ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we made it!

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
The sun is coming up on our first Football Friday Night in a long long time.

For those of you who support teams that do not start until next weekend, we understand, and share your sadness. So, join with us here to enjoy the games this week.

For 50% of the teams playing this weekend, they will start their season off in the ranks of the undefeated.

For the other 50%, there is work to do and we remind them, it was only ONE game.

To everyone, please check in after the games and add your comments. We want and need your thoughtful perspective.

And finally, everyone please travel safe. We sure as heck don't need to read about one of us in the Preps family being involved in an accident.

Good post, I'm trying to make it home for our game tonight from a work week in CT. Just hoping for no flight delays etc. The anxiety levels are pretty high until I get to the airport on time. I'm glad I'm flying on one of the more reliable airlines & the weather looks good today.

Really looking forward to the 1st game against a tough opponent & Kenny Easley's Hall of Fame induction celebration at the half time!

Only a few more hours my friends. I'm excited, can you tell?

I look forward to hearing inside scoop on what took place at your games.

Everyone be safe.

Reactions: newleather
Good post, I'm trying to make it home for our game tonight from a work week in CT. Just hoping for no flight delays etc. The anxiety levels are pretty high until I get to the airport on time. I'm glad I'm flying on one of the more reliable airlines & the weather looks good today.

Really looking forward to the 1st game against a tough opponent & Kenny Easley's Hall of Fame induction celebration at the half time!
I figure you are either are somewhere close to home, and happy? Or just about ready to explode. I hope it's the first. Good luck tonight.

Made the 1st leg of my flight, my 4:25 pm connection out of Baltimore isn't delayed. So far so good. At this point I'm not sure if I'll even stop to pick up my bags before heading to the game. They can hold onto those until after the game, right?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

For those of you who support teams that do not start until next weekend, we understand, and share your sadness. So, join with us here to enjoy the games this week.

For 50% of the teams playing this weekend, they will start their season off in the ranks of the undefeated.

For the other 50%, there is work to do and we remind them, it was only ONE game.

To everyone, please check in after the games and add your comments. We want and need your thoughtful perspective.

And finally, everyone please travel safe. We sure as heck don't need to read about one of us in the Preps family being involved in an accident.

DP-as always you show a tremendous amount of class, and character. By far, one of the most enjoyable posters on this board.
There is nothing better than game day, I have the tires rotated and the oil changed so the car is ready to see as many teams as possible. What a perfect night for football. Good Luck everyone.

Lafayette starts next week but tonite I head to the Warhill/Heritage Newport News game here. Warhill is in a couple of weeks and Heritage a possible opponent in the playoffs.

DP-as always you show a tremendous amount of class, and character. By far, one of the most enjoyable posters on this board.
There is nothing better than game day, I have the tires rotated and the oil changed so the car is ready to see as many teams as possible. What a perfect night for football. Good Luck everyone.
Thank you sir, that means a lot to me.

Wow! What a night of football. Some surprising outcomes, some not so surprising, and some that went about like we expected.

But we all won. We got to see or experience a game that we all love so dearly.

I'm exhausted and calling it a night. Let's all share our stories over the weekend. Goodnight.

Reactions: lyhsports
That was a heck of a game tonight. ESPN missed an opportunity by passing on giving this game National T.V. coverage. Momentum changed several times with one player, #31 Allen Glanville, proving to be unstoppable. He blocked a punt for a TD and ran for 2 scores from the Wildcat. The last one occurred after a controversial 4th down & 10, pass interference call.

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this year despite the loss. This Smith team played with determination and heart at a level above even what is normally expect from the Tigers. It was a hard fought battle that could have been a blowout if they had dropped their heads tonight. That didn't happen and anyone that gets on the field with those kids, better be prepared to get popped pretty good & then get popped again.

No one likes to lose, but in this case, Smith might rather have lost their first game instead of their last like they did in 2011. In that case it was against Gilman on ESPN.

Mbonape1, tell me about your game. You probably did a game analysis somewhere else, but I'm just getting started this morning on catching up.

What little I saw on the news last night concerned me. I would have expected a 45-7 win. It looked like you had trouble controlling the run game.

From what I heard about the Hermitage/Hanover scrimmage, Hanover is way down again this season.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
@DinwiddieProud
I think Hanover being waay down is exagerated... I'd say they are substantially improved from last year. But looking at their schedule I can't find a lot of teams they can beat. Certainly had a lot more than 25 players.

6 minutes into the game it looked like a blowout. We are up by 20, drive down and are decemated by penalties and are back to 4th and 8 on our own terrotory... and coach henderson goes for it again! Changed the entire game. 3 penalties later they have the ball first down on our 9 yrd line. Score! On side kick.. recovered. 1 first down later monacan gets 15 yrd penalty.. hanover kicker hits the bar and it falls in... next series monacan drives down again in the redzone and hanover gets a diving Interception in the endzone. Ball set to the 20 yrd line. First play 80 yard bomb with noone around the reciever with 15 yrds. Hanover scores.

Hanover was better than I thought and are definately a scrappy bunch.

Monacan performance was dissapionting. We can't do anything wothout a flag being thrown. We had at least 3 maybe 4 would be scoring drives where we KILLED ourselves with penalties. Offsides, holding, late hits u name it. Oh did I mention they blocked a field goal and then threw. 40yrd bomb the next play!

Also lots of just misses on TD throws.. timing looked off as well. Our last scrimmage got cancelled do to weather so just didnt look sharp. Really need to stop throwing hail marys or screens every single play and establish a run.

I wouldn't read too much into it... but I wouldn't bet the farm on Monacan after last night either. I expect to be much better next week. If not, then that will be concerning

It is ridiculous the amount of penalties in HS football now. It really kills the games... literally every other play. Our game took over 3 hrs! So much dead stoppage time

Another way of looking at it is, the players are not being coached as well. Hence more mistakes , more cheating like holding and blocking in the back. I blame the coaches and players before the officials. I didn't see one penalty Friday night for both teams that wasn't deserved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT