ADVERTISEMENT

Week #2 Question

4a East Players of the Week:
Dews of Smithfield, Sturdivant of Dinwiddie, and Byrdie of Monacan.

4a West player of the Week:
Frank Ross of Amherst (22 carries, 361 yards, 5TDs)

4a East team of the Week:
Huguenot (2-0 for the first time since 2000.)

4a West team of the Week:
Woodgrove (HUGE win over Ponax)

Note: I know it's not East/west anymore but it's so much easier to differentiate :)

4a East Player of the Week:
Dews of Smithfield and Sturdivant of Dinwiddie.

4a West player of the Week:
Frank Ross of Amherst

4a East team of the Week:
Huguenot (2-0 for the first time since 2000.)

4a West team of the Week:
Woodgrove (HUGE win over Ponax)

Note: I know it's not East/west anymore but it's so much easier to differentiate :)

An outside of the obvious HUGE game this week in Richmond is between JR & Huguenot. JR hung in there for 3 quarters with Riverbend and just upended Douglas Freeman... Huguenot is an improved team who has yet to play anyone of major consequence but has won in impressive fashion. A win from either team would be a huge notch under their belts. Honestly don't know who to pick here. I'll lean toward JR.

The big stunner to me was Lafayette losing to Norcom. That is just unheard of to me. Never would have thunk it even on down year.

Amherst has been a surprise and how ABOUT WOODGROVE easily handling Massopanox. I am beginning to think @Tom Potter is a mastermind and has been bird-doging us the whole time on Woodgrove. Just kidding but what a victory for those guys!

I picked Louisa to go undefeated in the reg season but the fashion in which they are doing it is surprising to me.

Believe my weird science or not but... the Lafayette vs Smithfield game will actually tell me more than the Dinwiddie / Salem game. Did I lose anyone there?

If Smithfield drubs Lafayette then there is order in the universe, regardless of the outcome of the Salem / Dinwiddie game. But if Lafayette beats Smithfield then the laws of physics break down all together for me. If that happens... say it out-loud, Norcom is better than Smithfield and Lafayette?!?!

@BleedingNavy tells me I am over-thinking things. But wow that would be something wouldn't it!

Mbonape1, I only say you are overthinking things, because we are dealing with high school athletes, early season matchups with unfamiliar opponents and teams have yet to mature.

I still have EV and Louisa going unbeaten. Even with one or two losses Monacan and Dinwiddie should garnish the 3rd and 4th seeds; however, if either of the latter two team goes unbeaten or both we will have a mess in region b.

Personally, win or lose I would enjoy playing EV or Louisa in the second round of the regionals. I wouldnt relish playing Monacan for the third year in a row. Got to get there first.

"Amherst has been a surprise and how ABOUT WOODGROVE easily handling Massopanox. I am beginning to think @Tom Potter is a mastermind and has been bird-doging us the whole time on Woodgrove. Just kidding but what a victory for those guys!"

BIG, unexpected win by everyone at Woodgrove! The coaching staff and parents did not expect to go into Week 3, 2-0.

Coach Skinner said it best: "We are now playing with house money"!

I see no reason why these young men & coaching staff cannot win this coming Friday night IF they play the way they played against Massaponax!

Next up, Broad Run, another solid, perennial 5A playoff program.

I cannot wait for tonight, JV team and my son take the field for the first time this year!!!

Last edited:
An outside of the obvious HUGE game this week in Richmond is between JR & Huguenot. JR hung in there for 3 quarters with Riverbend and just upended Douglas Freeman... Huguenot is an improved team who has yet to play anyone of major consequence but has won in impressive fashion. A win from either team would be a huge notch under their belts. Honestly don't know who to pick here. I'll lean toward JR.

The big stunner to me was Lafayette losing to Norcom. That is just unheard of to me. Never would have thunk it even on down year.

Amherst has been a surprise and how ABOUT WOODGROVE easily handling Massopanox. I am beginning to think @Tom Potter is a mastermind and has been bird-doging us the whole time on Woodgrove. Just kidding but what a victory for those guys!

I picked Louisa to go undefeated in the reg season but the fashion in which they are doing it is surprising to me.

Believe my weird science or not but... the Lafayette vs Smithfield game will actually tell me more than the Dinwiddie / Salem game. Did I lose anyone there?

If Smithfield drubs Lafayette then there is order in the universe, regardless of the outcome of the Salem / Dinwiddie game. But if Lafayette beats Smithfield then the laws of physics break down all together for me. If that happens... say it out-loud, Norcom is better than Smithfield and Lafayette?!?!

@BleedingNavy tells me I am over-thinking things. But wow that would be something wouldn't it!
Don't think because Norcom won in week 1 they are neccesarily the better team. Lafayette limited their offense to 1 Td and a measily 109 total yards offense while gaining with all new offensive players about 275. If this was game 4 or 5 the outcome would be different. Remember teams are not static but change weekly.

Reactions: ForksUp
Don't think because Norcom won in week 1 they are neccesarily the better team. Lafayette limited their offense to 1 Td and a measily 109 total yards offense while gaining with all new offensive players about 275. If this was game 4 or 5 the outcome would be different. Remember teams are not static but change weekly.

Agree... just interesting to say the least. If Lafayette beats Smithfield it just adds another level of complexity to finding out who's who. Good luck against Smithfield I MAY take you guys in a rebound game over Smithfield. I'll have to think hard on this one

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Interesting that nobody mentioned Bird losing big to Dale. I wasn't surprised Dale
won, but getting beat that badly was a surprise to me.

Caroline giving PH-A a bit of a game surprised me.

Also, Botetourt beating Blacksburg was not expected.

And how about Clarke County getting that big win in Week #1. Who saw that coming?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT