ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a year makes

Flame48

VaPreps Rookie
Jan 10, 2010
I posted on this site a ???? What happen to Northside Basketball and where r all the athletes. People took it as a slight towards Billy ( which it wasn't). It was just a question to generate some conversation and it sure did. LOL I'm not sure what happen to change the attitude of either the athletes , coach r a combination of things but they look nothing like last year. I no NS has transitioned into a football school but they can have both. On the surface it looks as if Billy and the Football Coach had a come to JESUS meeting and said lets work together so Basketball can Reap the benefits of these athletes. What ever cause the change Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Another note I just recently saw Magna Vista play basketball. OMG they have athletes coming out the wood work. They have a couple of good Basketball players but loads of athletes. ??????? Where in the world did these kids come from. I C now how they won a state football title. These Kids look like Tidewater and Richmond athletes. VT and UVA might wana make a road trip to RIDGEWAY in a quick hurry. I dont no what kinda $$$$$$$$ Henry County pays their coaches but if I were a coach that's one school I would B applying to. They seem to Be loaded with young Athletes also just recently saw LP middle school play (their feeder school) and they R loaded with young athletes as well . Watch out for MAGNA VISTA!!!!!!!

Getting 20 pts. a game from crosstown might have a little to do with it as well. ;-)

seems like northside always benefits from fleming and ph upset athlete/parents. why not byrd, cave spring, hidden valley, etc?

As Chris Carter says COME ON MAN thats easy. It's location location location 5minutes away vs 15-20 min. and secondly the demographic of the school and Kid's R a better fit at NS vs HV, CS, LB, or WB.

JUST saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct. If LB was closer it could be an option as well. Also the NS administration/staff and parents/boosters are much more accommodating in most cases compared to the fairly insular environments of the other schools mentioned.

Isn't it funny what depth some school and administration will go to just to WIN. I 'll never Question R second guess a Parent for transferring their kid for Academic or Athletic reasons as long as it is done above water. People on these sites often say what they would and wouldn't do but U never no until U R put n that situation I would hope as a Parent U would go to the MOON and back for son or daughter and sacrifice @ any cost. Now with that being said Schools and Admin. should B put under the Microscope to make sure they follow proper procedures for the transfer. Not sure thats happening in all cases

cutnjump you are correct about the ns admin being flexible to such. i am really surprised that more schools in the area are not upset? shocking is more like it. lol

I think it is what it is now. Leftovers(who doesn't post much here anymore but, who I have great respect for) and I used to banter back and forth about this all the time. My thinking has changed over time on this a little based on those discussions. I am still not on board with admins initiating the process, even if it is the passive aggressive manner of using a third party to tell the kid or his parents to call if they have interest, however, if a kid and/or their parent(s) want to go so be it because trying to force someone to stay more often than not just makes everybody miserable in the long run.

As far as this specific case goes I don't think there is much of an uproar because in the grand scheme of things the reality of the transfer is it has little to no effect on either school involved or their conference partners in terms of actually being relevant come state playoff time. Coach Pope is a good coach, in my opinion, and based on my limited exposure to him I think the kid is a good kid as well. I do not believe he got the best advice or was well served in this case but, that has absolutely nothing to do with admin/staff inside of either school.

I think the kid was well served academically and athletically. Coach Pope is a good coach but more he is a good person. When you send your kid to school you want the people around them to be an extinction of you. Adults that care about the students and their future. You want a school with discipline because all kids need it. When you go over to NS that's is what you see from their students and falculty. I see how Pope is with his players not cursing them and he teaches them the game, holds them accountable for what they do on and off the court. The kid has to put the work in doing the summer anyway if he wants to play in college we all know its about AAU. Just adding to the discussion.

Thanks. I still have room for improvement with that missing .3%. Looks like our discussion has now entered the validation phase based on the "extinction" of just adding to the discussion below. ;-)

This post was edited on 2/7 8:06 AM by cutnjump

In this case, the young man went to school in the Northside district.....

......before moving over to the PH district. There was some familiarity with the school, coaches, and players which probably made it easier for him to come back.

I don't think it has anything to do with Pope and Torrence working....

.....together. Basham is the only one that is a major contributor to both programs. None of the other players getting major minutes in basketball plays football. In today's age it's not surprising to see that, as kids are spending more time in travel/AAU sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT