ADVERTISEMENT

Unpopular Take

knightfan64

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 11, 2007
this is probably the unpopular opinion, but I’m interested to get a little pre-Thanksgiving chatter started. I missed the old East vs West model we got for 6 years compared to the regionalized model. I know it makes absolutely no sense to go back especially financially for non-revenue sports, but hear me out. How many rematches (HR6 I know you’ll back me up!) or intra district matchups did we have the last two years with new regional method. I enjoyed the East/West model for the ability, as a fan, to go new places, play in different environments etc. In the 6 years of that model, my Knights got to travel to King William, Gate City, and Richlands. Schools, we, likely, will never again play in football, but gosh the atmospheres and excitement for both kids and fans a like... like most Buckingham people I hated the GC trip, but as a competitor you love that environment. Stupid selfish excuse I know. The other argument I have to offer is this...look to the DIII playoff model. They get so concerned about travel costs (NCAA covers travel and has to pay for a plane if it’s over 500 miles) that they only match teams up locally. This year the #2 and #7 teams in country played in the first round! A few years ago in a 4 team pod you had 1&2 being out in the northwest and 3&4 being in VA and TN. What did NCAA do? Why pay for 2 flights? 3&4 played in round 1 to go to the winner of 1&2. I know the possibility of top teams playing each other prior to title game always exists but the wider you cast the net the less likely it happens. Was reading today where WC is in their regional title game second year in a row....well they have had a bye round one each year, then a home game vs Central lunenburg in round 2 each year (a team they defeated earlier in each season) to then travel to Riverheads for title game....how much was truly accomplished and don’t tell me in 1A or 2A you wouldn’t want another battle of teams that rarely play!

Not unpopular opinion especially by AD's like myself. The problem is the VHSL operated at a deficit for those 6 years and the principals complained about the long trips and missed class and seat time for the student athletes. The current VHSL leadership is using that as a way to keep the A vs. B format for the foreseeable future. At the end of the day the AD's can only inform the principals how we feel, but the principals have the final vote. They only care about money and attendance because their jobs are on the line.

This is probably a horrible thing to say but in response to that lost seat time complaint, I think a lot of people in education forget that the begin all and end all for students isn’t always going to be SOL scores and stuff like that. Everyone only gets one high school experience and, to me, you rob your athletes a bit by limiting their experience and I believe that is the case in all sports, not just football. I alluded to some swva teams in terms of atmosphere and environment and I have seen a lot of what they do from a distance and I think they have the right idea when it comes to supporting not just football but athletics as a whole.

As for that 14 Glenvar/Giles game I remember seeing score updates and wonder what the heck happened! Lol

If nothing else, I would love to see them alternate the semifinals every year. A vs B and C vs D, one year, then, A vs C and B vs D and so on. They did that in the past. Imagine some of the possibilities this year for the semifinals. Goochland or Poquoson vs Appomattox or Radford. East Rock or Central vs Richlands or Graham? Would setup some great games and could potentially put 2 teams that would normally have to play each other in the semis under the current format, getting to play each other in the state championship.

Reactions: AntGZee
If nothing else, I would love to see them alternate the semifinals every year. A vs B and C vs D, one year, then, A vs C and B vs D and so on. They did that in the past. Imagine some of the possibilities this year for the semifinals. Goochland or Poquoson vs Appomattox or Radford. East Rock or Central vs Richlands or Graham? Would setup some great games and could potentially put 2 teams that would normally have to play each other in the semis under the current format, getting to play each other in the state championship.
The bigger schools pushed for it and the smaller schools were against it because of travel. The three options we were given:

I: A vs B and C vs D always which is what has made the VHSL $ and new executive director Haun is in favor of

II: year one A vs B, C vs D. Year 2 A vs C, B vs D. Year 3 back to A vs B, C vs D. They say A vs D is too far of a travel problem so it should be skipped.

III: Go through all rotations over a three year period like the old days which ADs support, but VHSL and Principals aren’t in favor of. The problem according to VHSL is sports like volleyball and field hockey where they play state games during the week.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Is it written in stone that every sport must follow the same format?

What that guy just said. It would add complexity to the AD’s job but then again it is understood by most that football drives most schools sports budget. Nothing says you can’t make it work for all
the sports by using some common sense.

Reactions: moto138
Is it written in stone that every sport must follow the same format?
So there have been tweaks like the Spring jubilee Will now have cross bracketing because all the teams will be at one neutral site. But it’s the quarterfinals that are travel nightmares. The one they kept using is how one team would have had to travel 8 hours for a game.

I think it can be amended but right now the vhsl is driven by the mighty dollar. A vs B generates money.

I liked that cross brackets.
Like said, it gave you a chance to play someone new.

Loved the 16 team bracket. Very little matchups were repeat games of regular season. This year in 2B 3 of the 4 games were rematches. Vhsl loves the A/B C/D match up in semis but in the very least it should rotate.

I believe another aspect of this that can be an issue with travel is VA is a BIG state, 6 hours across. Alot of these kids parents simply do not have the resources to make that kind of trip. It's unfortunate but true. Fifty to Sixty dollars in gas as well as a $60 to $100 over night hotel stay.

Reactions: moto138
I believe another aspect of this that can be an issue with travel is VA is a BIG state, 6 hours across. Alot of these kids parents simply do not have the resources to make that kind of trip. It's unfortunate but true. Fifty to Sixty dollars in gas as well as a $60 to $100 over night hotel stay.
Lee High to Poquoson (the farthest east vs west) would be 7 hours in a car. That’s just too far for a semi or quarter or first round matchup. I liked the old system, but I understand why they made the decision to go back to the old way to save the schools money.

The bigger schools pushed for it and the smaller schools were against it because of travel. The three options we were given:

I: A vs B and C vs D always which is what has made the VHSL $ and new executive director Haun is in favor of

II: year one A vs B, C vs D. Year 2 A vs C, B vs D. Year 3 back to A vs B, C vs D. They say A vs D is too far of a travel problem so it should be skipped.

III: Go through all rotations over a three year period like the old days which ADs support, but VHSL and Principals aren’t in favor of. The problem according to VHSL is sports like volleyball and field hockey where they play state games during the week.

If there were ever an option to cycle through the state semifinal matchups, then it would make sense for consistency to do a true rotation. And not just stop at A vs. C.

But then again, the VHSL has never been a beacon of consistency so I'm not shocked at all.

Without reading all again to see if it has been said already- The bottom line on why the Virginia high school league was running in the red (and wanted change) is because they lost the state quarterfinals games in all the other sports. That cost them a ton of money with six classifications In the old East/West model.

Without reading all again to see if it has been said already- The bottom line on why the Virginia high school league was running in the red (and wanted change) is because they lost the state quarterfinals games in all the other sports. That cost them a ton of money with six classifications In the old East/West model.
Still played the same amount of games didn’t they

Still played the same amount of games didn’t they
Yes. Same amount of games but the old state qtrs actually became Region finals in old east/west (2 regions) system. Now the Vhsl gets back that round of games because they have 4 regions again. State qtrs has the champion and runner up playing other region. (A-B. C-D) model. Just think about how much money was lost @ $10 a pop for all those games across the state in 6 classes. Vhsl gets that all back now and miraculously they operate in the black once again. Pretty simple reason why the VHSL wanted to flip back as well.

Atleast in basketball they still got the 8 team money....your regional semis and championships basically were pointless and they did east 1 vs west 4 and so on

I’m still lost doesn’t vhsl get all gates from all playoff games
No —They get the entire gate from only state playoff games and at $10 it is significant amount. They get a % from regional games (Region sets prices and can distribute back to region schools however they decide) once the region does what thy do. That’s why it was important for the VHSL to get that round of games back. Big coin difference for VHSL

Go back to old way. Its good to play new opponents. Also it's educational in that student athletes get to travel to other parts of the state. Playing any team 2 times in a season sucks and should be avoided except if both teams make it to State championship game. I'll always remember 2011 when gretna played Tazewell. Giles. Riverheads, Amelia and Goochland in playoffs.

Go back to old way. Its good to play new opponents. Also it's educational in that student athletes get to travel to other parts of the state. Playing any team 2 times in a season sucks and should be avoided except if both teams make it to State championship game. I'll always remember 2011 when gretna played Tazewell. Giles. Riverheads, Amelia and Goochland in playoffs.
Not Tazewell but John Battle

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT