ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Thoughts for 1A

VaSportsJunky

Silver Member
Aug 5, 2024
With GW dominating Radford and Glenvar easily handling Galax, that puts GW right there with Essex for Top 2 teams in the running for the State title.

Essex easily handled Sussex which I thought would have put up a better fight. Maybe being the 1st game under the new HC they have to work out some kinks but I was disappointed in their showing.

Speaking of disappointment, Honaker sure did let me down. Will they bounce back this week?

Patrick Henry going down to Virginia High wasn't on my bingo card now they face a Lebanon team thats feeling good about themselves after taking care of Honaker. They are staring 0-2 (possibly 0-3) right in the face.

Northumberland handled business but looked underwhelming in doing so, not sure they will be a factor this year but its still early and they can get that high powered offense running.

Did someone say high powered offense? Rappahannock 77-0 over Nandua sure did catch my attention. Maybe they can be the in runner up competition in Region A behind Essex

What are yall thoughts on Week 1 in Division 1A

The local paper said Nandua had negative 23 yards total offense and 13 fumbles with Rappahannock recovering 5 and 4 of the 5 were converted into scores. Sounds more like Nandua is WAY down this year. Don’t get me wrong…Rapp has a good number of starters returning this year. They have good size on the lines as well as decent skill guys, but for me, the jury is still out on if they’ve become a threat or not.

As far as "Decent" skill guys, I would put CJ Kelly, Nytrell Ball, and Kenneth Maddison up there with any skill guys in the NNK/Region A. Defensively they may have two of the best MLB's (Chase Self & Kevin Fauntleroy) in the NNK/Region as well. But games are won on the field so on the gridiron is where they will have to earn their respect.

I think Essex is at the top in the NND and Region A. But Northumberland, Rapp, Lancaster and Westmoreland all could beat each other on any given night.

As far as "Decent" skill guys, I would put CJ Kelly, Nytrell Ball, and Kenneth Maddison up there with any skill guys in the NNK/Region A. Defensively they may have two of the best MLB's (Chase Self & Kevin Fauntleroy) in the NNK/Region as well. But games are won on the field so on the gridiron is where they will have to earn their respect.
When I said decent, it was not meant to down play the talents of Rappahannock. On the field is where it has to be earned is right. Essex may be 5-0 and Rappahannock may very well be 6-0 when they meet up in a few weeks in Tappahannock. What an atmosphere that would be. Guess we gotta let things play out until then.

Right now Essex has a big game with 4A Jamestown tonight. The last 3 seasons Essex has won 17-0, 40-0 and 13-0. This year Jamestown has a new coach and look stronger than they have in the last 3 years that Essex has played them. They have a huge O line, can pass and run. This game may be Essex strongest competition until that Rappahannock meeting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son Seals
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT