ADVERTISEMENT

Welp

Me too Hokie
I think we are tough critics because we see what the best in 4a has to offer and we are always comparing the current team to those teams or past Spartan teams.

I dont even know them and I told you that you shouldnt

I thought GW would win but I wouldn't have put Salem's chances at something low like 10%, a win wouldn't have shocked me at all. What I didn't see, and what I guarantee you nobody else did, was them blanking GW while the 1s were still in. This was that level of play Salem showed against Dinwiddie that they'd basically been searching for ever since and it was bad luck for GW that they found it when they did.

I thought GW would win but I wouldn't have put Salem's chances at something low like 10%, a win wouldn't have shocked me at all. What I didn't see, and what I guarantee you nobody else did, was them blanking GW while the 1s were still in. This was that level of play Salem showed against Dinwiddie that they'd basically been searching for ever since and it was bad luck for GW that they found it when they did.

I picked GW because of all the talk since I really don't know either. I was referring to earlier in the year when you and I went back and forth. I just thought the talk about coaching and players was crazy. I guess at least right now I was correct

Never saw this one coming. Don't know how Mags does it but man does he do it. D picked a hell of a time to show up and get things done against the most prolific O in 4A. I don't doubt them often (because they rarely give me reason) but man did they ever prove me wrong.
Mags is one of the best coaches around. He gets his team ready for the playoffs and his team improves this time of year when it really matters

As one who has seen both programs a lot over the years the crowd in Danville was treated to what a real program and contender looks like compared to another that is just a pretender and basically has been a pretender for about twenty years now. Congrats to the Spartans and good luck the rest of the way. For GW tonight just solidified there status as a perennial pretender in recent times that has feasted on the soft under belly known as the Piedmont District. They have and have had some great individual players over the last twenty years but, the program is now many notches below its former status as a perennial AAA playoff contender and proof that you can have really good skill people but, until you actually have proficient interior line play on both sides of the ball and can actually play defense with consistent fundamentals you have a diminished to nonexistent chance to be a real threat come playoff time.

As one who has seen both programs a lot over the years the crowd in Danville was treated to what a real program and contender looks like compared to another that is just a pretender and basically has been a pretender for about twenty years now. Congrats to the Spartans and good luck the rest of the way. For GW tonight just solidified there status as a perennial pretender in recent times that has feasted on the soft under belly known as the Piedmont District. They have and have had some great individual players over the last twenty years but, the program is now many notches below its former status as a perennial AAA playoff contender and proof that you can have really good skill people but, until you actually have proficient interior line play on both sides of the ball and can actually play defense with consistent fundamentals you have a diminished to nonexistent chance to be a real threat come playoff time.

I thought the D would catch up to them eventually, just didn't think it would be us. You can't give up 300+ points in 12 games and expect to go far. They gave up 150 to their first 3 foes (what I'd consider their 3 toughest foes as well) in LCA, Amherst, and JF. They tightened up the rest of the way but against mostly sub-par district competition so you were left wondering if they had truly fixed those early week problems or if the recent results were just teams who couldn't score if there wasn't a D on the field.

A lot will be made (rightfully so) of Salem's D totally shutting down an O that had scored 600+ in only 11 games but Salem still put 42 on the board before easing up so asking a team to put 43 up to win, especially in the playoffs, is a tall order indeed.

Regardless, GW was clearly not as bad as this game made them seem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT