ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Leadership

colonel 72

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 30, 2010
Maybe the VHSL needs to be reorganized. The perception that certain large, influential schools or areas get their way is not a good look. Whether true or not. Maybe we need to have several offices thru out the state to look after the interests of diverse areas if they are not doing that now. Perceptions whether they exist or not are like tumors that can grow and cause big problems.
Im throwing this out to all to get your feedback. Look at Virginia asa it is now. How do you have a system that has to deal with the population density of NOVA and have it interact with the old coal field regions of Western Va? Or Southside Virginia where industry used to be king along with tobacco and now are mostly gone.
These parts of Virginia used to support NOVA before the five counties of NOVA existed. Remember NOVA used to be beautiful farm country before our federal government began to grow and has taken over these counties along with defense contractors and tech companies who located there to also take advantage of governmental growth.
I believe Loudon County alone will open its 17th high school next year if i am correct. Think about that. 17 HIGH SCHOOLS IN ONE COUNTY. GOOGLE IT. I live in Pittsylvania County and we have had four high schools for over half a century and the population is dropping. Seems like a superhuman challenge for the VHSL to get things right. Your thoughts ladies and gents.

Reactions: AntGZee
I feel like the VHSL needs more power to make decision making and take it out of the region or districts hands. I suppose theoretically the schools in NoVa could kick the VHSL to the curb if that happened though. I'm actually mildly surprised the schools in NoVa and the schools in and around DC along with Montgomery County, Md and PG County, Md havent just made their own conference separate of both Maryland and Virginia school leagues and had their own championship games, etc..

Wasnt it the schools down in the Virginia Beach area that forced the VHSL's hands years back and moved the girls basketball season to winter so that field hockey could be a fall sport or something like that?

Reactions: AntGZee
I feel like the VHSL needs more power to make decision making and take it out of the region or districts hands. I suppose theoretically the schools in NoVa could kick the VHSL to the curb if that happened though. I'm actually mildly surprised the schools in NoVa and the schools in and around DC along with Montgomery County, Md and PG County, Md havent just made their own conference separate of both Maryland and Virginia school leagues and had their own championship games, etc..

Wasnt it the schools down in the Virginia Beach area that forced the VHSL's hands years back and moved the girls basketball season to winter so that field hockey could be a fall sport or something like that?
They probably could run their own program with the money and influence they have. Dont know about field hockey and girls basketball. I imagine if truth be known VHSL doesn't have enough full time staff to do the job right.

Reactions: mmqp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT