ADVERTISEMENT

VirginiaPreps.com's Preseason Top Ten Rankings

I'll say that it should be Glenvar, Wilson and Richlands at 1,2 and 3.

Richlands returns a ton, picked up a couple of good transfers, have a good one returning from injury that played sparingly last year and have perhaps their best athlete in the school playing football this year.

I think any one of these 3 and probably 3 or 4 more could win it all this season. Will come down to good decision making in the playoffs.

Wilson and Giles sure lost a lot of talent. Their strong programs will keep them competitive and bound for the postseason, but I don't expect either to win their districts and wouldn't have them in the top 10 I'm sorry to say. Glenvar, Riverheads, Goochlands, and Gate City should be there. I liked what I saw of King William last year, but I haven't heard much about their prospects for this year. What's the good word on Ridgeview? Will they be competitiveimmediately, or will it take a few years to gel?

I think it sucks to be any 1A team not named Essex.

2A should be wide open this year but Glenvar has to get the not.

I now see how Richlands is able to maintain such talent, but they definitely should be ranked high as well.

Only time will tell

Agreed on Gate City and Richlands being the class of the SW. Marion had a good run last year and inaugural Ridgeview could make some waves.

Riverheads and Essex will definitely dominate 1A, but don't forget about Altavista. Honaker, Galax, Luray, and Colonial Beach aren't quite at that level yet, but that's a subject for a different board.

Hard to believe Riverheads is D1. Hard to believe Richlands is D2. It seems both should be 1 classification higher.

I wish I had had the opportunity to see a game at Haysi. White Hat told me about the how their football field was notched into the side of a mountain. And sitting next to their old high school building. I'm a nostalgic old fool, anyway. Plus, in another life I think I was from the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Places like Haysi have seen the best of times, and the worst of times, but the people out there have an incredible ability to persevere. It shows through in their kids on the ole gridiron.

Best of luck to the kids at the new combined school.

I'm told the Haysi field was the worst in the state. Great atmosphere for a game, but the field itself was merely a mudpit.

If you want a field with a beautiful view go to a game at East Rock. Beautiful view of the mountains and valley

My only complaint is that walk to the visitors side! Lol other than that you are right, the school is great

East Rock has some of best facilities in state. It almost has the feel of a college campus.

Some schools have zero pride in their facilities and it reminds me of my younger days, playing ball in a cow pasture.

East Rock has some of best facilities in state. It almost has the feel of a college campus.

Some schools have zero pride in their facilities and it reminds me of my younger days, playing ball in a cow pasture.
And they had leather helmets in your day, right? (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

Reactions: G-DOG2
Is East Rock, East Rockingham in Page County?
No, it is in Rockingham County. Hence the name. Rockingham is a pretty heavily-populated county for this part of the state and it has four high schools. The older ones (Turner Ashby, Broadway, and Spotswood) all play in the Valley District and are on the 3 or 4-A level. East Rock is only entering its sixth year of existence and so far is only a 2-A school, but there is speculation that it will grow eventually and move up to a higher classification. Since you mentioned Page County, it has two high schools, Luray and Page County. I am not sure if Luray is considered an independent city or part of Page County, but since they built two identical high schools a few years ago, that would seem to indicate that they are governed by the same entity.

No, it is in Rockingham County. Hence the name. Rockingham is a pretty heavily-populated county for this part of the state and it has four high schools. The older ones (Turner Ashby, Broadway, and Spotswood) all play in the Valley District and are on the 3 or 4-A level. East Rock is only entering its sixth year of existence and so far is only a 2-A school, but there is speculation that it will grow eventually and move up to a higher classification. Since you mentioned Page County, it has two high schools, Luray and Page County. I am not sure if Luray is considered an independent city or part of Page County, but since they built two identical high schools a few years ago, that would seem to indicate that they are governed by the same entity.

Sorry guys. For some reason your answers to Dinwiddie's question did not immediately show up so I thought no one had responded to him.

I know technically Harrisonburg is its own city but I consider them a Rockingham county school as well

Good information, guys. Thank you. And best wishes to each of you and the teams you support. May the kids stay healthy, the coaches stay wise, and everybody has fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT