ADVERTISEMENT

Video of final play of Louisa/Western Albemarle game

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
Since the Daily Progress wants to make it seem like the last play was a devastating hit on Hearn, well after he handed off the ball that ended up injuring him, here is video of the play.

https://goo.gl/fmsuCe

Last edited:
Since the Daily Progress wants to make it seem like the last play was a devastating hit on Hearn well after he handed off the ball that ended up injuring him, here is video of the play.

Yea it sounded like he just got blindsided, but this didn't look bad at all. The defender made a legit hit, if offense is still playing why should the defense stop playing. Just a fluke injury. Why even put yourself in that position to get hurt when the game was already decided.

Plus it was an option play. You're eligible to hit the QB whether he has the ball or not, and it wasn't a "late" hit at all.

Last edited:
I'm getting old so didn't really trust my eyes but in fact the kid leaves his feet and launches his body high at the qb's head. He makes no attempt at what would be considered a tackle.

That was targeting. He led with his helmet and hit the QB in the head. The ref saw it, and threw a flag. However, Western's QB should not have been in the game with a 41-19 lead and still trying to score with 15 seconds left. Western should have just taken a knee.

Yeah, y'all better get those eyes checked. The defender's hands and chest went into the QB's shoulder, and he let up. That could've been a much worse hit. Led with his helmet? LOL PLEASE! But then again, I'm watching it on a 60" TV.

Last edited:
It did not look like a devasting hit but he did leave his feet. Qb should not have been in the game that late, or better move would have been to take a knee. You win with class and western still has their qb next week.

Especially with the way Hearn had been getting hit all night. That final play was the end result of him taking many (legit) big hits, and he should've been taken out by that point.

Ref made the correct call. If he never got off the ground it would have been nothing at all. Not a devastating hit by any means but it often doesn't take a lot.

Of course in the end there's no reason WA's first string should have been in there trying to tack on another 6 before the game ends. Blame is on coach for sure, got reckless and his kids paid the price.

Yeah, y'all better get those eyes checked. The defender's hands and chest went into the QB's shoulder, and he let up. That could've been a much worse hit. Led with his helmet? LOL PLEASE! But then again, I'm watching it on a 60" TV.
Not as bad as thought but launched and helmet to helmet is accurate. He did have a right to hit the QB. I would do the same as the refs. Personal foul, no ejection. Thanks for the clip.

Zach Bradshaw a MLB from UVA was just ejected on Syracuse's first touchdown in overtime for a play exactly like this on his hit on Syracuse's QB. For Targeting. Watching the video again, the kid in the high school game left an open wr to the left uncovered (either his responsibility or the safety behind him) to blitz to make the hit and even Louisa's coach is pointing at them before the play like what are you doing? This doesn't look good any way you look at it.

It was not #2's responsibility to cover that player. He hasn't covered receivers all year and always blitzes. To me it's obvious there was no helmet to helmet contact. The only thing Hearn's helmet hit was the ground, which gave him the concussion. Would you rather for #2 to hit him low around the waist/legs or up high? Again, it was an option play so there's always the chance the QB still has the ball, so you hit the QB. Should he have lept? No. Did he pull back? Yes. I have no problem with the official's call, but it's only blown out of proportion because it's a Western kid and he got hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: one man
It was not #2's responsibility to cover that player. He hasn't covered receivers all year and always blitzes. To me it's obvious there was no helmet to helmet contact. The only thing Hearn's helmet hit was the ground, which gave him the concussion. Would you rather for #2 to hit him low around the waist/legs or up high? Again, it was an option play so there's always the chance the QB still has the ball, so you hit the QB. Should he have lept? No. Did he pull back? Yes. I have no problem with the official's call, but it's only blown out of proportion because it's a Western kid and he got hurt.
Hoos I agree actually. I don't think it was intentional. I think it was just alot of bad mojo at the end of the game meaning everything had to go wrong for that situation to happen. If I am up 41-19 with a minute in the game I take a knee with my starting qb in. The only way I run a play is if my twos are in the game. If western put their twos in then you would think Louisa would start putting their twos in and maybe this situation would not have happened for western. Of course it is always easier to say this in hindsight and from the standd. Football is a contact sport and injuries happen unfortunately. No one wants them to but they do. Hopefully the qb bounces back in two weeks. They won't need him against us.

Since the Daily Progress wants to make it seem like the last play was a devastating hit on Hearn, well after he handed off the ball that ended up injuring him, here is video of the play.

nothing wrong with the play! with the lead they had the game was over so why didn't the WA coach have his starters out and just take a knee! looks like he was being sneaky and by handing off wanted to score again. i see this too much by todays coaches! play the back ups in blow outs as they deserve to play by all summer going through hot two a days and dedicated by not much PT but always ready on the sidelines! Serbay of JM and Jeff Smith are famous for playing a lot of back ups in blow outs! he should have shown class with a back up QB and just kneel down on the field and go home with a win and no one hurt!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Here it is in slow motion.

xuUPHSZ.gif

Also Hoos, I attended the game, What about the Louisa onsides kickoff where a Louisa player closest to their sideline lines up #18, (the qb, who was also closest to the Louisa sideline) from the back and takes a running start and spears him in the back? The ball was kicked 40 yards from #18 on the other side of the field and already blown dead and he was walking towards their sideline. Saw that one from the Louisa sideline.

No disrespect but this slo-mo made it look to me like the WA QB was out before he ever hit the ground. IMO. Also, I can't fathom how you do not see helmet to helmet contact or targeting. The kid had plenty of time to tackle properly. Shoulder in the belly button, wrap the thighs and drive. There would have been no penalty if he had done that.

Karma, nothing good ever comes from things like that. Say what you want Louisa fans, I was at the game and on your sideline with a friend from Louisa
Leading up to this game, I heard Western couldnt stop the run and they did, and Louisa would stifle the Western offense and they didnt. Neither one of the statements held true
Western stifled the Lions and Western had there way with the Lions. One question for Louisa fans, Your coaches know it is legal to throw the ball on 3rd and 8 and 4th and 5?
Might be time to bury the Ole' singlewing, there is a reason no one runs it anymore.

Reactions: hamspear
Also Hoos, I attended the game, What about the Louisa onsides kickoff where a Louisa player closest to their sideline lines up #18, (the qb, who was also closest to the Louisa sideline) from the back and takes a running start and spears him in the back? The ball was kicked 40 yards from #18 on the other side of the field and already blown dead and he was walking towards their sideline. Saw that one from the Louisa sideline.
Good coaches always teach players to HIT SOMEBODY on special teams, no matter where on the field. The play was not already blown dead, but yeah the type of hit was unwarranted if they were playing pop warner ball. Are you sure you were there?

Last edited:
No disrespect but this slo-mo made it look to me like the WA QB was out before he ever hit the ground. IMO. Also, I can't fathom how you do not see helmet to helmet contact or targeting. The kid had plenty of time to tackle properly. Shoulder in the belly button, wrap the thighs and drive. There would have been no penalty if he had done that.
So you'd rather he get driven to the ground, so an even bigger stink would be made about it? The kid let up when he was certain the QB didn't have the ball. If the QB fell like that and did NOT get hurt, one would think he's a good actor and nothing would've come of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Karma, nothing good ever comes from things like that. Say what you want Louisa fans, I was at the game and on your sideline with a friend from Louisa
Leading up to this game, I heard Western couldnt stop the run and they did, and Louisa would stifle the Western offense and they didnt. Neither one of the statements held true
Western stifled the Lions and Western had there way with the Lions. One question for Louisa fans, Your coaches know it is legal to throw the ball on 3rd and 8 and 4th and 5?
Might be time to bury the Ole' singlewing, there is a reason no one runs it anymore.
WA played like a very good team out to prove they're for real and poised to make a deep run. Hard to dispute that. But since you were on Louisa's sideline, you wouldn't have seen or heard Western's sideline cheering when a Louisa player fell and his head hit the ground, or saying things like "get his ass off the field" or "another one bites the dust". Karma indeed! Perspective.

Hard to throw it when the line isn't protecting long enough to throw it. Maybe you should apply for the Louisa job and coach 'em up!

Yeah, only Louisa, Stone Bridge, Giles, Amherst, Broad Run, and more run the single wing, and that's just in VA. Three of those five teams have state titles, and the fourth a runner up running it....

Last edited:
You can be defensive and that's totally okay with me, I didn't have a dog in the fight, I do believe the state title teams ran the WING T. Broad Run, Amherst ran the Wing T, that I am certain of. Instead of going tit for tat and making excuses as discussed by several other posters, understand the game is played between the lines, whatever was said on the other sideline or on your sideline, the fact remains, that team was one dimensional and that dimension got shut down. The teams that won state titles actually threw the ball with a QB not an athletic kid who runs and can throw occasionally. Say what you want but one dimensional teams don't go very far, my friend there is no real QB on your roster... That is the difference in a singlewing offense that is effective and a pop warner offense. I am only stating my opinion but not knowing either one of the teams, I would say Louisa was out coached on Friday.

Reactions: hamspear
You can be defensive and that's totally okay with me, I didn't have a dog in the fight, I do believe the state title teams ran the WING T. Broad Run, Amherst ran the Wing T, that I am certain of. Instead of going tit for tat and making excuses as discussed by several other posters, understand the game is played between the lines, whatever was said on the other sideline or on your sideline, the fact remains, that team was one dimensional and that dimension got shut down. The teams that won state titles actually threw the ball with a QB not an athletic kid who runs and can throw occasionally. Say what you want but one dimensional teams don't go very far, my friend there is no real QB on your roster... That is the difference in a singlewing offense that is effective and a pop warner offense. I am only stating my opinion but not knowing either one of the teams, I would say Louisa was out coached on Friday.
I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about throwing it. But you saw what happened when we tried to throw, pressure was immediately in the QB's face almost every time. Plus what you saw against Western was something we brought out for Western and hadn't done all year. We had been throwing it more before that game, running the single wing, Pistol, and Pistol I. But Amherst ran the triple option when they won some of those titles, and run some single wing today. Broad Run mixed in the single wing when they won their titles, and ran it against us in 2010. Yeah those teams that won titles all had consistently good passing QBs with good size. We haven't had one since Kire Worley in 2010.

Last edited:
Hard to win a state championship without a passing game, or at least the threat of one. Usually when a team gets deep into playoffs, they face a team that can play run defense. Lot of teams run over weaker teams during regular season and crash and burn come playoff time because they can't (or will not) throw the ball.

So you'd rather he get driven to the ground, so an even bigger stink would be made about it? The kid let up when he was certain the QB didn't have the ball. If the QB fell like that and did NOT get hurt, one would think he's a good actor and nothing would've come of it.
He had a right to tackle the QB. There would have been no stink if tackled properly, nor would there have been a penalty. Hopefully, the Coach s aren't actually teaching the kids to tackle as this guy did. This was targeting, pure and simple. Flag comes out every time for that.

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said about throwing it. But you saw what happened when we tried to throw, pressure was immediately in the QB's face every time. Plus what you saw against Western was something we brought out for Western and hadn't done all year. We had been throwing it more before that game, running the single wing, Pistol, and Pistol I. But Amherst ran the triple option when they won some of those titles, and run some single wing today. Broad Run mixed in the single wing when they won their titles, and ran it against us in 2010. Yeah those teams that won titles all had consistently good passing QBs with good size. We haven't had one since Kire Worley in 2010, unless you know of one currently on our roster.
@CMONMANN and after Louisa's scoring drive in the 3rd quarter, they still moved the ball. Most of their big plays were called back for holding, and they fumbled a few times. After WA went up 27-19, Louisa made it to WA's 25 and got caught holding, then passed on 3rd and 4th downs. I'm not sure that's getting out-coached or needing to drop the single wing. Louisa's inconsistent defense and turnovers were more of the issues in this game than anything else.

Last edited:
Zach Bradshaw a MLB from UVA was just ejected on Syracuse's first touchdown in overtime for a play exactly like this on his hit on Syracuse's QB. For Targeting. Watching the video again, the kid in the high school game left an open wr to the left uncovered (either his responsibility or the safety behind him) to blitz to make the hit and even Louisa's coach is pointing at them before the play like what are you doing? This doesn't look good any way you look at it.
He was pointing because Western only had 6 guys on the line of scrimmage

I think that about nails it for Louisa. Plenty of potential there but untimely penalties and mistakes will hurt any team. GL against Monticello.

See @shauntclair now you know (along with others I have had conversations with on here through PM) why I always believe in those guys and post about them, and that I don't just spew nonsense for no reason. Now that you have come to a game and seen them play for the first time in years, you know. I just wish the defense had played as well on 3rd and 4th downs as they did on 1st and 2nd. They were Jekyll and Hyde.

Last edited:
See @shauntclair now you know (along with others I have had conversations with on here through PM) why I always believe in those guys and post about them, and that I don't just spew nonsense for no reason. Now that you have come to a game and seen them play for the first time in years, you know. I just wish the defense had played as well on 3rd and 4th downs as they did on 1st and 2nd. They were Jekyll and Hyde.
I can understand the frustration. In looking back, the Lions were in every game they played this season but something happened, usually in the 2nd half, where they let it get away from them. They should have won more games. LouisaDad pretty much lamented the same thing last year. The Lions are good. They have some fine players. I saw it myself. They just have to learn how to finish and understand it takes the full 48 to win. Yes, definitely some Jekyl and Hyde moments where they can be rolling strong and suddenly step on a land mine. I don't know how you Coach that out. Just glad it's not my job.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
I can understand the frustration. In looking back, the Lions were in every game they played this season but something happened, usually in the 2nd half, where they let it get away from them. They should have won more games. LouisaDad pretty much lamented the same thing last year. The Lions are good. They have some fine players. I saw it myself. They just have to learn how to finish and understand it takes the full 48 to win. Yes, definitely some Jekyl and Hyde moments where they can be rolling strong and suddenly step on a land mine. I don't know how you Coach that out. Just glad it's not my job.
" the a Lions were in every game they played this season" ----- false statement.

Ooooh. My bad. Against Sherando, the Lions were behind 35 - 0 until they got a garbage TD in the 4th. Stand corrected. No, Louisa was not in that game.

CMONMAN, maybe Louisa wasn't out coached, it's possible that they just aren't as good as originally thought. They haven't won a playoff game since 2011. In the last 16 years they've won 5 playoff games, 3 of those being in 2006. Only 3 years out of 16 winning a playoff game? Seems like they are over-hyped and overrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT