ADVERTISEMENT

Upsets???? Round # 3 Playoffs

Which Team is a threat to UPSET their oppenent based on the below CalPreps.com Projection?

• C5: Maury vs. Woodside 7:00pm [projection: Maury 41-7]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C6: Western Branch at Smith 7:00pm [projection: Smith 42-12]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
Since last week's thread was so enjoyable to see the open debates about various Class teams, I am posting the similar list but with also Class 5 & 6 for this week. CalPreps.com dropped their computer projections for the Regional Finals. All games are hosted by the higher seed in the below list.

I chose the West Potomac vs South County game: For me, after watching the Wolverines win vs S. Co pretty handily in their previous battle is enough. I suspect there's a reason WP lost those games in a row that has been rectified. AND South County definitely is not the same team from Spring 21 Season!

Reactions: CavsGrad
I chose the West Potomac vs South County game: For me, after watching the Wolverines win vs S. Co pretty handily in their previous battle is enough. I suspect there's a reason WP lost those games in a row that has been rectified. AND South County definitely is not the same team from Spring 21 Season!
I got in 5A region A kempsville over GR they played a close game first time a around and kempsville has gotten better over the season and I also think they are gonna use that run game to slow GR and if they get that lead then trust they run run run.

One of the best games of this Fall in the Beach FB season. I expect another one Friday night. The Chief's run game could take them to the State Game @ ODU. I am kinda cheering for them. I'm a fan of the grind it out, wear them down run game. I think it can work particularly well vs a team like Green Run.

(I start EVERY Smith game wishing they'd just run their tight/heavy formation for a whole game!)

Reactions: Agibbs757
One of the best games of this Fall in the Beach FB season. I expect another one Friday night. The Chief's run game could take them to the State Game @ ODU. I am kinda cheering for them. I'm a fan of the grind it out, wear them down run game. I think it can work particularly well vs a team like Green Run.

(I start EVERY Smith game wishing they'd just run their tight/heavy formation for a whole game!)
Yeah it could only thing I question is this the year the beach shows up against other districts or now other regions schools because since that last good OL which really was a how good be Manchester blasted them in the states. Even though we on have small samples but beach schools have definitely not faired well lately.

For curiosity's sake, I checked out Massey Rating's projections. I have those below.

Kempsville at Green Run - (Green Run 35 Kempsville 19)

Hermitage at Highland Springs - (Highland Springs 34 Hermitage 12)

Maury at Woodside - (Maury 38 Woodside 7)

Mountain View at Stone Bridge - (Stone Bridge 42 Mountain View 14)

Western Branch at Oscar Smith - (Oscar Smith 42 Western Branch 7)

Freedom at Battlefield - (Freedom 42 Battlefield 26)

Centreville at Madison - (Madison 28 Centreville 14)

West Potomac at South County - (South County 39 West Potomac 14)

Does Massey Ratings post their accuracy %?.....I think CalPreps.com has about an 85.% accuracy rate for VHSL games, but it went down to 74.5% last week.

I Found the Massey Ratings website. They provide the following UPDATED predictions:

Class 5
Kempsville 20
Green Run 34 (78% Chance of Winning)

Hermitage 14
Highland Springs 35 ( 93% COW)

Woodside 7
Maury 40 (99% COW)

Mountain View 16
Stone Bridge 42 (92% COW)

Class 6
Western Branch 7
Oscar Smith 41 (99% COW)

Battlefield 21
Freedom 41 (81% COW)

West Potomac 14
South County 36 (91%COW)

Centreville 14
Madison 25 (80%COW)

No upsets tonight.. Tomorrow's games should prove to be more exciting

Kempsville lead most of the night only to lose in the final minutes of the game. Another close game.. It is the first Regional Title for Green Run & they meet Maury... Kempsville finished 9-2 after a HUGE turn around for their school!

Reactions: gwb16
The biggest group selected the upset AGAIN!!!

Battlefield brought the heat & ran the ball effectively.. very similar to how Gar-field beat them..

The biggest group selected the upset AGAIN!!!

Battlefield brought the heat & ran the ball effectively.. very similar to how Gar-field beat them..
I don't really think this is an upset. Unexpected based on Freedom's high octane offense, which led to Freedom being a favorite, but you know what they say...defense wins championships. And it was 7-7 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. BF started clicking late and got a pick 6 very late to make it look worse than it really was. But next week vs OS will require another level of defense if BF wants a chance.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I don't really think this is an upset. Unexpected based on Freedom's high octane offense, which led to Freedom being a favorite, but you know what they say...defense wins championships. And it was 7-7 late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. BF started clicking late and got a pick 6 very late to make it look worse than it really was. But next week vs OS will require another level of defense if BF wants a chance.
I was at the game as an outsider because I was looking for a good game to go to. I will say that I don't think Battlefield will be able to hang with Oscar Smith's big play ability. I watched Oscar Smith beat Massaponax in the Spring and they can turn your lights out quick with their ability to get their athletes out in space.

Battlefield's quarterback will also have to be on his A Game next weekend as well.

However, the highlight for me was Battlefield entering the field to Renegade by Styx. Great song and a very unique choice!

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
For Battlefield, their defense vs Freedom looked great.. They did the same things that Gar-field did to the Eagles.. But they seem a bit inconsistent with allowing 41 points vs Patriot late in the season.

I like our chances on Saturday..

For Battlefield, their defense vs Freedom looked great.. They did the same things that Gar-field did to the Eagles.. But they seem a bit inconsistent with allowing 41 points vs Patriot late in the season.

I like our chances on Saturday..
You are correct about Battlefield's defense. I could see Battlefield trying to play ball control while Oscar Smith trucks them with big plays.

Also, Hatfield was unable to win the big one in Class 4 with Eastern View with all of his talent and he never faced anything remotely close to an Oscar Smith program I saw in the state semifinals in the Spring.

I was at the game as an outsider because I was looking for a good game to go to. I will say that I don't think Battlefield will be able to hang with Oscar Smith's big play ability. I watched Oscar Smith beat Massaponax in the Spring and they can turn your lights out quick with their ability to get their athletes out in space.

Battlefield's quarterback will also have to be on his A Game next weekend as well.

However, the highlight for me was Battlefield entering the field to Renegade by Styx. Great song and a very unique choice!
Was at this game as well. Freedom had a couple of chances in the red zone in the 1st half but came away with nothing. Freedom was definitely the better team in the first half. Battlefield turned it around in the 2cnd half moving the ball well on the ground. I had that feeling though that Freedom could score at any moment with all that speed. Credit to Battlefield in a tough, well earned win. Unfortunately I can't see them keeping up with Oscar Smith.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT