ADVERTISEMENT

This week will be the turning point for the Lions

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
Now that the toughest part of the regular season schedule is out of the way, Louisa has learned many things about their team. The most obvious comes from the scores and stats; the defense still needs a lot of work. That work continues this week, as I've heard some more personnel changes are being made. One of those changes might include a 6' 4" 250 lb. tight end moving to linebacker. That could end up being significant in their 3-5 scheme. The biggest issue, in my opinion, has been reading assignments and pursuing the ball. I think some improvement was made against Courtland from the Sherando game, but it's still far from where they need to be. With King George also running the Wing T now, the Lions will get more reps against it, and I think they'll show possible, maybe significant, improvement in those areas. Sure, King George's offense isn't Courtland's, but we'll still be able to see improvements. The talent is there, they just have to execute.

Offensively, the line finally all played together against Courtland (at least for a quarter), and it showed. There were maybe two low snaps all game, including one on a punt that was blocked, but nothing crazy or gut wrenching like the Sherando game. The line imposed their will at times on Courtland, and I think they will continue to improve against King George, even if one starter ends up being suspended. Last year, the squad ran pretty much all single wing and nothing else, but after a year under their belts and Jordan Cherry at QB and Marquis Lee eligible to play at WR, they're running a more wide open attack with multiple formations. I think teams will struggle to stop it all year, especially in the Jefferson District, and if the defense catches up to the offense....

I have that feeling. This is the week to get that swagger back and make a statement. Let's eat.

Last edited:
If you have a 6'4" 250 pound linebacker that can run side to side like you said this team needs , more ball pursuit , he should be running the ball also. That's a huge linebacker.

@hamspear It's #8, he dropped that long pass on our first drive against Sherando. He definitely has the speed to get sideline to sideline. I wouldn't be surprised if he started getting some carries, especially out of the I since we're mixing that in now, but we showed Friday that our runners are fine as long as they have a little blocking.

Ok don't mean no disrespect , so don't get jacked up. But that kid did have some speed and moved well, but he didn't look 250 to me, my son is about 6' 2" and goes between 240 and 260. That kid looked more like 200 to 210 to me, could be wrong though. I will give you credit though, he did show some solid athletic potential.

I don't think King George will be any cakewalk for the Lions. I look for this game to be a war, but I really think Louisa needs this for psychological purposes. My computer is calling Louisa 36, King George 35 (OT). Maybe I should get to this game.

Other Jefferson District Computer Predictions

Charlottesville 40, William Monroe 13
Culpeper 41, Fluvanna 33
Monticello 39, Spotswood 15
Orange 33. Spotsylvania 29
Powhatan 56, George Wythe 0
Patrick Henry 25, Albemarle 9

Maybe he has lost some baby fat, seen that happen a lot of times, he could run well.
I just double checked the roster, it actually says 6' 4" 258 lbs. Who knows?

CO8-8TqW8AAEiFb.jpg:large

Last edited:
that's actually weak side defensive end size, if he is quick, which I will vouch for, he is. Then if he is physical, his ideal position is DE in a 4-3 . In a 4-4 , I could see him as a strong side outside linebacker, but college recruiters would want him to either lose 20 lbs. or gain 30 to go to a true DE position. Just my thoughts, he stood out to me when I was watching him. what year is he? On offense , I would have him at TE with a quickness!

He's a senior. I know he has schools looking at him but I'm not sure which. We were rotating him at DE before this, I'm looking forward to seeing if he moves around or is solely an LB now.

Ahh ok, well best of luck this Friday, if you get the defense flying around your team should win.
That's my concern here. The Louisa defense is almost certainly not as good as Liberty (Bealton) and the Foxes had no problem moving the ball on them. Now Louisa got some offense going in the 4th quarter against the Cougars but my sources say that at least two of the starting DLinemen did not play again after the score hit 50. Another came off a few minutes later. yes, guys like Allen and Green stayed in to make sure the Lions couldn't get a quick score deep and make it a game. So some of those offensive numbers by Louisa are tainted. I still see this as a game either team could win but I give KG a home field advantage victory. GL to both Friday.

Oh Hoos. FYI. If the Lions should lose on Friday, the bridge to Maryland is only about 15 minutes from the field and quite high.

Last edited:
there are actually a number of HS Coachs that do not punt. I know it sounds silly, but apparently you are at a statistical advantage if you do this. Go figure.

You guys are discussing something I have questioned for years. Saw the show on ESPN regarding the "no punt" Coach and the statistics behind it. Has some validity from your own forty in. During our last game with Caroline the punters net average was about ten-fifteen yards. This Coach may have a point. I like the Rugby style punters. The net yardage is greater because the receiving team can't turn their backs and must respect the possible fake. What do you guys think?

No matter what that coach says, I think it's insane to go for it on 4th and 18 inside your own 10! I don't mind his onside kick philosophy, though.

Agree
No matter what that coach says, I think it's insane to go for it on 4th and 18 inside your own 10! I don't mind his onside kick philosophy, though.
Agree! During the 2013 season Dinwiddie used the onside kick three times a game and it paid off roughly 50% of the time. They got away from it in the playoffs some, because the kicker was able to put the ball deep and high.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Louisa does squib, pooch, and onside kicks all the time. They very rarely kick it deep. When we had kicker Eric Church (best kicker in school history) he'd always pooch it very high, causing the catcher to always call a fair catch and nearly always fumble because he was surrounded by Lions. I loved to get quick multiple touchdowns that way. We did it during the state championship game against Amherst and it worked when we were mounting a comeback, but the officials decided to screw us and give the ball to Amherst anyway, for no real reason.

1962835_510903745684730_1429120408_n.jpg

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Oh Hoos. FYI. If the Lions should lose on Friday, the bridge to Maryland is only about 15 minutes from the field and quite high.
If I have a second weekend in a row where my high school, college, and pro team all lose and two of them choke away the game at the end, you never know....

If your college team loses this weekend you may have a new coach. Went to the game Saturday. Even I felt bad for the Wahoos. Fun game to watch. Not sure how the cornerback was left on an island, I guess they were defending the short stuff to prevent a fg opportunity. I know the DC likes to take risk, but they were beat on the same play twice.

there are actually a number of HS Coachs that do not punt. I know it sounds silly, but apparently you are at a statistical advantage if you do this. Go figure.
I don't believe in punting except in really special circumstances. If I felt I needed to kick the other team, I'd almost always place kick from field goal formation, no matter what my field position.

I knew when we allowed that QB draw on 4th and 2, we were done.
That is something that bothers me about UVA football fans. They have forgotten how to win an expect to lose. Drives me crazy. I actually believed the Hokies could beat OSU again. For one half i was feeling cocky. Was still fussing at the end never gave up on them. Hopefully, for my dads sake and with the talent UVA has things will get better.

Reactions: mike salem
That is something that bothers me about UVA football fans. They have forgotten how to win an expect to lose. Drives me crazy. I actually believed the Hokies could beat OSU again. For one half i was feeling cocky. Was still fussing at the end never gave up on them. Hopefully, for my dads sake and with the talent UVA has things will get better.
Well, it's four years now for London and a number of top 25 recruiting classes. More QB's than you can count and they still can't find a good one. DB's that have every Rival star available, incredible speed and get beat every week. Big time ranked OLineman that can't make a hole or protect the QB. A Coaching staff that was gutted and replaced two year's ago. What's wrong with this picture and at least they're consistent in their mediocrity.

I also had high hopes and was willing to be patient. I like London a lot. He portrays everything I want in a Coach. He portrays everything the Administration wants in a Coach. He's ambitious, innovative and a tremendous recruiter. But the bottom line is the bottom line. What have the results been in the Win/Loss column and has consistent improvement been seen? You are who your record says you are.

He's a senior. I know he has schools looking at him but I'm not sure which. We were rotating him at DE before this, I'm looking forward to seeing if he moves around or is solely an LB now.
@hamspear per his Twitter it looks as if he just committed to Norfolk State.

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I am rooting for the Lions to turn it around this week. They have a lot of talent in Mineral and a great head coach. I don't think things have clicked for the Lions yet - but the good thing is that it is only week 4 and as long as the Lions improve on the fundamentals things (snaps, alignment, tackling, etc.) - they can be a very good football team. I am not ready to stick a fork in the Lions yet - I believe their best football is still ahead of them!

Last edited:
I would just like to say that I am rooting for the Lions to turn it around this week. They have a lot of talent in Mineral and a great head coach. I don't things have clicked for the Lions yet - but the good thing is that it is only week 4 and as long as the Lions improve on the fundamentals things (snaps, alignment, tackling, etc.) - they can be a very good football team. I am not ready to stick a fork in the Lions yet - I believe their best football is still ahead of them!

I agree about not sticking fork in them. They win tonight and things will turn around. A loss tonight could really hurt.

I would just like to say that I am rooting for the Lions to turn it around this week. They have a lot of talent in Mineral and a great head coach. I don't think things have clicked for the Lions yet - but the good thing is that it is only week 4 and as long as the Lions improve on the fundamentals things (snaps, alignment, tackling, etc.) - they can be a very good football team. I am not ready to stick a fork in the Lions yet - I believe their best football is still ahead of them!
We have our starting center back so the snaps have been fixed. I sure hope to see improvement in all of those defensive areas tonight. I'm confident that the new no-huddle offense will put up points every week and will only get better.

Last edited:
I don't think King George will be any cakewalk for the Lions. I look for this game to be a war, but I really think Louisa needs this for psychological purposes. My computer is calling Louisa 36, King George 35 (OT). Maybe I should get to this game.

Other Jefferson District Computer Predictions

Charlottesville 40, William Monroe 13
Culpeper 41, Fluvanna 33
Monticello 39, Spotswood 15
Orange 33. Spotsylvania 29
Powhatan 56, George Wythe 0
Patrick Henry 25, Albemarle 9
Your computer was on the money with the Louisa 36.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT