ADVERTISEMENT

Week 5 Playoff Ratings/Points 3/20/21

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
I am just giving the points, not making any determination on who qualifies for playoffs.

There is a game scheduled for Monday that will effect Region A, I will edit afterwards and there is an ongoing Region A game currently, if that outcome changes I will edit.

Region A:
1. Nottoway (1-0): 20.00
2. King William (3-0): 19.33
3. Randolph Henry (1-0): 18.00
4. Amelia (2-2): 14.00
5. Poquoson (1-2): 13.00
6. Bruton (0-2): 10.00
7. Windsor (0-2): 8.50

Region B:
1. Stuarts Draft (4-0): 22.50
2. Clarke County (2-0): 18.00
2. Page County (3-0): 18.00
4. Strasburg (3-1): 17.25
5. Buffalo Gap (2-2): 15.50
6. Luray (2-2): 13.25
7. Staunton (1-3): 11.25
8. East Rockingham (0-5): 10.00
9. Madison County (0-4): 8.50
9. Stonewall Jackson (0-4): 8.50

Region C:
1. Appomattox (4-0): 20.50
2. Dan River (2-0): 20.00
3. Glenvar (2-2): 17.50
4. Fort Chiswell (3-1): 17.25
5. Radford (3-1): 17.00
6. Giles (2-2): 15.25
7. Gretna (1-1): 13.50
8. Floyd County (2-3): 13.20
9. James River (1-3): 11.75
10. Nelson County (1-3): 11.50
11. Patrick County (1-2): 11.00
12. Alleghany (0-4): 8.00
13. Chatham (0-2): 7.50

Region D:
1. Graham (4-0): 21.00
2. Tazewell (3-1): 18.50
3. Central Wise (3-1): 17.50
4. Union (3-1): 17.00
5. Ridgeview (2-1): 15.00
6. Lebanon (2-2): 14.75
6. Richlands (2-2): 14.75
8. John Battle (1-1): 13.50
9. Marion (1-3): 12.25
10. Virginia (1-3): 12.00
11. Lee (0-4): 9.50
12. Gate City (0-5): 9.00

We have quite a few tight races for those precious spots. It appears that at least Stuarts Draft and Graham have clinched playoff spots no matter what happens rest of way.

Key games this week that will clear things up a bit:

Strasburg vs. Page County
Clarke County vs. Luray
Giles vs. Glenvar
Fort Chiswell vs. George Wythe
Dan River vs. Gretna
Graham vs. Tazewell
Union vs. Central Wise
Ridgeview vs. Abingdon

Good luck to everyone this coming week and beyond

Last edited:
Reactions: matthew328826
Pittsylvania county is not playing in the playoffs. They will have a County championship game and that is it. Therefore Appo has secured the top seed for 2C as of 3/20/21. Also, how does Appo have greater than 80/4 for 20.0 ?

Altavista 16 points class, 2 points for playing down, 2 points for their 1 win
WC 16 points for class, 2 points for playing down, 4 points for their 2 wins
Nelson 18 points class, 2 points for their 1 win

As for Pittsylvania County, that is probably correct, but on VHSL Official Ratings, those teams are listed, so I am not going to take them off

Dan river and Gretna have absolutely no barring on the points , so why even put them in there , sad for them but that is the way it is , so should just take them out and have a real region c ratings list .

Dan river and Gretna have absolutely no barring on the points , so why even put them in there , sad for them but that is the way it is , so should just take them out and have a real region c ratings list .

Read above. THE VHSL HAS THEM INCLUDED, SO I will go off of theirs.

But by all means, if all you want to do is complain about what I put up, then by all means go for it.

I spent A LOT of time trying to do this for the readers on here. I benefits me in no way. So maybe think about that before commenting. Because I will gladly hand the reigns over.

It's simple,.just showing a little appreciation

WC 16 points for class, 2 points for playing down, 4 points for their 2 wins
Nelson 18 points class, 2 points for their 1 win

As for Pittsylvania County, that is probably correct, but on VHSL Official Ratings, those teams are listed, so I am not going to take them off
you gave appo 4 points instead of 2 from Altavistas 1 win thus far.

I’ll believe the “Pittsylvania Co is out” when they don’t show up for playoffs. I’ve heard too many conflicting stories.
If the VHSL will allow them in then they could change their minds at any time.
Don’t like it!
Certainly wouldn’t agree with it!!!!
But....

Thanks for all of this Gunz!

you gave appo 4 points instead of 2 from Altavistas 1 win thus far.

No sir, this is what a Rating will look like

ALTAVISTA: 16/2/2
WILLIAM CAMPBELL: 16/2/4
NELSON COUNTY: 18/2

This had been explained multiple times now. If you don't understand by now, then I am sorry you will have to find someone else to help.

I have been doing this for 15+ years, I would expect people to believe me that I know what I am talking about now

I’ll believe the “Pittsylvania Co is out” when they don’t show up for playoffs. I’ve heard too many conflicting stories.
If the VHSL will allow them in then they could change their minds at any time.
Don’t like it!
Certainly wouldn’t agree with it!!!!
But....

Thanks for all of this Gunz!

You're welcome

No sir, this is what a Rating will look like

WILLIAM CAMPBELL: 16/2/4
NELSON COUNTY: 18/2

This had been explained multiple times now. If you don't understand by now, then I am sorry you will have to find someone else to help.

I have been doing this for 15+ years, I would expect people to believe me that I know what I am talking about now
I do trust and appreciate all you do and have great respect for you. I;m pulling hair out my bald head trying to figure how appo gets 4 win points from altavista instead of only 2 when they have only won 1 game.

I do trust and appreciate all you do and have great respect for you. I;m pulling hair out my bald head trying to figure how appo gets 4 win points from altavista instead of only 2 when they have only won 1 game.
They get 16 base points because Altavista is 1A. They get 2 points for the 1 win. Then they get 2 class points for playing "down" because base points for 2A is 18 points.

This way a 2A school gets the same points as if Altavista was 2A.

Base points for a 3A school is 20. So, if a 3A school played Altavista, they would get 4 class points to make 1A Altavista's base points the same as if they played another 3A school.

They get 16 base points because Altavista is 1A. They get 2 points for the 1 win. Then they get 2 class points for playing "down" because base points for 2A is 18 points.

This way a 2A school gets the same points as if Altavista was 2A.

Base points for a 3A school is 20. So, if a 3A school played Altavista, they would get 4 class points to make 1A Altavista's base points the same as if they played another 3A school.
I understand all of that about playing up and down. But if you look yopu will see we got the base points and the points for playing down correctly. However we got 2 from credit for wins by altavista twice while Altavista has only won one game. After vhsl week 4 official points Appo had a total of 60 , then we beat Alta in week 5 thus giving us an additional 16 base and two for playing down and we got 2 points for WC win in week 5. That makes Appo have a grand total of 80 points divided by 4 for a 20.0 rating.

I understand all of that about playing up and down. But if you look yopu will see we got the base points and the points for playing down correctly. However we got 2 from credit for wins by altavista twice while Altavista has only won one game. After vhsl week 4 official points Appo had a total of 60 , then we beat Alta in week 5 thus giving us an additional 16 base and two for playing down and we got 2 points for WC win in week 5. That makes Appo have a grand total of 80 points divided by 4 for a 20.0 rating.

Ok, I will break it down simpler for you. Just forget the last few weeks.

Appomattox came into the week with 60 points.

You with me so far?

Well then this week, they received 16/2/2 from Altavista. The 16 being the class, 2 being Bonus for playing down, and the 2 for Altavista one win. So that is 80. Now you need to factor in the 2 rider points for William Campbell beating Nelson County. Which takes it to 82.

Maybe you were confused, a team receives rider points for every game that team wins, not just the week you play them

I give up lol. Official points will be out monday. I'd love to have the extra points but you cant get 4 win points out of one win. Thanks for trying to help me but maybe that is why i am oldfool!

I give up lol. Official points will be out monday. I'd love to have the extra points but you cant get 4 win points out of one win. Thanks for trying to help me but maybe that is why i am oldfool!

Who are you saying has 1 win?
As of today:
Appomattox is 4-0: (2 over Altavista, 1 Nelson, 1 William Campbell)
William Campbell is 2-2: (2 wins over Nelson, 1 loss to Appomattox, 1 loss to Altavista)
Altavista is 1-3: (1 win over William Campbell, 2 losses to Appomattox, 1 loss to Nelson County
Nelson County is 1-3: (1 win over Altavista, 2 losses to William Campbell, 1 loss to Appomattox.

Now, for Appomattox, to make it easier:

The 16/2/2 turns into 18/2.

So for what they have so far

Altavista 18/2
William Campbell 18/4
Nelson County 18/2
Altavista 18/2

Total 82

You don't get rider points for the teams record at the time you play them. You get rider points for their final record.

For example, say Appomattox played Stuarts Draft the 1st week. If Appomattox wins, they get 18/0 at that time. But at the end of the season, say Stuarts Draft has 5 wins. That 18/0 turns into the final rating to 18/10

Think of it this way: you get two points twice since you beat them twice.
they have one win, so you get that bonus point added twice.

Guns, keep em coming brother. Much appreciation for what you do. Also, I may lean on you to somehow, someway, get me in the Draft/Reds game. NFHS is nice, but that's a game I am driving up to see in person if I can get in. I would love to meet you. All the best to the classy Draft. Class act school and fans.

Guns, keep em coming brother. Much appreciation for what you do. Also, I may lean on you to somehow, someway, get me in the Draft/Reds game. NFHS is nice, but that's a game I am driving up to see in person if I can get in. I would love to meet you. All the best to the classy Draft. Class act school and fans.

Well even if I had some pull to get others in for SD, the game is at Riverheads so I certainly don't have any there.

Well even if I had some pull to get others in for SD, the game is at Riverheads so I certainly don't have any there.
Going to be one heck of a contest. That game will have so much interest that they surely reach the max limit. I guess I'm stuck with NFHS. I hope Riverheads has a good camera/NFHS setup.

Going to be one heck of a contest. That game will have so much interest that they surely reach the max limit. I guess I'm stuck with NFHS. I hope Riverheads has a good camera/NFHS setup.

I haven't had any issues with NFHS with their replays. And from reading on here they also have Riverheads live on YouTube.

From the replays of the Riverheads games, the quality was as good as Live for the Radford/Glenvar game

Read above. THE VHSL HAS THEM INCLUDED, SO I will go off of theirs.

But by all means, if all you want to do is complain about what I put up, then by all means go for it.

I spent A LOT of time trying to do this for the readers on here. I benefits me in no way. So maybe think about that before commenting. Because I will gladly hand the reigns over.

It's simple,.just showing a little appreciation
Easy Gunz! I know we go back a few years when we all invited you to come on down to Appo and enjoy our hospitality so maybe you still remember we’re just a happy bunch in the depot! Believe me I have no interest In doing what you are doing so thanks for that , I was just saying at some point if they are not playing with the rest in the playoffs then it doesn’t matter what they have but I get it you are doing what the Vhsl is putting out . No more from me on that have a great one !

Easy Gunz! I know we go back a few years when we all invited you to come on down to Appo and enjoy our hospitality so maybe you still remember we’re just a happy bunch in the depot! Believe me I have no interest In doing what you are doing so thanks for that , I was just saying at some point if they are not playing with the rest in the playoffs then it doesn’t matter what they have but I get it you are doing what the Vhsl is putting out . No more from me on that have a great one !

You obviously missed the point. I put in the original post that I am putting the teams that VHSL is putting, and I am not making any determination on who is getting in.

Someone then said they aren't playing in the postseason, which again I explained why they are still listed, and then is where your comment came in. So that is the 3rd time that the same thing was said in the same thread and explained after the 1st 2 already.

As for being calm, I always am. Although, when you put a lot of time into something to help everyone here (as the Ratings of C/D have absolutely no bearing on my team) and Someone constantly disagrees with you (even when the issue is explained many times by myself and others) then that is certainly frustrating.

You obviously missed the point. I put in the original post that I am putting the teams that VHSL is putting, and I am not making any determination on who is getting in.

Someone then said they aren't playing in the postseason, which again I explained why they are still listed, and then is where your comment came in. So that is the 3rd time that the same thing was said in the same thread and explained after the 1st 2 already.

As for being calm, I always am. Although, when you put a lot of time into something to help everyone here (as the Ratings of C/D have absolutely no bearing on my team) and Someone constantly disagrees with you (even when the issue is explained many times by myself and others) then that is certainly frustrating.
Not a problem , it’s been a crazy 2020 and hopefully 2021 will get better and get back to some normalcy. Wish all the schools that are participating a healthy and safe spring season .

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen, the official points are out.

I had missed a couple rider points (in one case I didn't even know they played a game haha). Those effected teams were:

A: King William (I had the right numbers, apparently typed wrong ones in), Amelia (Apparently Central Lunenburg had a game 2 weeks ago), Windsor (Never updated my list for Riders with Amelia forfeit win over Cumberland last week)
C: James River (again, had the right numbers, just mistyped apparently)

I will update the

Gunz you were right about the points for Appo. Never having played a team twice in regular season screwed me up on game win points. I dont read it in the rules that you get win points each time you play a team even when they have only won 1 game, but the vhsl also shows the 2 extra points. Will be intresting to see if that applies to our upcoming game as well.

Gunz you were right about the points for Appo. Never having played a team twice in regular season screwed me up on game win points. I dont read it in the rules that you get win points each time you play a team even when they have only won 1 game, but the vhsl also shows the 2 extra points. Will be intresting to see if that applies to our upcoming game as well.

It may not have happened for Appomattox before, but it does happen from time to time.

As for what you are referring to as win points, you are only looking at them on a weekly basis, while all it does is establish the current points. All that is is updating. It doesn't matter when any of those wins come or against who.

For example (and I will just use a regular 10 game schedule for uniformity), a team can play the best 8-2 team in the division, and it will count the same as another 8-2 who was just fortunate with a weak schedule. Furthermore, if a team plays a division lower (2a vs. 1a), they receive the exact same points as the same record 2a team. Example, same points if a team had beaten both 2a Graham at 9-1 and 1a 9-1 Chilhowie (just examples.

So with the current records of the 4 Appomattox and 3 opponents, as long as Appomattox wins out, it matters ZERO who wins those other games. So 2 weeks left, the schedule is

Appomattox (4-0) vs. William Campbell (2-2) and Nelson County (1-3) vs Altavista (1-3) this week and Appomattox vs Nelson County and William Campbell vs Altavista next week. Lets just say NC wins over AV again.. Appomattox will get 22 points from WC and 2 points from the winner NC for a 24 point week total. If Altavista wins that game they get 4 points from already playing them twice . So with an Appomattox win, they will have 106/108 next week (21.2/21.6).

That means that going into the last week, it's Appomattox (5-0), William Campbell (2-3), Nelson (2-3), Altavista (1-4) or last 2 flipped.

And that 2 point difference is made up one way or another the last week. So if NC beats AV, then the last week Appomattox gets 22 from Nelson and 4 from the WC/AV winner, which gives Appomattox a final point total of 132 . And if AV beats Nelson this week, then they get 20 from Nelson and 4 from the WC/AV winner, for a total of 132.

So no matter what, if Appomattox wins out they will end with 132 total points, or a 22.00 rating

Reactions: oldfool2
To me that sounds unfair to other teams or an incentive to play a team more than once.

To me that sounds unfair to other teams or an incentive to play a team more than once.

Not at all. You aren't getting "extra points" because you are playing them twice.

Just for example those other 3 end up

William Campbell 3-3
Altavista 2-4
Nelson 1-5

It's the same thing as playing 2 different 3-3 teams, 2 2-4 teams, 2 1-5 teams.

Here is the other 2a schools that are 4-0.

SD biggest win is 2-2 Glenvar (so same points as William Campbell), and Graham biggest win is Richlands (so same as William Campbell).

Technically Wilson is the better points win for SD at the moment, but you get my drift.

The points have ZERO to do with how good teams are compared to others with like records. The difference in SD, Appo, and Graham schedule to date is: SD 7wins, Appo 5 wins (since AV counts the exact same as 2 different opponents), and Graham 6 wins.

So with JUST that information, SD has 4 more than Appo, 2 more than Graham. The other 4 point difference comes from 2 opponents being 3a.

Now, going off expected outcomes this week (assuming all 3 win): SD will gain 24, Appomattox 24/26 (already explained above), and Graham 28.

I know points do not determine the full strength of a team. However, it does determine home team for 1st and 2nd round of playoffs. Third round is set by a host b, and d host c. Home field is an advantage and i dont want to travel more than i have to assuming the Gov opens it up for spectators.

I know points do not determine the full strength of a team. However, it does determine home team for 1st and 2nd round of playoffs. Third round is set by a host b, and d host c. Home field is an advantage and i dont want to travel more than i have to assuming the Gov opens it up for spectators.

Wasn't the reason I was explaining it. I was trying to help you understand the points, especially since you wanted to keep telling me I was wrong. But it is what it is. Have a good one

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT