ADVERTISEMENT

Top ten week one 4A games

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
who wins big , who loses , who pulls the upset? chances of a week one shocker? games are in no certain order.
Ponax @ Courtland
JM @ Dinwiddie
LT. @ Heritage
Sherando @. Louisa
Charlottesville @ Dominion
Kettle Run. @ Loudoun Valley
Salem @. Amherst
Riverbend. @ Chancellor
Pulaski. @ Northside
John Champe @ Woodgrove

who wins big , who loses , who pulls the upset? chances of a week one shocker? games are in no certain order.
W Ponax @ Courtland
JM @ W Dinwiddie
W LT. @ Heritage
W Sherando @. Louisa
Charlottesville @ W Dominion
Kettle Run. @ W Loudoun Valley
W Salem @. Amherst
Riverbend. @ W Chancellor
Pulaski. @ W Northside
John Champe @ W Woodgrove

I was going to try to do this "preliminary" contest as something to talk about Hammy, but I just flat haven't had the time. Thank you?

Who put the "official" contest together for us here on 4a last year?

I have done it in the past a few times, I am nominating Mike Salem as my successor in heading up the weekly football pickem if he is willing to take on the task. what do you think Mike?

I have done it in the past a few times, I am nominating Mike Salem as my successor in heading up the weekly football pickem if he is willing to take on the task. what do you think Mike?
I second the nomination!

Before I commit to this, I need to know how you do it? I've played for the last 4 years or so and done pretty well, but I've never thought about the specifics. What is the criteria for picking the games, when do you put the list up, when do you post the results, what strategy do you use in keeping the cumulative results? I'm sure there are a lot of things I'm not even thinking about so just give me a rundown of how you do it. I have a lot of free time so I don't mind doing it, I just want to make sure I do a good job.

mike, I would just put up all 4A games no matter who they are playing on a weekly basis, seems to work better that way because the East teams play a lot of out of 4A division games. I used to keep a running spread sheet with the weekly results along with the totals for the season for each player. It's not that hard, just takes up a little time, you set the rules and how you want the pickem to go. Basically two posts a week results, and new weeks games. If you have questions call me, Dinwiddieproud has my number. You can even ask the board members if they want it a certain way, doesn't matter to me. You can't do wrong , by putting your time out there for everyone for this. I,know everyone would appreciate it, except LT, he's a complainer. Just ignore him! Haha

Ponax @ Courtland
JM @ Dinwiddie
LT. @ Heritage
Sherando @. Louisa
Charlottesville @ Dominion
Kettle Run. @ Loudoun Valley
Salem @. Amherst
Riverbend. @ Chancellor
Pulaski. @ Northside
John Champe @ Woodgrove

I don't see a single one of these being upsets but if I had to choose, Chancellor would be my number one and Amherst number two. With the odds I could get, I'd definitely put a chunk of side bet change on Chancellor.

Ponax
Dinwiddie
LT
Sherando
Dominion
Loudoun Valley
Salem (but I would really like to see Amherst. GL Wiki)
Riverbend
Northside
Woodgrove

Massaponax big
Dinwiddie
LT big
Louisa
Charlottesville
Loudoun Valley
Amherst, maybe big
Riverbend
Northside
Woodgrove

Reactions: wikki
mike, I would just put up all 4A games no matter who they are playing on a weekly basis, seems to work better that way because the East teams play a lot of out of 4A division games. I used to keep a running spread sheet with the weekly results along with the totals for the season for each player. It's not that hard, just takes up a little time, you set the rules and how you want the pickem to go. Basically two posts a week results, and new weeks games. If you have questions call me, Dinwiddieproud has my number. You can even ask the board members if they want it a certain way, doesn't matter to me. You can't do wrong , by putting your time out there for everyone for this. I,know everyone would appreciate it, except LT, he's a complainer. Just ignore him! Haha

Just do it your way Mike, whatever you feel like is the most manageable. Like Ham said, a spreadsheet would be my choice, too.

I'm not sure if I would do ALL 4a games. That's is a pile every week. Maybe the 10 best in the east and west?
You have about as good a grasp as anyone on all 4a teams across the state, but I'm sure Ham can add suggestions on northern area teams, I can help you with central teams, and I have a good contact down in tidewater. But most weeks, the good matchup's are obvious.

Let me know if you need Ham's number, or if I can help in any way.

And thanks. I look forward to this so much. I hope everyone will keep a good sense of humor. Needling each other is as much fun as the picks themselves.

Maybe. :D Just from what I've heard about each team I think Amherst could do it, but if they end up having another year like the last few, it'll be time to go another direction.

Maybe. :D Just from what I've heard about each team I think Amherst could do it, but if they end up having another year like the last few, it'll be time to go another direction.
Agreed. I like what I hear about how the coach provides the opportunities for the young men to learn how to be good citizens. But, with the expectations to return to glory, and to continue to come up short in the win column, it may soon become time for a change. A victory over Salem would be huge. It might be the catalyst that gets them going in the right direction. We shall see!

Ponax @ Courtland- Courtland wins this year, to many athletes 31-28
JM @ Dinwiddie - not even close Dinwiddie is loaded and WILL beat LT this year. 42-14
LT. @ Heritage 42-14 seriously they play nobody till the playoffs since Bird dropped em.
Sherando @. Louisa Louisa at home and the Fischer factor going for them but SHS to many weapons 28-21 SHS.'
Charlottesville @ Dominion don't sleep on Dominion they want respect and Charlottesville is got a way to go. D 28-24.
Kettle Run. @ Loudoun Valley kettle lost the coach , and some talent, and LV is trying to keep up with Woodgrove. LV 28-14.

Salem @. Amherst Amherst much improved , but that running attack will be the difference. Salem 35-21
Riverbend. @ Chancellor Chancellor will be good, but 6A Riverbend seriously change the schedule.24-21
Pulaski. @ Northside Northside 28-14
John Champe @ Woodgrove Woodgrove will ground and pound and won't be 4A tested till the playoffs. 35-21.

Reactions: danbeatty65
Ponax
Dinwiddie
LT.
Sherando
Charlottesville
Loudoun Valley
Salem (me too, sorry Wikki).
Riverbend
Northside
Woodgrove

JM @ Dinwiddie - not even close Dinwiddie is loaded and WILL beat LT this year. 42-14
LT. @ Heritage 42-14 seriously they play nobody till the playoffs since Bird dropped em.
O5NyCibf93upy.gif

Reactions: one man
Hamspear you should sign up for Open Mic Night at the Comedy Club. Do you know what we return? Sure Dinwiddie is loaded, but so are we. And schedule strength?? I just looked up Sherando schedule..It looks like its's full of tough teams...Sike
Norview Top 10 team in 5A
Norcom Top 10 team in 3A
That's just in district how many ranked teams in Sherando district yet we play no one.

Devils was just messing with you bro. But Hoos from what planet are you from and do not think that Sherando is the favorite in this game . I realize you are going to pick your team. I will pick mine.

Devils was just messing with you bro. But Hoos from what planet are you from and do not think that Sherando is the favorite in this game . I realize you are going to pick your team. I will pick mine.

Ok..On a lighter note yea most people will pick their team. I fill out my NCAA bracket the same every year UNC National Champs. I don't care if we in the first four I got us winning it all.

I never said Sherando isn't the favorite, just surprised you said "too many weapons" like we're playing Bird or something...

Last edited:
we don't have depth like that, see what happens. This warrior team will have to prove it on the field. A few young players will need to step up.

And hopefully I'll know more about my guys after the Bird scrimmage tomorrow and there won't be any scuffles.

It is time, they need to do it. The players are pumped. I talked to some of the last Saturday. They also excited about their trip to Florida

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
What is your thoughts on the Pulaski County vs Northside game?
I've heard Pulaski will be improved, but I'm not sure by how much. Northside was pretty good last year, losing to the eventual state champion Magna Vista. They return a significant amount of those players so I would favor Northside. They will contend with Magna Vista again this year to see who the champ in 3a will be.

I've heard Pulaski will be improved, but I'm not sure by how much. Northside was pretty good last year, losing to the eventual state champion Magna Vista. They return a significant amount of those players so I would favor Northside. They will contend with Magna Vista again this year to see who the champ in 3a will be.
Don't forget the new additions....Phoebus for starters....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT