ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL Preseason 4a rankings

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
Don't shoot the messenger boys

Last edited:
As we've discussed on here numerous times in the past, I believe VHSL-Reference's rankings are based solely on the final scores of games. And in this particular case, on the scores of last season's games. No mitigating circumstances such as injuries, missing players, points scored in garbage time, etc. are taken into account. And I don't think they have any knowledge of returning players when they do these preseason rankings. I love VHSL-Reference, but I think it serves much better as an historical reference, and as a reflector at season's end, than it does as a predictor during the season.

That said, that looks like a pretty accurate picture of teams that should be top ten quality this season, though I don't know about the order. Louisa, as they always are, is being overrated. I'd probably have Blacksburg in there at number ten. Will Dominion be that good again?

Reactions: mbonape1
As we've discussed on here numerous times in the past, I believe VHSL-Reference's rankings are based solely on the final scores of games. And in this particular case, on the scores of last season's games. No mitigating circumstances such as injuries, missing players, points scored in garbage time, etc. are taken into account. And I don't think they have any knowledge of returning players when they do these preseason rankings. I love VHSL-Reference, but I think it serves much better as an historical reference, and as a reflector at season's end, than it does as a predictor during the season.

That said, that looks like a pretty accurate picture of teams that should be top ten quality this season, though I don't know about the order. Louisa, as they always are, is being overrated. I'd probably have Blacksburg in there at number ten. Will Dominion be that good again?

Well said... The Heritage selection made me think ok these are stock pics. Not that they won't be top 10, but nothing I saw last season or this offseason has them in my top 10 for the pre-season. I agree with Mike I would have had Sherando somewhere in the mix. I am not as down on Louisa as Spartan... I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that they are a top 10 team potentially. I am very high on Job Whalen. But are they better than a Smithfield, or a Kings Fork? IDK. Also, not sure if Poqousen is 4A or not but Matt Hatfield seems to be very high on their QB and them potentially being a factor.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Well said... The Heritage selection made me think ok these are stock pics. Not that they won't be top 10, but nothing I saw last season or this offseason has them in my top 10 for the pre-season. I agree with Mike I would have had Sherando somewhere in the mix. I am not as down on Louisa as Spartan... I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that they are a top 10 team potentially. I am very high on Job Whalen. But are they better than a Smithfield, or a Kings Fork? IDK. Also, not sure if Poqousen is 4A or not but Matt Hatfield seems to be very high on their QB and them potentially being a factor.
I'm pretty sure Poquoson is 2A.

I think Poquoson will be Class 2.

Louisa has had about three or four really good teams ever in their history, and it's been eleven years since the last one. At this point, they're going to have to actually do something notable before I expect them to do so.

I'm not trying to be overly harsh on the Lions, and I don't think I am. Think about it, though. If someone tells you Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie is going to be good, you believe them. If someone tells you "Look out for Louisa", it's gotten to be a boy-who-cries-wolf type of thing.

Poquoson is 2A.

I'm not trying to be overly harsh on the Lions, and I don't think I am. Think about it, though. If someone tells you Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie is going to be good, you believe them. If someone tells you "Look out for Louisa", it's gotten to be a boy-who-cries-wolf type of thing.
I don't think you are being harsh. Louisa is no way a LT or Dinwiddle type of program. I do think we have been very competitive . But this is a new year for everybody . I don't think it's going to be the trick plays, the long passes, the run up the middle or the recovery of fumbles. I think this year it's about which team is the healthiest come December.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore

I have been saying this for years. Not a powerhouse and too much hype. After this year I think hard times maybe coming for the Lions. Lack of depth up front continues to be there problem. What about Eastern View this season how are they going to be?

No way Woodgrove is #5

Why not? I'm asking in a curious, conversational way, not a confrontational way. I would think they'd be considered one of the two or three favorites in Region C, although I can't honestly claim to have any knowledge of their roster. As I've stated a few times in the past, the Wolverines just seem to have built a program that's going to be in the mix, regardless of turnover.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
VHSL Reference is usually a bit off in the beginning as their computer points are based off past performances.

I saw on twitter where a few Blacksburg faithful took offense to their exclusion. The Bruins final rating was a 72.4. That would have been 15th in 4a, thus the exclusion. The funniest part of the post was several thought VHSL Reference was directly related to the VHSL. Lol. Its a computer based ranking Bruins fans. Just like CalPrep and Gilliams Ratings. Pardon the pun, but alll are good references and game predictors once the season is half over.

Now on to Louisa. I understand the opinions of many. Yes, there has been hype and yes the Lions are 24-20 since 2013. The Lions senior class has enjoyed some nice victories and disappointing losses. I look for Louisa to at least duplicate their 8-3 season from a year ago. If they can beat Courtland, Charlottesville and end their two game losing streak to W. Albamarle I wouldnt be suprised if the Lions went unbeaten. They have the talent and could be a force this season. The question is can they get through the first round of the playoffs. A top two seed could be the medicine they need.

We'll be doing our Top Ten Countdown on the site here soon.

Would say that Blacksburg certainly deserves consideration, even with making the move up from 3A. Ton of talent returning from their title winning squad. Several of the coaches I've spoken to even believe they warrant a spot in the upper portion of the Top Ten as well.

VHSL Reference is usually a bit off in the beginning as their computer points are based off past performances.

I saw on twitter where a few Blacksburg faithful took offense to their exclusion. The Bruins final rating was a 72.4. That would have been 15th in 4a, thus the exclusion. The funniest part of the post was several thought VHSL Reference was directly related to the VHSL. Lol. Its a computer based ranking Bruins fans. Just like CalPrep and Gilliams Ratings. Pardon the pun, but alll are good references and game predictors once the season is half over.

Now on to Louisa. I understand the opinions of many. Yes, there has been hype and yes the Lions are 24-20 since 2013. The Lions senior class has enjoyed some nice victories and disappointing losses. I look for Louisa to at least duplicate their 8-3 season from a year ago. If theyHalf of your post was can beat Courtland, Charlottesville and end their two game losing streak to W. Albamarle I wouldnt be suprised if the Lions went unbeaten. They have the talent and could be a force this season. The question is can they get through the first round of the playoffs. A top two seed could be the medicine they need.

You got a "Like" because I can't give you 1/2 of a "Like".

Half of you post was spot on!

DP I understand your hesitancy regarding Louisa, but you know I always call it like I see it no matter the cost. I am not implying the will represent the east in Williamsburg, but I do believe in their seniors and the schedule. If the ball bounces right they could very well be in the hunt. Of course with every team there a variables and the Lions defense could once again be their nemesis.

On another note I happened to be going to the grocery store this morning and saw a hs qb (in brunswick county, nc) working out with his receivers. Not sure of the name of the school, but the kid has a live arm. Thought about offering him, but I have confidence in Peetey Pope. The kids going to do good things for the Generals.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
DP I understand your hesitancy regarding Louisa, but you know I always call it like I see it no matter the cost. I am not implying the will represent the east in Williamsburg, but I do believe in their seniors and the schedule. If the ball bounces right they could very well be in the hunt. Of course with every team there a variables and the Lions defense could once again be their nemesis.

On another note I happened to be going to the grocery store this morning and saw a hs qb (in brunswick county, nc) working out with his receivers. Not sure of the name of the school, but the kid has a live arm. Thought about offering him, but I have confidence in Peetey Pope. The kids going to do good things for the Generals.
I bet it was First Flight HS. I'm not down on Louisa, I'm just like you, try to call em the way I see them. I would love nothing better than for the Lions to haves rip-roaring season. Especially for Coach Fischer.

Reactions: Louisadad
Louisa problem is up front. If they lose any linemen this year they are in serious trouble. Best way to beat Louisa is still to bring the house on them. They will on throw 8-9 times a game and with no break away speed you can run them down and then make them do it again. Teams who have done this in the past have had success. Interesting that's since 2013 Louisa is 24-20 of whom ever posted that is correct. Yes better than my boys...I THINK we are 3-37 I have lost track to be honest

Now on to Louisa. I understand the opinions of many. Yes, there has been hype and yes the Lions are 24-20 since 2013. The Lions senior class has enjoyed some nice victories and disappointing losses. I look for Louisa to at least duplicate their 8-3 season from a year ago. If they can beat Courtland, Charlottesville and end their two game losing streak to W. Albamarle I wouldnt be suprised if the Lions went unbeaten. They have the talent and could be a force this season. The question is can they get through the first round of the playoffs. A top two seed could be the medicine they need.
Just the kids going back and forth Navy. Everyone knows it don't mean anything until we get the pads on. As I would tell them all, save it for the field.

We'll be doing our Top Ten Countdown on the site here soon.

Would say that Blacksburg certainly deserves consideration, even with making the move up from 3A. Ton of talent returning from their title winning squad. Several of the coaches I've spoken to even believe they warrant a spot in the upper portion of the Top Ten as well.

Matt, will your pre-season countdown be available to everyone on the forum, or just those with Premium Membership?

Much like we've done with basketball, we'll probably make #10 free for all six divisions, then spots #9 through #1 will be premium.

I understand. I wish more of the forum members would join up. (Those that don't will really miss some of the best content of the year).

We all greatly enjoy this forum, and everyone needs to remember that Virginia Preps has bills to pay, just like everyone and every business. It's not like Matt is driving around in Cadillac counting his money. The truth is, if you look at the hours he invest as the editor and a writer, he probably makes about .06 cents an hour.

Help him out. And in doing so, help all of us keep "our" forum healthy and growing.

Louisa still has the horses in the stable and a gigantic QB if that is where he ends up again. The lineman only need to sustain a block for a second or two as the misdirection plays and senior leadership at RB will help. Courtland had the same set up the season before where the RB's made most of their yardage. Yes, it helps to have real good line play or road-graders but not always needed for the most part. However, I will agree that if they Louisa have a weakness or ache-lies heal, it will be the line!

I think Poquoson will be Class 2.

Louisa has had about three or four really good teams ever in their history, and it's been eleven years since the last one. At this point, they're going to have to actually do something notable before I expect them to do so.

Louisa problem is up front. If they lose any linemen this year they are in serious trouble. Best way to beat Louisa is still to bring the house on them. They will on throw 8-9 times a game and with no break away speed you can run them down and then make them do it again. Teams who have done this in the past have had success. Interesting that's since 2013 Louisa is 24-20 of whom ever posted that is correct. Yes better than my boys...I THINK we are 3-37 I have lost track to be honest

Louisa still has the horses in the stable and a gigantic QB if that is where he ends up again. The lineman only need to sustain a block for a second or two as the misdirection plays and senior leadership at RB will help. Courtland had the same set up the season before where the RB's made most of their yardage. Yes, it helps to have real good line play or road-graders but not always needed for the most part. However, I will agree that if they Louisa have a weakness or ache-lies heal, it will be the line!

Questions to be answered tonight!

Yeah The big bad JD is so tough 21-7 and Monacan threatening again...alot of game left but once again the best of the Jefferson is not match...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT