COURTLAND HIGH 1,177
CHARLOTTESVILLE HIGH 1,173
CAROLINE HIGH 1,170
LCA 1,164 not on website
BASSETT HIGH 1,161
LAFAYETTE HIGH 1,135
WILLIAM BYRD HIGH 1,063

I believe Amherst is at 1290. Their enrollment has really dropped

Highest I've seen Salem in a very long time.

What's the cutoff for 5A anyway, some of those numbers at the top are ridiculous.

What's the cutoff for 5A anyway, some of those numbers at the top are ridiculous.

I think the top 5 listed will be moving to 5A in the next cycle.

Would these be the numbers used for re-classing for the final two years of the cycle, 2019 and 2020?

No. They use average daily attendance.
Would the ADM from this past March be the number used? I seem to remember that there is a year plus lag time?

What is the VHSL criteria/policy for a mid 4 year cycle re-classification?

Maroons, do we know the methodology that VDOE uses to determine these enrollment numbers? I assume there is some variance in the way the two different enrollment numbers are compiled?

Aren't the March ADM numbers to official number used by the Commonwealth to determine the amount of money paid to a locality?

Just FYI, there is nothing nefarious in my questions, I'm just curious. Thank you.

The VHSL does use March ADM. Beyond that, I have no clue. These numbers will give you a good idea what to expect when they reclassify for the next cycle.

I think the top 5 listed will be moving to 5A in the next cycle.
That's what everyone thought with the last cycle...we shall see.

Last I heard Mike, was that Salem was sending their rejects to IMG! If you didn't have an NFL offer, you were sent packing.

Seriously, did you see where that 25 year old kid played a year of HS basketball? Fooled the school into believing he was a homeless refuge from New Orleans. A former coach saw his highlights, and dropped the dime on him.

Last I heard Mike, was that Salem was sending their rejects to IMG! If you didn't have an NFL offer, you were sent packing.

Seriously, did you see where that 25 year old kid played a year of HS basketball? Fooled the school into believing he was a homeless refuge from New Orleans. A former coach saw his highlights, and dropped the dime on him.
Yeah I saw that DP, that's crazy!

The report I saw didn't address the issue of it affecting their victories. A lot we don't know, but on the surface it doesn't look like the school administration looked real hard to verify anything. I'm always split about any punishment hurting the innocent kids.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Between them and grayson in Ga it is unreal.
I think Grayson is even more impressive of a program than IMG. Grayson is a public school with zoning restrictions, which means that all of their talent is within that one zone! Unbelievable! I seen where Grayson has 12 guys in the 2019 class alone that have already committed to play FBS football. There are even more uncommitted or underclassmen.

Not to get too far off topic... but just curious how y’all like a 6-class system in VA? Good or bad? Been a lot of debate here in NC whether we should expand to 5 or 6, or stay at 4. Personally I think we need to expand, because subdividing each class in the playoffs, to me, is incredibly stupid.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I think it depends on the number of schools in the state or even state populations. I don't like 6 because it causes too many scheduling problems. Just don't like it at all. Even in individual sports like wrestling get watered down too much . I think 5 would be nice for team athletics. Having a small classification for very small schools is good so they can compete with appropriate smaller schools. Having a large school classification is good for the opposite end. The three remaining classifications in the middle should then be divided up equally. I feel this would create good competition and could reduce scheduling conflicts.

Six classes is fine for football, sucks for everything else.

For enrollment keep in mind that the VHSL numbers for a lot of schools will differ from the VDOE numbers because they also include kids that attend magnet or alternative schools without athletic programs but are eligible to play sports at their zoned school.

MIDLOTHIAN HIGH 1,691
DEEP CREEK HIGH 1,647
WOODGROVE HIGH 1,629
RIVERSIDE HIGH 1,593
DOMINION HIGH 1,565
PARK VIEW Sterling HIGH 1,521
SHERANDO HIGH 1,511
LOUDOUN COUNTY HIGH 1,506
KING'S FORK HIGH 1,501
MONACAN HIGH 1,473
LOUISA COUNTY HIGH 1,468
MILLBROOK HIGH 1,450
HERITAGE Leesburg HIGH 1,450
GREAT BRIDGE HIGH 1,449
POWHATAN HIGH 1,446
CHURCHLAND HIGH 1,418
PATRICK HENRY Ashland HIGH 1,408
WOODROW WILSON HIGH 1,393
JEFFERSON FOREST HIGH 1,388
E.C. GLASS HIGH 1,381
DENBIGH HIGH 1,380
HANOVER HIGH 1,379
WARHILL HIGH 1,377
LOUDOUN VALLEY HIGH 1,373
GEORGE WASHINGTON HIGH 1,353
HUGUENOT HIGH 1,349
JAMESTOWN HIGH 1,329
FAUQUIER HIGH 1,318
JAMES WOOD HIGH 1,316
JOHN HANDLEY HIGH 1,313
PULASKI COUNTY SR. HIGH 1,311
EASTERN VIEW HIGH 1,307
KING GEORGE HIGH 1,303
DINWIDDIE HIGH 1,300
SALEM-Salem HIGH 1,292
CHANCELLOR HIGH 1,277
LIBERTY Bealton HIGH 1,274
SMITHFIELD HIGH 1,261
HERITAGE Newport News HIGH 1,252
LAKE TAYLOR HIGH 1,238
KETTLE RUN HIGH SCH 1,213
BLACKSBURG HIGH 1,211
AMHERST COUNTY HIGH 1,190
GRAFTON HIGH 1,185
COURTLAND HIGH 1,177
CHARLOTTESVILLE HIGH 1,173
CAROLINE HIGH 1,170
LCA 1,164 not on website
BASSETT HIGH 1,161
LAFAYETTE HIGH 1,135
WILLIAM BYRD HIGH 1,063
Heard a rumor down here Lafayette may be dropping back to 3a again. At second smallest 4a and 500 students than the largest 4a may be some truth to it.

Not to get too far off topic... but just curious how y’all like a 6-class system in VA? Good or bad? Been a lot of debate here in NC whether we should expand to 5 or 6, or stay at 4. Personally I think we need to expand, because subdividing each class in the playoffs, to me, is incredibly stupid.
N.C. is perfectly fine! I agree with otnorot, 6 classifications is fine in football in VA, terrible for the rest of the sports. VA was the perfectly fine when it used the Single A, Double A and Triple A module. They could break it down to 6 champs in football, but there should only be 1 champ in other sports, meaning Single A gets a champ, Double A gets a champ, and Triple A gets a champ, in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc like old times. When the VHSL made this new format, it took away a lot of the competitiveness here in VA.

N.C. is perfectly fine! I agree with otnorot, 6 classifications is fine in football in VA, terrible for the rest of the sports. VA was the perfectly fine when it used the Single A, Double A and Triple A module. They could break it down to 6 champs in football, but there should only be 1 champ in other sports, meaning Single A gets a champ, Double A gets a champ, and Triple A gets a champ, in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc like old times. When the VHSL made this new format, it took away a lot of the competitiveness here in VA.

The biggest issue in NC is the split classifications when it comes to playoffs... 1A/1AA, 2A/AA, 3A/3AA, 4A/4AA.... creates a largely watered down playoff field, especially in 1A and 4A (both A and AA). Especially when they use a 20/30/30/20 format (20% of football schools in 1A, 30% in 2A and 3A, and 20% in 4A). Mooresville for example... 4 wins all year and somehow made the playoffs. In 1A I think there was some 2 and 3 Win teams that got in. It’s the subdivision when the playoffs start that cause all the debate here.

From reading the prepgridion boards, Grayson may get their fair share of in-state transfers. They are loaded every year, but a couple of other Ga schools might match them in talent this year, including Marietta (led by Oscar Smith's old coach).

I think Grayson is even more impressive of a program than IMG. Grayson is a public school with zoning restrictions, which means that all of their talent is within that one zone! Unbelievable! I seen where Grayson has 12 guys in the 2019 class alone that have already committed to play FBS football. There are even more uncommitted or underclassmen.

I'm glad Dinwiddie is solidly in the middle of 4a. It would take a drastic change in the economy of Dinwiddie for us to rise or drop enough students to affect our status. Total school enrollment for Dinwiddie has trended down in the last has few years, but I don't believe it represents a pattern. The Dinwiddie economy is healthy, without growing ridiculously fast. Same with housing. Same with new business and industry. Just a steady, measured growth that doesn't cause local government spending to go crazy.

If asked for a long term prediction, I can't envision Dinwiddie ever dropping to 3a, and I would be shocked if we were close to 5a in 10 years.

I know Lafayette is just above the 3a cut line, so it doesn't take much to cause a change. But, why the decline at Lafayette? How about the other two high schools in James City County?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I'm glad Dinwiddie is solidly in the middle of 4a. It would take a drastic change in the economy of Dinwiddie for us to rise or drop enough students to affect our status. Total school enrollment for Dinwiddie has trended down in the last has few years, but I don't believe it represents a pattern. The Dinwiddie economy is healthy, without growing ridiculously fast. Same with housing. Same with new business and industry. Just a steady, measured growth that doesn't cause local government spending to go crazy.

If asked for a long term prediction, I can't envision Dinwiddie ever dropping to 3a, and I would be shocked if we were close to 5a in 10 years.

I know Lafayette is just above the 3a cut line, so it doesn't take much to cause a change. But, why the decline at Lafayette? How about the other two high schools in James City County?
The decline is due to 3 high schools in Williamsburg and the districting lines that just resulted in fewer students at Lafayette. Notice that Jamestown and Warhill both have 200 students more than Lafayette. May be that both schools are much newer in construction and therefore desirable to be at. Unless of course you are looking for a football scholarship. Haven’t heard of any new high school redistricting here just middle school as a brand new one just opened.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT