ADVERTISEMENT

Top Ten Most Playoff Wins Without State Title

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
The following ten teams have the most wins in the playoffs without winning a state title:

22-20 Varina
20-21 Matoaca
19-15 Potomac
16-11 Massaponax
16-14 Hermitage
14-11 Salem(Virginia Beach)
14-13 North Stafford
10-5 Tuscarora
9-9 Kecoughtan
8-8 George Marshall
8-9 Nansemond River
8-12 Lee-Davis

If you had to see one win it all in 2016, who would it be?

Curious, why Lee-Davis?
Silly reason. I'm not a fan of the other three area teams, and I don't have anything against LD. And I don't have any particular fondness for any of the other teams. See, I told you it was silly!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Silly reason. I'm not a fan of the other three area teams, and I don't have anything against LD. And I don't have any particular fondness for any of the other teams. See, I told you it was silly!
For me, Ideally it would be Varina, BUT Varina seems to be headed in the wrong direction!
So, with that said... I'd have to pick Hermitage. I do feel like, if Hermitage had beaten HS this past year, they would have had their first. The best team in D5 won the Title!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I would have bet any amount up to $50 that both Varina and Hermitage had won at least one football championship. Seems like I've been hearing about those schools' programs forever, even out here on the frontier. Potomac is another one I would have sworn had won it all at least once.

Guess I would have lost some money!

I was surprised that North Stafford, Massaponax, and Tuscarora had never one a football championship either. I would have lost my $50, too!

I agree, Varina and Hermitage have been around forever. You sure would have thought there was a championship in their history somewhere.

I was surprised that North Stafford, Massaponax, and Tuscarora had never one a football championship either. I would have lost my $50, too!

I agree, Varina and Hermitage have been around forever. You sure would have thought there was a championship in their history somewhere.

Herm has one back in 1958 but not one since. Keep in mind as well Hermitage didn't really become the power they are now until Kane arrived in 2001.

As for Varina, they had their chances... Multiple state semifinal appearances and two state final appearances... I was at the 1999 D6 Final when Varina was dominating in the first half and then lost by one point! That should have been their state title.

Well, I think Tuscarora opened when Woodgrove did, so I still think of them as new kids. And isn't Massaponax "new-ish", in the fifteen to twenty-year-old range?

Is Rob Senseney, who was at William Fleming in Roanoke for a few years, still at North Stafford? I'm thinking that's where he went.

Lots of very, very good programs on that list. I could see any of them winning it except for George Marshall.

Well, I think Tuscarora opened when Woodgrove did, so I still think of them as new kids. And isn't Massaponax "new-ish", in the fifteen to twenty-year-old range?

Is Rob Senseney, who was at William Fleming in Roanoke for a few years, still at North Stafford? I'm thinking that's where he went.
No Rob is in South Carolina now I believe. He left North Stafford to go to William Fleming. He left Gretna to go to North Stafford.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Is it a wrong observation by me, or do a notable amount of former Virginia coaches migrate to South Carolina? And eventually return? Or is this just a mis-perception by me?

Okay - a little Internet research reveals Senseney left Fleming for Knightdale High, near Raleigh, NC, where he coached from 2010 to 2013. He then took the head coaching job at Burns High in Lawndale, NC (western part of state) for two seasons, before resigning last November.

Lee-Davis. Turnech is a great Coach and the tragedy that has struck the Lee-Davis community is enough for me to pick Lee-Davis. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen can be motivation to achieve.

Lee-Davis. Turnech is a great Coach and the tragedy that has struck the Lee-Davis community is enough for me to pick Lee-Davis. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen can be motivation to achieve.
So very true! To everyone, please continue your positive thoughts and prayers to the victims of that terrible auto accident. Prayers to their families, friends and the Mechanicsville community.
Other than the 2 that died, there are still 3 more in the hospital. 2 are still in CCU (Critical Care Unit) and one named Becca ( the daughter of a dear friend of mine) that was move out of CCU today. She still has a very long road to recovery and the others even further. Please!

Just saw what happened with Dylan & the others at L-D. Hoping their coach can turn the tragedy into a rallying point for the team. That's such a sad situation & I've seen it played out with HS students in the spring of their senior year time & time again...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT