ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Hoops Top Tens - First Edition for 2020-21

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
So far, a total of 40 programs have opted out of winter sports - recognizable schools that have hoisted State Championships in recent years like Henrico, John Marshall and Varina out of the Richmond area alone. More are sure to be coming. However, for now, we will be ranking the ones that have not pulled the plug yet as the season commences today.
Class 1 Top Ten:
1. Auburn
2. Parry McCluer
3. West Point
4. Grundy
5. Twin Springs
6. Mathews
7. Colonial Beach
8. Eastside
9. Altavista
10. Lancaster

Honorable Mention:
Narrows
George Wythe
Charles City
Galax
Riverheads
Chilhowie

Matthew Hatfield
serves as Publisher for VirginiaPreps.com, part of the Rivals.com Network, and is a regular contributor to the ACC Sports Journal. Check out Hatfield’s Twitter page for more sports related updates, and you can also read his work in the Suffolk News Herald. To contact Matthew, please e-mail hatfieldsports2k4@yahoo.com, and don’t forget to listen to him from 10 AM to Noon on 757 Saturday Sports Talk on ESPN Radio 94.1.

Nice to see my Big Red get some mention but on paper this looks like a rebuilding year. But I like the idea!!!

I don't understand why West Point is so high. They are consistently overrated - did they go .500 last year? Mathews was co-state champs and only lost 1 significant player and return the all-everything Thomas kid who has over 1000 points and over 1000 rebounds for his career. The 1000 rebounds through basically 3 years is remarkable - what is that 16 rpg! Auburn has everyone back, PM is the best coached team and has a 6-10 kid with D-1 offers - who's on West Point? They had a great JV team last year but I heard 2 of those kids aren't coming back and another had a torn ACL. Colonial Beach only lost 1 player off their team and Lancaster always is in the mix.
My top 10 -
Auburn, PM, Mathews, Colonial Beach, Lancaster, George Wythe, Grundy, Galax, Eastside, Riverheads.

Honorable Mention - Charles City, West Point, Narrows

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Right now iffy if Colonial Beach and Lancaster play. All NND schools that have not opted out are virtual until Jan 19. I suspect we will know more by the end of this week.

Can people post links to games? I'd like to watch more games especially of teams I normally don't get to see. The only good thing to come out of this pandemic is I've been able to see a few more games than normal. This should be a big week for a lot of teams. King William and West Point open up tonight so hopefully I can find a link and see if West Point is overrated or not. They also play at Mathews on Tuesday. Mathews was beaten by Carver last week which surprised. It was low scoring and both teams played mostly zone. Mathews beat Charles City handily and then Charles City goes out and beats Franklin 2x and local rival New Kent. I also got to watch a few 2A and 3A games last week so maybe I can find a link for Auburn or a PM game this week.

I will say its tough to watch 2 games at once. I caught a bit of the WP/KW game and the PM/Botty game. I believe Botetourt is a 3A or 4A school. Botetourt won but PM looked formidable at times and if Auburn isn't going to play, they look like the favorites to come out of the West. Both their bigs are pretty solid players. King William hit a 3 at the buzzer to beat WP. It looked like WP was going to run away with it in the 3rd. I think they were up 14 or 16. They got into some foul trouble and turned it over in the 4th. They have a solid big who can shoot it and some really decent guards. They will give some teams a fit but I'm not ready to put them in the top 10 yet. I'm hoping to catch some other games this week, maybe Bland. It looks like they have some kids that can shoot it from the outside based on box scores. I believe Lancaster meets tonight about sports and Colonial Beach tomorrow night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT