ADVERTISEMENT

Tuscarora vs salem

I would think it would be more situational!! 3rd and 4. They ain’t going long, they going for a first down. Not saying they shouldn’t run zone, just in situations it shouldn't be so soft.

Salem made a good adjustment last year against martinsburg when they went into a 3-4 look with two backers fitting from outside the box. Really slowed the bulldogs down for awhile. I’d think they’d play something similar against similar spread teams.

Salem runs a a 4-2 scheme on defense. In this scheme, you keep 4 DL and 2 LBs inside the box and 2 safeties deep in most situations. That leaves 1 extra player to be the "over hang" defender to the "strong side". This type of scheme will always have a safety 10-12 yards off the ball on one side of the defense if a team uses 4-5 WR formations like Glass did if the defense wants to keep a 2 deep zone coverage/look. The alternative is to play a variation of man or Cover 3 if the concern is that slot WR beating you in the 5-7 yard hole. But then you become vulnerable to getting beat deep.

I think their scheme is the best it can be to take away the strength of other teams. I can tell you right now that you don't want Salem playing man coverage or cover 3 vs King George or Phoebus.
Salem did have 4 interceptions against Glass

I would think it would be more situational!! 3rd and 4. They ain’t going long, they going for a first down. Not saying they shouldn’t run zone, just in situations it shouldn't be so soft.
Teams aren’t going long because they have 2 safeties deep to prevent the long ball. If you play tight then teams will go long. You have to pick your poison one way or the other. Seems like Salem’s coaches are ok with a bend but don’t break philosophy so they would rather give up the short yards rather than risk giving up the deep ball.

Reactions: SFUWO
I think it has a lot to do with how you practice... There's a lot of emphasis on 1on1s, especially with the camps, which is a BS offensive drill imho. Most times QB isn't going to have just one receiver, one route to throw to. 2on2's and 3on3's with slot coverage. Press work. Technique, movement, eye discipline goes a loooong way. Man and zone. But definitely if you want to play aggressive man coverage. Just my take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilroy25
Based on the last two meetings between these teams; you have to assume this will be a VERY close game. Somebody posted Tusky’s PPG on the other board. What they neglected to mention PA. Tuscarora is a program very much like Salem. They are not Salem (rings etc.) but are consistently in the mix and are well coached. They are good enough to beat Salem and have already proven they can. It should be a good one in Leesburg.

Based on the last two meetings between these teams; you have to assume this will be a VERY close game. Somebody posted Tusky’s PPG on the other board. What they neglected to mention PA. Tuscarora is a program very much like Salem. They are not Salem (rings etc.) but are consistently in the mix and are well coached. They are good enough to beat Salem and have already proven they can. It should be a good one in Leesburg.
Different teams.

Reactions: wolverinedad2018
Are they? 12-0 and 12-1
Fastest team in Salem history. Lewis fastest player in State, he is also not small. 6 1 205
Not a big team in the line.
2 under armor All Americans.
Qb has played great last 4 games.
3 D1 power 5 athletes at linebacker.
Make more mistakes like motion than most Salem teams. but extremely explosive.

This is why we play the games. Everyone matches up different to each other.

If Tusky gets first and goal at the one, they will just run behind that huge tackle and get the yard. I just don't know if they will ever see the 1.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Fastest team in Salem history. Lewis fastest player in State, he is also not small. 6 1 205
Not a big team in the line.
2 under armor All Americans.
Qb has played great last 4 games.
3 D1 power 5 athletes at linebacker.
Make more mistakes like motion than most Salem teams. but extremely explosive.
I was really surprised at how undisciplined Salem was against Glass. They had a lot of penalties that could have been avoided. Was that unusual for this year's team or has that been an issue all year?

Reactions: freeatlast2013
For fun...

Tuscarora:

PA total - 119 points (9.9 ppg)

3-7 Heritage-Leesburg 0 points (tied for fewest points scored by Heritage)
4-7 Independence 13 points (4th fewest points scored by Independence)
7-5 Loudon County 0 points and 16 points (fewest and 3rd fewest points scored by Loudon County)
6-5 Lightridge 17 points (3rd fewest points scored by Lightridge)
4-6 Potomac Falls 7 points (2nd fewest points scored by Potomac Falls)
7-5 Loudon Valley 0 points (fewest points scored by Loudon Valley)
3-7 Rock Ridge 6 points (tied for 2nd fewest points scored by Rock Ridge)
2-8 Dominion 6 points (tied for 3rd fewest points scored by Dominion)
4-6 Woodgrove 12 points (tied for fewest points scored by Woodgrove)
3-8 Broad Run 21 points (5th fewest points scored by Broad Run)
10-2 John Champe 21 points (tied for 2nd fewest points scored by John Champe)

PF total - 345 points (28.8 ppg)

3-7 Heritage-Leesburg 9 points (9th most points allowed by Heritage)
4-7 Independence 42 points (2nd most points allowed by Independence)
7-5 Loudon County 7 points and 28 points (fewest points allowed and tied for most points allowed)
6-5 Lightridge 20 points (7th most points allowed by Lightridge)
4-6 Potomac Falls 30 points (2nd most points allowed by Potomac Falls)
7-5 Loudon Valley 14 points (tied for 6th most points allowed by Loudon Valley)
3-7 Rock Ridge 45 points (most points allowed by Rock Ridge)
2-8 Dominion 49 points (3rd most points allowed by Dominion)
4-6 Woodgrove 28 points (tied for 4th most points allowed by Woodgrove)
3-8 Broad Run 49 points (2nd most points allowed by Broad Run)
10-2 John Champe 24 points (5th most points allowed by John Champe)

Part II...

Salem:

(I am not including the forfeit score of the Blacksburg game or Salem's PF would suffer and PA would benefit)

PA total - 110 points (9.2 ppg)

13-0 LCA 21 points (fewest points scored by LCA)
4-6 Franklin County 7 points (3rd fewest points scored by Franklin County)
8-5 William Fleming 14 points (3rd fewest points scored by William Fleming)
2-8 Northside 14 points (tied for 2nd fewest points scored by Northside)
9-2 Patrick Henry 7 points (fewest points scored by Patrick Henry)
1-9 Hidden Valley 0 points (fewest points scored by Hidden Valley)
4-7 Pulaski County 13 points (fewest points scored by Pulaski County)
3-7 Cave Spring 3 points (tied for fewest points scored by Cave Spring)
8-4 Christiansburg 10 points (fewest points scored by Christiansburg)
5-6 Liberty-Bealeton 7 points (2nd fewest points scored by Liberty-Bealeton)
8-4 Handley 0 points (fewest points scored by Handley)
9-4 EC Glass 14 points (tied for 3rd fewest points scored by EC Glass)

PF total - 520 points (43.3 ppg)

13-0 LCA 14 points (tied for most points allowed by LCA)
4-6 Franklin County 48 points (tied for 2nd most points allowed by Franklin County)
7-5 William Fleming 33 points (2nd most points allowed by William Fleming)
2-8 Northside 62 points (most points allowed by Northside)
9-2 Patrick Henry 24 points (3rd most points allowed by Patrick Henry)
1-9 Hidden Valley 51 points (3rd most points allowed by Hidden Valley)
4-7 Pulaski County 49 points (tied for 2nd most points allowed by Pulaski County)
3-7 Cave Spring 51 points (most points allowed by Cave Spring)
8-4 Christiansburg 49 points (most points allowed by Christiansburg)
5-6 Liberty-Bealeton 55 points (most points allowed by Liberty-Bealeton)
8-4 Handley 42 points (3rd most points allowed by Handley)
9-4 EC Glass 42 points (most points allowed by EC Glass)

Last edited:
What I gleaned from that research is Salem was simply far more consistent. They were, by and large, their given opponent's worst nightmare of the season on both sides of the ball, regardless of the quality of the opponent. Tuscarora rarely put a complete game together in this aspect and while more consistent defensively, they were wildly inconsistent on offense. What I'd further infer is that when the quality of opponent rises (one of the LoCo games, Lightridge, LV, and JC) their offense struggles far more whereas Salem's offense has been consistently good against anyone they've faced thus far relative to all other teams said opponent faced. That would lead one to believe that they may present the Salem offense with challenges yet unseen since week 1 for Salem but offensively they have yet to face a defense of Salem's caliber and could suffer mightily for it.

YMMV on this data.

I was really surprised at how undisciplined Salem was against Glass. They had a lot of penalties that could have been avoided. Was that unusual for this year's team or has that been an issue all year?
This Salem team seems to have more penalties than most Salem teams. However, because of the explosive nature of their athletes they often recover the penalty yardage and more.

Reactions: VolNation85
What I gleaned from that research is Salem was simply far more consistent. They were, by and large, their given opponent's worst nightmare of the season on both sides of the ball, regardless of the quality of the opponent. Tuscarora rarely put a complete game together in this aspect and while more consistent defensively, they were wildly inconsistent on offense. What I'd further infer is that when the quality of opponent rises (one of the LoCo games, Lightridge, LV, and JC) their offense struggles far more whereas Salem's offense has been consistently good against anyone they've faced thus far relative to all other teams said opponent faced. That would lead one to believe that they may present the Salem offense with challenges yet unseen since week 1 for Salem but offensively they have yet to face a defense of Salem's caliber and could suffer mightily for it.

YMMV on this data.
Not to mention, that a lot of those points allowed throughout the season came from the back ups being put in because of blow outs.

Reactions: hrsepasture1
Not to mention, that a lot of those points allowed throughout the season came from the back ups being put in because of blow outs.

Correct, Salem's first team D has only given up 82 (the NS game should have been a shutout, those were 2 pick sixes from the 2nd and 3rd string QBs and the 3 from CS came off a muffed punt inside the 10) but some of that is likely also true for Tuscarora but I have no knowledge of it so I didn't feel safe comparing as such.

Much the same, the five game stretch from Northside to Cave Spring was done without the starting QB so the point totals offensively for those games are in all likelihood lower than what they should have been but again, I have no clue about Tuscarora injuries so safer just to compare straight across the board.

Your wrong salem will use the seldom scene 1...9.. 1... def. possum high in hobunk Kentucky used it beat... bump hollow creek in 1962 by the score of 6 to 0
College Football Running GIF by Boomerang Official

Reactions: freeatlast2013
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT