3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Salem
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Deep Creek
9. Lafayette
10. Sherando
No changes this week but posted to create some more talk with only 3 weeks left until playoffs. After next week some play off positions should start to solidify.
It’s crazy to think football season is almost over already

Reactions: Shruikan
1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Eastern View
4. Louisa
5. Salem
6. Sherando
7. Monacan
8. Liberty
9. Lafayette
10. Deep Creek

Still not sold on Monacan as a top five team, but they have every chance to prove me wrong, especially by winning Region B. Eastern View, Dinwiddie, Monacan, and Louisa are all fantastic teams and it's a shame only one of them will get the chance to reach the semi-finals.

Right now I see the final four as:
Region A - Lafayette
Region B - Dinwiddie
Region C - Sherando
Region D - Blacksburg

I wouldn't sleep on Eastern View though. No one has come close to them all year.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
OCboy you hit this one on the nose. You have just about every major player included and the front runners in each region.

There are a few teams left out that could argue inclusion (Byrd, Glass, Charlottesville, GW, Lafayette and Millbrook); however, all of these teams have games where they can shake up the list.

Sherando proved their mustard in a loss and will be a factor. EV, Louisa, Dinwiddie and Monacan won and are stating their claim for the top seed in region b. Blacksburg, Deep Creek, Lafayette and Kings Fork dominated. Salem scored a ton this week and is always a force come playoff time.

Hard to get into this group for sure and to be honest, any of these ten teams could end up in Williamsburg.

On a side note, someone posted about the poor region d defense. I didnt do the entire region b list, but the top four are stingy: EV 10.6 ppg, Louisa 11.0 ppg, Dinwiddie 11 ppg, and Monacan 15 ppg. Offensively they average: EV 54 ppg, Dinwiddie 44.8, Louisa 44.8 ppg, and Monacan 31.5 ppg. Something will have to give in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
no order and it's a top 11

Dinwiddie
Blacksburg

gap

Louisa
EV
Monacan

gap

KF
DC
Glass
Sherando
Lafayette
Salem

Shruikan, have a ton of respect for you and your thoughts, but there is no way, Liberty could beat Kings Fork. They have the size, speed and skill players to win it all.

Lafayette is a good choice; however, I just don't know if they can score enough to hang with Deep Creek and KF. The Rams defense is always stout and they are tough as nails, so I have to consider them to be a contender.

Monacan, is very good. They will not disappoint you. When Coach Henderson turns Fludd loose he is tough to defend. Can throw the ball all over the field. Their linebackers are sound and their dbacks are very good in 1v1 coverage. If you dont establish the running game against them your done.

Well thought out list.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Salem
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Deep Creek
9. Lafayette
10. Sherando
No changes this week but posted to create some more talk with only 3 weeks left until playoffs. After next week some play off positions should start to solidify.
Down here 4 weeks left of the regular season!

1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Louisa
4. Monacan
5. Salem
6. King's Fork
7. Deep Creek
8. Eastern View
9. Liberty
10. Lafayette

[QUOTE="HoosFan05, post: 269064, member: 1756"

1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Louisa
4. Monacan
5. Salem
6. King's Fork
7. Deep Creek
8. Eastern View
9. Liberty
10. Lafayette[/QUOTE]
I think I would swap Monacan and Louisa, and also swap Lafayette and Liberty.

Man, I just don't know what to think about Deep Creek and Kings Fork. I'll give them their due because of what has been said about them, but I'm just not sure. I will say this, the competition they play down towards Tidewater is usually tougher, meaning that they are a probably a legit contender. I just have questions. Especially Deep Creek. When a new name jumps up in anybody's top 10, they are met with questions. One thing is for sure, we will start getting answers in about a month.

Reactions: CavsGrad and OCBoy
A few changes on the order for me this week based on recent events.

Dinwiddie
Deep Creek
Blacksburg
Eastern View
Louisa
Monacan
Kings Fork
Lafayette
Salem
Liberty

HM: GW Danville, Sherando, C'Ville, Woodgrove.

For my personal top 10 I would take out Liberty and insert Woodgrove with Sherando being my next in. GW Danville and C'ville are on the cusps as well.

A lot of chatter recently. Make sure your house aint made of glass!

[QUOTE="HoosFan05, post: 269064, member: 1756"

1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Louisa
4. Monacan
5. Salem
6. King's Fork
7. Deep Creek
8. Eastern View
9. Liberty
10. Lafayette
I think I would swap Monacan and Louisa, and also swap Lafayette and Liberty.

Man, I just don't know what to think about Deep Creek and Kings Fork. I'll give them their due because of what has been said about them, but I'm just not sure. I will say this, the competition they play down towards Tidewater is usually tougher, meaning that they are a probably a legit contender. I just have questions. Especially Deep Creek. When a new name jumps up in anybody's top 10, they are met with questions. One thing is for sure, we will start getting answers in about a month.[/QUOTE]

D.C. Plays Oscar Smith this coming week. That should tell us something.

Wow, you hammered your boys.

I do agree that there are four or five right around the #10 position that could easily move up in a hurry. If Sherando's loss to Liberty was the fluke I think it was, and the way they played Martinsburg, they should already be in the top 10 somewhere.

If Deep Creek beats or even stays close to Smith, then I'll buy in. Same when KF plays Smith.

Dinwiddie
Deep Creek
Blacksburg
Eastern View
Louisa
Monacan
Kings Fork
Lafayette
Salem
Liberty

For my personal top 10 I would take out Liberty and insert Woodgrove with Sherando being my next in. GW Danville and C'ville are on the cusps as well.

I could be wrong but in a week we will know, I just don't know how D.C. Is a #2. They struggled for a good part against 1 win Lakeland this past week. They play Oscsr Smith this week. That game should tell us how good they are.

I could be wrong but in a week we will know, I just don't know how D.C. Is a #2. They struggled for a good part against 1 win Lakeland this past week. They play Oscsr Smith this week. That game should tell us how good they are.

@Lafayette haha I hear you man.. I don't know either. Just going with my gut on that one

Dinwiddie
Deep Creek
Blacksburg
Eastern View
Louisa
Monacan
Kings Fork
Lafayette
Salem
Liberty

IMO if Danville wins this week then I think they're top 10 worthy. I don't want to be one of those fans but if it hadn't been for 7 starters out in the second quarter of the Amherst game, GW would more than likely be undefeated right now. They have to tighten up on D but I think we'll know a lot more about them this week against a spread you out Magna Vista team. That win over JF is looking better and better!

Reactions: Lewis918777
1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Louisa
4. Monacan
5. Salem
6. King's Fork
7. Deep Creek
8. Eastern View
9. Liberty
10. Lafayette

I like the confidence Hoos! Last year about this time Louisa dropped off a bit. Next opp. is Monticello who are having a good growth year, so a decent test, then Orange (I would say a walk here, because EV beat them soundly leading I think 42-0 at half. But they must be playing better as they gave Cville all they could handle, although lost to Aberl last week late), then you play Cville the week after that. What do you like right now that Louisa is doing? I think you mentioned they are playing some of the studs 2 ways, which has given the D a lift? What do think about Monticello team this year? Are they a surprise?

An overall comment on the top ten convos. I make the assumption that most of you have seen some of these teams, I'm starting to think that is not true. My son plays for EV, so I don't get to see other teams unless I find film somewhere. After watching EV Friday night, I was thinking, man if this EV team is mid top ten or even low top ten, these other teams must be incredible to watch. I really have no idea who the top 4 should be, and I would not put EV in the top 4 mostly because the consensus has several teams noted as better.. but It makes me want to see them play live. I might have to find a way down to Monacan - Byrd (EV bye-week) or Orange-Louisa, although not sure I can sit through another shellacking...

@Lafayette haha I hear you man.. I don't know either. Just going with my gut on that one

I'm with you on DC. Something tells me they are legit this year and they have found a coach that fits. I think a better bench mark for them will be later against KF. Even if they lose to Smith, how many teams in 4A can go into Smith and challenge them?

DC has QB issues right now. Very unfortunate since they are having such a great year. I think it hurts them come playoff time.

KF is rolling right now. Indian River this week. It is getting up to be a game that KF could run away with. IR doesn't have much of a passing game and NO ONE had been able to run on KF. They are very good up the middle.

Call me crazy, and a homer I suppose but these last few weeks KF has cut down on the penalties. They are getting more and more confident and the new starters are getting more and more comfortable. With the right mindset these guys are going to give Smith their biggest challenge this year.

Sky is the limit for these young men gone playoff time.

I like the confidence Hoos! Last year about this time Louisa dropped off a bit. Next opp. is Monticello who are having a good growth year, so a decent test, then Orange (I would say a walk here, because EV beat them soundly leading I think 42-0 at half. But they must be playing better as they gave Cville all they could handle, although lost to Aberl last week late), then you play Cville the week after that. What do you like right now that Louisa is doing? I think you mentioned they are playing some of the studs 2 ways, which has given the D a lift? What do think about Monticello team this year? Are they a surprise?
Although we lost a linebacker for the season against King George (but have some depth at that position) and are dealing with minor nagging things, we are in much better shape than at this point last year. Our pass defense hasn't been tested yet, and Monticello will do that. That's the only real question I still have about this Lion defense. QB Jarrell threw for 275 yards and 3 TDs against WA, and is deceptively fast when he runs the zone read. Orange will test our pass defense too, QB Carter is pretty good. I'm not surprised about Monticello. IMO, they should've been this good two years ago. I'm not a fan of Coach Lloyd. Coach Woody would have them as state title contenders each of these last three seasons. They are very good, but haven't seen a defense as good as this Louisa team's over their whole career. The Lions haven't seen an offense that good this season, but Monticello's defense is still suspect.

As to our studs playing both ways, I feel that if they played both ways last year, and we had Bell and Cherry against Monacan, we'd probably be talking about Louisa's chances at a repeat state title right now. I think the defense is good enough that it doesn't really matter what the offense does, or does not, do, as long as they don't go overboard with turnovers or have quick 3-and-outs. There is a JV player or two that are good enough to immediately start on defense in the playoffs if needed. One is Clarke County Hall of Fame running back Bo Morgan's son.

I won't get specific, but I love what our offense has been running when they aren't in the single wing, as long as our OC doesn't get too cute with it. Keep it Simple, Stupid (as Fischer would say). Against Powhatan, we ran the least single wing I've ever seen Fischer run. They ran it in the second half just to grind the clock, and were able to get more reps with the backup linemen. Line depth will always be a concern, but they have held up pretty well so far.

Reactions: OCBoy
DC has QB issues right now. Very unfortunate since they are having such a great year. I think it hurts them come playoff time.

KF is rolling right now. Indian River this week. It is getting up to be a game that KF could run away with. IR doesn't have much of a passing game and NO ONE had been able to run on KF. They are very good up the middle.

Call me crazy, and a homer I suppose but these last few weeks KF has cut down on the penalties. They are getting more and more confident and the new starters are getting more and more comfortable. With the right mindset these guys are going to give Smith their biggest challenge this year.

Sky is the limit for these young men gone playoff time.
When you say D.C. Has Qb problems - is that injuries or "other"?

The DC quarterback is week to week with what I hear was a knee injury. But, they beat I. River with the back up! They also had a surprise transfer from Bishop Sullivan!! Gabe Fuster attended DC middle under coach Twine & came back mid year.

Reactions: ForksUp
The DC quarterback is week to week with what I hear was a knee injury. But, they beat I. River with the back up! They also had a surprise transfer from Bishop Sullivan!! Gabe Fuster attended DC middle under coach Twine & came back mid year.

They had a come back win against River with their backup.

1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Salem
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Deep Creek
9. Lafayette
10. Sherando
ONCE AGAIN AMITHE ONLY ONE NOTICING ONE TEAM AT 6-0 MISSING????? W I L L I A M B Y R D!!!!!! THEY GOT TO PLAY RIVER AND BOTTY AND NSIDE.....

Charlottesville has been playing well, the defense has really improved. I think people should start including them in the honorable mentions at least. If not for a failed 2-point conversion, they would be 6-0 right now and standing atop of Region D. Ever since the Glass loss, no defense has been able to stop them. One problem, though, is that Orange game. They gave up 47 points to a team Eastern View only let score 14. Since then, however, the defense has improved. The opponents may have been Powhatan and Fluvanna, but improvement is still improvement. We beat Harrisonburg, who just put an absolute beating on a tough Rockbridge County team scoring 62 points. We held them to 35, and Harrisonburg will probably finish 7-3.

This week we're at Albemarle, who is struggling no doubt, but as Scrimmage Play said they are a wounded enemy you don't want to be near right now. After them, we've got Western, then Louisa and Monticello. If they win out, and go 9-1, a top 2 seed is in sight. I have a feeling we'll finish 8-2, going to the Jungle is never good for us. We will see.

Charlottesville has been playing well, the defense has really improved. I think people should start including them in the honorable mentions at least. If not for a failed 2-point conversion, they would be 6-0 right now and standing atop of Region D. Ever since the Glass loss, no defense has been able to stop them. One problem, though, is that Orange game. They gave up 47 points to a team Eastern View only let score 14. Since then, however, the defense has improved. The opponents may have been Powhatan and Fluvanna, but improvement is still improvement. We beat Harrisonburg, who just put an absolute beating on a tough Rockbridge County team scoring 62 points. We held them to 35, and Harrisonburg will probably finish 7-3.

This week we're at Albemarle, who is struggling no doubt, but as Scrimmage Play said they are a wounded enemy you don't want to be near right now. After them, we've got Western, then Louisa and Monticello. If they win out, and go 9-1, a top 2 seed is in sight. I have a feeling we'll finish 8-2, going to the Jungle is never good for us. We will see.
Has the defense improved or have they not played a team with an offense?

Not that it helps your case, but I don't think Orange scored any points against EV's 1's and we could have put up 80 against them. EV could have 4 shutout's right now. At least you will get a chance to say, we beat Louisa. You just have to beat Louisa. Although then the group here will question Louisa :) :)

Reactions: blackknight_pride

Regarding your game against Orange, it just depends where C'ville has defensive liabilities. If your passing defense is suspect, you may have a problem. Orange has a pretty good QB who can throw the ball.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
It's going to be a battle. I'll go with SMITHFIELD in a close one.
Good choice- Poquoson barely got by a good New Kent team 14-7 a few weeks ago and escaped with a win against winless Tabb with less than 4 minutes to go. The set up looks good for a Smithfield win.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Good choice- Poquoson barely got by a good New Kent team 14-7 a few weeks ago and escaped with a win against winless Tabb with less than 4 minutes to go. The set up looks good for a Smithfield win.

Living in Poquoson now, Lafayette, so I'm hoping the Bulls can pull it out...I think they'll fare very well in the 2A playoffs, but the good 4A teams are tough. Looking ahead a bit, I just don't see Poquoson scoring on Lafayette's defense....

Reactions: Lafayette
Hoos, I like your confidence in your team and even though you have been virtually quiet this season we all know Louisa has a very good shot of representing region b in the state semi-final. I have said this before there will be no easy path for the top four teams in region b and no shame (disappointment maybe) if a given team does not advance.

I was not shocked by your revelation regarding "As to our studs playing both ways, I feel that if they played both ways last year, and we had Bell and Cherry against Monacan, we'd probably be talking about Louisa's chances at a repeat state title right now"; however, I did find it very interesting. I get with those two players out and the "studs" playing both ways may have helped some against Monacan, but even with three Chief turnovers in the red zone they defeated the Lions 42-24. The theory that Louisa would possibly be repeating state champions is perplex. Lets evaluate this: By beating Monacan you would have to travel, beat Dinwiddie (undefeated at the time) who defeated Monacan 58-18 with 140 yards in passing, 435 yards in rushing for a total of 575 yards, travel to Lake Taylor (9-1 at the time) and win, travel to Lafayette (undefeated at the time) and win and then beat Salem in the final (1 loss at the time). Wow, that's a tough task for any team much less a Lion teams who suffered regular season losses to Western Albemarle (4-6 regular season) and Charlottesville (6-4 regular season), lost 3 of their last 5 games and since joining the east have lost in the first round of the playoffs the past two seasons by an average scoring margin of 18.5 points.

Playing along and providing your theory is true, I will not assume the Lions could not have won the title last year. That being said, that was last year. As for this year, all I can say is bring it! To steal an analogy from a friend, Louisa has been the big bully taking everyone's lunch money without a much of a fight this season. There are at least three other bully's in region b who will go toe to toe with Lions and are capable of striking back. Let's see if Eastern View, Monacan, Dinwiddie and possibly Patrick Henry -Ashland will give up their lunch money. I do believe Louisa is highly motivated, is playing good football and has sound senior leadership. If Louisa wins region b (likely on the road), I will be the first in line to congratulate them, will offer no excuses and will appreciate the fact, they sent Coach Fisher out on a good note. Is Louisa a team of destiny? We shall know in the next six weeks or so.

Best of luck to all the teams.

Looking at the standings there are 4 contenders in B and the rest are hopefuls or pretenders. Of the 4 contenders EV and Louisa still have something to prove. Dinwiddie is the clear favorite and head and shoulders above the rest. But as they say, That's why they play the games.

Looking at the standings there are 4 contenders in B and the rest are hopefuls or pretenders. Of the 4 contenders EV and Louisa still have something to prove. Dinwiddie is the clear favorite and head and shoulders above the rest. But as they say, That's why they play the games.

Dinwiddie definite favorite in 4B. EV and Louisa could make it tough for the Generals, but I think ultimately Dinwiddie comes out of 4B

Although we lost a linebacker for the season against King George (but have some depth at that position) and are dealing with minor nagging things, we are in much better shape than at this point last year. Our pass defense hasn't been tested yet, and Monticello will do that. That's the only real question I still have about this Lion defense. QB Jarrell threw for 275 yards and 3 TDs against WA, and is deceptively fast when he runs the zone read. Orange will test our pass defense too, QB Carter is pretty good. I'm not surprised about Monticello. IMO, they should've been this good two years ago. I'm not a fan of Coach Lloyd. Coach Woody would have them as state title contenders each of these last three seasons. They are very good, but haven't seen a defense as good as this Louisa team's over their whole career. The Lions haven't seen an offense that good this season, but Monticello's defense is still suspect.

As to our studs playing both ways, I feel that if they played both ways last year, and we had Bell and Cherry against Monacan, we'd probably be talking about Louisa's chances at a repeat state title right now. I think the defense is good enough that it doesn't really matter what the offense does, or does not, do, as long as they don't go overboard with turnovers or have quick 3-and-outs. There is a JV player or two that are good enough to immediately start on defense in the playoffs if needed. One is Clarke County Hall of Fame running back Bo Morgan's son.

I won't get specific, but I love what our offense has been running when they aren't in the single wing, as long as our OC doesn't get too cute with it. Keep it Simple, Stupid (as Fischer would say). Against Powhatan, we ran the least single wing I've ever seen Fischer run. They ran it in the second half just to grind the clock, and were able to get more reps with the backup linemen. Line depth will always be a concern, but they have held up pretty well so far.

To me one of the keys for the Lions to move beyond the 1st/2nd round exits that has become the norm in Mineral, they need to develop an offense beyond the off-tackle run game. That will win lots of games against less talented teams but quickly gets stopped by teams of equal or greater talent. And in the case of Dinwiddie, Monacan, and EV that will be the challenge. If the Lions think they can just line up and pound those teams with the single wing they won't have to worry about practicing on Thanksgiving. I think often this year the Lions have spent time working on getting the ball out into space and keeping defenses honest. Even if it doesn't work sometimes they have to try it. And you can't just pass in obvious passing downs, you have to willing to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down as well. With no risk, there will be no chance of a deep run. The '06 Lions could keep it simple because they were more talented than the teams they played until they faced Amherst. Louisa has not had that luxury since and have earned 2 playoff wins in 10 years. I personally hope the Lions keeping taking chances on offense and don't live in fear of the big mistake. Be fearless boys and girls!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT