ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Executive Committee meets this month

I wonder what exactly they mean by "practice". That term is very vague if you ask me. Does that mean teams will not be allowed to have organized drills? No organized sessions outside? Or does it mean they will not be allowed to do these things with equipment on? I don't know of any teams that actually practice year round with full equipment.

I wonder what exactly they mean by "practice". That term is very vague if you ask me. Does that mean teams will not be allowed to have organized drills? No organized sessions outside? Or does it mean they will not be allowed to do these things with equipment on? I don't know of any teams that actually practice year round with full equipment.
maybe you can get some clarification on the Class 2 Board - they are the folks bringing it to the executive board.

Looking at the proposed Class 4-6 alignments on the boarddocs site...Broad Run is officially going to be Class 4 next year?

Looking at the proposed Class 4-6 alignments on the boarddocs site...Broad Run is officially going to be Class 4 next year?
do you have a link?
they already approved 1-4 and was supposed to be just looking at 5 and 6.

The never ending saga of "out of season practice". The VHSL (and I'm not a fan of a lot of their decisions) will never get it right and ultimately it's unfair to think they can with the big enterprise of AAU/Travel all around them. Since its inception and the fact that any kid no matter what ability level can play on a team, it's been the slow and agonizing death of high school sports for reasons that I won't get into it as I could probably type for 2 days straight.
As for the new legislation of the table, it will never pass as it's written. I'm guessing it will be tweaked and tweaked before getting any favorable ruling. For what it's worth, I don't have a problem with the current rule other than maybe a few more dead periods other than the weight room exception. Not a fan of shutting down the weight room.
My final thoughts-You will never get every school to agree with a rule in regards to out of season. The BIGGEST issue is the actual schools need to set up their own rules outside of the VHSL that best suits their schools needs. For example (smaller schools who need multi sport kids need to have many more dead periods and divide up so kids/coaches aren't having to pick what sport to go to. Create windows where every sport season has the same amount of time (this allows coaches and kids to have a break and to do other sports) I know some schools have done this while others just go with the VHSL rule. The issue starts and stops with the individual schools and not the VHSL in regards to this. It's ok for the schools to be the "bad guy/good guy" in this as it's what is best for the school/coaches/players involve

Reactions: FootballArmy
Literally everything would be shut down other than weight room/conditoning (speed agility etc) No open gyms/open cages etc.

I think people are missing the point on year round practice. Football is not effected by year round practice except 7 on 7 and a few ball drills. 90 percent of football offseason is in the weight room and conditioning. Year round practice was an attempt to reduce the influence of aau and other travel teams. If kids are going to play basketball year round let’s let their qualified coach work with them not some random coach. Kids specializing in one sport has very little to do with year round practice. If the kids are only playing one sport because they are felling pressure by that coach then the ad needs to step in.

Correct. Hands-on ADs are needed everywhere where you have a baseball coach (just an example) telling his players they can’t play other sports because it conflicts with baseball offseason workouts.

ALL HS athletes shouldn’t be told by one coach not to play other sports in the offseason. ADs need to step up and stop that in their building.

Correct. Hands-on ADs are needed everywhere where you have a baseball coach (just an example) telling his players they can’t play other sports because it conflicts with baseball offseason workouts.

ALL HS athletes shouldn’t be told by one coach not to play other sports in the offseason. ADs need to step up and stop that in their building.

Any coach who tells a player he cannot play another sport should be fired. I hope VHSL bans year round practice..

Reactions: WP02alum
it’s not that simple, it’s more like subtle hints like you will have a better chance to make the team if you are at off season workouts. I think it’s less about football because they don’t cut. However I have heard coaches say if you want to start. It also has some validity because people do improve by doing that specific sport.

Reactions: WP02alum
I’ll just say I’ve seen this dealt with in a phenomenal way, but it takes an AD with conviction and courage to shut it down when those selfish coaches (who usually don’t even win all that much) start telling HS athletes their fall baseball is more important than a fall sport.

Also up for a vote Wednesday is a proposal to increase the maximum number of regular-season baseball and softball games from 20 to 22 plus an invitational tournament which could include a maximum of five games.
The following new sites for 2018-19 state events are up for a vote Wednesday:
  • Class 1, 2 and 3 cross country — Green Hill Park in Roanoke County.
  • Class 1 and 2 golf — Virginia Tech’s River Course.
  • Girls Open golf — Heritage Oaks G.C., Harrisonburg.
  • Class 4, 5 and 6 volleyball — VCU’s Siegel Center.
  • Class 3 and 4 indoor track — Liberty University.
  • Class 1 and 2 spring jubilee — Salem (tennis at Virginia Tech)
  • Class 3 and 4 spring jubilee — Liberty University.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT