ADVERTISEMENT

Warren County Varsity Football Head Coach Vacancy

BullRun66

VaPreps Rookie
Jun 25, 2021
Coach Sarchet resigned shortly after the Wildcats season ended. Reason giving was to move closer to family in Ohio.

Here is the article from the Northern Virginia Daily.

FRONT ROYAL — Jerry Sarchet hasn't lived in his home state of Ohio since 1999 and the Warren County head football coach has decided it was time to make a change.

Sarchet resigned from his position shortly after the Wildcats' football season ended a few weeks ago.

"One of the things that (my wife and I) always talked about is heading back home to Ohio," Sarchet said in a phone interview on Monday. "Our kids only see their grandparents once, maybe twice a year, and we'd like to live closer to home."

Sarchet said he's still looking into where they would be moving to. He said he didn't want to start the offseason at Warren County knowing he wasn't planning on returning next season.

Sarchet led the Wildcats to a 7-6 record this season and to the Region 3B championship game. He coached at Warren County for three years and had an overall record of 11-20.

"It was an enjoyable time," Sarchet said. "The community was great. The kids were even better. I absolutely loved those kids on the team — the past and present kids that I've coached. In a way, I'm kind of bummed about leaving because we had so much youth. I think they're going to have some future runs, kind of like what we did this year. But it also made the decision to go better — I'm at peace because I've left the program better than I found it."

Warren County Athletic Director Bill Hall said he was surprised that Sarchet wanted to leave, but he certainly understood.

"Any time I talk with coaches when someone says 'family,' that's enough said from my perspective," Hall said. "I understand the demands of that job. I understand the wear and tear on the family."

Sarchet said some of his favorite memories from his three years were beating Goochland this season in the Region 3B semifinals and helping Warren County 2021 graduate Bryce Post become the all-time leader in passing yards. Under Sarchet, the Wildcats ran the run-oriented single wing offense. But for the final game of the COVID-19-shortened 2021 season, the Wildcats came out throwing the ball so that Post could break the record.

Sarchet said he was also proud of the way this year's team overcame adversity. In the first scrimmage of the season, junior running back P.J. Dellinger suffered a season-ending injury. However, sophomore Gavin Dodson and freshman Blaise Skube stepped up and combined for 2,051 yards rushing and 18 touchdowns.

"That's a proud accomplishment," Sarchet said. "That we were able to go next man up and really not miss a stride. We performed well under some adversity."

Hall, who was the head football coach at Sherando for 18 seasons, said he has no timetable for finding a new head football coach, but in a perfect world, he would like to start doing interviews in early January.

Hall said he's looking for someone that understands that the job is about more than just winning or losing games.

"I'm just looking for a transformational person," Hall said. "It's so much more than just winning games. We, as an athletic department, we talk all the time about the scoreboard doesn't define success or failure. And I know outside people judge it that way, but that's not how we judge it. You could have won a lot of games or not won a lot of games and that doesn't mean you're being successful in terms of how you're trying to be transformative in the lives of kids. Generally speaking, if you're doing a good job of serving kids in all the different areas, usually success is tied to that. ...The first thing you look at is the person. Trying to find the right person and what's their perspective on their role and their significance in the lives of kids."

Hall said Warren County assistant coaches Josh Breeden Adam Orndorff have talked about opening the weight room for the players starting in January. Hall said he plans on accepting applications through December and then start doing interviews when the school returns from Christmas break. He said if they don't find the right person then they would extend the time frame.

"You build a team in the offseason," Hall said. "The foundation for success is laid in the offseason. We understand that. So obviously there's some urgency to try to find the right person. So we're taking those steps."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT