ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Beach could be first regional school district to add lacrosse

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
Virginia Beach could be first regional school district to add lacrosse as a sport. But principals say slow the roll.
MSJ7ZN47BJGWNAKP6L6E42WT5Q.jpg

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/education/vp-nw-virginia-beach-lacrosse-20200120-skxsdywajzdq7k4xuvyqpemw5e-story.html

I'm a bit surprised the Hampton Roads area hasn't already bought into lacrosse already.

I watched my first lacrosse games during Penn State's title run last season. It's fast paced and probably the most exciting Spring Sport that doesn't get the hype they deserve. If youth soccer organizations like AYSO could add a Lacrosse program to their organization popularity of the sport would skyrocket in a few years.

I'm a bit surprised the Hampton Roads area hasn't already bought into lacrosse already.

I watched my first lacrosse games during Penn State's title run last season. It's fast paced and probably the most exciting Spring Sport that doesn't get the hype they deserve. If youth soccer organizations like AYSO could add a Lacrosse program to their organization popularity of the sport would skyrocket in a few years.
it is really hyped in the RVa area. except for the inner city schools almost all others public and private schools have boys and girls teams. Lax has replaced soccer as the new sexy suburban sport. In fact some are concerned about boys choosing Lax over football.

Reactions: Go_Cometss
it is really hyped in the RVa area. except for the inner city schools almost all others public and private schools have boys and girls teams. Lax has replaced soccer as the new sexy suburban sport. In fact some are concerned about boys choosing Lax over football.
It's hyped up over in Lynchburg also. The only way the Piedmont District would catch on to the trend is if Henry County would modify one of the Smith River Complex fields for lacrosse, which shouldn't be expensive to do. A lot of the parents in the area want their kids to stick to baseball, especially in the Dixie Baseball region of Halifax. I wouldn't mind to play the sport if they offered it at AYSO years ago

The most exciting high school sports event I've ever been to was the 2015 Division 6 Lacrosse State Championship between Chantilly and James Robinson. Robinson's FOGO had a high ankle sprain but he was lightning quick on the face offs. He basically won something like 95% of the faceoffs and then he'd crawl off the field each time. Chantilly jumped out 4-0 quick and Robinson clawed back. With ~1 minute left Robinson was down two goals. They were able to tie it up thanks in no small part to their FOGO. Sudden death overtime and the goalies for both teams made save after save, an extremely intense atmosphere, Robinson finally scored in double OT to bring home their 2nd of 3 straight state titles. They walked the dog the next season beating James River 14-2, but JR had knocked off some top notch teams from NoVa to get to that game.

Move from club to varsity status "would change everything" for lacrosse teams
images

More than 1,000 players are registered in HRLax's boys and girls divisions, which include varsity and junior varsity teams. Those public school lacrosse teams in Hampton Roads compete at the "club" level, and everything – postseason, administration and fundraising – is handled by about 200 volunteers. Coaches, statisticians and program managers are unpaid. Only A.J. Smith, the commissioner of the boys league, is considered a full-time employee.

The league's goal, though, is to follow Northern Virginia and a group of Richmond-area schools within the past 10 years and achieve VHSL recognition. The VHSL provides standards in the form of eligibility and bylaws, along with sanctioning championships at the region and state level.

https://www.pilotonline.com/757teamz/article_f9d5bb56-4193-11e8-a1c0-770b24ac680e.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT