA came and talked to her son. If you have any evidence that LCA recruited a kid since 2015 when they joined the vhsl, I would love to see it. If it happened when they were in the private school league just drop it bc private schools can do that and most private schools in the country do that. But if it makes you feel better after a lose to LCA to say that they recruit or have 19 year olds then that fine, what ever makes you sleep better at night

Probably not after 2015 because they have nothing to offer but prior to that there was plenty of recruiting from all over the world. There are still a few grandfathered ones left and you can't deny it.

Enjoy it while you can. Without unfair advantages LCA sports will continue to dwindle in the vine.

True story jbci04...Chucky aka bad dream, create a Blueridge thread/post and. Oh yeah the Blueridge only has one competitive team (LB) and 2 other teams that are undefeated because they have not played anybody.. that being said you can keep chiming in. I am starting to feel sorry for you now.

Reactions: AMHERST #1
Once again congrats you beat a team you shoulda beat call me when you start beating teams that you shouldn't or should be close game. An yes where waitingwith bell's on come see what it's like to play a real game an not a scrimmage.
I haven't seen LCA yet. But I did see Amherst vs Brookville. After what I saw I would be careful with how bold I got. Just saying. I mean it would be hell to look like Pioneer4life right now lmao. It's all good though. Makes all these games a little more spicier.
True story jbci04...Chucky aka bad dream, create a Blueridge thread/post and. Oh yeah the Blueridge only has one competitive team (LB) and 2 other teams that are undefeated because they have not played anybody.. that being said you can keep chiming in. I am starting to feel sorry for you now.
Blue Ridge not competitive? I might be wrong but hasn't the last 3 out 4 , class 3 championship games have Blue Ridge Teams representing? Staunton River, Lord Botetourt and Northside. Sounds like it's become a legitimate district. Add in 4a William Byrd. I think they are a respectable district. So far I've seen 3 Seminole teams. 4 counting Heritage in the benefit game. Would've been 5 if I would have attended the SR / Liberty game. I saw a JF team that,unless I'm wrong had a backup quarterback, who eventually broke a bone and had to exit the game. So it's hard to judge a team without the projected starter at quarterback and it was 1st game of the year. JF, if healthy could get better as the year goes on. To me, Amherst and Brookville have a lot to work on. I think the SR/LB game will be a very physical contest. So far they have a better resume with a win over Blacksburg. But a 3 point win over Western Albemarle and a 13 point win over Rockbridge doesn't send up any fear at all. I believe they are good team and it's a great opportunity for SR to make their case as 1 of the best in the west this year. Because I'm boycotting the nfl, I am really paying close attention and spending time watching high school and college football more than ever. You guys make football fun for me again. Just coming here and arguing and agreeing. Love the debates and the insights of others,even if I disagree. Thank you all.

Last edited:
Probably not after 2015 because they have nothing to offer but prior to that there was plenty of recruiting from all over the world. There are still a few grandfathered ones left and you can't deny it.

Enjoy it while you can. Without unfair advantages LCA sports will continue to dwindle in the vine.
You do know the kids that would have been recruited before 2015 would have already graduated? There is one 5th year senior that was grandfathered in and he's still only 18 so you can't use that he's 19 and more mature as an excuse.

You do know the kids that would have been recruited before 2015 would have already graduated? There is one 5th year senior that was grandfathered in and he's still only 18 so you can't use that he's 19 and more mature as an excuse.

That 5th year senior had 5 years to play and get experience. Big difference a year makes. I bet a lot of teams would like to be able to play 5th year seniors... He also is from out of the Lynchburg recruiting district, like a few others. Nice to be able to draw from larger areas, huh?

Reactions: wikki
I haven't seen LCA yet. But I did see Amherst vs Brookville. After what I saw I would be careful with how bold I got. Just saying. I mean it would be hell to look like Pioneer4life right now lmao. It's all good though. Makes all these games a little more spicier.

Blue Ridge not competitive? I might be wrong but hasn't the last 3 out 4 , class 3 championship games have Blue Ridge Teams representing? Staunton River, Lord Botetourt and Northside. Sounds like it's become a legitimate district. Add in 4a William Byrd. I think they are a respectable district. So far I've seen 3 Seminole teams. 4 counting Heritage in the benefit game. Would've been 5 if I would have attended the SR / Liberty game. I saw a JF team that,unless I'm wrong had a backup quarterback, who eventually broke a bone and had to exit the game. So it's hard to judge a team without the projected starter at quarterback and it was 1st game of the year. JF, if healthy could get better as the year goes on. To me, Amherst and Brookville have a lot to work on. I think the SR/LB game will be a very physical contest. So far they have a better resume with a win over Blacksburg. But a 3 point win over Western Albemarle and a 13 point win over Rockbridge doesn't send up any fear at all. I believe they are good team and it's a great opportunity for SR to make their case as 1 of the best in the west this year. Because I'm boycotting the nfl, I am really paying close attention and spending time watching high school and college football more than ever. You guys make football fun for me again. Just coming here and arguing and agreeing. Love the debates and the insights of others,even if I disagree. Thank you all.
So what disappointed you about Amherst?Seems to me being like 4th game of year everybody has a lot to work on.

So what disappointed you about Amherst?Seems to me being like 4th game of year everybody has a lot to work on.
I would like to know also. Remember who Amherst played, Salem, GW, Blacksburg and Brookville. Tough schedule if you ask me. Only game they didn't play well was Blacksburg and they handled Salem easily

don't worry bout Amherst they'llh
I would like to know also. Remember who Amherst played, Salem, GW, Blacksburg and Brookville. Tough schedule if you ask me. Only game they didn't play well was Blacksburg and they handled Salem easily
Yea after what Blacksburg did to Salem that lose doesn'tlook so bad.

Reactions: wikki
You are correct. All teams have plenty to work on. There is always something to work on, even after a victory. As far as Amherst goes, I wouldn't say disappointed. I just didn't see enough on offense, other than Ross. Again, this is my only time seeing them so I might have seen them when they had another guy out. Not sure. On defense, right now they look like they will struggle mightily against a good passing team. But they can fix those things as the season goes on.

Very tough schedule is right. I went to the game with a Brookville guy. I told him I thought Amherst was better than they were getting credit for.

Very tough schedule is right. I went to the game with a Brookville guy. I told him I thought Amherst was better than they were getting credit for.
Amherst QB can pass pretty good, he didn't start first quarter but really didn't need him because Ross did what he needed. I think they are better than people are giving the credit for

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT