2) Graham
3) Appomattox
4) East Rockingham
5) Poquoson
6) Glenvar 7) Goochland
8) Robert E. Lee-Staunton
9) Richlands
10) Ridgeview

My comments: Central at number 1 is understandable with all that they return. If Graham is a legit number 2, then Bluefield, WV must be the caliber of, say, a Lafayette. Appomattox is still the champ until another team proves they've got what it takes to take what they've got. Don't know enough about East Rockingham to evaluate them at number 4. After watching Poquoson play Southampton, ranked number 10 in 3A by VirginiaPreps, the Islanders are a legit state title contender. No Union in the top ten is a real surprise. And Gretna looks like they are going to be a real force this year.

Last edited:
My comments: Central at number 1 is understandable with all that they return. If Graham is a legit number 2, then Bluefield, WV must be the caliber of, say, a Lafayette. Appomattox is still the champ until another team proves they've got what it takes to take what they've got. Don't know enough about East Rockingham to evaluate them at number 4. After watching Poquoson play Southampton, ranked number 10 in 3A by VirginiaPreps, the Islanders are a legit state title contender. No Union in the top ten is a real surprise. And Gretna looks like they are going to be a real force this year.

Agree on all points. And yes, I bet Bluefield could beat Lafayette. They play Richlands 9/28. That might be worth watching for anyone that's in the area, no matter who your team is.

Reactions: islandersfan
Agree on all points. And yes, I bet Bluefield could beat Lafayette. They play Richlands 9/28. That might be worth watching for anyone that's in the area, no matter who your team is.

I’m a Richlands fan through and through. Bluefield by at least 17 on 9/28 as of right now.

They are that good.

Agree on all points. And yes, I bet Bluefield could beat Lafayette.

I don't. Lafayette beats Bluefield by 7 pts this year. Last year, Lafayette would win by 17 in something like 34-17, and I saw both. Lets wait and see what Bluefield and Lord Botetourt do. I know Bluefield and Graham are a rival game, but Bluefields' closest contest last year was Graham in which Graham fumbles at the one foot line or they win the game. Graham went on to get blown out against Union in the regional championship and Graham didn't even make it to the state semi's. Bluefield won the AA state championship. The schedule strength of Bluefield normally is not good, outside of course of Graham and Richlands. That's the two ONLY opponents they play that are tough. Of course, this year, Lord Botty comes on the schedule. Bluefield is a fantastic team, but again, I'm not crowning them King. Haven't seen Appo this year, but I would bet, line both of em up right now on a neutral field, and Appo has everyone mad and angry again when the game is over. LOL. Also, since the top was VaPreps Top 10, I got Appomattox now at first in my opinion. Appo is the real deal again.

Totally agree...they looked really, really good! Of course, it remains to be seen how well Southampton does this season, but they'll likely be solid.

Hicks had a great game...as they say, the kid is good! Schmidt was a beast...even scored a touchdown on a nice pass play. Looks like Barrett put on some needed weight, but may have lost a bit of quickness...still a force, though. Overall, an impressive performance by Poquoson....

Schmidt is absolutely explosive off the ball. When the ball is snapped, he's already a step ahead of the opponent. Barrett is an absolute vicious hitter. Hicks will/should be in contention for the 2A player of the year. With the wing, he's going to put up huge numbers with those carries. He may finish over 2000 yds in rushing. Schmidt should also be in contention as he could start for any team in Va at any level, but it's hard to get a nod for POY when playing up front. I still can't believe he's out there. Thought he graduated. That's double trouble for opponents because that means he has another baseball season left. He may end up in the bigs with his baseball skill set. Just a freakish athlete.

Reactions: LHS Rams
Great stuff, lucus...completely agree w/everything, although I didn't know Schmidt was that good in baseball.

You back in town? If so, make sure you catch the Warhill game...should be a good one!

LHS, I knew Warhill would be better and sure enough, they are. The held Heritage to less than 175 total yds and racked up nearly 250 on the ground. My Virginia HS player of the week (don't care what level). It wasn't Hicks and his impressive 5 TDs for the Bulls, it has to be Noah Holmes 8 QB sacks on the Heritage QB. That's right....I didn't write that Warhill had 8 sacks on Heritage. It's not a misquote! Noah Holmes of Warhill (likely ODU bound) sacked the QB 8 dam* times in a 4 quarter football game! That is just plain...........stupid. This is another kid I have no idea why VT didn't offer. He's a baller and a stud linebacker.

If Hicks does rush for 2000 yards, he'll be the second player from Poquoson to reach that lofty benchmark, with of course, Zidenberg being the only one to attain it thus far. I always felt that Cody Hutchison was a probable 2000 yarder for Poquoson in 2010 had he got more touches, but they simply had a loaded backfield.

Back to last Friday's game, besides the obvious standouts, Parker made good decisions at QB and has seemingly matured at his position. And that was a just beautiful ball he threw to Hicks down the sideline for a TD.

One other note - Sneddon, Poquoson's new kicker, a freshman according to the roster, gets the best elevation on the ball while kicking PAT's that I've seen from a Poquoson kicker. Hard to block, and that can make all the difference in a tight, crucial game. And he was just money last Friday, so hats off to him.

LHS, I knew Warhill would be better and sure enough, they are. The held Heritage to less than 175 total yds and racked up nearly 250 on the ground. My Virginia HS player of the week (don't care what level). It wasn't Hicks and his impressive 5 TDs for the Bulls, it has to be Noah Holmes 8 QB sacks on the Heritage QB. That's right....I didn't write that Warhill had 8 sacks on Heritage. It's not a misquote! Noah Holmes of Warhill (likely ODU bound) sacked the QB 8 dam* times in a 4 quarter football game! That is just plain...........stupid. This is another kid I have no idea why VT didn't offer. He's a baller and a stud linebacker.

Yes, Holmes is the real deal...don't want to get caught looking ahead, but Poquoson's next three games should be wins, the first two w/relative ease. Then, Mr. Holmes and Warhill come to town, but I'm sure Coach Duty will have Poquoson focused each week, as not to overlook anyone.

If Hicks does rush for 2000 yards, he'll be the second player from Poquoson to reach that lofty benchmark, with of course, Zidenberg being the only one to attain it thus far. I always felt that Cody Hutchison was a probable 2000 yarder for Poquoson in 2010 had he got more touches, but they simply had a loaded backfield.

Back to last Friday's game, besides the obvious standouts, Parker made good decisions at QB and has seemingly matured at his position. And that was a just beautiful ball he threw to Hicks down the sideline for a TD.

One other note - Sneddon, Poquoson's new kicker, a freshman according to the roster, gets the best elevation on the ball while kicking PAT's that I've seen from a Poquoson kicker. Hard to block, and that can make all the difference in a tight, crucial game. And he was just money last Friday, so hats off to him.

Could Hicks be the best overall athlete they've ever had in football?

Yes, Parker does look comfortable running the show...very solid.

Sneddon has a bright future...just needs to speed things up a bit, which I'm sure will come.

They had a Mconnell kid a few years ago that was also a pretty good athlete. I think he played baseball as well.

They had a Mconnell kid a few years ago that was also a pretty good athlete. I think he played baseball as well.

Taylor played in college somewhere I think.. Speaking of baseball, I've heard (don't quote me on this) that Hunter Schmidt has an offer from Coastal Carolina. I didn't see them this past season but watched him as a sophomore. He hit over .450 his sophomore year.

No Union? That surprises me. I'd have them in the 8-10 range, not a lot of respect for a team that has lost less than five games in three years

Watched every play of Central's game Friday night. #1 checks out. They can run, they can throw, and they are very physical, on both offense and defense. Block hard. Hit hard. The Freshman Isaiah Dyer is going to be a really good one. Which is good, because otherwise they are very senior-laden.

Bluefield has more speed than any team LB will play. And a line that is a small college line. They also have the number 7 I’ve really recruit in the class of 2020. Bluefield will be fine vs. LB.

Bluefield will not only be fine vs. LB. I'd be surprised if it's close.

Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT