ADVERTISEMENT

UVA fans...

Jerome was a sophomore and the leadership fell into the hands of two seniors Hall and Wilkins. Jerome did however make a number of big shots during the season ( at Duke ). He can really score as was evident in the BC game when he got 31.
Virginia runs a mover blocker offense that allows the wings to read the defense as they come off screens by the bigs. You really have to be a smart offensive player to do this. Very very seldom do you see Virginia isolate on the perimeter and go one on one unless the shot clock is about to expire. Virginia basically plays a three guard lineup that allows any of the three to run point. Perentes last year and Jerome this year would often move to wing and come off screens. Jerome was especially adept at the curl move into the lane where he could use his 6 5 frame to finish.
This offense can incorporate an inside post up game if we have the personnel to do that. This year Diakite at the end of the year was beginning to show this ability. Salt is not very good on the block but does all the little things that makes the team successful. Huff has the X factor. He is 7 1 225 and has great ball skills and shooting touch. He needs another 25 pounds of good weight and has to improve his strong hedge and recover technique. Virginias lack of a consistent inside game finally caught up with them . When teams are not hitting their perimeter shots they need to drive and or throw it to the bigs on the block where they can score, get fouled, or throw it out to the perimeter for a much easier shot. This is what's been missing for Virginia the last two years.
Virginia is not purposefully running the shot clock down (unless they are in the lead late). They are searching for a good shot. But what they usually don't do is throw it to the wng and go one on one and throw up a tough contested shot. In short, they went 31-3 against some of the toughest competition in America and did so without a consistent inside threat. That could change next year.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Virginias shot selection is also predicated on protecting their defense from having to deal with transition offense from their opponent. Kids grow up playing basketball in Aau where defense is an afterthought and offense is almost all in transition. Players, especially young players struggle when they are forced to play against a set defense.Virginias insistence on taking a good shot in a half court set allows their defense to get back and set. Teams are forced into a half court game where many are uncomfortable and Virginias not. Virginias kryptonite is when the other team is repeatedly breaking the Hoos down off the dribble. That and when Virginia shoots poorly from the perimeter.

I agree totally with your synopsis of the UVA offense, however, it does appear that they often pass up good shots early in the clock. It may be just a perception, but the announcers frequently bring this up when analyzing UVA.

I don"t know enough to debate their scheme and it obviously works. my Va Techs helter skelter, turnover friendly style drives me nuts, so I appreciate the discipline UVA usually displays.

The State of Virginia is blessed with several good college coaches (Bennett, B. Williams, Jeff Jones) to name few. I just hope they all stay put.

Bennett is happy at Virginia, but there are openings he might be interested in (Wisconsin comes to mind). But if ignorant fans, who know nothing about the game except what they might have picked up in some high school gym go apoplectic and begin criticizing the program, then maybe he expands his list of schools or NBA teams he would consider. Bennett is positioned perfectly at UVA for lasting success. Coach K at Duke and Coach Williams at UNC will retire soon. Coach Bennett will be the man in the acc Virginia fans need to realize what they have and stop the criticism Everytime there is a small set back. I don't have the patience for it. Hopefully you have gotten something out of these long explanations and I also hope you understand my frustrations with some who call themselves Virginia basketball fans

Yes, I did get something from your analysis. This is a perfect example of just how good this board could be if we all had sound debates and discussions.

No matter how frustrated or how much we disagree with someone on this site we all (me included) should take a deep and not make or take things personal. After all its just opinions and everyone has one.

Thanks again. Good stuff.

One and done players take three or four classes first semester (most of them are not classes that will lead to a particular degree). Then once second semester starts they're done. Playout the season and wait for the NBA draft. This does not mean that those kids are dumb. They are millionaires in waiting and they can go back to school when their NBA career is over. The problem is in the second semester they are playing against student athletes who are going to class and working towards a degree

Basketball isn't like football in recruiting, who is in your state is wholly irrelevant. Half the time the kids are from OOS anyway and are at a well known private school (Oak Hill, for example) and there just never has been or will be any pride in basketball players' eyes for staying home, that's rubbish, those kids are looking for the best fit to get them to the next level. Every program recruits nationally just about or has a very large net around their school that extends like a dozen hours in every direction. The only benefit to recruiting an in-state kid is the coaches can maybe make quicker visits or get the kid on campus easier. When your target list is a couple dozen names long as opposed to the 300-500+ football coaches may look at, that recruiting budget starts to go further.

Reactions: rainman17
2017 recruiting class team ranking: 98th
https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

2018 recruiting class team ranking: 78th
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

These are the opinion of experts who are paid to evaluate upcoming talent. UVA is an impact player away from a National Title in my opinion. They did not get it thus far.

Seems odd that a team with as much success as UVA has had is not landing top tier talent. We are not talking about 1 and done's here either. We are not landing any of the top tier true "collegiate talent"

As I said before they need a big man that can create his own offense. Diakete showed improvement in the ACC tourny and even Jack Salt to some degree but I don't think it is enough. I do believe that Jay Huff is a unicorn but I find it odd that a 7'1 center with amazing range could not contribute at all this year. Especially in the tournament game. If it takes our recruits 3 years to be good enough to hit the court they can't be the center pieces of our recruiting classes.

Tony Bennet may be the best player developer in country. More players improve drastically under his tutelage than any program I have ever seen. He does get more with what he has than any other coach in the country.

They will absolutely have a good lineup next season for sure but I worry we are not getting the cream of the crop starting talent the same as the Villanova's of the world. I think we should be, given our successes under the TB regime.

Recruiting does go in cycles and the 2016 class was good with Ty Jerome and Guy etc. I worry our window is closing for this cycle of players with out an immediate impact player in the last 2 classes. They look to be in good position for 2019's class but that may be too late for this cycle of players.

I am not as big on the graduate transfers and I don't like that being a pivotal part of our plan to land talent. IMO the way we run offense is bc that is how we need to play to be successful given the weapons we have. Tony Bennet has also echoed that sentiment several times publicly. The offense looks great when we are making the jumpers which is an amazingly high percentage of the time. However, when it is tourney time and the referees swallow their whistles and we get into a scrap... shooting doesn't travel well. Defense does but that doesn't seem to be enough for us given the recent history.

IMO UVA is an impact player away from being able to go all the way. I don't believe that person is in the 2017 or 2018 recruiting class. I guess time will tell.

@mbonape1 and @southbottomU both of you have referenced Bennett's ability to develop players. I cannot and will not debate your argument, but I believe you have both hit on something.

Hall a graduate transfer sat one year and started. Diakete red shirted and his playing time increased this season. Huff redshirted and he sat most of the season.

Based on both of your statements and research I have come to realize that Bennetts successful on court system limits his recruitment pool. Based on his accomplishments I will not say this is bad, but it surely reduces the opportunity to secure and keep mbonapes "stud player"!

In todays basketball world blue chip players will not commit themselves to the time it takes to effectively play in Bennett's system. Therefore, he recruits players who will. Some work out and some don't.

Huff may be quite talented and a "unicorn", but after two years in the program he has obviously not mastered the defense or he would have played more.

In closing, a UVA fan must decide what they want to see from the program. 1. A consistently strong and competative team who may or may not win it all or 2. A team with a more talent, consistent turnover, and the same odds to possibly win a championship. Its fairly easy for me. Trust the process.

Irrelevant to your point but Hall was a redshirt senior. Not a graduate transfer. Bennett finds diamonds in the rough and redshirts them and gets them ready to play. Three star recruits become four and five star players. He values flexibility and likes players who can play multiple positions (Hunter). Just offered a kid from NC that is a 6 8 wing . When you have Jerome, Guy, Diakite, Huff, Hunter, Salt, Badducci, and Anthony incoming recruits are not seeing obvious immediate playing time

@southbottomU I understand what you are saying and as stated tend to agree with the process.

I really did not delve into this until you guys started bebating it. I now understand why some players have transferred and others never see the court.

You seem high on Huff, but I am a bit skeptical. He obviously has the offensive tools and has put on weight, so we shall see.

Jim Boeheim Syracuse
I’ve seen coaches win games in this tournament — two, three or four games — and they’re terrible coaches. Things just went right. It’s what you do over the course of 35 games that determines what kind of coach you are.”

Post players in UVA system do not regularly play right away, many take a year or two to develop into the packline defensively. Huff will get his time and it will be special, just be patient, he has the offense but defending in the ACC is key and we aren’t running a zone to dumb down our style for an offensive fit. When we gave up 70 once this year and held multiple teams under 25/30 in a half im ok with the defensive philosophy and when the players play. UVA wasn’t big on grad transfers and probably will continue this trend as there is playable depth on the roster for years to come. Diatke is a glue guy he will do what Mitchell, Atkins, and Wilkins have done for TB, offensively he will continue to develop but never will be our run the offense through. Anthony showed a good shooting stroke in limited time this year, many people forget at the start of last season the wahoos were unranked and finished with 3 losses. We will be just fine, a justin Anderson will come again it just has to be the right fit for TB. His track record speaks for itself just ask Klay Thompson (top 3 at position) Justin Anderson (nba role player), Malcolm Brogdon (ROY 2017), Joe Harris (journeyman but still on roster), mike Scott (journeyman glue guy) and the list will continue. The HOOS are knocking on the door it will open soon enough. Wins and Losses are what turn you into bosses, to experience great sorrow sets up for a sweeter success.

Reactions: southbottomU
A fool can see that UVA's play style doesn't transcend to beat the teams they need to in tournament time. You can defend Bennett all you want. They have a hell of a team during the season and ACC tournament, but they disappear when it matters. You can as methodical as you want, the results speak for itself.

A fool can see that UVA's play style doesn't transcend to beat the teams they need to in tournament time. You can defend Bennett all you want. They have a hell of a team during the season and ACC tournament, but they disappear when it matters. You can as methodical as you want, the results speak for itself.

I don’t think the play style is what limits them, as if you put together 6 games like they had done for most of this season and shot the ball 15% better we wouldn’t be speaking about why they aren’t there this weekend but rather who they’re playing and how if they beat Kentucky they’re a lock for the final 4.

Ok Danville, answer this question. What about the game of basketball changes in the NCAA tournament? The ACC has a tournament and Virginia has won that twice. You would think that if there was a difference in the regular season and tournament play it would show up in the acc tournament. The game doesn't change. Virginia needs two things: stay healthy, and some inside play

By the way Danville, Syracuse has won three games in the NCAA tournament scoring 60, 57, 55.

Ok Danville, answer this question. What about the game of basketball changes in the NCAA tournament? The ACC has a tournament and Virginia has won that twice. You would think that if there was a difference in the regular season and tournament play it would show up in the acc tournament. The game doesn't change. Virginia needs two things: stay healthy, and some inside play
That is a good question. They beat Duke, UNC, Louisville, etc..But when it really counts, it falters.

Key injuries have really played a big part in their NCAA tournament losses. Anderson, Wilkins, and Hunter. The system didn't cause this industries. Last year was actually pretty amazing. Austin Nichols pre season first team all acc is dismissed from the team and they still have a successful season making the NCAa tournament winning the first game and then losing the next. The game doesn't change in the NCAA tournament they only need an inside game and health

It didn't count in acc tournament?
Winning the ACC Regular Season and Tournaments are big deals...But with all of the talent that you alluded to earlier, which UVA has had plenty of, the best they've done is reach the Sweet 16. While a lot of programs wish they could reach the Sweet 16, you and me both know that UVA is much better than that. I think a lot of UVA fans are just frustrated with the Hoos not maximizing their potential.

Last edited:
The reached the elite 8 and lost to Syracuse after being up 15 in the second half. The fans are frustrated, but they need to remember what got the Hoos to this level of success------Tony Bennett's system. They are close, very close

I'm a UVA fan. I'll give my 2 cents worth as to why UVA lost. I believe it was two reasons, and both involve losing Hunter. First of all, it is obvious not having Hunter's ability to help the team hurt. but I think the second reason was an even bigger factor, the rest of the team never mentally got over not having Hunter.

+
s

I'm in the rare section that while UVA isn't my team, if they aren't playing one of the teams I root for (Ohio State and VT in football, UNC basketball) then I want them to do well.

But I dont see how someone questioning something for a team they like means they aren't a real fan. I actually think it shows quite the opposite. They are trying to think of ways for the team to do better.

I dont think that the lose to UMBC had ANYTHING to do with Bennett's system or the type of players on the team. It was because they play terrible and UMBC played GREAT. If they played 100 times, UVA wins 99 times.

But one thing I will have to disagree with whoever said it is what is the difference in regular season/acc tournament vs NCAA tournament. A LOT of things change. And there have been MANY examples of the best team not winning a championship. The 2 that come to my mind quickly are the NC STATE team and UCONN a few years ago. Teams get hot and as stated earlier things change. Syracuse was last team in this year and a few years ago, and not close to best team, but made Final Four. Why? Because they got hot and have a GREAT coach.

And while I think UVA was the best team throughout the season, they weren't the most talented team in their conference. They did that by their great coaching and system, and not having many off nights. But when you are considered the best team, then how the season ended doesn't make it a great year. Sure it's great to win regular season and conference tourney, but the blue bloods year in and year out are far more concerned about the NCAA tourney. Not to say they don't care about those, but schools like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc dont bank on their regular season or conference championships, they care about those banners in the rafters. UVA may get there eventually, and are already turning into a powerhouse, but until they get the ultimate goal, they can't be considered a top program. I certainly don't know even a 10th of what Roy Williams knows, but I can question a decision. Doesn't make me a bad fan

Reactions: mbonape1
I knew UVA was insanely overrated. Good defensive team but you gotta have horses who can score the ball. All us VCU fans are sick to our stomachs. #10, Jairus Lyles, was apart of the 2013 recruiting class out of DeMatha. He left because we went out and got Johnny Williams for the 2014 recruiting class. I could absolutely cry because JW was probably the worst PG VCU has had in recent memory. I don’t believe University of Maryland Baltimore County’s run is over. Those guys are well coached and fearless. This game wasn’t a fluke...They put the beat down on the WaHypeHoos!!!!
Not overrated at all. Their record was 32-2 is not overrated. That was probably their worst game of the year and without Andre, it made a difference. Every time UVA was down in any game, they put him in and the entire game play changed. He got them back in it and they won. UMBC played their best game. They couldn't miss three all night. You can call it what you want, but to say overrated is nonsense. They beat every team in the ACC including Duke at home and UNC twice. They beat the VCU rams also and they were the worse fans ever. That idiot guy standing on the floor pointing his finger in every single players face and saying "you are trash, you are trash, was disgusting. The fans booed the entire time.

Not overrated at all. Their record was 32-2 is not overrated. That was probably their worst game of the year and without Andre, it made a difference. Every time UVA was down in any game, they put him in and the entire game play changed. He got them back in it and they won. UMBC played their best game. They couldn't miss three all night. You can call it what you want, but to say overrated is nonsense. They beat every team in the ACC including Duke at home and UNC twice. They beat the VCU rams also and they were the worse fans ever. That idiot guy standing on the floor pointing his finger in every single players face and saying "you are trash, you are trash, was disgusting. The fans booed the entire time.
As a former Rowdy Ram (our student section) leader, I knew that VCU fan and I can tell you that he’s a good guy. VCU and UVA is a good basketball rivalry. It’s all fun at the end of the day. VCU fan base does get annoying, but it’s not everyone and every fan base has them. We probably have the best and most loyal basketball fan base in VA. 110+ sellouts. As far as UVA basketball goes, they are like VCU basketball and Virginia Tech football..Regional powers. Do good in the regular season and choke in crunch time. Speaking for myself, I never expected UVA to go far. I thought they’d beat UMBC, but I didn’t expect them to make it out of Round 2.

Rushed my post on Friday...Our very bad team almost beat UVA this year..If it hadn’t have been for Kyle Guy being so hot, you would’ve lost to the 9th best team in the A10. After watching just how bad VCU was by February, I knew UVA wasn’t very good. 32-2 but you gotta finish the job, something they’ve failed to do the past 4 years with very good players. First time ever a 16 beat a 1 seed and then beat them by 20. UVA’s excuse of Hunter not playing is just terrible. Hunter wasn’t a 20 point difference maker. BTW, Been to several UVA games before. VCU fans are waaaaaaaaay better. 110+ sellouts speaks for itselt. Only thing that UVA has on VCU is they play in the ACC and they’ve had consistency at the top. Bennett didn’t jump ship, whereas we’ve had 3 coaches in 4 years and had A LOT of Top 100 players transfer or decommit. Our AD is terrible for declining the bid to the AAC with Witchita last year as well as not hiring Lynchburg native and current NC State Head Coach Kevin Keatts in 2014. That’s the only advantage UVA has over us. 7 straight NCAA appearances and a Final Four appearance. Cough cough.

There's a reason coaches leave VCU and go somewhere else.

PROMOTIONS! Grant -Alabama (SEC), Smart - Texas (Big 12), and Wade - LSU (SEC). The VCU administration has done a great job of improving everything involving the University (Dorms, facilities, technology, and staff).

Unfortunately, VCU will never gain entrance into a Power Five Conference. The RVA TV market would be a nice addition addition for most, but without football its just not possible in todays big money game.

VCU has a lot to be proud of. They just need to hire correctly, work harder, and recruit their butts off to be successful in athletics. No shame in that.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Good stuff as always Navy. Before Will Wade left, we had the 17th recruiting class in America. Don’t care for Rhoades but I believe he’ll gain our trust and get us back. Rams are doing just fine.

Rushed my post on Friday...Our very bad team almost beat UVA this year..If it hadn’t have been for Kyle Guy being so hot, you would’ve lost to the 9th best team in the A10. After watching just how bad VCU was by February, I knew UVA wasn’t very good. 32-2 but you gotta finish the job, something they’ve failed to do the past 4 years with very good players. First time ever a 16 beat a 1 seed and then beat them by 20. UVA’s excuse of Hunter not playing is just terrible. Hunter wasn’t a 20 point difference maker. BTW, Been to several UVA games before. VCU fans are waaaaaaaaay better. 110+ sellouts speaks for itselt. Only thing that UVA has on VCU is they play in the ACC and they’ve had consistency at the top. Bennett didn’t jump ship, whereas we’ve had 3 coaches in 4 years and had A LOT of Top 100 players transfer or decommit. Our AD is terrible for declining the bid to the AAC with Witchita last year as well as not hiring Lynchburg native and current NC State Head Coach Kevin Keatts in 2014. That’s the only advantage UVA has over us. 7 straight NCAA appearances and a Final Four appearance. Cough cough.

There are A LOT of what ifs that happen every season. Look at all the upsets over the season and into the tourney. Just because a team plays with a team doesn't mean they are close, a lot of variables can factor in. That is like saying that since UMBC beat UVA and UVA beat Duke that UMBC is better. Fact is that UVA played terrible and UMBC played great, in 1 game. There is NO way to quantify how much of a difference that Hunter made. If UVA played UMBC 100 times, I imagine it's well into 90s how many times UVA would win, and even higher that it wouldn't be by 20. From what I saw over the course of season, UVA was far superior to UMBC, yet they lost and deserved to lose.

There is no way to quantify who has better fans. Certainly can't go off of fans/alumni of either team. Just they way people talk about others fans, but you never see the same with your own. How often do you hear "we have the greatest fans in the world". And while the sellouts are impressive, it still doesn't make a case on who has a better fan base. Nothing wrong with thinking you have the best, most knowledgeable, loyal fans, but nothing wrong with someone else feeling thst way either. Just the nature of the beast, and no way to qualify it

There are A LOT of what ifs that happen every season. Look at all the upsets over the season and into the tourney. Just because a team plays with a team doesn't mean they are close, a lot of variables can factor in. That is like saying that since UMBC beat UVA and UVA beat Duke that UMBC is better. Fact is that UVA played terrible and UMBC played great, in 1 game. There is NO way to quantify how much of a difference that Hunter made. If UVA played UMBC 100 times, I imagine it's well into 90s how many times UVA would win, and even higher that it wouldn't be by 20. From what I saw over the course of season, UVA was far superior to UMBC, yet they lost and deserved to lose.

There is no way to quantify who has better fans. Certainly can't go off of fans/alumni of either team. Just they way people talk about others fans, but you never see the same with your own. How often do you hear "we have the greatest fans in the world". And while the sellouts are impressive, it still doesn't make a case on who has a better fan base. Nothing wrong with thinking you have the best, most knowledgeable, loyal fans, but nothing wrong with someone else feeling thst way either. Just the nature of the beast, and no way to qualify it
Gunz LOL, I could careless who has better fans. A bunch of old people go to UVA games. Boring atmosphere. At least VCU is loud, a sellout, and great entertainment. Doesn’t matter to me one bit who’s better.

Ok DSH, you use the term "old people" rather loosely. Lol. I don't attend college games regularly but as an older sports fan I surely find my enthusiasm to be quite strong.

I do find the UVA crowd to be conservative and relaxed compared to VA Tech or VCU. I had season tickets for UVA football three years ago and at times the place seemed like a morgue. The JPJ Arena is a very nice venue and does get loud at times. I guess its all in your preference or personality. The louder and crazier it is the better for me.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Ok DSH, you use the term "old people" rather loosely. Lol. I don't attend college games regularly but as an older sports fan I surely find my enthusiasm to be quite strong.

I do find the UVA crowd to be conservative and relaxed compared to VA Tech or VCU. I had season tickets for UVA football three years ago and at times the place seemed like a morgue. The JPJ Arena is a very nice venue and does get loud at times. I guess its all in your preference or personality. The louder and crazier it is the better for me.
Navy you and my pops are around the same age..Y’all are no where near old. When I say old, I’m talking 70-80 range LOL!! Only a few basketball venues can compete with Siegel on game nights. Of course, we only hold 7800, but every game’s been a sellout since late 2010.

Navy you and my pops are around the same age..Y’all are no where near old. When I say old, I’m talking 70-80 range LOL!!
Lol, thats not called a fan. Thats a donor with his name on a seat. My dad is 78 and even though he continues to struggle with his health he is very passionate about sports. My mom said he threw the remote control at the tv during the UVA and UMBC game and was fussing so loud the dog hid under the bed. Guess the apple didnt fall far from the tree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT