ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten after week 7

I was not shocked by your revelation regarding "As to our studs playing both ways, I feel that if they played both ways last year, and we had Bell and Cherry against Monacan, we'd probably be talking about Louisa's chances at a repeat state title right now"; however, I did find it very interesting. I get with those two players out and the "studs" playing both ways may have helped some against Monacan, but even with three Chief turnovers in the red zone they defeated the Lions 42-24. The theory that Louisa would possibly be repeating state champions is perplex. Lets evaluate this: By beating Monacan you would have to travel, beat Dinwiddie (undefeated at the time) who defeated Monacan 58-18 with 140 yards in passing, 435 yards in rushing for a total of 575 yards, travel to Lake Taylor (9-1 at the time) and win, travel to Lafayette (undefeated at the time) and win and then beat Salem in the final (1 loss at the time). Wow, that's a tough task for any team much less a Lion teams who suffered regular season losses to Western Albemarle (4-6 regular season) and Charlottesville (6-4 regular season), lost 3 of their last 5 games and since joining the east have lost in the first round of the playoffs the past two seasons by an average scoring margin of 18.5 points.
Charlottesville scored 54 points the week before. The defense was just in shambles at that point. The injuries started showing against Powhatan in week 5 and just got worse. I look at it this way: if Louisa had been able to force just two more Monacan punts, just two, and the Lions had scored on the two drives they moved the ball at will but the backup QB fumbled the ball away, we win. It's very simple, especially with all the penalties Monacan had. Last year's defense at the end of the season just couldn't stop anyone on 3rd and 4th downs, and that's how WA, Cville and Monacan (especially on 3rd and longs) killed us. Monticello did too at times. I think that Quinton Ragland was our most important player on defense, and he was really banged up as well and forced to play both ways the last few weeks. It doesn't really matter what Dinwiddie did to Monacan the following week, Monacan just didn't get off the bus for that game, and Louisa would've been a much different match up for Dinwiddie and would've shown a lot more heart. I love stats, but love seeing everything going on on the field, the body language, the ebbs and flows of games, seeing what happens if this one player doesn't miss that one tackle, just as much. All Louisa needed the last two years was a defense that could get just enough stops in order to let the offense hold the ball and grind it out. We don't need an explosive Dinwiddie-type of offense. Defense is more important to me than anything else. Just a couple of extra stops can dramatically change the flow of a game and the score. Last year's offense with Bell, with this year's defense would've been in grind-em-out games each week in the playoffs (and from the outside looking in by the average fan it wouldn't have seemed impressive), but Louisa would've been capable of winning all of them. Hopefully this year they keep both sides of the ball in sync and stay healthy.

To me one of the keys for the Lions to move beyond the 1st/2nd round exits that has become the norm in Mineral, they need to develop an offense beyond the off-tackle run game. That will win lots of games against less talented teams but quickly gets stopped by teams of equal or greater talent. And in the case of Dinwiddie, Monacan, and EV that will be the challenge. If the Lions think they can just line up and pound those teams with the single wing they won't have to worry about practicing on Thanksgiving. I think often this year the Lions have spent time working on getting the ball out into space and keeping defenses honest. Even if it doesn't work sometimes they have to try it. And you can't just pass in obvious passing downs, you have to willing to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down as well.
Did you miss the Powhatan game? :cool: If we keep that identity against the good teams coming up, we'll have a backbreaking offense.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Hoos, if things go as expected and if all four teams win out Louisa will move to third and will travel to Monacan. The Lions will have the opportunity to exact revenge on Monacan.

I am not seer, but your theory could become a reality if you beat Monacan and we are fortunate to beat EV. Win these two and you are one step away from Charlottesville. 3-4 games on the road and then the final. That would be quite the accomplishment. Especially if you play Dinwiddie at home. The Generals have only lost two playoff games at home (one against Phoebus with Boyd at qb) since Mills arrival and 0 since the realignment in 2013.

Can it be done? Sure can. Obviously you think so, or we wouldnt be having this conversation. Still four games to go before we get to see it all play out.

At least Louisa will be tested. EV is going to coast into the play-offs with some easy games and a late bye-week. However they should be the healthiest and most rested, but, that doesn't always work against the strong and battle tested.

Did you miss the Powhatan game? :cool: If we keep that identity against the good teams coming up, we'll have a backbreaking offense.

He's Baaaaaaaack! Must be second half of the season!

As for last year... You MIGHT have beaten Monacan with all your starters but even so... to go to Dinwiddie, LT, Lafayette and then beat Salem would have been like building the Pyramids by hand. Supposedly the Egyptians did that... so I guess it is not impossible but it is about as close to impossible as you can get.

As for this year... We will see. Louisa certainly looks good thus far! I think Dinwiddie and Eastern View are in the clear and wont face much of a challenge with the remaining teams on their reg season schedule. Monacan and Louisa have a few big games left.

A loss by either team hurts real bad in terms of seedings and probability of moving on.

At least Louisa will be tested. EV is going to coast into the play-offs with some easy games and a late bye-week. However they should be the healthiest and most rested, but, that doesn't always work against the strong and battle tested.

Very true but they do look good doing it regarding Eastern View coasting!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
The way Louisa's schedule is set up might help a lot. A gauntlet the next few weeks, with Fluvanna to close it out and a chance to rest a bit. Very grateful Charlottesville isn't the last game this time.

Great point mbonape1. I honestly, have no problem with anyones schedule. It will be harder to get a read on EV as we have not seen them face any adversity. Louisa has not been tested either, but Charlottesville has the potential to do it. I dont think the Lions will lose, but the Charlottesville offense will give us an opportunity to see how good the Louisa defense is.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Very true but they do look good doing it regarding Eastern View coasting!
Please don't take my use of coasting negatively. What I meant was they will easily finish out the schedule (due to their talent). It remains to be seen whether or not this will help (health and rest) or hurt (no experience with adversity)

Reactions: mbonape1
Please don't take my use of coasting negatively. What I meant was they will easily finish out the schedule (due to their talent). It remains to be seen whether or not this will help (health and rest) or hurt (no experience with adversity)
I dont think anyone is taking EV lightly. They are just playing the games they are scheduled. Same as everybody else.

Great point mbonape1. I honestly, have no problem with anyones schedule. It will be harder to get a read on EV as we have not seen them face any adversity. Louisa has not been tested either, but Charlottesville has the potential to do it. I dont think the Lions will lose, but the Charlottesville offense will give us an opportunity to see how good the Louisa defense is.
Monticello's offense as well. Check out Kevin Jarrell's Hudl.

Nope you will beat them easily. Besides you clearly said with the Louisa studs playing both ways you could win it all. Are you saying Monticello offense is on par with Monacan, EV and Dinwiddie?

@BleedingNavy nope, but this will be the first legit game our DBs will get tested for most of the game, and that's my remaining question about our defense. Monticello is a run-first team, but is the most balanced out of who we've played so far. Jarrell's a very good passer, and deserves his accolades. And it wouldn't be me if I didn't have worries about every team's best players.

Hoos, I love your optimism. But buddy, it's not grounded in reality. Just because you have Bell doesn't mean you can be successful enough running the ball. And if you can't run, and you can't pass, you can't win.

You would need to have 400+ yards of rushing to score enough points to stay in the game with EV, Monacan, or Dinwiddie. If you can't pass, and everyone knows you can't, then you will be basically trying to run against an 11 man front. Louisa ain't that good, my friend. And the three teams I mentioned can cover man to man plenty good enough to keep Louisa from beating them on a few lucky pass attempts.

I'm sorry, and I know how bad Louisa wants to win it all, but it just ain't gonna happen this year. One playoff win for you, tops. Sorry, just being brutaLily honest with you.

@DinwiddieProud thank you, at least you finally spoke up, but I've already known that's been your opinion for a long time.
Yep, and I knew your position, too.

So let me get this straight. You and I are hanging our reputation on a bunch of testosterone laden, 15 to 18 year old kids? Man, it's a good thing this is just football. We would have started WWIII by now!

(Wife had cateract surgery today, been sitting around a doctor's office all day! That's why the "no opinion" until now.)

I have to disagree with you a bit DP. You know how I feel about Louisa, so I will say it for the whole word to see. I think Louisa is very capable of beating anyone in region b; however, their chances are not as good if they have to travel. I do desire for Louisa to do well for Coach Fisher, but that does not mean I believe they can or desire for them to beat my Generals.

Since we are discussing our teams let me say this about Dinwiddie. We have grown each week. Our o line, d line, receivers and d backs have matured into very good units. The cool thing about it is we have done it without K'Vaughan Pope or Jacob Elder on offense. One game prior to and since their return to the defense we have not given up a single offensive score and held Thomas Dale (130) and Matoaca (95) to a combined 225 yards of offense. Hoos, if you think for a minute you are going to come to our house and ram the ball down our throats then you have quite a surprise in store. I know you have mixed in a little spread with short passes, but thats exactly what we prefer. You want the truth I will give it to you. EV bothers me much more, because they can stretch the field. Can Louisa throw long? Maybe, but there is no way Fisher goes away from his bread and butter until forced to and by then it will be too late. The scary part about throwing long a lot is you risk a ton of three and outs. I don't care how good your defense is its not as good as Thomas Dales and you know how that turned out.

Enough said. This isn't about the two of us anyway. Its about high school kids playing their butts off so we can sit back and play arm chair quarterbacks. Good luck to the Lions. Look forward to seeing the Charlottesville game.

I really do want Louisa to be good, would even love to see EV pick them up in the regular season. But if I go off last year, Hoos, you gave a lot of praise to KG and they played Louisa pretty well I think last year. Then EV played them in the first round and I think the game was over by the half. Courtland fans say EV isn't just better than Louisa they are wayyyy (yes they used that many Y's) better. Now of course what do they know. I think as long as Louisa found a passing game, they have a fighters chance, so I hope that is the case. I am routing for them, always been a fan of the Lion! I think someone said it above, size on the real good teams is probably pretty even, not going to just plow through I don't think. Most people think EV and Louisa are pretty much one and done this year having to most likely play the two best teams in 4A, so lets face it, we are underdogs my friend.. Not a bad place to be sometimes.

I really do want Louisa to be good, would even love to see EV pick them up in the regular season. But if I go off last year, Hoos, you gave a lot of praise to KG and they played Louisa pretty well I think last year. Then EV played them in the first round and I think the game was over by the half. Courtland fans say EV isn't just better than Louisa they are wayyyy (yes they used that many Y's) better. Now of course what do they know. I think as long as Louisa found a passing game, they have a fighters chance, so I hope that is the case. I am routing for them, always been a fan of the Lion! I think someone said it above, size on the real good teams is probably pretty even, not going to just plow through I don't think. Most people think EV and Louisa are pretty much one and done this year having to most likely play the two best teams in 4A, so lets face it, we are underdogs my friend.. Not a bad place to be sometimes.
I have a buddy who coaches on the Chancellor staff and he and the other coaches said EV was and is way better than Louisa. But let’s put that to rest about EV and Louisa because unless Louisa loses and drops to a lower seed they won’t see each other. Chances are if Louisa does lose it just puts Louisa at the 4. It’s win the first round and get your horses together and make that trip to Dinwiddie or Monacan.

EVCyc, I want you to know that your team is no underdog. I have watched some video and your little running back is tough as nails. He has the potential to break one at anytime. Your quarterback can sling it, but unfortunately he has not faced a strong defense, so the jury is out.

You are correct about the size issue. Monacan is probaby the biggest of the top 4 teams. Honestly, all four teams have capable defenses. The key to it all is matchups.

Good choice- Poquoson barely got by a good New Kent team 14-7 a few weeks ago and escaped with a win against winless Tabb with less than 4 minutes to go. The set up looks good for a Smithfield win.

Smithfield didn't exactly steamroll Tabb either, and they haven't played New Kent for any comparison. Poquoson and Smithfield's results versus common opponents this year:

Poquoson 21 Tabb 13
Smithfield 12 Tabb 0

Poquoson 31 Jamestown 14
Smithfield 28 Jamestown 10

Poquoson 19 Warhill 9
Smithfield 34 Warhill 7

Noah Holmes, arguably Warhill's best player, was injured and did not play against Smithfield. He was a real force on both sides of the ball against Poquoson.

I don't care how good your defense is its not as good as Thomas Dales and you know how that turned out.
Why not? Does Dale have a player that teams have to game plan to make sure they get two, three, even four hats on every other play, like Brandon Smith? Because that's been the case and he's still been going off. Or a defensive lineman that also has to be doubled every play, like Tony Thurston? And that's why the rest of the front 7 has been so successful. The linebacker core is the strength of the defense and you can't block everyone. Who really stood out to you for Dale besides Tyree? When I watched the Dale game, I was only focused on Dinwiddie, so I don't know.

You guys can do all this talk and stuff...but the fact of the matter is Louisa is in 4B and Charlottesville is in 4D two of the toughest regions in the state. Both will have plenty of chances to prove themselves come playoff time. We can discuss all of this after Louisa gets killed by Monacan and Charlottesville makes a hasty first round exit...or Louisa comes out and wins Region B and Charlottesville runs it's triple option all over Salem, Blacksburg and EC Glass. You can speculate all you want...nothing is for sure until the games actually happen.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Whose I am no expert on defenses and I will let you refer to real experts the college coaches. No one is questioning Smith he has the goods, but are you really saying your db's are better than Dales? Are you saying your entire defensive line is better than dales and aside from Smith your linebackers are better? Dales defense only gave up 21 points to the best team in 5a

I have given Louisa all the love I can, but there is no way Louisa's offense or Louisa's defense does what we did to Dale period. Their o line would maul the Lions.

What game did you watch? Tyree didnt do squat against us. He had one good run for 14 yards on the first play. He didnt get 50 yards on the ground. His lowest total this season and he got beat deep on a td.

I respect your knowledge, but as per the past three years it always evolves to overhype and unrealistic expectations from you. I don't get it. Based on your comments the Lions are the best team in the state the past two years and they a have the ultimate defense. Why don't you just let your young men play and enjoy it. It only causes you unecessary heartache and excuses if they tumble.

You guys can do all this talk and stuff...but the fact of the matter is Louisa is in 4B and Charlottesville is in 4D two of the toughest regions in the state. Both will have plenty of chances to prove themselves come playoff time. We can discuss all of this after Louisa gets killed by Monacan and Charlottesville makes a hasty first round exit...or Louisa comes out and wins Region B and Charlottesville runs it's triple option all over Salem, Blacksburg and EC Glass. You can speculate all you want...nothing is for sure until the games actually happen.

LOL! Where are all my western Posters at??? It’s like 4B is the only region that is alive! Where the hell is 4a at. You guys have a bit of a quagmire on your hands down there!

1. Dinwiddie
2. Blacksburg
3. Monacan
4. Deep Creek
5. Louisa
6. Eastern View
7. Lafayette
8. King's Fork
9. EC Glass
10. Millbrook
11. Liberty (Bealton)
12. George Washington
13. Charlottesville
14. Salem
15. Jefferson Forest

HM: Sherando, Smithfield, William Byrd, Amherst, Woodgrove

Why not? Does Dale have a player that teams have to game plan to make sure they get two, three, even four hats on every other play, like Brandon Smith? Because that's been the case and he's still been going off. Or a defensive lineman that also has to be doubled every play, like Tony Thurston? And that's why the rest of the front 7 has been so successful. The linebacker core is the strength of the defense and you can't block everyone. Who really stood out to you for Dale besides Tyree? When I watched the Dale game, I was only focused on Dinwiddie, so I don't know.

Dale has a very good defense. Let’s not minimize what Dinwiddie has done this year. They are perfect and played a tough tough schedule.

I promise you Dale would be a tough out for everyone in 4a. Do you think Louisa is better or could beat Dale? How about Manchester?

I'll call up @southbottomU and @3puttcharlie! They'll crank Region D up for us!
Blacksburg is good. Better defensively this year by far. Capable of beating any 4a team in state. You don't realize how fast Blacksburg is until you see them. Blacksburg faster than anyone in 4a and it's not just Beck. But if Beck gets by defensive line and has a seem between the linebackers, there's no one in 4a that catches him. Don't know about Glass. I expect some improvement from Salem the next few weeks, but don't think they can beat Blacksburg, they can beat everyone else in region.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Blacksburg is good. Better defensively this year by far. Capable of beating any 4a team in state. You don't realize how fast Blacksburg is until you see them. Blacksburg faster than anyone in 4a and it's not just Beck. But if Beck gets by defensive line and has a seem between the linebackers, there's no one in 4a that catches him. Don't know about Glass. I expect some improvement from Salem the next few weeks, but don't think they can beat Blacksburg, they can beat everyone else in region.

Agree with you on beck’s speed... not so sure about the rest of B.B. being faster than all of 4a... some fast characters out there. I know deep creek has a 10.7 100M guy and I know Dinwiddie and Monacan both have good collective speed. I do not believe you can solely speed your way to the title this year. I think Salem can win the west as long as someone else can knock off BB first

Who has the best chance of knocking off BB in the west? And why?

Agree with you on beck’s speed... not so sure about the rest of B.B. being faster than all of 4a... some fast characters out there. I know deep creek has a 10.7 100M guy and I know Dinwiddie and Monacan both have good collective speed. I do not believe you can solely speed your way to the title this year. I think Salem can win the west as long as someone else can knock off BB first
Receiver for bb ran 10.6 as sophomore. The thing is that they have some other kids that run well and the best d tackle I've seen this year. Remember I have seen Dinwiddie first hand. I don't believe Bb is better than Dinwiddie, but they are faster at all skilled positions other than qb
Dinwiddie s qb ability to run makes Dinwiddie better than bb

Reactions: mbonape1
What do any of you think of Cville? I feel I am the only one (other than mbonape and hoos) that has any opinion on them. I know most of you haven't seem them, but thoughts?

Receiver for bb ran 10.6 as sophomore. The thing is that they have some other kids that run well and the best d tackle I've seen this year. Remember I have seen Dinwiddie first hand. I don't believe Bb is better than Dinwiddie, but they are faster at all skilled positions other than qb
Dinwiddie s qb ability to run makes Dinwiddie better than bb

Oh I know their fast but do you think speed alone will take them there? Can they speed their way to a state title? I realize they are pretty damn good all around anyways.. I would love to see some film on B.B. if anybody has it... what are they feeding those country boys out there... must be the corn bread and buttermilk!

Reactions: CavsGrad
Who has the best chance of knocking off BB in the west? And why?
Salem just because. I think GW and Glass are able to match their speed but Glass is way more sound defensively than Danville is. Amherst is too up and down. I think they have the most complete team in the Region other than Salem.. Just can't put it all together

I have a buddy who coaches on the Chancellor staff and he and the other coaches said EV was and is way better than Louisa. But let’s put that to rest about EV and Louisa because unless Louisa loses and drops to a lower seed they won’t see each other. Chances are if Louisa does lose it just puts Louisa at the 4. It’s win the first round and get your horses together and make that trip to Dinwiddie or Monacan.

@OCBoy and @EVcyc are you both saying that EV is significantly better than they were last year?? You both have mentioned that in other posts. How do you think EV would do if they were in a Richmond district? Just curious not ribbing. Do you think they are just a really good 4a team or do you think they are in the conversation with the elite 5a’s and 6a’s also?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT