ADVERTISEMENT

News VHSL Releases Sports & Activities Plan for 2020-21 + Media Press Conference

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
5ee2af3e3ad7f.image.png

VHSL considering plan with two rounds of state playoffs

https://richmond.com/sports/high-school/vhsl-considering-plan-with-two-rounds-of-state-playoffs/article_0be71589-fccc-58bb-8a79-914fa65825a4.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Now how is each football team going to select their 6 games? Easy opponents, highest class ones, out of district ok, or??? This is going to be real interesting.

For Lafayette here, jettison for sure Bruton, Jamestown and Grafton, combined those three may get 1win. I can see the arguments already.

Now how is each football team going to select their 6 games? Easy opponents, highest class ones, out of district ok, or??? This is going to be real interesting.

For Lafayette here, jettison for sure Bruton, Jamestown and Grafton, combined those three may get 1win. I can see the arguments already.

A solid amount of time to figure it out, though.

Scheduling will be tricky because you can't go all cupcakes because your points won't be high enough but you risk a lot if the schedule is too tough because one loss may cost you the POs. Most teams will be trying to walk a tightrope with this one.

Reactions: Lafayette
The VHSL Executive Committee Meeting on September 23rd will closer assess the State Championship sites for 2021. Of note - Old Dominion University is the new tentative location for the Class 5 & Class 6 Football title games.

EiNhFDlWAAktQ84

The VHSL announces its Sports & Activities Plan for 2020-21, electing to go with Model 3, which means football is scheduled to begin in March. Read more here...

Full VHSL Media Release on Sports & Activities Plan for 2020-21 Here

VHSL Executive Director Dr. Billy Haun spoke at length about the decision for Sports for 2020-21, fielding questions from the media all over the state for 30 minutes. Hear some of it here...

Listen to VHSL Press Conference with Dr. Haun Here
There is NO WAY (IMO) they will play a down of football for the 20-21 season. Not only are you dealing with this virus crap there is NO school that will be able to adhere to the strict protocols and testing that wil be required and in place to play. If for no other reason the cost factor for the testing that will be required. The schools will also have to contend with weather conditions which in southwest VA could be pretty bad which means games cancelled or postponed. There is a reason football at all levels is not played in February, March & April. And then the cherry on top FLU SEASON. I wish they would just stop dangling the carrot. The ONLY way high schools in Va. will play football is if the narrative has changed dramatically. It is ridiculous that neighboring states are playing but we have to have everyone hide in fear.

There is NO WAY (IMO) they will play a down of football for the 20-21 season. Not only are you dealing with this virus crap there is NO school that will be able to adhere to the strict protocols and testing that wil be required and in place to play. If for no other reason the cost factor for the testing that will be required. The schools will also have to contend with weather conditions which in southwest VA could be pretty bad which means games cancelled or postponed. There is a reason football at all levels is not played in February, March & April. And then the cherry on top FLU SEASON. I wish they would just stop dangling the carrot. The ONLY way high schools in Va. will play football is if the narrative has changed dramatically. It is ridiculous that neighboring states are playing but we have to have everyone hide in fear.

I understand your concerns, but I don't think we should talk ourselves into cancellation. Other states are competing safely (without any documented incidence of sports contributing materially to community spread) without a testing regime that you have alluded to.

Just so board knows my reply to school board taken down - parents and student opinions and decisions s will not be respected on this board or in the VHSL - any dissenting opinion from the Chancellor and his minions will be censored

ADVERTISEMENT