ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Question.....

NNDanalyst

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 11, 2011
With many schools opting out of certain sports, is the VHSL allowing kids to transfer to neighboring schools to play?

I've been wondering if VHSL would budge on this and I have mixed feelings. Students can be all virtual and still play sports, DOE can remove and bend graduation requirements and award verified credits for SOL's, the required class hours and number of calendar days is subject to interpretation, but a students school opts out of sports and kids can't go to a school that is offering them. Doesn't add up to me.

For clarity, can someone in the know tell me how this situation would work?

(Using random Tidewater schools without researching what they’re doing)

My student lives in King & Queen County and attends K&Q Central HS. They cancel their sports season. I inquire into paying tuition for my student to attend West Point HS out of zone. West Point accepts them. If WPHS is sponsoring sports, can my kid play there? Or does that violate VHSL since we stayed living in K&Q?

There is a lot that doesn't add up for sure. They know of blatant violations of recruiting that occurs and they do nothing because they rely on schools to self-report. I know of an investigation that consisted of calling the school system and asking did they turn in the paperwork? School said yes, ok no problems. The kid bragged about putting down his mom's boyfriend's address. All this happens all the time but try to transfer to a school because your school system isn't participating, which is beyond your control, and the answer is "no way, can't do it, rules are the rules" is the stance by the VHSL.

Yeah, there’s no actual independent governance. That’s correct.

Just wondering about my specific scenario since it avoids a family moving. Curious to hear from Dre or other ADs/folks in the know.

If you transfer without a change of residence(i.e. tuition student) you have to sit 365 days from the date of enrollment.

In the other scenario, if you change addresses, you have to show change of custody paperwork to the new school. Plus, the new school is supposed to get the VHSL transfer paperwork signed off by the principals of both schools. At least that is how it is supposed to work if everything is done correctly.

VHSL eligibility info

Reactions: bpsdrefromva
That's the way it's supposed to work but how many school registrars do any investigating (which I don't blame - why would they - they don't know the rules). They get paperwork and input it in the computer. I've seen handwritten leases saying "Sue and their son are living at my house and pay $500 a month rent."

For clarity, can someone in the know tell me how this situation would work?

(Using random Tidewater schools without researching what they’re doing)

My student lives in King & Queen County and attends K&Q Central HS. They cancel their sports season. I inquire into paying tuition for my student to attend West Point HS out of zone. West Point accepts them. If WPHS is sponsoring sports, can my kid play there? Or does that violate VHSL since we stayed living in K&Q?

As stated above, if you're paying tuition to attend a school outside your district, that student will have to sit 365 days as part of the transfer rule.

Even if the student moves in with another family, it's not establishing a residency even if they are in the locality. That is when both principals have to sign off on that rule.

I had a situation a few years ago when a young lady transferred from my school to another jurisdiction and wanted to play softball because we didn't have a team. Because it was a change of guardianship (even though it was in another jurisdiction), the principals had to be notified of it. Once the guardianship was confirmed, the move became legal as it establish a new residency for the student.

Reactions: WP02alum
Gotcha, so even if that student had made the same move at the start of the year, it doesn’t work unless you establish a new WP residency. Thanks!

Gotcha, so even if that student had made the same move at the start of the year, it doesn’t work unless you establish a new WP residency. Thanks!

That is correct. Trust me, there are a lot of rules that apply to moves. Residency, being a bonafide student, etc. Lot of things and complications. The smaller schools don't have too many issues with that but when you go to bigger jurisdictions (such as Henrico), you'll deal with more of the issues of residency and what high school you attend, etc.

Reactions: WP02alum
So everything during this pandemic has giving leniency to rules but the VHSL penalizes kids for something they can't control. How does grades factor into this as well?

So everything during this pandemic has giving leniency to rules but the VHSL penalizes kids for something they can't control. How does grades factor into this as well?

Kids still have to pass five classes from the previous semester and be taking at least five classes. (Unless they are on a four-by-four schedule. If they are, they have to pass three classes the previous semester).

If a student is planning to do "Fall" sports or Spring sports, more than likely their eligibility will rely on what they did for the first semester of the FY2020-21 school year. That semester usually ends at the end of January/early February.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT