ADVERTISEMENT

Varina Blue Devils

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Can play with anyone in the state. Congrats to Highland Springs. Came down to coaching and LJ called the right plays at the right time. This one hurts but PH on the clock.

@BoKnowsSports, it may hurt, but Varina has found a weapon that can cause some problems. If their coaching staff can figure things out the Blue Devils will be a tough out. It's all good they will still will have home field advantage until the regional final (unless they lose next week). I've done the math and if Huguenot wins next week they will jump EV. Dinwiddie can also jump EV if they win Friday night. I will save the rest for later.

This loss was as bad as the 2005 and 2009 years. Also 1 point losses. Coach got a tough decision to make at QB. I don't think it's clear cut to move on this late in the season.

Reactions: Varina210
Wyche was a baller today. Thrust into the game against a perennial State Contender and you play like a seasoned veteran and I believe they said he’s a Freshman…… the offense looked a lot smoother with him behind center
I’ve said all along,their problems all year revolve around an offense that doesn’t fit the big pocket passer QB. They are a mobile QB offense!

W

What was the 2 plays? Long passes? Runs?!
All 3 TDs were actually on 3rd. First one was Martin to Braxton after a very bad muffed punt by Varina. Can’t say one play lost the game but that did it after Varina was up 13-0 and was dominating. The second was a 80 (??) yarder from Henley. The last one was from 28 yards with 42 seconds left. Martin to Braxton. HS kicked the onside at the end and recovered.

That timeout Varina called just to run that horrible 2 point conversion play was the backbreaker IMO.

@BoKnowsSports, I have to applaud you. Win or not you stood tall and basically have spoken the facts. Varina's offensive scheme is not creative but the Wyche and Carter combo will be tough to deal with. Still have to come up with a way to keep teams honest.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
There are not a lot of big wins in class 4 this year. Nothing really stands out. Phoebus winning ugly today, Handley beating Millbrook, Tuscarora being undefeated. If JF beats LCA next week that will be huge. King beating EV???? Again nothing is glaring to me. Maybe Warhill over Matoaca.

Last edited:
@BoKnowsSports, I have to applaud you. Win or not you stood tall and basically have spoken the facts. Varina's offensive scheme is not creative but the Wyche and Carter combo will be tough to deal with. Still have to come up with a way to keep teams honest.
I appreciate you brother. A lot of people were wrong this week about this one but like you, I study these teams hard! I can’t wait until the playoffs. May see you Friday, I’ll let you know.

My concern with staying with Wyche is there is no way for them to develop the necessary timing that you do have with Johnson. I get he looked real lethargic today, but keep in mind all of the TDs were on scramble busted coverages and a throw up.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
My concern with staying with Wyche is there is no way for them to develop the necessary timing that you do have with Johnson. I get he looked real lethargic today, but keep in mind all of the TDs were on scramble busted coverages and a throw up.
Bro you have to give the guys some credit. What did Hoosprings and Springer76 say? 29-0, uglier than last year. We dominated that game for a while. We were outcoached but we played very well. The Blue Devils are going to be a hell of a tough out.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Bro you have to give the guys some credit. What did Hoosprings and Springer76 say? 29-0, uglier than last year. We dominated that game for a while. We were outcoached but we played very well. The Blue Devils are going to be a hell of a tough out.
Oh I've been high on the defense all year. I just don't feel any better about the offense after today. They played a hell of a game and also you were right about HSHS not being as good as they've been hyped to be.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Oh I've been high on the defense all year. I just don't feel any better about the offense after today. They played a hell of a game and also you were right about HSHS not being as good as they've been hyped to be.
The offense looked good. 2 huge drops. One was a sure TD and the other would’ve put Varina in HS territory.

Region B is the SEC of VHSL football. Dinwiddie’s offense is clicking and they have the best player in the state with the ball in his hands on every play, King George is still unbeaten and the playoffs will go through there, Huguenot is going to be a hell of an out, Varina’s defense is elite and Powhatan and EV can sneak up on you. Write it down, Region B is cream of the crop.

F9jaWoiXUAAsxL1

I appreciate you brother. A lot of people were wrong this week about this one but like you, I study these teams hard! I can’t wait until the playoffs. May see you Friday, I’ll let you know.
@BoKnowsSports, @BleedingNavy beat me to it. You have talked all year long about the Freshman QB and insisted this team has what it takes and will pull it together. You may not have won on the scoreboard but I think you found something far greater. I do not think HSHS is a better football team after watching the game. Some really opportunistic things happened for HSHS in that game especially the botched punt. I don't think they win without that mishap. Salute to Springs though who just stayed in the game and kept chopping wood. Varina... you have now lost by 7 points collectively to two of the best teams in the state but you are otherwise unblemished. Varina was my pick for the champion this year but I was starting to have serious doubts. After todays performance, I have renewed confidence. Well done @BoKnowsSports, this bud is for you!

Region B is the SEC of VHSL football. Dinwiddie’s offense is clicking and they have the best player in the state with the ball in his hands on every play, King George is still unbeaten and the playoffs will go through there, Huguenot is going to be a hell of an out, Varina’s defense is elite and Powhatan and EV can sneak up on you. Write it down, Region B is cream of the crop.
I agree, Region B is the best Region top to bottom in Class 4 this year. The other regions only have 1-2 teams that have a legit chance of winning their respective region.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
@BoKnowsSports, @BleedingNavy beat me to it. You have talked all year long about the Freshman QB and insisted this team has what it takes and will pull it together. You may not have won on the scoreboard but I think you found something far greater. I do not think HSHS is a better football team after watching the game. Some really opportunistic things happened for HSHS in that game especially the botched punt. I don't think they win without that mishap. Salute to Springs though who just stayed in the game and kept chopping wood. Varina... you have now lost by 7 points collectively to two of the best teams in the state but you are otherwise unblemished. Varina was my pick for the champion this year but I was starting to have serious doubts. After todays performance, I have renewed confidence. Well done @BoKnowsSports, this bud is for you!
Thanks bro! Hopefully Linwood Johnson is okay after the hit he took. He threw 2 very nice balls today and is a great kid. Tough he’s taken the blame for the offensive woes when they did not adjust the offense to his strengths. The freshman will more than likely give them the best chance moving forward. Varina has a huge game Friday vs PH. PH has been Varina’s kryptonite and is the best 3 win team in VA. The playoffs starts now for Dinwiddie and Varina.

This loss was as bad as the 2005 and 2009 years. Also 1 point losses. Coach got a tough decision to make at QB. I don't think it's clear cut to move on this late in the season.
I remember that 2005 loss... that is one of those games I won't ever forget.

QB decision won't be easy by any stretch but you got to go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win...

Thanks bro! Hopefully Linwood Johnson is okay after the hit he took. He threw 2 very nice balls today and is a great kid. Tough he’s taken the blame for the offensive woes when they did not adjust the offense to his strengths. The freshman will more than likely give them the best chance moving forward. Varina has a huge game Friday vs PH. PH has been Varina’s kryptonite and is the best 3 win team in VA. The playoffs starts now for Dinwiddie and Varina.
PHA is waaay better than their record, 1000%. Yeah Dinwiddie vs Matoaca next week is huge. That should be game of the week. How about TeeJay!! To think, we almost TJ v Huguenot 1st game of the season. We were robbed!

PHA is waaay better than their record, 1000%. Yeah Dinwiddie vs Matoaca next week is huge. That should be game of the week. How about TeeJay!! To think, we almost TJ v Huguenot 1st game of the season. We were robbed!
TJ just may sneak their way to Lynchburg? Man that line looks extremely good. Hopewell will be a tall task but IF Tee Jay makes it that far, the game will be in Richmond city.

Reactions: mbonape1
They are but I like their defense (Patrick Henry) more than their offense.

My understanding in terms of Huguenot-TJ is we won't see these two teams play for a number of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT