ADVERTISEMENT

UVA fans...

I got home last night around 10 ready to watch our great state's #1 team (just on the cover of SI) start their run to glory. Finally a big time chance for Virginia-

The UVA loss by 20 points to a #16 team known as UMBC who most Americans have no idea what that even stands for is.....

a humiliation, a degradation, an abomination, and just a disgusting embarrassment to our great state.

Is that going overboard a tad bit haha....still...

The entire coaching staff at UVA should donate half of their salary this year to charity...any coach of a 6-8 year old YMCA team in the country could have done that performance last night. Heck, someone off the street....

It would have been better to not have even made the NCAA Tourney than that pathetic show -

Granted UMBC did shoot lights out and I like Coach Odom - nice guy!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I knew UVA was insanely overrated. Good defensive team but you gotta have horses who can score the ball. All us VCU fans are sick to our stomachs. #10, Jairus Lyles, was apart of the 2013 recruiting class out of DeMatha. He left because we went out and got Johnny Williams for the 2014 recruiting class. I could absolutely cry because JW was probably the worst PG VCU has had in recent memory. I don’t believe University of Maryland Baltimore County’s run is over. Those guys are well coached and fearless. This game wasn’t a fluke...They put the beat down on the WaHypeHoos!!!!

I got home last night around 10 ready to watch our great state's #1 team (just on the cover of SI) start their run to glory. Finally a big time chance for Virginia-

The UVA loss by 20 points to a #16 team known as UMBC who most Americans have no idea what that even stands for is.....

a humiliation, a degradation, an abomination, and just a disgusting embarrassment to our great state.

The entire coaching staff at UVA should donate half of their salary this year to charity...any coach of a 6-8 year old YMCA team in the country could have done that performance last night. Heck, someone off the street....

It would have been better to not have even made the NCAA Tourney than that pathetic show -

Because it’s UVA, all will be said is Tony Bennett’s postgame press conference was classy (I mean he got his tail handed to him, what else was he supposed to say). Radford is the best team in VA this year. Only team with a NCAA win! Go Highlanders!

Reactions: uvacavs1
I am a UVA fan. What a joke though. We lost to a team with a 5-8 140lb p

I don’t think you are going overboard at all. That was the most embarrassing moment in sports. Even bigger than the uva football bowl game this year.

UVA May have the worst recruiting class in its programs history coming in 2018 for basketball. Not one top 300 player. No one wants to play in that offense. Our own best players in the state don’t even consider UVA

Maybe so. I think Bennett needs to change his tactics. Hire some tutors, get some hookers, pay some players. Forget the smsrt kids. Rick Pitino is looking for a job. He would make a great recruiter:D

UVA went 31-3. Bennett doesn't need to change anything. He just needs a little luck. Losing Hunter, and not having any time to adjust killed them

UVA lost by 20pts. The problem is Tony is a great coach but half the team is just an “Allen wrench” with only one function. Time to try to land some real ball players. The entire offense is run around for 25 seconds and hope we make a long jumper. No matter what should that team have been able to beat UVA PERIOD. They absolutely need to change something at this point

The problem was the injury to Hunter and it's timing. UVa lost a lot when they lost Hunter but equally important was the timing of the loss. UVA had two practices and no games to get used to playing without Hunter. As to next year the starting lineup will probably be 6 5 Jerome at point, 6-2 Kyle Guy at shooting guard,. 6 8 De Andre Hunter at big guard, .6 9 mamadi Diakate at power forward, 6 10 Jack Salt at Center,. First post sub 7 1 Huff , first perimeter sub 6 4 Anthony. There's nothing wrong with Virginia (31-3) that staying healthy going into the tournament won't fix

I don't think that some of the defenders of Virginia's humiliating loss understand the gravity of the situation. (Losing Hunter may have hurt against a Villanova or Duke but not some college 95% of America had never even heard of before.)

This one shockingly humiliating loss (one could argue one of the most embarrassing in Sports history, not just in college basketball) will never go away.

It will follow Bennett and Virginia for as long as there is college basketball. Imagine they will talk about this for the next 40 years every March Madness or any time failure is discussed.

I've heard ladies who do not even follow any sports say how embarrassing this is.... Sad.

Obviously, this team is not made for March tournament play.

I don't think that some of the defenders of Virginia's humiliating loss understand the gravity of the situation. (Losing Hunter may have hurt against a Villanova or Duke but not some college 95% of America had never even heard of before.)

This one shockingly humiliating loss (one could argue one of the most embarrassing in Sports history, not just in college basketball) will never go away.

It will follow Bennett and Virginia for as long as there is college basketball. Imagine they will talk about this for the next 40 years every March Madness or any time failure is discussed.

I've heard ladies who do not even follow any sports say how embarrassing this is.... Sad.

Obviously, this team is not made for March tournament play.

It’s indefensible... blown out by a school that’s only had 1 power 5 conference win (Nebraska) in its history... last year 39 points of offense in a collegiate game against FL. They need a non back to the basket big that can really ball. This years recruiting class is aweful too. Nobody wants to play for gene hackman and the “Hoosiers” 4 passes before you shoot offense

It’s indefensible... blown out by a school that’s only had 1 power 5 conference win (Nebraska) in its history... last year 39 points of offense in a collegiate game against FL. They need a non back to the basket big that can really ball. This years recruiting class is aweful too. Nobody wants to play for gene hackman and the “Hoosiers” 4 passes before you shoot offense
You don't know what the hell your talking about. Virginia the last five years has a better record than Duke and NC. It is stupid ass fans like you that need to find another school to root for. VIRGINIA DOESN'T NEED YOU AND DOESN'T WANT YOU . GO WATCH RERUNS OF NBA All Star Games.
Jim Boheim Syracuse
” … If I could hire a coach in this country and I could get Tony Bennett, there would be nobody in second place. Nobody. He’s kicked our ass every time we’ve played him except we got lucky once.”

Reactions: 7time
Bennett's tactics are frustrating yes...and I don't think anyone will take UVA seriously until they make a Final Four. Heck, they can go undefeated next year in the regular season and no one would trust them...but look at the big picture here. Syracuse, a team UVA beat twice, just beat Michigan State. UNC lost to Texas A&M...like what? Remember the year Duke was a 2 seed and lost to Lehigh and CJ? Yeah...everyone does. They didn't go anywhere. They won a title three years ago. Michigan State lost to Middle Tennessee two years ago. Bad nights happen. A re-structure of the offensive scheme may be in order...but the best regular season team in the country this year is returning an All-ACC first and third team pick along with the 6th man of the year. They won't ever be believed in...but the Hoos will be just fine.

Last edited:
Hey Hoos @anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b, our VCU Rams had the same amount of NCAA wins as the Chokies and WaBooHoos did this year. LOL!!!!!!!
Haha, frankly I'm not even that surprised that my Hoos lost. I already wasn't feeling good about going on a run without Hunter, and UMBC exposed literally all of our weaknesses. We looked like we hadn't played basketball before, and the horrible shooting by Guy and Jerome was the nail in the coffin. They really needed a post presence, and it caught up to them. I cringed watching the Hoos try to press when they probably hadn't practiced it all year, lol. They looked so awkward.

You don't know what the hell your talking about. Virginia the last five years has a better record than Duke and NC. It is stupid ass fans like you that need to find another school to root for. VIRGINIA DOESN'T NEED YOU AND DOESN'T WANT YOU . GO WATCH RERUNS OF NBA All Star Games.
Jim Boheim Syracuse
” … If I could hire a coach in this country and I could get Tony Bennett, there would be nobody in second place. Nobody. He’s kicked our ass every time we’ve played him except we got lucky once.”

Damn you getting real bold with these comments. Thats dissapointing

What is not accurate about what I just said?

Please miss me with the personal insults.

Bennett's tactics are frustrating yes...and I don't think anyone will take UVA seriously until they make a Final Four. Heck, they can go undefeated next year in the regular season and no one would trust them...but look at the big picture here. Syracuse, a team UVA beat twice, just beat Michigan State. UNC lost to Texas A&M...like what? Remember the year Duke was a 2 seed and lost to Lehigh and CJ? Yeah...everyone does. They didn't go anywhere. They won a title three years ago. Michigan State lost to Middle Tennessee two years ago. Bad nights happen. A re-structure of the offensive scheme may be in order...but the best regular season team in the country this year is returning an All-ACC first and third team pick along with the 6th man of the year. They won't ever be believed in...but the Hoos will be just fine.

They just need to add a new piece and make a slight adjustment. That is all I am saying.. Agree Bennet is a good coach and the program is on solid ground but it doesn't mean a few tweaks aren't in order.

The HOOS will be fine, defense wins championships so far the Hoos have had a lot of misfortune injury wise the years we expect to ascend past where we have been, it started with justin Anderson and his hand and continued this year with De’Andre Hunters broken wrist. Bennett is a class act, and for this team to move from unranked to the #1 team in the country, winning the ACC by a wide margin (17 most wins in conference play ever) and capped by the ACC tourney. 2/3 goals aren’t too bad, just ran into a team that shot the lights out and nearly upset Kstate last night. Many shots that fell against us didn’t last night which spells what’s going on all the upsets have come when the better team has shot piss poor from the field specifically 3 pt. The hoos are only going to get better as each year we have made more
Progress and keep chipping away to get the the final four and a ship.

Jim Boheim Syracuse
Chill out with the comments. That crap is unacceptable to make personal attacks. Mbonape is the coolest dude on here. Not cool!

Reactions: uvacavs1
The comment about Hoosiers was uncalled for and I called it like was----assholish and stupid. No team needs a fan that says things like that. If you don't like Virginia basketball don't watch. But don't come on here and make insults towards Bennett and the team and expect not to be challenged. I especially hate it when people who know nothing about the game volunteer their "expertise". Most of these back benchers would think a hard hedge has something to do with shrubbery.

The comment about Hoosiers was uncalled for and I called it like was----assholish and stupid. No team needs a fan that says things like that. If you don't like Virginia basketball don't watch. But don't come on here and make insults towards Bennett and the team and expect not to be challenged. I especially hate it when people who know nothing about the game volunteer their "expertise". Most of these back benchers would think a hard hedge has something to do with shrubbery.

Know nothing about the game? Are you out of your mind? I am beginning to think you have a double digit IQ. You can't even comprehend what people post half the time. I haven't missed a UVA basketball game in years. Me saying they need to change something isn't hating the program. You usually mis-comprehend everything anyways so i guess me thinking you might get it together is my mistake. There is a difference between challenging someone's opinion and spewing personal insults. Keep it about the sports for now please... If our paths ever cross in person then you can tell me how you really feel.

southbottomU, you originally made some strong, good points indeed. However, once you became emotional and resorted to name calling, you lost much of your credibility and persuasiveness.

This is a sports forum where free speech and thoughts are allowed to flow in any direction whether we agree with it or not. That is the point of folks sharing their "expertise."

If someone has a bad idea that you do not appreciate and disagree, then engage it and debate it without personal insults.

Also, most of the fans in this thread want Virginia to succeed. It is a sad and unfortunate fact that this season will always be remembered for the embarrassing debacle at the end, not the fantastic success that came before it.

Know nothing about the game? Are you out of your mind? I am beginning to think you have a double digit IQ. You can't even comprehend what people post half the time. I haven't missed a UVA basketball game in years. Me saying they need to change something isn't hating the program. You usually mis-comprehend everything anyways so i guess me thinking you might get it together is my mistake. There is a difference between challenging someone's opinion and spewing personal insults. Keep it about the sports for now please... If our paths ever cross in person then you can tell me how you really feel.
Just because you go to basketball games doesn't mean you know anything about the game. You proved that with your Hoosiers comment. All Virginia fans were disappointed at the out come of the UMBC game but a few like yourself took your disappointment and began to attack Bennett and the program. Asses all. It's fans like you that Virginia can do without. The only miscomprehending going on is you, thinking that you know anything about basketball. I'm mad I'm seething mad, and I'm mad at fans like you that say stupid bull s--t about the program. You don't deserve Tony Bennett.

You said no one wants to play for Gene Hackman four passes before you shoot offense:
Malcolm Brogdon, London Perentes, Anthony Gill, Mike Toby, Justin Anderson , Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, DeAndre Hunter, Devon Hall, Isiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, Anthony Badducci, Marco Anthony, Joe Harris, and Mamadi Diakite and others called and said you need to surrender your UVA fan card

You said no one wants to play for Gene Hackman four passes before you shoot offense:
Malcolm Brogdon, London Perentes, Anthony Gill, Mike Toby, Justin Anderson , Kyle Guy, Ty Jerome, DeAndre Hunter, Devon Hall, Isiah Wilkins, Jack Salt, Jay Huff, Anthony Badducci, Marco Anthony, Joe Harris, and Mamadi Diakite and others called and said you need to surrender your UVA fan card

No actually they all agreed that it was a terrible loss and on all accords. And I was referring to the top talent in va not looking at UVA as a viable option. If you are an offensive minded player it isn’t as attractive of an offense to play in. Again with the lack of comprehension. Btw I played basketball at a high level my entire life through high school and the AAU circuit against players who are in the NBA right now. No that doesn’t make me an expert but I never claimed to be. Talking a bunch of nonsense to people you don’t really know like that is not the greatest idea. Not that you often come up with good ideas, just know that I think your soft and not incredibly bright. So just keep it moving or send me a direct message if you need further clarification. No need to keep engaging me on here it’s silly.

You don't know s--t about basketball and You especially don't know anything about me. Your assumption's are as inaccurate as your opinions on Virginia basketball

Last edited:

John Feinstein doesn't want to hear your Tony Bennett hot takes
  • Jamie Oakes - 5 hours agoports writer, author, commentator John Feinstein had seen enough from some of his counterparts in the media in reaction to UVA’s loss to UMBC in the opening round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament.

Feinstein took to Twitter to express his surprise over the narratives being spun about Virginia head coach Tony Bennett and his system.

“Tony Bennett's getting pummeled by the media after UMBC loss,” said Feinstein. "Unreal. He lost a key player and UMBC played out of their minds. As Dean Smith always said, 'the other team gives scholarships too.' Bennett's a GREAT coach--better person.
Now people say his 'system,' can't win titles.”

Feinstein added some historical perspective, including some of college basketball's legendary head coaches.

“He's been at UVA nine years. Dean Smithneeded 21 yrs to win a title at UNC; Mike Krzyzewski needed 11 at Duke; JOHN WOODENneeded 17 at UCLA — 16 to make a Final Four.

“I know UVA people are hurting now but I hope they understand how lucky they are to have Bennett.”
As the shock of what transpired on Friday slowly fades from Virginia fans’ minds, Feinstein’s last point will return to the norm. UVA knows how lucky it is to have Tony Bennett.

Three ACC regular season titles, two ACC Tournament Championships and 143 wins over the last five seasons. All five years, making the NCAA Tournament, with a trip to the Sweet 16 and the Elite Eight included.

And doing all of it with the grace and class that shine through in both victory and defeat.

Those two ACC Tournament titles are a solid sign of being able to win in March, although it's not the Big Dance. That said, winning three games in three days in arguably the best conference in the country shouldn't be discounted.

Three games against opponents that are more than familiar with everything you do, as opposed to a format with little prep time, unfamiliarity, and a day in between each of the first two rounds.

There’s no way of knowing if Bennett will ascend to cutting down the nets like Smith, Krzyzewski, or Wooden, but he’s put Virginia in the conversation to do so in each of the last five seasons.

And he’ll keep knocking.

"You keep knocking and sometimes the door gets slammed in your face and sometimes you knock and it opens an inch and try to put your foot and shoulder in there and keep knocking and trying to bust through that door,” said Bennett. “That's the mentality.”

I'm not sure why this thread created so much hostility and name calling, but its really not worth it. mbonape1 and @Southbottom I found your initial takes to be quite interesting and somewhat valid on both ends. I have no clue about you or your credentials Southbottom, but I do know Mbonape1 and he certainly knows enough about sports to offer his opinion. That being said its just opinions. I have been guilty of the same ridiculous banter myself, so I will not bash either of you for the pissing contest.

I am a Hokie fan first, but unlike many I never root against UVA unless they are playing VA Tech. The following is my take on a very overblown and disappointing rarity in sports. I am sure Russia felt the same way in 1980 when the USA beat them in hockey.

I do believe UMBC watched film and saw what had worked against UVA's defense and attacked their weaknesses. This with a ton of poor shooting and shot selection doomed UVA from the beginning. Every team has a bad shooting night, unfortunately UVA's night was worse than bad. If a team opts to reduce the shot clock to 5 seconds or less they must take the shot given or force up something. I have struggled with this philosophy myself, but as previously stated it worked all season, so I will not question Coach Bennett.

More importantly, what I saw was a team who rarely got rattled all season panic and not play with the poise they are known for. This may have something to do with coaching, but I tend to believe the on floor leadership led to this debacle. There were numerous incidents when players made mistakes threw up their hands and watched UMBC fly by for layups. I just did not see the players step up or call their teammates out. This is imperative for a team to make a championship run.

Tony Bennett is a very good coach and UVA is fortunate to have him. Anyone who is calling for his dismissal should seriously consider the alternatives. I am sure Coach Bennett and hi staff have benefitted from this loss and will strive to keep it from happening again. I agree with mbonape1 that many of the top Virginia HS players do not consider UVA due to the system/style, but does it really matter in the grand scheme of things. Bennett's system works. The guy wins and whether its at UVA or somewhere else he will win it all one day.

If my words came off as angry and pissed off that's because I am angry and pissed off. Not at the players or Coach Bennett, but at some of the Lilly livered fans who after a spectacular season started criticizing Bennett and his system. Have no patience anymore with front running fans and those who were so quick to throw Bennett under the Bus. As to my bona fides on the game of basketball, let's just say they are substantial and leave it at that

As to recruiting in Virginia everyone needs to remember that Virginia recruits on a national/international basis with players coming from California, Washington, Indiana, New York, Georgia, New Zealand, and Australia.

@Southbottom, we obviously agree Bennett is a great fit for UVA and a fine coach, so aside from the obvious of UVA just playing poorly on this given night do you think other teams will have success against Virginia's Pack Line defense by quickly attacking with dribble drives and kick outs? I will be the first to admit not many teams shoot a high percentage against UVA, but Louisville and UMBC demonstrated the Pack Line can be cracked. Not being cynical. I honestly want your opinion.

The packline was created to stop penetration and post play, forcing teams to beat you from the perimeter. Tony knows this and works the kids hard on closeouts (recovery to the shooter after the pass) Uva is exceptional at close outs. Uva this year picked up closer to half court than in the past. The packline would rather not have to help so an emphasis is given to one one defensive play. But when they do help they have to recover and close out on the shooter. The weakness of the packline is if you are constantly having to help and recover and you get put in a scramble situation. This allows for open shots and poor box out assignments. This is what happened against UMBC. Uva defenders were getting beat off the bounce, help came and they were put in scramble mode. It did not help that they made just about every shot they looked at. The solution for UVa in this situation is to go small with Hunter hoping that being quicker would eliminate the dribble drive. That's why not having Hunter was so devastating. In todays basketball it is advantageous to play small without being small (think Golden State). Another option is to remain big and go zone. This is what Syracuse and Duke have been doing. Virginia will be very big next year, I am sure that there will be quite a few discussions in Coach Bennett s office about putting in a zone. However, it kind of goes against his nature and he feels its giving in to the opposition. He wants to bend the opposition to the Hoos defensive will and he doesn't think you can do it in a zone. Offensively Virginia just needs an inside game to go with their perimeter excellence. Diakite is coming around quickly and Huff could be devastating on offense (he has been slow picking up on defense, thus little or no playing time. He is another argument to occasionally play zone. Huff is 7 1 with excellent ball skills and shooting ability). Bennett worries that if the spend time on the zone that they will not be as good in man--a legitimate concern. If I've been rough n my messages I thoughy it was justified. Can't stand ignorant basketball fans saying ignorant things about the program just because they got their feelings hurt because UVA lost. Suck it up. Support them or go find another school to support. Uva is lucky to have Bennett and his system.

Reactions: rainman17
The other part of the packline that I failed to mention is the hard hedge on the post to guard pick. This requires the post redirect the dribbler and then recover to his man. Often he needs temporary help on his man as he recovers. This is what kept Huff out of playing time this year. It takes great communication from everyone to do this well. Uva will also double the low post if they feel that the opposing player is a threat. This also takes great timing, communication, and recovery skills. This was not the problem against UMBC. They had two quick guards that broke Down the defense and put us in scramble mode. Not having Hunter lmited our response.

Southbottom, I dont necessarily understand all basketball lingo, but you made it easy to understand. Very informative!

I think I understand why UVA works the clock (balanced approach, pace, and we will keep you from scoring), but with their offensive approach and normally sound shooters would it not be more advantageous to put up shots (good looks) earlier in the clock than force contested ones as the time clock expires. Its really hard to figure this plan out.

Based on my observations I believe UVA needs to find someone like Perentes to run the point. They surely miss his command, energy and slashing/penetrating ability. Jerome is sound, but just doesnt seem to have the leadership perentes has.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT