ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL moving title games to Wm&Mary

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
I read an article this morning in Lynchburg paper that said VHSL is proposing to move 3A and 4A title games to W&M. This is a very stupid move on part of VHSL. I hope Exec Committee votes it down. Even the dumbest person in VHSL should know Lynchburg is a better venue than W&M.

They talking the "safe" issue with northern Virginia schools, That is BS. The VHSL holds state basketball in Richmond. Compare Richmond's murder rate to that of Lynchburg, and other crimes also. Then tell me which is safest city. Compare crime on LU campus with that on other campuses around that state. Whoever came up with this proposal is full of BS, not to mention lying.

Reactions: wikki
I think they should change every cycle anyway. LU is a very nice venue but it's not like they filling all the seats or even half for that matter. W&M is not as big but also very nice but they can accommodate all the fans that usually come to the game.

Another reason I'm with the change is the eastern teams has been traveling the last couple of years let's make the west travel for a couple of years. Then after that come back to the central at U of R.

I read an article this morning in Lynchburg paper that said VHSL is proposing to move 3A and 4A title games to W&M. This is a very stupid move on part of VHSL. I hope Exec Committee votes it down. Even the dumbest person in VHSL should know Lynchburg is a better venue than W&M.

They talking the "safe" issue with northern Virginia schools, That is BS. The VHSL holds state basketball in Richmond. Compare Richmond's murder rate to that of Lynchburg, and other crimes also. Then tell me which is safest city. Compare crime on LU campus with that on other campuses around that state. Whoever came up with this proposal is full of BS, not to mention lying.

I couldn't care less one way or other but I am curious what makes this such a stupid move.

I couldn't care less one way or other but I am curious what makes this such a stupid move.
It is stupid only because HR6 doesn't agree with it. The sites should be rotated around the state. Let venues state their case or disqualify themselves as a future host based on performance. Have not read the article but, have to believe "little jerry" created the current issue as on a performance and facility basis LU has proven worthy in the past.

Reactions: shauntclair
It is stupid only because HR6 doesn't agree with it. The sites should be rotated around the state. Let venues state their case or disqualify themselves as a future host based on performance. Have not read the article but, have to believe "little jerry" created the current issue as on a performance and facility basis LU has proven worthy in the past.
lol @ "little jerry"

As both a Salem fan and a W&M alum, I would wholeheartedly support this move. As long as it's on Saturday and the weather permits it, if Salem's playing in the state championship, I'm there - if it's in Ewing, Point of Rocks, or anyplace in between.

If it is moved I believe the VHSL will lose money. Don't believe that area will have as many fans come to the games, just my opinion

This sure puts the pressure on. Dinwiddie needs to get back to Lynchburg this year if I'm ever going to have a chance of eating Wikki's delicious food again. I'm sure that Wikki and the Amherst ladies will not be taking care of the hospitality suite in Williamsburg. And that will be a sad day for the 3a and 4a championships!

Really Mr. Dolan?

Do you really think the public is that naive? I'm referencing the paragraph that I bolded below. If nothing that was said by LU had any affect on the decision to change venues, then why isn't the VHSL considering moving the 1a/2a and 5a/6/a venues?

I don't have a problem with with the VHSL considering the facts and voting on a decision that the majority decide is in the best entrance of the membership. I do however become offended when the VHSL, through Tom Dolan, put a political spin on a controversial decision instead of being up front with the rationale

CATES
The (Lynchburg) News & Advance

The Virginia High School League may move all but one of its state championships away from Liberty University, beginning next school year.

The league released a plan Friday that details a multitude of proposed changes, which must now meet with approval by an executive committee next month. The executive committee can approve or reject the changes when it meets on Thursday, May 5.

Among the changes, the VHSL recommends moving the Group 3A and 4A football state championship games away from LU’s Williams Stadium to William & Mary’s Zable Stadium in Williamsburg. The Spring Jubilee for 3A and 4A schools, which will be held at LU for the third straight season this June, would be moved to Salem.

On Dec. 18, 2015, the VHSL released a statement saying it was concerned about safety at LU following comments by university President Jerry Falwell Jr. at a Dec. 4 convocation.

Falwell made national headlines when he said, “I always thought if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in and killed them.”

Those remarks followed the Dec. 2 attack in San Bernardino, California. Falwell later said his remarks were aimed at Islamic extremists responsible for that attack and not at Muslims in general. The VHSL said Falwell’s comments had raised alarm among some of its members.

On Friday, Tom Dolan, the VHSL Assistant Director for Compliance, said the proposed move was not generated by Falwell’s comments or the university’s pro-gun stance.

Dolan cited a December meeting at the league’s office in Charlottesville in which the VHSL explored their potential moves for the future.

“That [meeting] was in response to an October presentation that we were going to explore all avenues and membership requests,” Dolan said.

The VHSL will hold the 3A and 4A Spring Jubilee at LU in June. The three-year contract will run out after those events.

The Spring Jubilee consists of baseball, softball, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, and lacrosse (4A).

“There’s not a reason for us to do anything different at this point,” Dolan added.

The move to William & Mary for the 3A and 4A football championships would run through 2018. The 1A and 2A state title games remain in Salem, while basketball and volleyball titles stay in Richmond.

The only state championship scheduled to remain at Liberty is indoor track & field. Wrestling would be split up, with 1A-3A schools grappling at Salem and 4A-6A schools traveling to Norfolk.

E.C. Glass boys tennis coach Wistar Nelligan is certainly familiar with the Spring Jubilee. His team has won three-straight state titles, with the last two coming at LU. The Hilltoppers are poised for another run this season.

“It’s a neat atmosphere. It’s hard to find another place with facilities that are as first-rate as Liberty,” Nelligan said. “Certainly for a local coach, it’s nice to play in a place that’s so close to home, where fans can come watch you easily.”

Those fans, Nelligan added, didn’t show up en masse when the Hilltoppers won a state title at Virginia Tech in 2013. “The last two years, we’ve had a tremendous amount of people,” he said.

Some of the league’s state title games have a long history at Liberty’s Williams Stadium. In 2012, both Brookville and Heritage High played in back-to-back state championships there.

And while Heritage football coach Brad Bradley admits it’s been nice for local teams to be able to compete close to home, he thinks the new format might be beneficial as well, despite the three-hour trip to William & Mary.

“If you’re lucky enough to play in the state championship game, then wherever they have it, you go play,” Bradley said.

I suggest moving the 3A game to Salem with the 2/1A games and move 4A to uva with 6/5A

This sure puts the pressure on. Dinwiddie needs to get back to Lynchburg this year if I'm ever going to have a chance of eating Wikki's delicious food again. I'm sure that Wikki and the Amherst ladies will not be taking care of the hospitality suite in Williamsburg. And that will be a sad day for the 3a and 4a championships!
Thanks Dinwiddie, you are correct I would not drive to Williamsburg for a game unless Amherst was playing. It is sad for Amherst ladies because we enjoyed it every year and always received the best compliments each year. I had one of them text me this am on how disappointed she was if this happened. We enjoyed it while we could.

If it is moved I believe the VHSL will lose money. Don't believe that area will have as many fans come to the games, just my opinion
I would also venture to say that they may make more with the folks in that Tidewater area that usually don't have much motivation to take the drive to "JerryLand". I like the idea of rotating the venue. I also happen to find the venue at W&M to be better. The kids will be blown away by the locker rooms and the Stadium is much cozier. Plus, anyone coming could make a nice weekend out of it. You can literally have one foot on Campus and the other in historic Williamsburg. The biggest plus for me is the intelligent young people on campus will be so much different than the mindless Lemings at LU.

Reactions: gen4ever
LU is best venue in state. Attendance will suffer if move is made. They may as well move 1A and 2A games out of Salem along with 5-6 A out of Charlottesville. Moving to W and M is very stupid.

Reactions: wikki
They should put you in charge. Most logical idea! That would be nice.
It's the most logical right now to narrow it down to one venue overall but over time. I think within the next cycle vhsl's goal should be to get all 6 games at uva. 2 games Friday night 4 games Saturday or all 6 Saturday. This option could be bad based on money unless they charged all six games and cleared the stadium which would be impossible. They could do two game sessions

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
It's the most logical right now to narrow it down to one venue overall but over time. I think within the next cycle vhsl's goal should be to get all 6 games at uva. 2 games Friday night 4 games Saturday or all 6 Saturday. This option could be bad based on money unless they charged all six games and cleared the stadium which would be impossible. They could do two game sessions

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I really don't see any logic at all to moving all six football championship games to one venue. Three games in one day would be a real stretch; they'd have to start at 11:00, 3:00 and 7:00. Even that could have attendees of the last game arriving home in the wee hours of Sunday. Four in one day would be a logistical nightmare. And games on Friday night would probably prevent a lot of people - those who couldn't get off work in time to make the trip - from attending.

This would be the same mistake as shoehorning all twelve basketball tournaments into one venue in the same week, IMHO. And for what? I can't conceive of there being any more than a handful of people that want to pay to sit through six games (plus down time!) in which they have no rooting interest. I get that I am likely addressing one of that handful! ;-)

Just my take, but I think two games at each of three venues is the best way to go for football.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I really don't see any logic at all to moving all six football championship games to one venue. Three games in one day would be a real stretch; they'd have to start at 11:00, 3:00 and 7:00. Even that could have attendees of the last game arriving home in the wee hours of Sunday. Four in one day would be a logistical nightmare. And games on Friday night would probably prevent a lot of people - those who couldn't get off work in time to make the trip - from attending.

This would be the same mistake as shoehorning all twelve basketball tournaments into one venue in the same week, IMHO. And for what? I can't conceive of there being any more than a handful of people that want to pay to sit through six games (plus down time!) in which they have no rooting interest. I get that I am likely addressing one of that handful! ;-)

Just my take, but I think two games at each of three venues is the best way to go for football.
To be fair the NCHSAA has 3 games a day at their venue. As you stated they start at 11,3, and 7. Theirs have no kind of correlation to it. As they'll have the 4aa first, maybe the 3a second, and the 1aa game last (the NCHSAA has 8 classifications 1a, 1aa, 2a, 2aa, all the way to 4aa).. It's really a turnoff because most people, including myself want to see the bigger schools play and with the state championships spread out into 3 sites , it's really hard to do that. I'd much rather have the 1a, 2a, and 3a play at one location, which Salem is a great location for this and have the 4a, 5a, and 6a played at UR or UVA. For me, next to LU, UR has the best facilities in VA, coming from a VCU student/fan. Their stadium is absolutely state of the art and it's a safe area being in the west end of RVA and closer proximity to the team's that'll be playing there. I'm not a fan of W&M's stadium, went to 2 W&M games this year. As long as they don't move the games to JMU, I really don't care where they play them lol...

If it's their team and they're in the Championship, the fans will come. Doesn't really matter where they're located. I do like the idea of changing the venue every few years. UVA is a great facility but I would have no issue with it going to UR or the facility the Redskins use each year in Richmond. They can accommodate all needs. I actually think it's important to move these things around. Much as I like the SuperBowl when it's in New Orleans, I don't want it there every year.

If it's their team and they're in the Championship, the fans will come. Doesn't really matter where they're located. I do like the idea of changing the venue every few years. UVA is a great facility but I would have no issue with it going to UR or the facility the Redskins use each year in Richmond. They can accommodate all needs. I actually think it's important to move these things around. Much as I like the SuperBowl when it's in New Orleans, I don't want it there every year.
Then move the 1a and 2a games away from Salem each year then that is fair

The facility the Redskins use in Richmond is not suitable for state championship game. Heck, it ain't suitable for a regular season game between the 2 worst teams in the state. That place sucks. No seating, no parking , no nothing but a field.

It would be nice if they could play all games so that fans could attend all 6. Maybe play one on Friday night. 3 on Saturday and 2 on sunday.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Reference W&M Stadium. If games are moved there, traffic and parking will be a nightmare, along with other facets of hosting a championship game, as compared to Liberty University. W&M is not suited to hold championship games. I wonder if the VHSL has bothered to visit W&M for a site visit.

Why is there a problem with parking? I'm pretty sure if W&M sells out a game for themselves and they have enough parking for them why would there be a problem if the championship game sells out?

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
The facility the Redskins use in Richmond is not suitable for state championship game. Heck, it ain't suitable for a regular season game between the 2 worst teams in the state. That place sucks. No seating, no parking , no nothing but a field.

It would be nice if they could play all games so that fans could attend all 6. Maybe play one on Friday night. 3 on Saturday and 2 on sunday.

The VHSL only allows Sunday games in emergency situations. If you schedule games a year ahead of time I don't know that you'd call that an emergency. If the games are at Liberty I don't know what Liberty's attitude toward Sunday games would be.

I was at a LU softball game yesterday at LU. VHSL could revise their policies and allow championship game on Sunday.

But it accommodates a professional team and the thousands of fans that come daily to watch them play. Your only motive here is to keep the game local to you.

W&M has hosted national semifinals in NCAA Division 1-AA, and that was pre-renovation. As W&M is spending the money to make sure they keep up with the Joneses in the CAA, I'm sure it will be plenty suited to host a VHSL game.

Zable Stadium's current capacity - again, prior to the current renovation due to be completed in August - is 12,259. I imagine the new capacity will be over 15,000. In the eight or nine Division 4 or 4A state championship games I've attended, I'd estimate total attendance has never cracked 10,000. Most times, nowhere close. Probably the most was at JMU in '99 with Park View - Salem.

W&M is also used to handling big crowds through big-name concerts in William & Mary Hall (capacity 10,000), and little things like the G7 summit, visits from Queen Elizabeth, etc.

Don't worry, folks. W&M made it through the American Revolution and the Civil War. It can probably weather the storm of two high school football games.

Have you been to Redskins training camp ? It has to be the worst training camp in the NFL, and the Redskins are my favorite team.

Keeping a game local is never a concern of mine. I like to travel. (to good venues). My favorite high school trips are those I have taken to Bluefield . Heck I am traveling this week to Columbia, SC to watch college softball game. Travel has never bothered me in regards to miles traveled.

I have been to Williamsburg once in my life. I was returning to Gretna from Hampton area, and stopped in W'burg for to fill up gas tank. I think it took me 45 minutes to get off and back on I-64. Traffic was terrible.

Why is there a problem with parking? I'm pretty sure if W&M sells out a game for themselves and they have enough parking for them why would there be a problem if the championship game sells out?
There is no problem at W&M and the Championship games never sell out. Never seen the stands at more than 50% capacity for any Championship game at LU (and that's generous). Again, your reasons for not wanting an alternate location are completely self serving.

But it accommodates a professional team and the thousands of fans that come daily to watch them play. Your only motive here is to keep the game local to you.
I currently live down the street from the Redskins Practice Facility. It's literally nothing but two fields behind the museum and Richmond DMV. HORRIBLE! I went there back in August to see RGIII and I got a ticket for when the Texans came to town but my experience was so bad from the day prior, I didn't bother to attend. There's no where to sit and the local business along Boulevard and Leigh Streets charge an arm and a leg to park. As much as I love VCU and Richmond, I have to say that parking in Richmond is atrocious, especially on the weekdays. If you're not from the city and don't know how Richmond parking works, then you could be spending $65-$200 in parking tickets, if you don't pay the $10 to park in the parking garage, which can add up to $50+ if you come to 3-4 sessions, plus price of admission to the sessions, it's very expensive.

I currently live down the street from the Redskins Practice Facility. It's literally nothing but two fields behind the museum and Richmond DMV. HORRIBLE! I went there back in August to see RGIII and I got a ticket for when the Texans came to town but my experience was so bad from the day prior, I didn't bother to attend. There's no where to sit and the local business along Boulevard and Leigh Streets charge an arm and a leg to park. As much as I love VCU and Richmond, I have to say that parking in Richmond is atrocious, especially on the weekdays. If you're not from the city and don't know how Richmond parking works, then you could be spending $65-$200 in parking tickets, if you don't pay the $10 to park in the parking garage, which can add up to $50+ if you come to 3-4 sessions, plus price of admission to the sessions, it's very expensive.
OK. So play at UR. I know they can accommodate the game.

I was in Richmond last week for a meeting. parking was terrible. I fed quarters into a parking meter but there was a 2 hour limit. I left meeting early rather than get ticket or get towed. No offense to those who live in Richmond, but it's a terrible venue for any athletic event. I skip a lot of events there because of the traffic and parking situation. I am confident a lot of others do also.

And my favorite read is when I read the Liberals are afraid to come to Liberty. Richmond is a lot more dangerous than Lynchburg. I researched Murders in both cities recently. Richmond had 41 and Lynchburg 5 for same time frame. Would one feel safer walking down University Blvd in Lynchburg or Broad Street in Richmond ? Not to mention a back ally in Richmond if one did find a parking space.

I think the present format of two games at a venue is perfect. Are there times I wish I could catch a game being played elsewhere? Sure. I would have loved to have seen the 2a and 5a games last year.

But squeezing even three games in, in one day is not the answer. And just forget Sunday games. Never going to happen.

I have to chuckle thinking that if the games had been at W&M for the last few years, and the VHSL wanted to move them to LU. Can you imagine the hell that would be raised?

I've got a novel idea. Why don't we just enjoy watching our kids play a game we all love dearly?

I went last year too. There is no stadium to speak of. No seating to speak of. Only plus is having the food carts. Man, Richmond is full of them and they are AMAZINGLY good!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I went last year too. There is no stadium to speak of. No seating to speak of. Only plus is having the food carts. Man, Richmond is full of them and they are AMAZINGLY good!!
The food carts are amazing! One of the many great things in RVA. The Redskin Training Camp had so many of the local restaurants there with food carts! Minus the August heat,the horrible parking situation and seating, it's a wonderful experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT