ADVERTISEMENT

Time to end the “Neutral Site” rule?

Sep 7, 2019
All-in-All I just don’t understand why the rule is needed in the first place, especially for the Quarterfinals.

I personally believe that it’s extremely unfair for Rural schools, and gives Urban school an unfair advantage.

Halifax will have to travel almost an hour and a half for their “home field advantage” game. Urban Schools such as Roanoke, NoVa, Tidewater, and Richmond schools have the luxury of playing 20 minutes or less from their school due to more high schools in the area.

What about schools like Halifax, Pulaski, Martinsville, and SWVA schools, where teams would have to play an hour or more away from the nearest VHSL certified gym? I’m sure there’s a good reason for this format, but I just don’t understand it from my perspective.

I think that the quarterfinals should be at the home school advantage they worked hard for, and the Semifinals at a halfway mark between the two teams in a true neutral site game.

Armstrong of Richmond is traveling 2.5 hours to Central Woodstock to play in quarter finals. Central is playing home in a rural area. I know that's just one example.

Update: This is a regional game. My bad. But how in the heck is Armstrong in this region?

Last edited:
Armstrong of Richmond is traveling 2.5 hours to Central Woodstock to play in quarter finals. Central is playing home in a rural area. I know that's just one example.
AHS/Central game is not a State game but a Regional Final

Reactions: aw19752
All-in-All I just don’t understand why the rule is needed in the first place, especially for the Quarterfinals.

I personally believe that it’s extremely unfair for Rural schools, and gives Urban school an unfair advantage.

Halifax will have to travel almost an hour and a half for their “home field advantage” game. Urban Schools such as Roanoke, NoVa, Tidewater, and Richmond schools have the luxury of playing 20 minutes or less from their school due to more high schools in the area.

What about schools like Halifax, Pulaski, Martinsville, and SWVA schools, where teams would have to play an hour or more away from the nearest VHSL certified gym? I’m sure there’s a good reason for this format, but I just don’t understand it from my perspective.

I think that the quarterfinals should be at the home school advantage they worked hard for, and the Semifinals at a halfway mark between the two teams in a true neutral site game.
You have a very good argument. I agree that the Region Champion should be rewarded by being able to play the quarterfinal game on their home court and then have the semis and finals at VCU or whatever college/university VHSL chooses. If VHSL is going to make it a truly "neutral site" then they should have the entire state tournament at a college or university. I know this will never happen because VHSL will never pay that amount of money for rental fees but, that is the only way I see it serving any purpose.

This is kind of how 1A East football players and fans feel. No matter what each and every yr 1A east teams(if they make it) will have to travel 3+ hours to play in the State championship game. It is hosted in Salem every year. 3A-6A rotate sites..not 1 and 2A

IMO it's pretty bush league to have state quarterfinal games being played on someone's home court, but if the neutral sites are mostly just going to be other regular-sized high school gyms then they might as well play it on home courts as long as they have sufficient capacity. The "supersites" were much better.

With six classes I think the ship has sailed on having the semis at VCU. Just too many games and too much school-day travel. Maybe if they go through with cutting down the number of classes.

Last edited:
IMO it's pretty bush league to have state quarterfinal games being played on someone's home court, but if the neutral sites are mostly just going to be other regular-sized high school gyms then they might as well play it on home courts as long as they have sufficient capacity. The "supersites" were much better.

With six classes I think the ship has sailed on having the semis at VCU. Just too many games and too much school-day travel. Maybe if they go through with cutting down the number of classes.

I think the only way to cut down on the classes would be to have regional State Champions. 1a-3a and 4a-6a could combine, and separate it by Region (SWVA+Piedmont, Tidewater, Central VA/Richmond, and NoVa). That might erase some of the talent gaps between regions. 5a and 6a might be able to combine, but a school with 3,400 students vs a school with 1,400 students wouldn’t exactly be fair

I just think Super sites at college facilities are just a much better experience and reward for making it to states.
I agree with this.I couldn’t go last year but attendees enjoyed having the game at Averett.

Radford/VT/Civic Center/Ferrum for SWVA

Averett/Longwood/Liberty/UVA for Southern/Central VA

NSU/ODU/Hampton for the Tidewater

William and Mary/UofR for Richmond (VCU saves for Finals)

George Mason/JMU/Arena for NoVa/Shenandoah

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT