ADVERTISEMENT

Umpire Dead Ball

Apr 21, 2009
Yesterday there were runners on second and third with no outs. The batter hit a hard ground ball that struck the field umpire in the leg. Both runners advanced and the batter reached first base safely. The home plate umpire then came out and said "if the ball hits an umpire behind the pitchers mound, the ball is dead and runners have to go back to their previous base." I have never heard this rule and it makes zero sense to me, any explanations? Thanks!

In VHSL softball,if the batted ball hits an umpire before being touched by a fielder and before passing any fielder other than the pithcer,it is a dead ball.

Originally posted by highlander2013:
Yesterday there were runners on second and third with no outs. The batter hit a hard ground ball that struck the field umpire in the leg. Both runners advanced and the batter reached first base safely. The home plate umpire then came out and said "if the ball hits an umpire behind the pitchers mound, the ball is dead and runners have to go back to their previous base." I have never heard this rule and it makes zero sense to me, any explanations? Thanks!

That is the correct call.

The batter-runner gets first base. Any runners who are forced advance as well. Your runners on second and third do NOT advance.

Originally posted by chammond55:
....which shouldn't ever happen if umpires are in correct position outside of the fielders

Totally wrong.

With runners on base, the correct postion for the base umpire is in the B or C position, depending on what bases are occuppied.

For example, with a runner in 1st, the BU will be inside the baseline behind the pitcher to the first base side. With a runner on 2nd, he will be in the same position to the 3rd base side.

The reply was towards the person speaking of VSHL softball in which the A position is down the right field line, B being off the left shoulder of the second baseman, C being off the right shoulder of the shortstop, and E position being down the left field line in a 3-man system.

Thanks.

My message was quoted straight from the NFHS rule book. They did not reference how many umpires were being used.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT