ADVERTISEMENT

Was reading what LT coach said after game wow.

homeNabroad

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 31, 2014
Blaming refs on that unessery hit or the fieldgoal post that was not wide enough. Listen I'm very young and I might not type everything correctly (sorry for that ) but someone tell me if i am wrong blaming others for your misfortunes specially being a head coach at the end of the day your a role model to us kids. Saying that would be like teaching me when things in my life go wrong blame someone else or a referee for the loss. I am sure meany dislike me on the message board and that is ok. But if Salem did loose Mags would of said the better team won simply put. In fact LT coach also said why do we have to travel so far for games in the championship it is not right. He brung up William and Mary were very that is excuses excuses admit to the loss move on play football.

Reactions: OCBoy
I'll try to help with an adult lesson here.

As you grow older, you will want to remember that a man is not the entirety of his comments made during a press conference or in a newspaper snippet. Sometimes a man, even a role model, says the wrong thing at the wrong time. Sometimes a man says things that he might regret. That might be especially true for a man who has spent over 30 years of his life getting quoted.

Throughout your life and the life of every person in the world, bad things will happen. More times than not, you will find that people rise to the occasion and show incredible grace and dignity. On some occasions, you will find that they won't.

More importantly, you will find that you have a choice. You ALWAYS have a choice.

You can read a newspaper article or listen to a snip of a press conference and you can choose to believe that those 15-20 minutes of a man's life defines his 80-90 years on Earth.

Or you can choose to recognize that perhaps that 15-20 minutes represents a bad moment in his life that he didn't handle very well. But, all in all, the indiscretion is emblematic of the bad moment and not a representation of his contributions to the world.

You ALWAYS have a choice about how you react.

Yes we do have a choice of how we react and probably should pause , as an adult , under emotional stress , especially when younger people under our tutelage are listening ! But one tiny moment in history does not define us !

Reactions: gwb16
I'll try to help with an adult lesson here.

As you grow older, you will want to remember that a man is not the entirety of his comments made during a press conference or in a newspaper snippet. Sometimes a man, even a role model, says the wrong thing at the wrong time. Sometimes a man says things that he might regret. That might be especially true for a man who has spent over 30 years of his life getting quoted.

Throughout your life and the life of every person in the world, bad things will happen. More times than not, you will find that people rise to the occasion and show incredible grace and dignity. On some occasions, you will find that they won't.

More importantly, you will find that you have a choice. You ALWAYS have a choice.

You can read a newspaper article or listen to a snip of a press conference and you can choose to believe that those 15-20 minutes of a man's life defines his 80-90 years on Earth.

Or you can choose to recognize that perhaps that 15-20 minutes represents a bad moment in his life that he didn't handle very well. But, all in all, the indiscretion is emblematic of the bad moment and not a representation of his contributions to the world.

You ALWAYS have a choice about how you react.
PERFECT RESPONSE!
Well played Rod.

Question: Are high school hash marks added & used for these games, or do they use the college hash marks?

Question: Are high school hash marks added & used for these games, or do they use the college hash marks?
Played on a college field so college hash marks were used. High school hash marks with college goal posts would have made FGs even more difficult.

In reference to his William and Mary comment as a location for game:

W&M would not be a good venue for game. I was down that way 2 times in past 30 days. Traffic is horrible on I-64 and even worse on major roads/streets off I-64. Lynchburg is best venue in state for 3A/4A games. (1A and 2A also)

In reference to his William and Mary comment as a location for game:

W&M would not be a good venue for game. I was down that way 2 times in past 30 days. Traffic is horrible on I-64 and even worse on major roads/streets off I-64. Lynchburg is best venue in state for 3A/4A games. (1A and 2A also)
Completely agree! The only other location that would make since for 4A title games would be UVA. I would like to see all 6 state title games played there over 2 days. Other states find a way to do it and it's a huge success! Look at Ohio as an example.. They play 7 games in 2 days at the horseshoe in Columbus and it is even broadcast over TV. I wish the VHSL made a bigger deal of these games.

True, there are a lot of fans who would attend all 6 games if they could. VHSL wastes a lot of time with all the down time between games as they are now. They could adjust game time by 1 hour and schedule another game at each site. I wonder if they've ever thought about this.

Reactions: SalemPride
True, there are a lot of fans who would attend all 6 games if they could. VHSL wastes a lot of time with all the down time between games as they are now. They could adjust game time by 1 hour and schedule another game at each site. I wonder if they've ever thought about this.
I believe someone said earlier that the VHSL has voted on this before and it keeps getting voted down. I would love to know why because it seems like a no brainer for the VHSL, teams and fans.

Completely agree! The only other location that would make since for 4A title games would be UVA. I would like to see all 6 state title games played there over 2 days. Other states find a way to do it and it's a huge success! Look at Ohio as an example.. They play 7 games in 2 days at the horseshoe in Columbus and it is even broadcast over TV. I wish the VHSL made a bigger deal of these games.

VHSL has made that proposal to the members and they voted it down, so the VHSL has done their part.

Email the school principals.

Why would they vote a good idea like that down ? Be a much better deal than what they have now. Sometime I wonder if those voting, have any common sense about sports.

Reactions: SalemPride
It would make sense (to a degree) that the games are played west of the population center of the state. Looking at state finalists historically, the majority are from SWVA. I may be wrong on this, but it sure seems like the football power in VA is concentrated toward the SWVA area, with some outliers in Richmond & 757.

Played on a college field so college hash marks were used. High school hash marks with college goal posts would have made FGs even more difficult.

Right. My point wasn't to complain about the uprights. My point is that the hash mark difference seems like an equally important if not more important change. Wide side of the field is narrower when you're setup on a college hash mark. I guess with no way to change the uprights to high school width, you can't add & use high school hashes due to that issue you mention.

I'm not a HS football coach, but I would not enjoy the change in hash marks & uprights for the most important game of the year.

It would make sense (to a degree) that the games are played west of the population center of the state. Looking at state finalists historically, the majority are from SWVA. I may be wrong on this, but it sure seems like the football power in VA is concentrated toward the SWVA area, with some outliers in Richmond & 757.
Historically D1-D4 have been dominated by SWVA teams. However, D5 & D6 have been dominated by teams out of NOVA, Richmond and of course the 757.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Anyone know when last time D5 and D6 was won by a team not from Richmond area, NOVA or 757 area ? I have no idea.

Richmond would seem like a smart location for D5 & D6, although Charlottesville isn't that far from Richmond & UVA's stadium is pretty nice.

Can anyone speak to the defensive holding & pass interference rules? Coach Sawyer mentioned multiple times that the rules allow contact (not holding, but contact) until the ball is in the air. Is he right? Can you knock an opponent to the ground (without holding) up until the point the ball is thrown? I imagine there's some nuance to this rule that I'm missing.

Anyone know when last time D5 and D6 was won by a team not from Richmond area, NOVA or 757 area ? I have no idea.

Pulaski won state in 1992 when they were 6A.

I mean there's only ever been 4 or 5 schools west of Richmond who were historically AAA that I can think of and that's EC Glass(now 3A or 4A), GW-Danville(4A), Pulaski County(4A), Franklin County(6A), Patrick Henry(4A). I'm not sure of the last 5A champ at all and it could be really, really old if it happened at all under the 1-6A classifications. 6A/AAA there's been some but that was well back into the 60s and 70s when Andrew Lewis(Salem city's HS before SHS was built) won titles.

I mean there's only ever been 4 or 5 schools west of Richmond who were historically AAA that I can think of and that's EC Glass(now 3A or 4A), GW-Danville(4A), Pulaski County(4A), Franklin County(6A), Patrick Henry(4A). I'm not sure of the last 5A champ at all and it could be really, really old if it happened at all under the 1-6A classifications. 6A/AAA there's been some but that was well back into the 60s and 70s when Andrew Lewis(Salem city's HS before SHS was built) won titles.
Glass won in 1988 in a game played in Richmond. A liquor bottle whizzed by my head prior to opening kick off.

Can anyone speak to the defensive holding & pass interference rules? Coach Sawyer mentioned multiple times that the rules allow contact (not holding, but contact) until the ball is in the air. Is he right? Can you knock an opponent to the ground (without holding) up until the point the ball is thrown? I imagine there's some nuance to this rule that I'm missing.

In high school football, DBs are allowed to make contact with the WR as long as the ball is not in the air.

Reactions: WP02alum
Blaming refs on that unessery hit or the fieldgoal post that was not wide enough. Listen I'm very young and I might not type everything correctly (sorry for that ) but someone tell me if i am wrong blaming others for your misfortunes specially being a head coach at the end of the day your a role model to us kids. Saying that would be like teaching me when things in my life go wrong blame someone else or a referee for the loss. I am sure meany dislike me on the message board and that is ok. But if Salem did loose Mags would of said the better team won simply put. In fact LT coach also said why do we have to travel so far for games in the championship it is not right. He brung up William and Mary were very that is excuses excuses admit to the loss move on play football.
Great post and great response by Rod----However, we do know how Coach Mags reacted last year and he had nothing but praise for Lake Taylor. A wise man once said that Character is doing what is right when you think no one is looking but Character is also doing what is right when everyone is looking. The head Coach complained about the venue, officials calls on punt return (there were four flags thrown on that play coach), and even complained about the field goal call (which video evidence shows wide left). He allowed his team and himself to play the role of the victim---that somehow they had something stolen from them because of unknown or unsaid reasons. Yes --you should not judge this coach solely on this response immediately after a tough loss----but at least in this situation his response was a bad example to his kids and community and an insult to the Salem team

Richmond is NOT a good venue for ANY sporting event. football, basketball, or goat roping.
The Redskin training camp is actually quite nice. VCU is a tad small for basketball championships. As far as football, no goat or rat would be caught at City Stadium.

Without looking the rule up I believe it states something to the effect of you are able to hit/contact a WR within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. However, holding is never allowed regardless of where it takes place on the field.

Culpepper County won the D5 title in 1999.

One could argue that Osbourn (2006) and Hylton (1999, 2002) are not strictly part of the NoVa area.

I almost consider anything north of Charlottesville NOVA. With all the traffic lights on 29, traffic is almost bad as NOVA.

I think most folks consider anything north of Fredericksburg as NOVA.

Yeah, I wouldn't put up much of a fight on the issue, but I can see Manassas just as easily lumping themselves in with Fredericksburg and I can see some NoVa people saying that NoVa = Loudoun and Fairfax counties.

Either way, no big whoop.

Yeah, I wouldn't put up much of a fight on the issue, but I can see Manassas just as easily lumping themselves in with Fredericksburg and I can see some NoVa people saying that NoVa = Loudoun and Fairfax counties.

Either way, no big whoop.
Throw in Prince William County also.

Richmond is NOT a good venue for ANY sporting event. football, basketball, or goat roping.

This opinion is ignorant of facts. We get it. You don't have a GPS & are easily confused when other cars are around you on the road. You were unable to find the parking garage on freaking Broad St. directly beside the Siegel Center. I almost replied to your comment on Williamsburg "traffic", but bit my tongue.

Without looking the rule up I believe it states something to the effect of you are able to hit/contact a WR within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. However, holding is never allowed regardless of where it takes place on the field.

I know 5 yard buffer is the rule on certain levels, but is it the rule for HS? Sawyer says no. Anxious to hear from people who know the HS rule.

I know 5 yard buffer is the rule on certain levels, but is it the rule for HS? Sawyer says no. Anxious to hear from people who know the HS rule.
I answered this same question in another thread you asked it.

Salem, Cave Spring, William Fleming, Northside, Heritage, and Halifax Co. (and probably a few others) all spent several years in old AAA, in addition to the ones you mentioned. Halifax won Div. 5, I think, in the early or mid-90's. I'm pretty sure both Northside and Fleming lost in the AAA title game (pre-divisions) in the early '80's. And Salem was Div. 6 runner-up in '86. Fleming and Amherst both lost to Hampton in the Div. 5 title game in the '90's.

As far as champions since going to divisions, though - not much. The ones people have said - Glass '88, Pulaski Co. '92, and Halifax in whatever year that was ('95?). Which figures, since there have been so few schools west of Richmond to carry the Div. 5/6 banner. PH of Roanoke won old AAA in '73, in the playoff era but pre-divisions.

Just fyi, EC Glass is 4A now.

Salem, Cave Spring, William Fleming, Northside, Heritage, and Halifax Co. (and probably a few others) all spent several years in old AAA, in addition to the ones you mentioned. Halifax won Div. 5, I think, in the early or mid-90's. I'm pretty sure both Northside and Fleming lost in the AAA title game (pre-divisions) in the early '80's. And Salem was Div. 6 runner-up in '86. Fleming and Amherst both lost to Hampton in the Div. 5 title game in the '90's.

As far as champions since going to divisions, though - not much. The ones people have said - Glass '88, Pulaski Co. '92, and Halifax in whatever year that was ('95?). Which figures, since there have been so few schools west of Richmond to carry the Div. 5/6 banner. PH of Roanoke won old AAA in '73, in the playoff era but pre-divisions.
I think Amherst was D5 when they won a championship in the 90's...I think

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT