ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL ?

Apr 21, 2017
Please move the semis and finals back to Richmond . The playoffs have been a complete cluster !! You couldn't make plans because you never knew where or what day you were going to play. There is no consistency from region to region . At least last year you knew that you were playing at VA HIGH .

I agree, use some of the local schools in the area to host semi-final games or have two sites but Virginia can do better

A Region Runner-up should not have home court advantage over a Region Championship, especially with a 13-13 record compared to a 27-2 record. You tell me who should have to travel 3 hrs as supposed to 10 mins...?

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Stonewall Jackson is the Region B champion. The bracket that was published more than a month ago indicated if 2 region champs met in the state semifinals the team in the upper bracket would be the "host." The brackets will flip-flop next year with the Region A champion being in the higher bracket.

Reactions: mmqp
Stonewall Jackson is the Region B champion. The bracket that was published more than a month ago indicated if 2 region champs met in the state semifinals the team in the upper bracket would be the "host." The brackets will flip-flop next year with the Region A champion being in the higher bracket.

I doubt it... I mean, a 6 year system that was in place last year lasted only 1 year. Lol

After all the complaining this week alone, the system will get shaken up again next year. The TSSAA has the perfect system, if only the morons in Richmond would just choose to follow it.

Reactions: afitnupe75
Hey havok-

Do the girls still play their state tourney at the Murphy Center? (Class of '88 btw!)

and the boys used to play their state tourney in Nashville (I think at the Municipal Auditorium-which I don't know is even still standing today?)

This would never catch on and I am sure money would be the main reason, but I think it could work to move the entire state tournament, even the quarter-finals, to Charlottesville. First of all, it is about as centrally located as you can get in the state. Yes, there would still be some schools that would have a 4-5 hour trip (Eastern Shore and far Southwest corner) but those folks are always going to have long trips.

Now here is what makes my idea feasible, at least to my pea-sized brain. The tournament could be stretched out to two weeks if need be. There are four facilities that I can think of in the Greater Charlottesville area that could be utilized. There is of course JPJ. Then there is U-Hall, which I presume can still be used for basketball. And there are two larger than average high school gyms within 15 miles that could be used as well...Monticello and Western Albemarle. Each still hosts regional action these days. Never having been to either Albemarle or Charlottesville High Schools, I don't know if they could help out or not.

With that many facilities and some creative planning, it could be done, even including the girls in all six divisions. Of course the fact that I live 30 miles from Charlottesville has NOTHING to do with the appeal of this idea! (Wink wink!)

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Hey havok-

Do the girls still play their state tourney at the Murphy Center? (Class of '88 btw!)

and the boys used to play their state tourney in Nashville (I think at the Municipal Auditorium-which I don't know is even still standing today?)

This would never catch on and I am sure money would be the main reason, but I think it could work to move the entire state tournament, even the quarter-finals, to Charlottesville. First of all, it is about as centrally located as you can get in the state. Yes, there would still be some schools that would have a 4-5 hour trip (Eastern Shore and far Southwest corner) but those folks are always going to have long trips.

Now here is what makes my idea feasible, at least to my pea-sized brain. The tournament could be stretched out to two weeks if need be. There are four facilities that I can think of in the Greater Charlottesville area that could be utilized. There is of course JPJ. Then there is U-Hall, which I presume can still be used for basketball. And there are two larger than average high school gyms within 15 miles that could be used as well...Monticello and Western Albemarle. Each still hosts regional action these days. Never having been to either Albemarle or Charlottesville High Schools, I don't know if they could help out or not.

With that many facilities and some creative planning, it could be done, even including the girls in all six divisions. Of course the fact that I live 30 miles from Charlottesville has NOTHING to do with the appeal of this idea! (Wink wink!)

Yep, the round of 16 (also known as the sectional or substate to others) is played at the regional winners. Quarterfinals through the finals are played at MTSU's Murphy Center.

I could agree with this @longtimerhsfan ... or better yet Cassell. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT