ADVERTISEMENT

Top teams

Appo, Appo, Appo, Graham.

Then teams who never got over the hump. Draft, Union, Richlands, RE Lee,.etc...

Reactions: Realtalk78
Robert E. Lee is now Staunton High School (their original name) and they are Class 3 as of July 1, 2021.
believe they were still Lee-Staunton when they played Appo for the title. I knew they were.moving up going forward.

Radford, Richlands (really.shoulda won 2015), Gretna had a dominant run, etc...

2005 Giles and 2012 Goochland both had some impressive squads as well as Gate City in 2010. I think 2007 Gretna was the most dominating in a long time however. Especially on defense. Needless to say that Appo has been special.

Clarke Count and Wilson Memorial have to be up there with the ones that never got over the hump.

Been watching D1 and D2 for a long time. The best I've seen was 2007 Gretna, 2018 Graham, 2016 Appo, 1997 Powell Valley, Gate City 2003 in no particular order. All just solid teams on seemingly every facet. If I had to pick one team of the bunch, it would probably be tossup with Powell Valley 1997 and Appo 2016.

Reactions: Realtalk78
1997 or 1998 PV would beat 2018 Graham by 2+ TDs. The gauntlet PV ran in 97, beating the D1 champ (Appalachia), the D3 champ (GC) and the D4 final four team (Lee) is unmatched IMO. The 1998 team returned mostly everyone and again went undefeated and won the state title may have even been slightly better. But hard to argue 1997. They beat Lee, who made a deep D4 run, 48-8. Beat D3 champ GC 25-6. None of the first six opponents including Lee and GC scored more than eight points. Beat Powhathan by three TDs in title game. One close game all year, the epic win over Appalachia to end regular season (Appalachia had also beaten D3 champ GC). The rest were 18+ point wins, including playoffs. Hard to win six titles in nine seasons without some great teams, but only 97-98 went back to back undefeated.

I'm bias, but that PV group in 97-98 was the best team I've ever seen in 2A/D2. I think 2016 Appo, 2007 Gretna and the 94-95 PV teams were all just a little notch below. Gretnas run is right up there with PV, winning five in what, eight years?

Reactions: bulldog1150
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT