ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL sticks it to LT and Lafayette

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
So we are designated the home team for the game on Saturday, but because we are basically traveling the farthest and the other teams are closer they are making us only the home team in uniform only as we will be forced to use the visitors side and visitors locker room. Have never seen a situation where the home team is forced to use the visitors side. When I was at the Navy/OSU game OSU was the away team and even though they had more fans they weren't given the home side of the field. It's fine though usually I try to understand VHSL decisions this one is not cool at all. Locker rooms don't make games or teams, but I have never seen any mess like this before in my life.

tumblr_mqu8ssjlgM1qcu3vno1_500.gif

Devils, your post seems, to me, a bit of a straw dog. I just found out today that we would be the visitors. Every indication I had up until today was that their was a rotation and since Dinwiddie was home team last year Salem would be home team this year. When you figure out what motivates the VHSL, let me know. I assure you it ain't "sticking it to anyone" unless of course you are including every team governed by the VHSL.
GO SALEM
GO MULES

These games should NOT be in Lynchburg anyway

This location is way too far for all the 3a/ 4a tidewater area teams- 3- 5 hours one way. These need to be moved to a more central location like Richmond or at least Charlottesville.

This post was edited on 12/11 10:51 AM by Lafayette

Wilson Memorial will be the home team in 2A at Salem this Saturday, but seeing as though Glenvar is from Salem, they are giving Glenvar the home stands. Haven't heard anyone from Wilson Memorial say anything negative about it.

Richmond

Nothing decent enough here. UR stadium is too small and City Stadium is a dump to be kind. Then again the Siegal Center is to small for 4A-5A-6A bb.

Agree with you 100 percent that if you are the Home team then you should be on the home side, this shows a lack of fairness by the vhsl. Total BS. I just dont agree with how they chose the Home team. Wonder whose decision and where this came from? Had to be a spark for the fire, correct?

Wow, it appears the address for Glenvar High School is listed as

4549 Malus Dr
Salem, VA 24153

Directly from the website of Roanoke County Public Schools. I didn't say they were within city limits, just that they're from Salem.

http://www.rcs.k12.va.us/glhs/

Post office address only. Glenvar in Roanoke county. Salem is a separate and independent city two separate governmental units and school systems.I do understand your confusion but locally people say they are from glenvar if they live in that part of Roanoke county. You have to live in salem to be from salem. Federal government just puts your address to closest post office.

This post was edited on 12/11 12:26 PM by southbottomU

It's just one game

It's once a year that you have to make this trip. Not to mention it is the state championship game. If your a real fan, the game could played on mars and you would go support your team. 3 and half hours is not that bad. Look at schools like Abingdon in far SW Va, they had to travel to Broadway, about an hour from the VA-MD border, it was about a 5-6 hour trip for a first round game, they didn't complain. LU has a great facility, better than any in Richmond or Tidewater. Until you find a better place for the kids to play and for VHSL, a place with the right price. The game should stay at LU. Great experience for kids to play in that size stadium.

Nope. As you probably know cities in va. Are independent from the surrounding county or counties. Glenvar is in Roanoke county even though their nearest post office is in Salem (thus the address confusion). You probably would not include gretna as part of Chatham or altivista would ya?

This post was edited on 12/11 12:36 PM by southbottomU

Re: It's just one game

Liberty is a facility is fine, but since 3a and is split east -west now why not alternate with the stadium at William & Mary- soon to be completely renovated ? Btw the advance ticket sales at Lafayette HS as of noon today is only 63 tickets!

Apparently someone isn't getting the word out.

I believe a school gets to keep one dollar for every advance ticket sold

LU Stadium doesn't matter

It's probably nicer than any place either team has played before. I have been in both locker rooms. Both are excellent. The visitors locker room was LU's "home" locker room until a few years ago when they built the new one.

Re: Excellent post

I always thought the higher seeds play at home as a reward for their accomplishments. Big travel for some of these opponents is expected .Going to a larger facility for the final makes sense but going 200-300 miles each way for Lake Taylor & Lafayette is a bit much . Great for all the Lynchburg, Salem, Roanoke, etc , schools to have the finals in their backyard every year. But as I can tell by the posts on here , most from SW Va I might as well be talking to the wall.

Not enough interest this year even to fill an adult bus like in 2001/2002. MV will have a ton more fans so they do deserve the home side. Maybe the live streaming is affecting ticket sales . I may change my mind at the last minute and do the streaming.

You guys brought very few fans to 98 state championship game vs Salem. I thought that was a terrible place to have a state championship game.

No the problem is you're argument is move the games closer to ME and away from Central Virginia. Look Lynchburg is about a central as you can get in Virginia as far as travel times. You can be just about anywhere in Virginia from Lynchburg in 4/5 hours; Bristol, Norfolk, Alexandria, parts of the eastern shore. And if it takes you 4.5 hours to get to Lynchburg from Williamsburg, you're doing it wrong. (I can get to my family house in Virginia Beach in less time that that from Lynchburg.) Also, it's to 196 miles from Lake Taylor to LU, so if you're directions say 300 miles, you're not going to the right place.

This post was edited on 12/11 12:54 PM by MrJ82

My Mapquest says 190 miles and 3 hours 1 minute going 64/29 the fastest route. Norfolk is another 50 or miles. So say 250-60 miles for LT. As I am talking about 3a& 4a tidewater schools I am afraid you are wrong to say Lynchburg is central us and the same classification in the west . Most are within an hour and a half of Lynchburg. But I am sure nothing will change anyway so..,,,,,

Lynchburg is about as center of state as you can get. LU stadium is the nearest stadium to center of state.

As for higher seeds, come state championship game, they mean nothing.

Hey guy- I was there in 98 in Bridgewater college. Still remember that huge Salem band, something else ! Also remember the Salem team - big and the best I have seen.

Originally posted by Lafayette:
My Mapquest says 190 miles and 3 hours 1 minute going 64/29 the fastest route. Norfolk is another 50 or miles. So say 250-60 miles for LT. As I am talking about 3a& 4a tidewater schools I am afraid you are wrong to say Lynchburg is central us and the same classification in the west . Most are within an hour and a half of Lynchburg. But I am sure nothing will change anyway so..,,,,,
Mapquest = doing it wrong.

This post was edited on 12/11 4:01 PM by HoosFan05

Google Maps

LU Stadium is the best venue in the state for a championship game. No other facility even comes close.

Right I know that route. (Travel on business to the area several times a year ) but getting to 460 from here and the initial traffic lights slows it down a lot . That is why the 2 travel times are about the same and 30 miles different, Richmond is a traffic clog!

First off, Lake Taylor High School to LU is 230 miles via 64E to 29S to LU exit. ( But then you've got to deal with the tunnel and the continual constructions zone that is 64 in Hampton/Newport News, so I'd advise Norfolk people to got 460 all the way (and like I said I live south of Lynchburg and grew up in Virginia Beach and still have a family house there and have drove all the ways to Virginia Beach). For LHS people I'd advise 64 to 29.. - and for the LT fans, the speed limit on 460 means the speed limit.

Secondly, for 4A, sure but 3A's go all the way down to Abingdon and all the way up north in Virginia.

William and Mary is NO WHERE near middle of the state. You've got to have a facility that can hold the games and you want them "central" for any possible teams, since VHSL has to book the venues well before the start of the season and well before any idea who is going to be playing. Richmond might be a little closer for that side of the state but further for this side (as Lynchburg is) and I don't think anywhere in Richmond has a good of facilities as LU. I am by no means a LU fan or supporter but I will say their facilities (other than the Vines Center) are very, very good. Their football field is really nice. So, I can understand why VHSL picks LU to host games.

This post was edited on 12/11 1:33 PM by MrJ82

They changed to give the higher seeded team the home side which we are, but because we are playing close to Salem we wear home stuff but use visitors side and locker room. Then they should have just made Salem the home team and rewarded them for playing close to home. Complete BS by VHSL

I don't know how bad travel would be on a Saturday morning, take the toll road to 460 and then there is only a handful of lights before you're out of town. Though I'd still say take 64 to 29.

Your right , I will stay with 64/29 and go a little over the limit to make up some time- 460 on a Saturday probably is ok but I will avoid as bring too chancy . Got my ticket, gas up tomorrow night and pack my lunch and head for the parking lot next to the stadium and see how the game goes. Optimistic but who ever really knows in football!

Dude, you try to make a point about Glenvar being Salem due to postal codes......then you say I wouldn't want Gretna associated with Chatham or Altavista.....All three of those places you named have a post office, which serves many places that are outside of the town limits. I'm not arguing with you any longer. You wanna say you're right, then go for it.

Good I am glad you finally have it straight. Always feels good to stamp out ignorance. By the way salem isn't a town either.

This post was edited on 12/11 2:23 PM by southbottomU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT