ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten after week 7

Smithfield didn't exactly steamroll Tabb either, and they haven't played New Kent for any comparison. Poquoson and Smithfield's results versus common opponents this year:

Poquoson 21 Tabb 13
Smithfield 12 Tabb 0

Poquoson 31 Jamestown 14
Smithfield 28 Jamestown 10

Poquoson 19 Warhill 9
Smithfield 34 Warhill 7

Noah Holmes, arguably Warhill's best player, was injured and did not play against Smithfield. He was a real force on both sides of the ball against Poquoson.

@islandersfan, @Lafayette, & @ForksUp give me your top 5 in the 757 for 4a in order... curious to see what you think

What do any of you think of Cville? I feel I am the only one (other than mbonape and hoos) that has any opinion on them. I know most of you haven't seem them, but thoughts?

blackknight pride I have not seen them in person, but have seen some film and spoke to a former coach from Charlottesville who watches Jefferson games regularly for a scouting agency he works for. For what its worth this is my take on them.

Offense: This team is tough to stop. You must have sound defensive end and linebacker play to stop them. Playing assignment football is not enough as it takes at least two to stop Folley. To slow them down you must clog the middle going low. Second, you must lay the wood on Neal from the start and make him second guess running the ball. Third linebackers need to stay at home and be prepared for a cut back. Last, but not least db's must be ready for surprise deep ball.

QB- Sam Neal is a perfect fit for the triple option. He is tough, has great vision, above average speed, and knows what to do the ball. My only concern about Neal is his footwork in the passing game. Charlottesville lives by the run, but can surprise you with the pass. He appears to be fairly accurate on his throws, but would be much better if he set his feet. Part of this issue is the scheme as it appears they disguise the pass by utilizing the option movement. Enjoy watching this kid play.

FB - Sabias Folley is a beast. He is surprisingly nimble for a big dude. Is a better runner between the tackles, but can go outside. Has a vicious stiff arm and rarely loses yardage. Forces defenses to concentrate on the middle; therefore teams are exploited by Neal and company on the outside.

SB's - Durrette and Davis are quick as you come and always are ready for the pitch from Neal. Both are quick and shifty with good hands to add to teams woes. Havent seen much of the receivers, but Carter seems to be a legitimate target.

O Line - I like this unit a lot. They block down well and get to the second level creating space for the backs. They do appear to have some problems with quick d lineman and linebackers, but this group is well coached.

Defense: Its hard to gage this defense, because they have not faced a high octane offense. Their d line play has been fairly solid and their technique looks sound, but found their linebackers often get out of position and can be gashed on the run. SS I. Washington has a good nose for the ball, but on some passing plays he tends to pinch up a little too tight for my liking. Brown is a decent cover guy, but his footwork needs to improve as I saw him get turned around a few times. I would say this unit has improved throughout the year and needs to sure up the middle if they intend to compete for a regional title.

Overall, I like this team and even though they use a old style offense they are good at it. If they can pound the ball and slow things down they can compete with the big boys in region d. If they get in a track meet, I believe the defense will let them down.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
@OCBoy and @EVcyc are you both saying that EV is significantly better than they were last year?? You both have mentioned that in other posts. How do you think EV would do if they were in a Richmond district? Just curious not ribbing. Do you think they are just a really good 4a team or do you think they are in the conversation with the elite 5a’s and 6a’s also?
From what I’ve seen yes they are better than last year. The qb play etc are better. I don’t think they are elite compared to some 5/6A teams but their are some that EV could beat. I think EV has good team speed but I don’t believe they are better than Dinwiddie. This is all based off of what I have seen on film.

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen yes they are better than last year. The qb play etc are better. I don’t think they are elite compared to some 5/6A teams but their are some that EV could beat. I think EV has good team speed but I don’t believe they are better than Dinwiddie

I said this in another post, this is the best EV team they have had, no doubt in my mind. Before this, I thought the best team they had was the year they lost to JF in that shoot out game. I won't go back to the first few years, I know they had great players, but they were not a very good "team" if you will. Last years team was very good, and they certainly took the team to that next level, but they were missing some things. I can't answer the elite question, but I have been asking myself, would this team have beaten LAF last year, I think yes. Would they have beaten, JF that year we lost to them, I think yes. Would they have beaten Courtland 2 years ago, I think yes. What has been changing over the last 3 years is what they are doing on defense. They have evolved into that team who likes to hit, they are bigger than they have ever been on the D line and they are conditioned better than most.
How far will they go this year? From what we know, for them to get to the semi's, they have to beat (most likely) at least 2 of the top 4A teams (as noted by many) at their fields. That's a tall task. When I read about the other teams and the tales of the players on those teams, it makes we feel like we are not as good. Some of these players are so fast and strong, I'm assuming they are kin to some of the Marvel characters. EV is not good enough to beat teams like that :)

Did you miss the Powhatan game? :cool: If we keep that identity against the good teams coming up, we'll have a backbreaking offense.
Definitely. Thought the OC did a great job in the first half mixing and matching all of his weapons. My point was more in reaction to your comment about just running the ball and keeping it simple. In my head as I read it, I heard the voice of an old guy in the stands yelling “Run the ball” every time Louisa puts the ball in the air. To me that is short sighted. Yes it could lead to Louisa beating some teams in the Jefferson by 50 or 60 points but won’t get them to their ultimate goal. Maybe I just misread what you were saying.

Definitely. Thought the OC did a great job in the first half mixing and matching all of his weapons. My point was more in reaction to your comment about just running the ball and keeping it simple. In my head as I read it, I heard the voice of an old guy in the stands yelling “Run the ball” every time Louisa puts the ball in the air. To me that is short sighted. Yes it could lead to Louisa beating some teams in the Jefferson by 50 or 60 points but won’t get them to their ultimate goal. Maybe I just misread what you were saying.
That wasn't what I meant. After building a lead against Courtland, our OC started calling misdirection plays with some double handoffs. That's something that isn't gonna work against good teams. I hope to not see that again, but he tends to get cute at times for no reason, even in close games. We didn't do that against Powhatan, though. That's what I meant by keeping it simple. I'd actually like to see more play action passes.

Reactions: mbonape1
I said this in another post, this is the best EV team they have had, no doubt in my mind. Before this, I thought the best team they had was the year they lost to JF in that shoot out game. I won't go back to the first few years, I know they had great players, but they were not a very good "team" if you will. Last years team was very good, and they certainly took the team to that next level, but they were missing some things. I can't answer the elite question, but I have been asking myself, would this team have beaten LAF last year, I think yes. Would they have beaten, JF that year we lost to them, I think yes. Would they have beaten Courtland 2 years ago, I think yes. What has been changing over the last 3 years is what they are doing on defense. They have evolved into that team who likes to hit, they are bigger than they have ever been on the D line and they are conditioned better than most.
How far will they go this year? From what we know, for them to get to the semi's, they have to beat (most likely) at least 2 of the top 4A teams (as noted by many) at their fields. That's a tall task. When I read about the other teams and the tales of the players on those teams, it makes we feel like we are not as good. Some of these players are so fast and strong, I'm assuming they are kin to some of the Marvel characters. EV is not good enough to beat teams like that :)
The biggest difference I see this year is QB play. The QB now is way more athletic and doesn't seem to be as turn-over prone. BUT....it's still hard to judge due to the lack of stiff competition.

Evcyc and Culpgrad, I made a conscious effort to try and watch video on EV this weekend. They have the talent to do well in playoffs; however, it is hard to really grasp their ceiling. I actually had a hard time focussing do to the lack of resistance they have faced. Honestly, I dont think they lost a single yard during the videos I viewed.

I agree the quarterback is a threat. The only weakness I saw in him is he tends to rush his throws at times causing overthrows.

The interior lines appear to be technically sound and open some gaping holes. Their little running back plays bigger than his size and always finds the seam. My biggest question mark on the whole team is their defensive backs; however, other than a few plays by Orange they havent been tested.

I am not sure if their schedule is a hinderance or an advantage. I tend to lean toward positive as just like me coaches who have scouted them have only seen a very generic offense and defense. No offense to EV they dont need to be fancy. Personally, they bother me as they are balanced on offense and can stretch the field.

You guys know them better, so have I to believe they can play with/beat the top teams in region b. Do you guys think they will drop to the fourth seed if everyone wins out?

Evcyc and Culpgrad, I made a conscious effort to try and watch video on EV this weekend. They have the talent to do well in playoffs; however, it is hard to really grasp their ceiling. I actually had a hard time focussing do to the lack of resistance they have faced. Honestly, I dont think they lost a single yard during the videos I viewed.

I agree the quarterback is a threat. The only weakness I saw in him is he tends to rush his throws at times causing overthrows.

The interior lines appear to be technically sound and open some gaping holes. Their little running back plays bigger than his size and always finds the seam. My biggest question mark on the whole team is their defensive backs; however, other than a few plays by Orange they havent been tested.

I am not sure if their schedule is a hinderance or an advantage. I tend to lean toward positive as just like me coaches who have scouted them have only seen a very generic offense and defense. No offense to EV they dont need to be fancy. Personally, they bother me as they are balanced on offense and can stretch the field.

You guys know them better, so have I to believe they can play with/beat the top teams in region b. Do you guys think they will drop to the fourth seed if everyone wins out?

Yes EV drops to forth with every team winning out. They will be 3rd if Louisa drops a game. I have done the math with most likely projections.

On the QB, he gets better each game. First year starter, the game is probably starting to slow down for him a bit now. Played his best game Friday, as far as reads and decision making goes. Great kid!

DB Spangler is one of the best athletes on the team. Any team that goes his way will be in trouble.

I'm going with everyone not winning out. You're absolutely right about the QB overthrowing it. I believe he will be more of a running threat when it comes to crunch time. He has very good speed and is very shifty...he just hasn't had to show that capability so far this year.

Thanks, EVcyc. Louisa and Monacan both have experienced qb's. Dinwiddie and the EV qb's are very athletic, but as you mentioned first year starters. Going to be a very good match up if EV and DSH play in the second round. Very similar styles and skill sets on offense. I have no clue how to compare the defenses at this point. Statistically, their ppg average is similar. Hope to meet the EV posters at the game.

That wasn't what I meant. After building a lead against Courtland, our OC started calling misdirection plays with some double handoffs. That's something that isn't gonna work against good teams. I hope to not see that again, but he tends to get cute at times for no reason, even in close games. We didn't do that against Powhatan, though. That's what I meant by keeping it simple. I'd actually like to see more play action passes.

I think if Louisa gets a big lead moving forward they should expirament with some new plays and try to get a solid passing game going so they can be well balanced for future playoff match ups. I think it will help in the long run

@islandersfan, @Lafayette, & @ForksUp give me your top 5 in the 757 for 4a in order... curious to see what you think

I'd have to agree with @Lafayette.

KF and DC both have good wins over 5A teams, KF beat Nansemond River 46-7 and DC over Indian River. KF's loss to Western Branch doesn't look great after Grassfield beat them.

This week should start to shape things up. I don't expect DC to beat Smith. If they can keep it close l'll be impressed. KF should be able to handle Indian River provided they stay disciplined.

As of right now, I'd put them in this order:
1- KF
2- Lafayette
3- DC
4- Smithfield
5- Heritage NN

Heritage NN isn't a very good team this year, from what I've seen. They have gotten back to 4-3 though so maybe they continue to improve.

Last edited:

KF and DC both have good wins over 5A teams, KF beat Nansemond River 46-7 and DC over Indian River. KF's loss to Western Branch doesn't look great after Grassfield beat them.

This week should start to shape things up. I don't expect DC to beat Smith. If they can keep it close l'll be impressed. KF should be able to handle Indian River provided they stay disciplined.

1- KF
2- Lafayette
3- DC
4- Smithfield
5- Poquoson

Heritage NN isn't a very good team this year, from what I've seen. They have gotten back to 4-3 though so maybe they continue to improve.

the only undefeated of the group is 3rd.... totally possible though we shall see

1- KF
2- Lafayette
3- DC
4- Smithfield
5- Poquoson

I’d give the #1 slot to DC for being undefeated and having a signature win over Indian River, which I believe by the end of the season will be a more impressive win than KF’s win on Nansemond River. Honestly, Lafayette and KF are playing lights out and could be favored if they played DC today, but with both of them having upset losses on their record, I wouldn’t rank them higher than DC at the moment. Smithfield and Poquoson could go either way, but I think Smithfield will earn the #4 spot this week.

I understand DC is undefeated. I just don't know if they could score with KF and think Lafayette would beat them if they played tomorrow.

Indian River is good because of their athleticism. That is the same story year in and year out. They have issues throwing the ball this year. At the end of the year I see NR and IR being relatively even. Again, if they played each other today I think DC is the third best team, regardless of record.

Last edited:
I understand DC is undefeated. I just don't know if they could score with KF and think Lafayette would beat them if they played tomorrow.

Why no issues with Poquoson at 5?

Indian River is good because of their athleticism. That is the same story year in and year out. They have issues throwing the ball this year. At the end of the year I see NR and IR being relatively even. Again, if they played each other today I think DC is the third best team, regardless of record.

I agree, DC would likely have trouble keeping up with KF and Lafayette in a high scoring game. On the flip side, DC's defense will be tougher than the defenses both of those schools have played thus far. I just can't put KF or Lafayette over DC at this point.

Again, I can see Poquoson being at #4 rather than Smithfield, because they have handled business with a relatively weak schedule. However, I think Smithfield's losses to Dinwiddie and Lafayette makes them a little stronger at this point in the season and better prepared for the playoffs.

I've known Coach Ferebee of Indian River since rec league, and always enjoyed the grittiness of their program.

Reactions: ForksUp
I agree, DC would likely have trouble keeping up with KF and Lafayette in a high scoring game. On the flip side, DC's defense will be tougher than the defenses both of those schools have played thus far. I just can't put KF or Lafayette over DC at this point.

Again, I can see Poquoson being at #4 rather than Smithfield, because they have handled business with a relatively weak schedule. However, I think Smithfield's losses to Dinwiddie and Lafayette makes them a little stronger at this point in the season and better prepared for the playoffs.

I've known Coach Ferebee of Indian River since rec league, and always enjoyed the grittiness of their program.

I gotcha. I agree that DC's defense is very strong. It's gonna make for some great games moving forward.

I coached Charles Dixon, LBer for IR, at Greenbrier Middle School. Great kid and phenomenal athlete. I remember last season when KF played IR. They believed they were better and forced KF to prove otherwise. I love that mentality. This year will be different. A change in Defensive Coordinator has the KF defense much improved. It'll be fun!!

Reactions: CavsGrad

1- KF
2- Lafayette
3- DC
4- Smithfield
5- Poquoson

I'm a little confused. Poquoson is 2a. If you are talking about the Bay Rivers, then KF and Deep Creek don't belong, nor Heritage. Clear this up for me please.

Regarding Smithfield I do think they are a solid club but they did sort of get blown out against Lafayette and Dinwiddie didn't they? Do they have a signature win or even a solid one under their belt yet?

Regarding Smithfield I do think they are a solid club but they did sort of get blown out against Lafayette and Dinwiddie didn't they? Do they have a signature win or even a solid one under their belt yet?
Not really...the best thing they've done is score 38 against Dinwiddie in week 1

The offense for Smithfield has been a bit of a mystery, 38 on Dinwiddie then 0 with Lafayette? If they can figure out their identity offensively they probably won't lose another game and will go 8-2.

Reactions: CavsGrad
The offense for Smithfield has been a bit of a mystery, 38 on Dinwiddie then 0 with Lafayette? If they can figure out their identity offensively they probably won't lose another game and will go 8-2.
Don't know the details of the Dinwiddie game....assuming they scored most of those pts in the 2nd half once it was decided?

But that is the problem with them.. they should be 8-2 as a floor... Anything else with their schedule would be uncivilized.

I'm a little confused. Poquoson is 2a. If you are talking about the Bay Rivers, then KF and Deep Creek don't belong, nor Heritage. Clear this up for me please.

No idea what's going on there. LOL. Disregard.

With LT being down 4A seems to be open for the taking.

Smithfield made most of their points as a result of long passes that Dinwiddie either didn't cover well, or they simply beat our defenders.

They were never too far behind. At least, too far down to call it a blowout. But, neither were they ever a real threat to take over the game. When we blitzed, that basically took away their passing game.

I'm like Mbonape, they are a better team than their record may indicate. Their QB can definitely sling it. And at least one receiver caught anything that came close to him.

Their lost to Dinwiddie was expected and understandable. Their loss to Lafayette was somewhat of a shocker. Not that Lafayette is anything less that a darn good team, but to be shut out after putting up 38 on Dinwiddie?

Now they are on a four game winning streak with two shut outs in a row? Just who are these Packers?

It seems like they have always played better as the season wore on under Coach Chavis. So who knows. I took a Poquoson, but only because they are at home, and they have loyal, vocal fans. If they played at Smithfield, I would have picked the Packers.

Poor Devils. I'm not sure what impact his leaving actually had on LT, but he hasn't been able to bring that magic to his new school yet. Churchland has a good chance of getting into the win column this week. They go against a Wilson team that has only scored 21 points all season. Somebody's losing streak will come to an end this Friday.

Hammy, in some aspects, this years Dinwiddie team is superior to 2013. In a couple of areas, not quite as proficient. For sure, they are a much better team than when the season started. But, so are all the good teams around the state.

But today, right now, the only focus is on a Meadowbrook Monarch team that is licking their chops, with intentions on sending the Generals home with the loss this Friday night.

You are right Hamspear the 2017 edition of Dinwiddie football is not as good overall as the 2013, maybe not even as good as last year, but there are similarities.

As seeing three EV games this year (courtland, chancellor, orange) I will attempt mbomape. I believe the EV defense is improved over last years defense. They have good size up front. They have a kid, a sophomore I think, at the nose who is big, and can move. The LBs plug pretty well and the DEs put some pressure on the edge. The DBs are the strong suit for EV in my opinion. All world D'Ago Hunter runs at FS and is true ball hawk. The rover, and true X factor is King. Big and fast. And they have a corner, Spangler kid, who can play on an island with anyone as he proved last year against some big time WRs who are playing on Saturdays. I believe he had several picks and a few he took back to the house.

Offensively, they are improved at QB. Although he's a junior he shows moxy. When he scrambles his eyes are downfield and if he tucks it he has above average speed but not a blazer. The RB game for EV is improved by adding depth. No. 4 is primary with a few good backups. No. 4 is a tough straight line runner who seems to hunt LBs and DBs to run over. The WRs are good across the board. Again All World Hunter is special. He does it all for EV. Already a 2 year all state selection, soon to be 3. The WR No. 10 is a good WR as well who seems to find the end zone. The OL are pretty big and they seem to pull and get down field pretty well.

Special Teams is better. The kicker has a good leg. Hunter back on KR and PR is special to watch.

To sum it up, I do think they are much improved, mostly with depth and QB play.

To answer the question about playing Richmond area teams? There are some years where Richmond area teams would want no part of the Fredericksburg area teams. It just goes that way sometimes. But IMO, I think EV would be competitive to those teams and it would be a good fight. As far as 5a and 6a schools, I again think they would be competitive and not a door mat for no one. I would like to see them schedule a game with a Massaponax, Colonial Forge, or a Stafford team just to answer that question. Sorry for long answer. I'm sure Evcyc and OCBoy will ha e there own input.

As seeing three EV games this year (courtland, chancellor, orange) I will attempt mbomape. I believe the EV defense is improved over last years defense. They have good size up front. They have a kid, a sophomore I think, at the nose who is big, and can move. The LBs plug pretty well and the DEs put some pressure on the edge. The DBs are the strong suit for EV in my opinion. All world D'Ago Hunter runs at FS and is true ball hawk. The rover, and true X factor is King. Big and fast. And they have a corner, Spangler kid, who can play on an island with anyone as he proved last year against some big time WRs who are playing on Saturdays. I believe he had several picks and a few he took back to the house.

Offensively, they are improved at QB. Although he's a junior he shows moxy. When he scrambles his eyes are downfield and if he tucks it he has above average speed but not a blazer. The RB game for EV is improved by adding depth. No. 4 is primary with a few good backups. No. 4 is a tough straight line runner who seems to hunt LBs and DBs to run over. The WRs are good across the board. Again All World Hunter is special. He does it all for EV. Already a 2 year all state selection, soon to be 3. The WR No. 10 is a good WR as well who seems to find the end zone. The OL are pretty big and they seem to pull and get down field pretty well.

Special Teams is better. The kicker has a good leg. Hunter back on KR and PR is special to watch.

To answer the question about playing Richmond area teams? There are some years where Richmond area teams would want no part of the Fredericksburg area teams. It just goes that way sometimes. But IMO, I think EV would be competitive to those teams and it would be a good fight. As far as 5a and 6a schools, I again think they would be competitive and not a door mat for no one. I would like to see them schedule a game with a Massaponax, Colonial Forge, or a Stafford team just to answer that question. Sorry for long answer. I'm sure Evcyc and OCBoy will ha e there own input.
No need. Well said...

Very well said.
King is fun to watch. First year player, great athlete, big surprise for the defense. If he had been playing the last few years he would probably have offers, but I'm sure he is catching someones eye right now.

I think the under rated group is the WR's.

The thing about Diago Hunter is he is one of the nicest kids, very quiet, humble. It's like watching someone play a video game.

The Soph DT is, how do the kids say it, he's a baaaaaad man :) His biggest problem is I can't get him to keep his room clean..

Man I'm ready for the playoffs to start, let's go already!

Very well said.
King is fun to watch. First year player, great athlete, big surprise for the defense. If he had been playing the last few years he would probably have offers, but I'm sure he is catching someones eye right now.

I think the under rated group is the WR's.

The thing about Diago Hunter is he is one of the nicest kids, very quiet, humble. It's like watching someone play a video game.

The Soph DT is, how do the kids say it, he's a baaaaaad man :) His biggest problem is I can't get him to keep his room clean..

Man I'm ready for the playoffs to start, let's go already!
C'mon man....it's D'Ago. You can't misspell a superstar name :>)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT