ADVERTISEMENT

Ugliest game you've ever seen

I will need to correct you just a bit on that play... it actually wasn't a touchdown play at all. It was a an intermediate throw for a first down near midfield. It was a horrible call but Amherst still had chances to stop them and didn't afterwards.
The Spradlin catch was for a TD and was a horrible call. The endzone was nearest the field house and on the left side if you were viewing from the home side. He looked to be 3 yds out of bounds.

i just hope one ref from the area will not be reffing this game. As us Salem fans know him as "Santa Claus" (bc of his white beard). He is consistent, consistently bad!

Speaking of officials. I know this is off topic but, please don't get started on the officials costing teams games. Lol DP and I have already heard enough side talk about how "you have to beat Salem and the refs", "better beat Salem bad or you dont stand a chance", and the best one yet "the whole ref crew will be former Salem or Andrew Lewis guys".

This type of talk is usually propaganda and bs. The Dinwiddie vs. Salem game should be a good one. I personally expect the Roanoke Officials group to put their best crew on this game. They may favor Salem to some degree, but most officials call it down the middle and like a good game. Since these two teams played for the state championship last season the Roanoke refs know big brother will be watching. A job well done means future playoff assignments for the assigned crew.

I know I brought it up, but for you GW Danville and EC Glass alumni be careful. People felt the same way about coming to your house in thev1970's and 1980's. Good teams always hear it. Its usually just an excuse for getting beat. Heck, if Salem plays penalty free, and perfect football like they did in November my Generals will have a tough night anyway.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
I will need to correct you just a bit on that play... it actually wasn't a touchdown play at all. It was a an intermediate throw for a first down near midfield. It was a horrible call but Amherst still had chances to stop them and didn't afterwards.

The worst officiating I have ever seen in high school football was 2004 Salem at Christiansburg. Salem, the least penalized team in the state that year, had 4x more penalties and yards than they had in any other game that season. Made up penalties, huge mistakes and just awful game-changing calls the entire game. Tony Spradlin (Funny that he is mentioned again) actually got hit after fair catching a punt and they threw a flag on Cburg on the play but marched the yardage the wrong way and Salem LOST 15 yards and then Spradlin got a PF penalty for yelling at the official for not knowing what he was doing. Instead of being up 15 yards, they were BACK 30 yards from where the punt was caught. None of the individual calls were as bad as the 2005 Salem Amherst game but it was easily the worst I have ever seen for an entire game.

Well, the one I'm recalling, the real notorious one, went for a touchdown, as recounted in this article from the RT from two years ago:
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_...cle_fe1e6d8d-8e53-5e8d-9a4b-f5697ec2020e.html

There may have been another controversial catch in that game but lord, I hope not!

I absolutely agree about that 2004 C'burg game.

Last edited:
Well, I heard someone say that his third cousin removed swore that his father said that his third cousins son had knew that the Spartans had talked to him about being being a Spartan by one of the fans and had heard this kind of thing happened all the time.

DP, don't give out all our secrets. I have to come home from the beach to pick up the two new guys from Richmond International in Parkers limo. Can you make sure fridge in the condo at Lake Chesdin is fully stocked and the jet skis are gassed up.

Firstdown, has already delivered the Underarmor supplies and 247 Recruit is bringing our boy Urban for a chat. Crossroads Ford will be delivering the Mustang GT'S on Tuesday.

DP, dont forget to go by the bank and pull the safety deposit box. I left two good size envelopes for you to distribute as needed.

Oh crap I forgot, make sure the kitchen is ready. Bobby Flay is the Chef of the Month. Will be flying the helicopter into the Dinwiddie Airport at 7 am tomorrow. Tell Parker to have the ride there by 7:30.

What about the ladies? :):):)
We are an upstanding program! We went to a Rick Pitino clinic on recruitment to get some tips, but we are are smack dab in the bible belt and felt that was taking it too far. Besides, we are gentlemen and have the utmost respect four our ladies.

Although some may doubt us, Dinwiddie men are quite intellegent and understand our ladies run the show. Basically we work hard, play hard and follow directions very well.

We will leave the women portion of recruitment to Mac Daddy Mike and the Salem program. Besides we are Generals not Spartans or Trojans. Lol

DP, don't give out all our secrets. I have to come home from the beach to pick up the two new guys from Richmond International in Parkers limo. Can you make sure fridge in the condo at Lake Chesdin is fully stocked and the jet skis are gassed up.

Firstdown, has already delivered the Underarmor supplies and 247 Recruit is bringing our boy Urban for a chat. Crossroads Ford will be delivering the Mustang GT'S on Tuesday.

DP, dont forget to go by the bank and pull the safety deposit box. I left two good size envelopes for you to distribute as needed.

Oh crap I forgot, make sure the kitchen is ready. Bobby Flay is the Chef of the Month. Will be flying the helicopter into the Dinwiddie Airport at 7 am tomorrow. Tell Parker to have the ride there by 7:30.

You can have Bobby. If we lose Giada from Cafe Spar-TAN, then we're in trouble.

You can have Bobby. If we lose Giada from Cafe Spar-TAN, then we're in trouble.
You can have Giada and her fattening italian food. We feed our boys Tex-Mex and all forms of pork barbecue.

When you guys visit in 2018, we will make sure you get to taste some of our delicacies. Might bring in Emoril Laggassi with some bam!

I failed to mention a private donor has offered to put field turf, a new pressbox complete with luxury suites and heated seats for all home fans at Dinwiddie.

Suprisingly he did not request the field or stadium be put in his name. He did mandate we change our fan base name from Navy Nation to Donald Nation and required the pressbox and suites be called Trump Towers #2.

We have to vote on it on Thursday after he meets the new recruits.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
This has been one of the best post reads in a long time. The sad part in it at all is some people actually believed these things happen. Bless their hearts!

They dont? Guys please enlighten Salemgal. I cant speak for Salem, but Coach Mills isnt the only reason we have become a force in 4a.

Our syndicate led by DP has some deep pockets. We have tried to purchase Mikes contract from Salem, but Coach Mags wants three five star players for him. Besides, Mike has a no trade clause and will not leave his red haired green eyed young lady.

Green eyed? I'm blue eyes is he cheating on me!! I guess we beat y'all to it on the turf and luxury boxes.

They dont? Guys please enlighten Salemgal. I cant speak for Salem, but Coach Mills isnt the only reason we have become a force in 4a.

Our syndicate led by DP has some deep pockets. We have tried to purchase Mikes contract from Salem, but Coach Mags wants three five star players for him. Besides, Mike has a no trade clause and will not leave his red haired green eyed young lady.

Mike is able to work behind the scenes like no other getting things done with a keen eye for recruits and the ladies, all while shaking hands with alumni and unnamed donors.

Mike is able to work behind the scenes like no other getting things done with a keen eye for recruits and the ladies, all while shaking hands with alumni and unnamed donors.

Based on what Salemgal said he keeps an eyes on a lot Free! Maybe this juicy domestic scandal may be good after all.

DP, call the press. Headline "Shots fired, "Head Recruiter at Salem High School caught by girlfriend, Salemgal cruising Main Street with redhead. Police Department verifies the victim fled the scene via scooter with two wheels flat and a smile on his face.

Based on what Salemgal said he keeps an eyes on a lot Free! Maybe this juicy domestic scandal may be good after all.

DP, call the press. Headline "Shots fired, "Head Recruiter at Salem High School caught by girlfriend, Salemgal cruising Main Street with redhead. Police Department verifies the victim fled the scene via scooter with two wheels flat and a smile on his face.
I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of the claims made heretofore. The only thing I can confirm is the smile on my face.

I see you gals and guys had a blast after I went to sleep. Sorry I missed playing along. But it was fun to wake up and catch up on.

Navy, consider your request fulfilled.
I can neither confirm nor deny the veracity of the claims made heretofore. The only thing I can confirm is the smile on my face.

New name, from Mike Salem to "Lying Mike"!

You know to this day I hear people say that Salem gets parents jobs and recruits every year. They say they know first hand that this happens. But when you question them on this you quickly realize they have heard it third hand from some guy that supports another school. I guess if you tell a lie often enough people will believe it. Perfect example of how propaganda works.

Reactions: gwb16
It may actually be better described as a defensive struggle, but Salem topped Pulaski County 6-3 in 1987. I think it was in OT, but I'm not certain. For most of the game, Pulaski moved the ball better than Salem. There must have been some turnovers by both teams, but my memory is hazy. That victory was Salem's second in a row over Pulaski and secured a second straight Roanoke Valley District championship, which saved what was otherwise a bit of a letdown year after the phenomenal run to the state championship game in 1986.

Actually the ugliest game was at Richland's when Salem speed advantage was negated by a ridiculous field and 3/4 in cleats. Terrible conditions and cheating---thats pretty ugly.

Reactions: salemfan32
It may actually be better described as a defensive struggle, but Salem topped Pulaski County 6-3 in 1987. I think it was in OT, but I'm not certain. For most of the game, Pulaski moved the ball better than Salem. There must have been some turnovers by both teams, but my memory is hazy. That victory was Salem's second in a row over Pulaski and secured a second straight Roanoke Valley District championship, which saved what was otherwise a bit of a letdown year after the phenomenal run to the state championship game in 1986.

That game did indeed go to overtime. Pulaski County outgained Salem 182-127 that night, but I think turned it over in the red zone a couple of times. Future Glenvar, North Cross and William Fleming coach Lee Johnson tied it in the last minute of regulation with a 30-yard field goal, then won it in OT with a 32-yarder. PC's kicker, usually a good one, missed three attempts in the game. According to the article that I have on the game from the Roanoke paper, Salem's Marshall Samuelson was 2 for 21 passing the ball, with one interception. IIRC, Samuelson was filling in for Timmy Smith, who missed a few games for disciplinary reasons. As you say, it was a classic defensive struggle.

Just prior to the beginning of the season, PC tailback Dion Hendricks had told the Roanoke Times, "I guarantee we'll beat Salem." Didn't quite work out that way. After the Spartans beat the Cougars for the second time in a row in '87, animosity between the two opposing fan bases escalated, and the series took a two-year hiatus - the only two seasons in which Salem and Pulaski County haven't played each other.

I remember as I was walking back to my car after that '87 game, some woman from Pulaski County, who was driving slowly by, saw my Salem hat and seat cushion and started letting me have it. Ah.....good times. I'll expect better behavior from DP and Navy, if the Spartans are fortunate enough to prevail this September.

That game did indeed go to overtime. Pulaski County outgained Salem 182-127 that night, but I think turned it over in the red zone a couple of times. Future Glenvar, North Cross and William Fleming coach Lee Johnson tied it in the last minute of regulation with a 30-yard field goal, then won it in OT with a 32-yarder. PC's kicker, usually a good one, missed three attempts in the game. According to the article that I have on the game from the Roanoke paper, Salem's Marshall Samuelson was 2 for 21 passing the ball, with one interception. IIRC, Samuelson was filling in for Timmy Smith, who missed a few games for disciplinary reasons. As you say, it was a classic defensive struggle.

Just prior to the beginning of the season, PC tailback Dion Hendricks had told the Roanoke Times, "I guarantee we'll beat Salem." Didn't quite work out that way. After the Spartans beat the Cougars for the second time in a row in '87, animosity between the two opposing fan bases escalated, and the series took a two-year hiatus - the only two seasons in which Salem and Pulaski County haven't played each other.

I remember as I was walking back to my car after that '87 game, some woman from Pulaski County, who was driving slowly by, saw my Salem hat and seat cushion and started letting me have it. Ah.....good times. I'll expect better behavior from DP and Navy, if the Spartans are fortunate enough to prevail this September.
That's a big if but I think you are right about DP. I wouldn't be so sure about BN. He looked dejected after the championship game in December and he wouldn't even accept my offer of the hat from my head! (He's going to kill me in September)

Yeah, it kills me to lose, on the inside. I just try to never let it show. Now Navy, that's another story. He remains considerate and polite, "in public". But in private his disappointment shows itself. But, I like to think that we both never try to make excuses. We just deal with it and move on. We share a similar philosophy. "You don't like losing?" Then figure out what you need to do so you don't. And I'm speaking about everything in life, not just football.

I will keep my feelings on losing simple by quoting one of my heroes on and off the field.

"If wanting to win is a fault, as some of my ctitics seem to insist, then I must plead guilty. I like to win. I know no other way
Its in my blood".

Bear Bryant

Sure, I was dejected after the loss to Salem last year, but I had no ill will towards anyone, nor did I attempt to make excuses. Hell I didnt play the game. I hurt the most for our quarterback Bryce Witt. Its kind of like a pitcher who throws a no hitter and loses on an error. I was very proud of our effort. It took a team to play penalty free ball and a quarterback who played like a man possesed to take us out. Kudos to the Saprtans.

The fun part of this is we get to do it over again very soon. I can promise you this for a fact. Win or lose we will be extremley prepared for battle and its going to take another stellar effort from the Spartans to beat Coach Mills twice in a row.

If Salem wins, I will grit my teeth and drive home pissed, but if we can beat them at home you will only see modesty and honesty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT