ADVERTISEMENT

West ratings points

anybody have the current unofficial ratings points for the west ?
I hate doing those things now that they've complicated the rider points with the bonus for bigger teams playing down or whatever. Safe to say JF, Sherando, and Salem probably in the top 3 or 4 in bye spots if they keep winning.

Outside of district play which you cannot control and those teams tend to beat up on each other , between JF and Salem the two games that are big are William Byrd at Magna Vista because Salem beat Byrd and JF beat Magna Vista and also, Northside at Staunton River Oct 9th . Obviously a loss by either team would be crushing for points . Salem has at Northside , at Patrick Henry and home against Pulaski as toughest . JF plays Staunton River , Brookville . The rest of Seminole looks down.

Outside of district JF plays William Fleming , Patrick Henry, Staunton River and Magna Vista .

Salem plays Northside, Amherst , Patrick Henry and William Byrd . Not sure technically about the districts anymore but in regard to points the biggest games will be the two described above !

Outside of district JF plays William Fleming , Patrick Henry, Staunton River and Magna Vista .

Salem plays Northside, Amherst , Patrick Henry and William Byrd . Not sure technically about the districts anymore but in regard to points the biggest games will be the two described above !
PH is a district game. Just 3 OOD- Northside, Byrd, and Amherst

Thanks New Guy, and welcome aboard.

Until the VHSL starts reporting the points, the rest of us suffer. Because we all hate trying to do the math.

So you are welcome with open arms.

Of course, Matt of Gilliam's Ratings can do the math in his head while he sleeps, but he ain't normal.

It is early, but LCA has a little work to do. Mike, looking at their remaining schedule, what's your guess as to where they will be seeded at playoff time?

Yep,thanks New Guy. Everyone watch out for John Champe out of Aldie , VA. They are going to be a sleeper this year, next year , year they will be another Loudoun school that is tough. Still hard to believe they beat Woodgrove, but anything can happen on any given Friday:)

Thanks New Guy, and welcome aboard.

Until the VHSL starts reporting the points, the rest of us suffer. Because we all hate trying to do the math.

So you are welcome with open arms.

Of course, Matt of Gilliam's Ratings can do the math in his head while he sleeps, but he ain't normal.

It is early, but LCA has a little work to do. Mike, looking at their remaining schedule, what's your guess as to where they will be seeded at playoff time?
Honestly DP I know it's only 1/3 of the way through the season, but LCA is in real danger of missing the playoffs. They are 2-1 and if these points are accurate they are currently 20/29. Only 12 teams make the West playoffs this year. They still have to play Woodberry Forest, who beat Bishop McNamara 37-18, while BM beat LCA 35-0. They also have Charlotte Christian & Benedictine 2 teams that beat LCA last year. They have an average of 17.3 playoff points per game thus far compared to the 12th place team that has 19.7. Two of the public schools they have yet to play (Granby & Franklin Co) will likely provide very few rider points, although they are both D6. Most of the private schools they play will probably be considered D3 and below for points purposes. If I had to guess they may need 8 wins just to get a low seed in the playoffs. My guess is they'll come up short this year. I think they'll end up about 7-3, maybe only 6-4. Because of the private schools being lower classified for playoffs points purposes I think it will cost them this year. Honestly 7 wins considering their schedule is like most schools 5 win season, just my opinion. We'll see how it all plays out.

Well, I know you are rooting for them. And truthfully, so am I too, to some extent. But mainly to add a little more excitement to the playoffs. But it doesn't look good for them based on what you said.

I thought you had made a mistake when you said only 12 playoff teams. But I was told today that was what your region chose? The other region is doing 16 with the top 4 having a first week bye?

I thought you had made a mistake when you said only 12 playoff teams. But I was told today that was what your region chose? The other region is doing 16 with the top 4 having a first week bye?

What region is doing this?

I think we need to pull for LCA to have a decent season, because I think a bad season will only cause them to recruit even harder in the future.

I think we need to pull for LCA to have a decent season, because I think a bad season will only cause them to recruit even harder in the future.
Maybe so! I think their initial intentions are good, I'm an alumnus, if that's the proper term. Competitively speaking though if they don't make it, they may resort to that, I certainly hope not. Especially considering their Christian stance, I hope it would be beneath them to do such a thing, morally speaking. Next year I'm sure they'll try to get more of a VHSL schedule. In '17 they will be full members of the Seminole, if they deserve to be in the playoffs, that schedule will certainly be sure to get them there.

Last edited:
Ok Mike, I'm still confused. Is the entire west doing 12 plus four? Or are two conferences doing this, and the other two doing something different?

I've seen you mention twice that only 12 make the playoffs in your area. Was that a miss understanding on my part?

Ok Mike, I'm still confused. Is the entire west doing 12 plus four? Or are two conferences doing this, and the other two doing something different?

I've seen you mention twice that only 12 make the playoffs in your area. Was that a miss understanding on my part?

I believe it will look something like this:
Seed them 1-12

8 vs. 9 winner vs. 1 who has a bye
5 vs. 12 winner vs. 4 who has a bye

6 vs. 11 winner vs. 3 who has a bye
7 vs. 10 winner vs. 2 who has a bye

Winners meet, so 12 teams with 8 playing first round and 4 having a bye

Reactions: mike salem

Devils has it right only 12 teams make it in West this year. Of those 12 top 4 get a bye week 1 of the playoffs.

http://m.roanoke.com/sports/high_sc...270-61a2-5f96-b90f-17812e967ee3.html?mode=jqm

Last edited:
GW may be looking at a 5-6 seed thanks to the weak Piedmont. Rider points aren't going to be nice to them this year. Tunstall is winless, Athens Drive is winless, Patrick County is Patrick County, Franklin County is probably looking at a 1-9 season..Sucks!

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Salem won't likely get the 1 seed this yr if these #'s are accurate. RRD is not as strong as the Seminole & the only 2 good teams Salem has left is PH & Pulaski. JF still has Heritage, Rustburg, & Brookville who will all have numerous wins this yr. SR & MV will give JF more rider points than Salem will get from Byrd & Northside. Both teams play PH as well so that's a wash, if JF goes undefeated-very likely too, they will outpoint Salem for the 1 seed, not even considering John Champe or Heritage LC, who could also get the 1 seed.

LCA won't make the playoffs this yr if these numbers are accurate. They have Woodberry Forest Fri, Charlotte Christian, & Benedictine still to play- all beat LCA last yr. They play Granby & Franklin Co (6a's) but neither will provide many rider pts (combined 1-6 this yr so far)

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
GW may be looking at a 5-6 seed thanks to the weak Piedmont. Rider points aren't going to be nice to them this year. Tunstall is winless, Athens Drive is winless, Patrick County is Patrick County, Franklin County is probably looking at a 1-9 season..Sucks!
Don't feel bad, Salem has a good shot at being undefeated and not getting the 1 seed. JF will outpoint them if these numbers are accurate. Seminole is stronger than the RRD this yr. PH & Amherst are a wash since both teams play & MV,SR will provide more pts than Byrd,Nside. Here's hoping GW will beat MV, Nside beats SR, & most importantly Brookville beats JF from my viewpoint anyway! Byrd losing to MV this week by 1 pt this w/e didn't help! Not even considering Heritage (LC) or Champe could outpoint both idk, haven't even looked at that

Last edited:
Did any of the other classifications change their playoff structure as well?

I called the VHSL in order to collect information to write an article about how each of the classifications will be set up this year. Set a meeting for later this week to get a "finalized" version as nothing has been officially voted upon and turned into the VHSL yet.

Should have an article out in the coming weeks with specifics for each class.

I called the VHSL in order to collect information to write an article about how each of the classifications will be set up this year. Set a meeting for later this week to get a "finalized" version as nothing has been officially voted upon and turned into the VHSL yet.

Should have an article out in the coming weeks with specifics for each class.
got it, thanks Rod

I've never really looked into how these points are calculated, but from what I gather a lot of you all certainly do so thought I'd ask a couple things.

If say Louisa County were to really get their act together and string together a bunch of wins at the end of the season, would that impact Sherando's points at all or would it be static? Also, how does out of state competition affect ratings?

Salem needs Woodgrove to beat Heritage & Heritage to beat Champe to have a good shot for a top 2 seed. Brookville to upset JF to get the 1 seed if those other things happen.
From what I've seen from Salem, JF, and GW so far, I don't think it really matters what seed they finish. I think all 3 teams, if healthy, will be a tough out until they play each other. Looks like Salem just reloaded and isn't missing a beat, especially those sophomores they have starting. I don't think Salem fans have anything to worry about.

I've never really looked into how these points are calculated, but from what I gather a lot of you all certainly do so thought I'd ask a couple things.

If say Louisa County were to really get their act together and string together a bunch of wins at the end of the season, would that impact Sherando's points at all or would it be static? Also, how does out of state competition affect ratings?

Yes, every win Louisa gets is 2 tenths of a point on Sherando's final point total. It appears to me by looking at the possible bonus points available out there that Jefferson Forest and Sherando have the strongest chances of being number 1 overall if they don't lose. The Salem/Pulaski winner and the John Champe/Heritage winner will be 3rd and 4th seeds if they don't lose.

I'll go out on a limb and say:

#1 Sherando (Barely) - They still have 4 teams that will win 7 games before the season is over to play yet
#2 Jefferson Forest - They finish ahead of Sherando if the Warriors don't get all the points they should
#3 Salem - Really not real close to catching either of the top 2
#4 John Champe - Will be very close with Salem for #3

What do I know though...there is still 7 weeks of football left.

Yes, every win Louisa gets is 2 tenths of a point on Sherando's final point total. It appears to me by looking at the possible bonus points available out there that Jefferson Forest and Sherando have the strongest chances of being number 1 overall if they don't lose. The Salem/Pulaski winner and the John Champe/Heritage winner will be 3rd and 4th seeds if they don't lose.

I'll go out on a limb and say:

#1 Sherando (Barely) - They still have 4 teams that will win 7 games before the season is over to play yet
#2 Jefferson Forest - They finish ahead of Sherando if the Warriors don't get all the points they should
#3 Salem - Really not real close to catching either of the top 2
#4 John Champe - Will be very close with Salem for #3

What do I know though...there is still 7 weeks of football left.

Thanks a bunch for clearing that up for me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT