ADVERTISEMENT

Tweeking of Realignment After Appeals

Region 4D is going from 12 schools to 8. Losing Carroll, William Byrd, Charlottesville, LCA, and now Bassett (apparently going to be allowed to move down also.) And Adding Halifax. There is a big disparity between B, with 16 schools, and D with only 8.

So only 50% of Region B and 40% of Region C make the playoffs (only six make it in C) but every Region D team gets in? That's hardly fair.

So only 50% of Region B and 40% of Region C make the playoffs (only six make it in C) but every Region D team gets in? That's hardly fair.
on paper, but none of these schools want to move because of the travel expenses.
It is what it is - so win more games and get into the top eight.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I'm sure the Region will vote to allow only 6 for football, but that's still 75% Definitely not fair. They could have moved some Region B schools to D, but then there would be more travel.

Yeah and bs too. I cant stand the disparity. The VHSL (member schools) claim equality and fair plsy, but allow teams to play fewer games in the playoffs. D and C (at different times) have had this advantage for several years. A and B (East) rep in the final always plays 15 games. They should have to allow all 8 teams in period.

It's up to the AD's of each region to determine playoff format. That is not a VHSL decision.

Yeah and bs too. I cant stand the disparity. The VHSL (member schools) claim equality and fair plsy, but allow teams to play fewer games in the playoffs. D and C (at different times) have had this advantage for several years. A and B (East) rep in the final always plays 15 games. They should have to allow all 8 teams in period.
I don't recall 4D ever giving teams a bye in the first round of playoffs. Region 4D rep in finals has always played 15 games to my knowledge.

Yeah. That was when there were 2 regions and only 12 teams made the playoffs in 4A West. I remember this well as in 2015 Byrd went 6-4 with close losses to state champions Magna Vista, state runner up Botetourt, district champions Northside, and another loss to state champions Salem. That was one of the best teams to miss the playoffs in recent memory imo.

I like this idea 1morehokie. Would put more emphasis on scheduling tougher opponents if you wanted a bye as well.

It's up to the AD's of each region to determine playoff format. That is not a VHSL decision.

I don't like disparity between regional formats. But, I like the autonomy that is given to the regions. You either cede power to the VHSL, or you accept variances between Regions.

To repeat what Vols said, regional playoff format is not a VHSL plan or policy. Each Region's playoff format is entirely decided by majority vote of that Regions member schools.

Reactions: VolNation85
I'm sure the Region will vote to allow only 6 for football, but that's still 75% Definitely not fair. They could have moved some Region B schools to D, but then there would be more travel.
I see this both ways.
1. The team with the bye has to sit and watch everyone else play and possibly lose momentum going into playoffs.
2. the top seeds in 4A,4B, and 4C get basically a scrimmage before the real playoffs begin.
ex) Dinwiddie first round games
2013, 63-0
2016, 40-7
Lake Taylor
2014, 28-0
2015, 55-14
Salem
2013, 49-27
2014, 52-13
2015, 35-7 second round
2016, 59-14 second round
2017, 70-34 second round
Sherando
2013, 49-15
Louisa
2017, 35-13

The regions should vote to allow only 6 teams. I personally think that 8 teams are too many. In some rare situations a team rated lower than 6 has a real chance of making a deep playoff run. I agree all regions should be on the same page.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
But, because of the disparity in numbers of teams in each region, you would be excluding some deserving teams simply because they are in bigger regions. Next year, 4-B has 16 schools. Last season, 4-B had 4
10-0 teams, if you only allowed 6 schools, you could leave out 8-2 teams some years.

That is one of the things that led to the new system that we now use. (Once or twice in the years leading up to the present playoff format, there were 9-1 teams in the Richmond area that missed the playoffs).

As much as I wish for the format to be the same across each Class, I als can appreciate that what is best for one region, is detrimental to another.

Personally, if I'm a coach, I would rather have a game, than a bye. Like SWUWO said, I think being off has more bad connotations than playing even a weak team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT