ADVERTISEMENT

Tunstall FINALLY gets it right

Forgotten more about the Tunstall program than you will ever know. How about the Graves kid just to answer your question.
Tunstall had 3 very talented freshmen on varsity this year. Jamison Graves is a very good player, who will do big things for football, and D’dric Rogers, who will be highly touted at PG. They are getting a very good coach who has been in the GW system his whole coaching career and is a Harry Johnson disciple as he won a state championship with him and went on to have a very good college career. Tunstall underachieved big time this past year. Had no stability at head coach and it was simply a big mess. I do look for Tunstall to start competing and beating the GW’s, Dan River’s and Martinsville’s. They will return a lot this year so I expect them to be one of the better teams in the area after Dan River and (MAYBE) GW?

Reactions: Playmaker915
Tunstall had 3 very talented freshmen on varsity this year. Jamison Graves is a very good player, who will do big things for football, and D’dric Rogers, who will be highly touted at PG. They are getting a very good coach who has been in the GW system his whole coaching career and is a Harry Johnson disciple as he won a state championship with him and went on to have a very good college career. Tunstall underachieved big time this past year. Had no stability at head coach and it was simply a big mess. I do look for Tunstall to start competing and beating the GW’s, Dan River’s and Martinsville’s. They will return a lot this year so I expect them to be one of the better teams in the area after Dan River and (MAYBE) GW?
Thanks for the scouting report. I noticed you did not answer the original question I asked which drew your initial smart aleck response. Last year's roster comprised of 3 freshman, 3 sophomores, 3 seniors and 6 juniors, if memory serves correct, and including the players you referenced does provide a nucleus. Rogers has the frame and skills that if they continue to develop he he might be highly touted if he develops strength. Not a knock as he was young and still needs to mature. The have potential players who could be good. The coach you refer to I have followed since his high school career. I wish him well and hope he has success.

The question I asked originally was phrased specifically for a reason. Coaching is one piece, rarely is it the only piece. Player talent, player chemistry, parent distractions, administrative politics, etc, etc, etc all generally figure in the mix. The problems of last year you reference were not just one thing. Just as important, the question I asked was intended to get people to consider that competing at the state level MAY not be as simple as adding a coach or having a few potentially talented underclassmen. The answer to the question I asked, known as the Tunstall basketball history, bears that out, in my opinion.

Thanks for the scouting report. I noticed you did not answer the original question I asked which drew your initial smart aleck response. Last year's roster comprised of 3 freshman, 3 sophomores, 3 seniors and 6 juniors, if memory serves correct, and including the players you referenced does provide a nucleus. Rogers has the frame and skills that if they continue to develop he he might be highly touted if he develops strength. Not a knock as he was young and still needs to mature. The have potential players who could be good. The coach you refer to I have followed since his high school career. I wish him well and hope he has success.

The question I asked originally was phrased specifically for a reason. Coaching is one piece, rarely is it the only piece. Player talent, player chemistry, parent distractions, administrative politics, etc, etc, etc all generally figure in the mix. The problems of last year you reference were not just one thing. Just as important, the question I asked was intended to get people to consider that competing at the state level MAY not be as simple as adding a coach or having a few potentially talented underclassmen. The answer to the question I asked, known as the Tunstall basketball history, bears that out, in my opinion.
Tunstall had 2 good seasons in the mid 2000s. I believe they won the old Region IV championship in 04 and was runner up in 05.

How many times since the days of Anthony Parrish, Jeff Huffman and Warren Martin has Tunstall been competitive at the state level in basketball?
How man time was the lakers competitive when Kobe retired ? In came bron ad an frank Vogel from the bottom to top . Change the culture , only takes one match to start a fire bro

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
How man time was the lakers competitive when Kobe retired ? In came bron ad an frank Vogel from the bottom to top . Change the culture , only takes one match to start a fire bro
He’s a good dude but he tends to give Danville or anything associated with it a hard time lol... Danville isn’t what it used to be and there’s a lot of adults, in charge, who are in over their heads .. At the end of the day, I’m riding for the kids cause that’s the city that made me who I am today and I want to see the kids be successful!

He’s a good dude but he tends to give Danville or anything associated with it a hard time lol... Danville isn’t what it used to be and there’s a lot of adults, in charge, who are in over their heads .. At the end of the day, I’m riding for the kids cause that’s the city that made me who I am today and I want to see the kids be successful!
As I have shared with you before you call it giving Danville a hard time and I consider it be realistic and sometimes even brutally harsh. I know very few athletes, if any, that reach their full potential if all they ever get is smoke blown up their behinds. More importantly, that is rarely the situation they will encounter when they continue advancing through the levels of competition. I hope they do well and Playmaker is entitled to his opinion and optimism regardless how different a high school environment might be from a pro or even college situation and the long term history and culture of a program or community.

As I have shared with you before you call it giving Danville a hard time and I consider it be realistic and sometimes even brutally harsh. I know very few athletes, if any, that reach their full potential if all they ever get is smoke blown up their behinds. More importantly, that is rarely the situation they will encounter when they continue advancing through the levels of competition. I hope they do well and Playmaker is entitled to his opinion and optimism regardless how different a high school environment might be from a pro or even college situation and the long term history and culture of a program or community.
You are correct more often than not. I understand that you’re from a generation that isn’t with the bs, whereas I’m young and more liberal, so to speak. I don’t have any confidence in 75% of the adults back in Danville (I really don’t have much hope for if we’re being honest) or the surrounding area. I personally thought that I could make some changes, but it’s years and years of generational ignorance in the area and I left after just 2 weeks. I GET YOU CUTNJUMP! You may think I’m over the top at times when talking about the kids, but at the end of the day, I love to see the kids do well and my intentions are in the right place. This coach who Tunstall is getting is part of the 25% who I do have upmost confidence in.

You are correct more often than not. I understand that you’re from a generation that isn’t with the bs, whereas I’m young and more liberal, so to speak. I don’t have any confidence in 75% of the adults back in Danville (I really don’t have much hope for if we’re being honest) or the surrounding area. I personally thought that I could make some changes, but it’s years and years of generational ignorance in the area and I left after just 2 weeks. I GET YOU CUTNJUMP! You may think I’m over the top at times when talking about the kids, but at the end of the day, I love to see the kids do well and my intentions are in the right place. This coach who Tunstall is getting is part of the 25% who I do have upmost confidence in.
They improved by 6 wins with no coach no offensive identity an no defensive schemes and were in a handful others till the end.

They improved by 6 wins with no coach no offensive identity an no defensive schemes and were in a handful others till the end.
All well and good and as I stated you are entitled to your opinion and optimism. I hope I am proven wrong. However, the original point still stands, competing at the state level is rarely as simple as adding a new coach which is what drew my initial response.

All well and good and as I stated you are entitled to your opinion and optimism. I hope I am proven wrong. However, the original point still stands, competing at the state level is rarely as simple as adding a new coach which is what drew my initial response.
Screenshotting this will bring this back out next summer

It isn’t as a stretch as you think. Get to your Region Championship game and you go to states. The worst GW team I’ve ever seen accomplished that this past year in 4A.

Screenshotting this will bring this back out next summer
That is fine. Like I said I hope I am proven wrong and, if so, I will have no problem admitting I was wrong. Hopefully you would be man enough to do the same if you are proven incorrect. I just hope they get a full season unaltered by virus situation.

It isn’t as a stretch as you think. Get to your Region Championship game and you go to states. The worst GW team I’ve ever seen accomplished that this past year in 4A.
I agree on the GW team not being very good. Saw them play at Jefferson Forest in the regionals. That was a really ugly basketball game. Thought the stripes let the game get way to rough.

I agree on the GW team not being very good. Saw them play at Jefferson Forest in the regionals. That was a really ugly basketball game. Thought the stripes let the game get way to rough.
I saw them play live twice this year. The loss at Martinsville and the ugly ugly loss to King’s Fork. GW Danville has always been amongst the elite in the state of Virginia for basketball, even on down years. This past year was not one of those years. I posted in December/January that some of the players weren’t focused, posting too much junk on Facebook and not taking their games seriously. You always get what you put into it, whether it’s physically or mentally. I wasn’t at their practices to see the work they put in physically, but I (and I’m sure you) could tell, their mental was on ZERO. I’m not talking bad about the Danville boys, just telling it like it is. I was born and raised in Danville. Danville was a very prideful city. The Danville (Martinsville and South Boston too) mindset is as long as I’m doing better as the next person, I’m doing well. That is the culture at GW. As long as they beat Dan River, win the weak Piedmont and beat one of the lower tier playoff teams, they are doing well. Especially football. The state championship GW brought home did some good, still a long ways from where it used to be. Kids just don’t LOVE being GW Eagles anymore. Too many other distractions (girls, social media, dope, street life)

That is fine. Like I said I hope I am proven wrong and, if so, I will have no problem admitting I was wrong. Hopefully you would be man enough to do the same if you are proven incorrect. I just hope they get a full season unaltered by virus situation.
Cutnjump you still here ? Jus checking.

I have coached in the Martinsville area for a long time and I know just about all you need to know about basketball programs in the area. I don’t think Tunstall will make much of a jump at all. Not a jab at DaMarcus but it’s just not a good situation to be in. Though he is head coach, he holds no power in that situation as he didn’t as much have the opportunity to pick his own coaching staff. As Cutnjump alluded to, I’m a realist. Anyone who knows anything about Tunstall, knows the political climate of that community and school. Don’t get me wrong, I believe Jaylen Crews, D’dric Rogers, Jamison Graves and the Zelinski kid all have a lot of potential if coached and developed properly. Tunstall hasn’t done anything in a very long time. Besides them beating Martinsville, who played without their best player that game, Tunstall did not show me much outside of the Rogers and Graves kid last year. Still a lot of kids our there playing who can’t hoop and is only getting minutes because of parent pressure, which goes back to the political statement I used earlier. When I watched them play William Byrd, the Rogers kid who was hands down their best player, sat the entire game just about. It was the strangest thing I’ve ever seen as Tunstall was way better than Byrd. The coaches had absolutely no intention of winning that game which leads to my next point of Tunstall having those same guys on their staff this year. There’s no absolutely no winning culture there and you’d be hard pressed to find that at Tunstall unless you’re looking at the Softball or Baseball program. I appreciate playmakers and ididntgetbanned’s enthusiasm but a lot has to change before Tunstall realistically is a factor in the area, none the less the region and state. In order for them to make the states, they’d have to either beat Cave Spring or Northside and consistently beat Magna Vista and the other Roanoke schools in their region. They haven’t done that and I’m not confident that their staff believes that they can do that. I’ve been following this board for a long time and thought I’d make a post. It’s a shame that GW Danville will be the only team in the Piedmont to play this year.

Reactions: bowlingref
Pump the brakes just a touch. In fairness, the guy that was quoted said "compete for/win a state championship". 7-1 is a great start, but the competition will pick up a bit in the coming weeks.

Upon further inspection, the Trojans are 7-1, but none of those 7 wins have come against a team with a winning record.

Pump the brakes just a touch. In fairness, the guy that was quoted said "compete for/win a state championship". 7-1 is a great start, but the competition will pick up a bit in the coming weeks.

Upon further inspection, the Trojans are 7-1, but none of those 7 wins have come against a team with a winning record.

You penalizing Tunstall for playing their schedule an conference? Team has 2 players with varsity experience. An 1 senior . 7-1 3-0 in conference

Mayberry, Tunstall is the real deal. I just don't think anybody in the district has anything for them. If you can't handle the press they will beat you into submission. Beat Bassett by 40, Gretna by 79 or so, don't know what happened with MV, only beat them by 15. Who around the Piedmont will give them a game?? I'm going out of town when they play the Dogs, don't want to see that blood bath. Could get very ugly.

You penalizing Tunstall for playing their schedule an conference? Team has 2 players with varsity experience. An 1 senior . 7-1 3-0 in conference
I'm not penalizing anyone. Just stating facts. There are lots of teams out there that are better than Gretna and Chatham. I said the 7-1 start is great. I'm just saying don't go dusting off the trophy case just yet.

I'm not penalizing anyone. Just stating facts. There are lots of teams out there that are better than Gretna and Chatham. I said the 7-1 start is great. I'm just saying don't go dusting off the trophy case just yet.
Westover Christian academy and green run Monday and Tuesday

Defeated Westover 86-55 on Monday
Lost to Class 5 Green Run 66-60 on Tuesday
Plays Dan River at 6pm today in the 3rd place game (2nd meeting of the season - Tunstall won the first matchup by nine in early December, ending a 28-game winning streak the Wildcats had against the Trojans.

Tunstall should’ve been the 1 seed in the tournament since they had the best record. Lady official made horrible calls during the Tunstall/GR game that affected the outcome. Rogers had 2 quick fouls and I’m still in awe she called that weak 3rd foul. Tunstall will be hard to beat come region time and they are hands down the best team in Southside. GW and DR are a shell of themselves.

That Tunstall/GW matchup next week ought to be interesting.
I agree. Tunstall is the better team, however, GW’s core have played varsity together for 3 years. They were thrown into the fire after they won the state championship and lost 8 players to graduation . Tunstall normally has 4 sophomores on the court together. Toss up. I never count out experience, if young talent always won, Duke and Kentucky would win it every year. Tunstall has never ever beaten GW so this will be a huge game in Dry Fork.

If you plan on going, plan to get there no later than 4:30 if you want a chance at getting in.

Defeated Westover 86-55 on Monday
Lost to Class 5 Green Run 66-60 on Tuesday
Plays Dan River at 6pm today in the 3rd place game (2nd meeting of the season - Tunstall won the first matchup by nine in early December, ending a 28-game winning streak the Wildcats had against the Trojans.
3rd place game was cancelled due to COVID related issues with DR. I believe the tourney awarded Tunstall the 3rd place trophy.

I wish when they renovated the four PCS high schools over a decade ago, that they expanded the current gyms and/or built an auxiliary gym. Missed out on an opportunity. All 4 PCS high school gyms should be the size of GW, while GW needs one either like Halifax County or maybe one like Heritage with an indoor track.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT