ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Salem 49- Amherst 14 game.

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
1. Salem is improving quickly
2. Salem front seven on defense is very very good.
3. Close 6 5 225 at defensive end is a man among boys.
4. Full back Pinnello 6 2 240 is a load.
5. Young secondary has potential and is improving.
6. Salem doninated. Never a game.
7. Amherst is going to have a tough season. Some of the problems have to do with their unfortunate coaching situation, but their lack of interior line play is going to kill them (tough schedule)
8. Salem's backs are good enough to beat you.
9. Salem took a knee three times in a row inside the Amherst 8 with just under two minutes to play. (Class)
10. This might be a pretty good football team come November
11. Ross needs Salem offensive line. He had one good run tonight. Who will Amherst beat? JF?, Heritage? GW? Glass? Brookville? Don't think so

Last edited:
Agreed with all. Amherst never stopped Salem. Salem had a poor playcall during their 2nd drive (4th and 1 near the 50 and tried to get cute with a pass) and a bad throw from Gladden (who probably finds Close if he sets his feet) but otherwise just steamrolled. Persinger and Wood is a legit 1-2 at RB, there's no drop in ability when they rotate and I'm very excited for the next 2-3 years. Pinello is legit at FB, will be quality on short distances. OL run block is fantastic, Salem basically gashed Amherst for about 8-9 ypc the entire night. Defense contained Ross fantastically minus one play (not a bunch of big runs from him), got pressure on QB. They're going to give up pass plays because they're probably the youngest and most inexperienced secondary in the state, but they've got some size and we'll have that entire group for 3 years. Gladden had some good and bad, although I believe his arm strength has improved from last year.

If Amherst is bad, Salem did what they should have to a bad team and if Amherst turns out good then all the better. Salem is exceptionally young, giving a lot of hope for the future as well. Not trying to oversell this result but people were curious/worried and you have to love what you saw tonight if you're a Salem fan because it's still only week 1.

Amherst didn't lack for trying but penalties and TOs snuffed out their chances of making it a game and the 40 second drive to end the half was the dagger. It's probably going to be a long season for them with the way the Seminole looks but they can certainly improve and rally. I don't think the end result changes but a few plays here and there and it's maybe 28-21 at the half.

Eventually G W will have to beat a good team and stop beating up on the little sisters of the poor if you want them to get the respect you think they deserve. J F is by far the best team on GW schedule. The rest of the regular season will be a joke.

Eventually G W will have to beat a good team and stop beating up on the little sisters of the poor if you want them to get the respect you think they deserve. J F is by far the best team on GW schedule. The rest of the regular season will be a joke.
Give GW that same schedule Salem has this year and we would finish 10-0 but I doubt if that happens for you guys good luck!! Go Spartans

Here we go... Dinwiddie is head and shoulders your best opponent as JF is ours. Blacksburg isn’t nearly as good as last year. Piedmont as a whole is bad but the River Ridge isn’t a world beater. GW would definitely go undefeated given a River Ridge schedule. Who cares? I’m just happy we have the best team we’ve had in 22 years.

No need to down Frank Ross. Very good player. I hope he gets a chance to play at the next level.

G.W and Salem have your fun now,we will bounce back and give you a game soon.Remember these guys had no 7-7 and very little football activities for most of the year.Frank Ross was dealt with 4-5 coaches leaving,another coach that lasted 5 weeks and a roster that's mentally drain from everything.Frank might not be as good as some on the field but he's been at the top off the field so far.

G.W and Salem have your fun now,we will bounce back and give you a game soon.Remember these guys had no 7-7 and very little football activities for most of the year.Frank Ross was dealt with 4-5 coaches leaving,another coach that lasted 5 weeks and a roster that's mentally drain from everything.Frank might not be as good as some on the field but he's been at the top off the field so far.
I have the upmost respect for Amherst I’m just messing with Salem fans no harm intended!

Reactions: wikki
Now now guys, we are 1 week into a season and a lot of things happen. None of the contenders should be counted out. Hopeful it doesn't happen, but an injury can change things.

Except in 2a where I would like for a team to win every year I would like to see other teams win, so I'll pull for Louisa and GW for my buddies.

BUT, Salem isnt going to lay down and I remember a lot of the same smack talk last year

Ross is overrated and it showed last night! Amherst fans and coaches better not put all they eggs in one basket or they will be in for a long season

No reason to talk bad about a kid.
Not talking bad about the kid just saying all the schools will be expecting Ross to get the ball gotta have an element of surprise! #3 shined on the field last night unsure of who is because all you here out of Amherst is Ross.

Not talking bad about the kid just saying all the schools will be expecting Ross to get the ball gotta have an element of surprise! #3 shined on the field last night unsure of who is because all you here out of Amherst is Ross.

"Ross is overrated and it showed last night"

If that is you not talking bad about someone then I hate to see you talk bad

Ross is overrated and it showed last night! Amherst fans and coaches better not put all they eggs in one basket or they will be in for a long season
It most certainly is talking bad about a kid. He had one heck of a year last year because he had an incredible offensive line. He can’t do it alone. He will only get better, some schools had two to three scrimmages and Amherst one. Their offense was changed, their coaches changed as well. Tough start for him. That kid has incredible confidence so please keep the bad comments to yourself.

These comments are hilarious. “Ross isn’t in the same category as Ramsey and Beck”, “Ross is nothing without his line”...Am I a dumbazz or did Beck and Ramsey, both, have the best offensive lines in 4a last year?????????????????????????????????????? Yall are funny. Ross and Wesley Graves are the best RBs in 4a West this year, like it or not.

These comments are hilarious. “Ross isn’t in the same category as Ramsey and Beck”, “Ross is nothing without his line”...Am I a dumbazz or did Beck and Ramsey, both, have the best offensive lines in 4a last year?????????????????????????????????????? Yall are funny. Ross and Wesley Graves are the best RBs in 4a West this year, like it or not.

Didn't you know, you could put someone else behind that line and they would run for 5000 and 60 tds.

Heck, you or I would easily get 2400. Bleedingnavy would get 2000.

Reactions: gwb16

Frank Ross is a extremely good player. Can you imagine him running behind Salem offensive line? To all of us, if you do not have something positive to say, keep it under your hat. These are teenagers.

I’m a big fan of Graves and Ross. They are definitely the top 2 running backs in 4a West, but watch out for Ty Foster from EC Glass. He had 17 carries 223 yards and 4 TDS last night.

I’m a big fan of Graves and Ross. They are definitely the top 2 running backs in 4a West, but watch out for Ty Foster from EC Glass. He had 17 carries 223 yards and 4 TDS last night.
He’s definitely up there too! Elite back!! Wesley would’ve had 270+ if there wasn’t so many holding calls. Foster, Ross, and Wesley are running the 434! Blake and Cupit had themselves a game last night too.

Reactions: Lewis918777
It most certainly is talking bad about a kid. He had one heck of a year last year because he had an incredible offensive line. He can’t do it alone. He will only get better, some schools had two to three scrimmages and Amherst one. Their offense was changed, their coaches changed as well. Tough start for him. That kid has incredible confidence so please keep the bad comments to yourself.

All teams get a max of two scrimmages, or a scrimmage and a benefit game.

Didn't you know, you could put someone else behind that line and they would run for 5000 and 60 tds.

Heck, you or I would easily get 2400. Bleedingnavy would get 2000.

Ross is a very good back and his o line will figure things out. New blocking schemes take time. Heck, the lineman may not have even known how to call out assignments or
changes.

@Gunz41, I wouldnt have rushed for one yard. I would; however, gladly knocked you and @DanvilleSportsHead flat on your tails when you came through the hole. Heck I could have wrecked DSH before my heart attack. Lol

Kayaked for 2 hours and biked 15 miles on the Capital Trail today. If I can get released from my cardiologist soon this old boy will be hitting the gym and should be fit enough by Christmas to hang with the crossfit guru @mbonape1.

Ross is a very good back and his o line will figure things out. New blocking schemes take time. Heck, the lineman may not have even known how to call out assignments or
changes.

@Gunz41, I wouldnt have rushed for one yard. I would; however, gladly knocked you and @DanvilleSportsHead flat on your tails when you came through the hole. Heck I could have wrecked DSH before my heart attack. Lol

Kayaked for 2 hours and biked 15 miles on the Capital Trail today. If I can get released from my cardiologist soon this old boy will be hitting the gym and should be fit enough by Christmas to hang with the crossfit guru @mbonape1.

Na, you would be the bruiser. You sir are not overrated

ADVERTISEMENT